Text Size

Cleveland Browns & The NFL

Why The Browns Will Lose Tomorrow

Talk Browns football and discuss the NFL here.

Moderators: peeker643, jb, swerb, pup

Why The Browns Will Lose Tomorrow

Unread postby hiko » Sat Sep 10, 2011 1:29 pm

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2011/09/quarterback_colt_mccoy_has_pot.html

Pashos doubtful: Right tackle Tony Pashos was limited Friday and is doubtful with a left ankle injury.

If Pashos can't play, he'll be replaced by either Oniel Cousins or Artis Hicks. But Hicks, who was signed Sunday, must also be ready at left guard, where starting rookie Jason Pinkston is suffering from a knee injury. Pinkston was added to the injury report as probable but practiced fully.

Linebacker Chris Gocong (neck) was also limited and is questionable. He'd be replaced by Kaluka Maiava. On the plus side for the Browns, tight end Ben Watson (hip) participated fully for the first time all week.

Pashos, who missed most of last season with a right ankle injury, was vague about his injury.

"It's a soreness, something that's preventing me from doing things at a high level right now," he said.

He said he would've benefited from being able to work with the Browns' trainers during the off-season, but the lockout prevented it.
hiko

Favorite Player: Gray
Least Favorite Player: Black and White

Re: Why The Browns Will Lose Tomorrow

Unread postby Prosecutor » Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:25 pm

The Browns are going to lose to the 4-12 Bengals minus Carson Palmer because Pashos can't play and maybe not Gocong either?

Yeah, those guys are the keys to our offense and defense. No chance of beating the Bungles without those two hitting on all cylinders.

If they lose it will because God hates Cleveland and the Browns always lose their first game. Well not always. They did win one opener since 1999.
Prosecutor
Plutonian Outliers

Unread postby hiko » Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:49 pm

I meant it mainly with Pashos. And Pinkston hurting. So we have preseason cuts Cousins and (to a lesser degree) Hicks taking their first starting snaps in a Real Game.

I just get a bad feeling that the Cincy Front 7 will kill us. Hope I'm damn wrong.
hiko

Unread postby Prosecutor » Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:34 am

I hear you, but if Pinkston is getting killed they can always put Hicks in. He's a 10-year vet with over 60 career starts, so he should be able to at least hold his own. It's not like the Bengals have Ndomukan Suh.

Cousins probably starts at RT, which is not good, but if he was good enough to make the Ravens roster for three years and Heckert snapped him up as soon as he was cut loose (after the Rats signed Bryant McKinnie), then he must be able to play a little. I'm not a huge Pashos fan even when he's healthy so it might not be much of a drop off.

Still, you have a good point. Love your columns, by the way.
Prosecutor
Plutonian Outliers

Unread postby Triple-S » Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:11 pm

Bengals 23, Browns 13

fucking right side of the offensive line! didn't do shit to help it in the off-season. Pasho's is unreliable as all hell.
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories

Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Unread postby leadpipe » Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:57 pm

There's still a pretty good chance that a dolt like Marvin Lewis isn't even aware which side of the line is injured.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby hiko » Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:23 pm

Prosecutor wrote:I hear you, but if Pinkston is getting killed they can always put Hicks in. He's a 10-year vet with over 60 career starts, so he should be able to at least hold his own. It's not like the Bengals have Ndomukan Suh.

Cousins probably starts at RT, which is not good, but if he was good enough to make the Ravens roster for three years and Heckert snapped him up as soon as he was cut loose (after the Rats signed Bryant McKinnie), then he must be able to play a little. I'm not a huge Pashos fan even when he's healthy so it might not be much of a drop off.

Still, you have a good point. Love your columns, by the way.

Thanks, and I still maintain that the Browns might've pulled that out at the end with adequate RT play. Cousins was released early by the Ravens - if he had any value at all, they would've at least kept him as a backup.
hiko

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:24 pm

If only we had Pashos.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby FUDU » Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:23 pm

Anybody who blames Colt or Haden for this loss should check themselves into the "I didn't watch the game and have no idea WTF I am talking about" clinic.

I can provide transportation if you need it.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby pup » Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:28 pm

FUDU wrote:Anybody who blames Colt or Haden for this loss should check themselves into the "I didn't watch the game and have no idea WTF I am talking about" clinic.

You already know the route, that much I am quite sure of.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby FUDU » Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:32 pm

pup wrote:
FUDU wrote:Anybody who blames Colt or Haden for this loss should check themselves into the "I didn't watch the game and have no idea WTF I am talking about" clinic.

Guilt getting to you pup, I mean really I suspected you'd be in the bunch I just didn't think you'd jump at the chance to be the first.

I can put you down for blaming Colt no doubt.

8 penalties in 18 minutes and the debacle that was the super sneaky hey look over there while we snap it play fall on the coaches as much if not more than the players, and after the way the players stepped up to turn this game around they didn't deserve to lose b/c of such of monumental blunder.

Lots of blame to go around today, but little of it goes to the brightest spots on the offense and the defense.

FUDU

Unread postby pup » Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:40 pm

FUDU wrote:
pup wrote:

Guilt getting to you pup, I mean really I suspected you'd be in the bunch I just didn't think you'd jump at the chance to be the first.

8 penalties in 18 minutes and the debacle that was the super sneaky hey look over there while we snap it play fall on the coaches as much if not more than the players, and after the way the players stepped up to turn this game around they didn't deserve to lose b/c of such of monumental blunder.

Lots of blame to go around today, but little of it goes to the brightest spots on the offense and the defense.

Haden not so much.

Punch and Judy Colt though? He got 2 shots at a game winning drive. The first, on 3rd and 10 he through the go route. And missed it by Lake County. Poor choice, worse execution. Then he got it back and on 4th down threw it to his center. His god damn center. Who wasn't even open.

There is a time to shine as an NFL QB. Ours went bitch.

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:40 pm

:pop:
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby FUDU » Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:45 pm

pup wrote:
FUDU wrote:
pup wrote:

Haden not so much.

Punch and Judy Colt though? He got 2 shots at a game winning drive. The first, on 3rd and 10 he through the go route. And missed it by Lake County. Poor choice, worse execution. Then he got it back and on 4th down threw it to his center. His god damn center. Who wasn't even open.

Colt provided a game winning drive, problem is the coaching staff never instilled any discipline into the defense on how to avoid getting burnt by 4th grade flag football stunts. Colt didn't play exceptionally well, however he made enough plays to keep this team in the game and over come a 13 pt deficit (by putting up 17 unanswered points) and give them the lead in a crucial moment of the game.

Just b/c you reply to game threads doesn't equate to you watching the game, and pull your pants up your agenda is showing.

FTR I have roughly 90 minutes a week to spend on the Internet right now, I'm not wasting more than 4 of them on you and your subjectivismness.

FUDU

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:49 pm

Colt provided a game winning drive,

He did? When was that?

I do remember him throwing a 3 Stooges pass to a Bungles defender there in the 4th. That was kinda funny.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:51 pm

FTR I have roughly 90 minutes a week to spend on the Internet right now,

Are you in jail?
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby FUDU » Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:54 pm

Game winning drives are not exclusive to < 2 minutes on the game clock.

Tomorrow we can cover the numbers 1 & 2 and the letters S F & M.

FUDU

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:58 pm

CDT, w/ the throwback to the in jail peep may have just locked down post of the year.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:59 pm

BTW: the irony of FUDU calling out people for not watching games and commenting on them is the greatest invention in the history of the internet.

Also, apparently there are different types of game winning drives that don't win games. I'm in heaven.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby pup » Sun Sep 11, 2011 6:13 pm

FUDU wrote:
pup wrote:
FUDU wrote:
pup wrote:

Haden not so much.

Colt provided a game winning drive, problem is the coaching staff never instilled any discipline into the defense on how to avoid getting burnt by 4th grade flag football stunts. Colt didn't play exceptionally well, however he made enough plays to keep this team in the game and over come a 13 pt deficit (by putting up 17 unanswered points) and give them the lead in a crucial moment of the game.

Just b/c you reply to game threads doesn't equate to you watching the game, and pull your pants up your agenda is showing.

[b]FTR I have roughly 90 minutes a week[/b] to spend on the Internet right now, I'm not wasting more than 4 of them on you and your subjectivismness.

Any way we can get that down to 9?

Love the agenda angle. Like I am trying to get a job in the Browns front office. Or I am trying to land any type of job or a promotion.

So glad Colt could lead the team to a strong 2nd quarter.

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Unread postby pup » Sun Sep 11, 2011 6:19 pm

FUDU wrote:Game winning drives are not exclusive to < 2 minutes on the game clock.

Tomorrow we can cover the numbers 1 & 2 and the letters S F & M.

Come on. You all remember the times they showed the great ones and all of their brought the team back from 13 down in the second quarter stats. They show it all of the time. They really love to highlight the times they do that, and end up losing by 10 after they throw fourth down passes to their centers. Sorry, covered centers.

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Unread postby comish » Sun Sep 11, 2011 6:21 pm

pup wrote:
FUDU wrote:
pup wrote:

Haden not so much.

/\ * a million

I want to believe in the kid...I really do.... :thumbdown: :pb: :thud:
"Get busy living, or get busy dying."
comish
Champion of Mediocrity

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sun Sep 11, 2011 6:24 pm

Too early to quit on the kid, be real and I didn't have even 1% hope he would finish or start that drive.

Fact is this team blows goats.

Colt is still a WHODAFUCKKNOWS.

And the team still blows.

Frankly, one more game like this and they return to I Don't Give A Fuck land.

Rather gamble and watch that.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby comish » Sun Sep 11, 2011 6:28 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:Too early to quit on the kid, be real and I didn't have even 1% hope he would finish or start that drive.

It IS to early, no doubt, but I'm sure you have watched enough to differentiate between a PLAYA and a BUST OUT....against that crappy defense, at home, and in the opener, he HAS TO cash in one of those two drives...he didn't. We are in the Luck sweepstakes whether we like it or not....meanwhile I'll go back to by spreads and my fantasy players.
"Get busy living, or get busy dying."
comish
Champion of Mediocrity

Unread postby hiko » Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:24 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:If only we had Pashos.

No, I'm sure that having worse players than even Pashos in there helped things. Specially on those last couple drives.

Fact is, the Browns are too thin at almost every area to be losing even marginal starters.
hiko

Unread postby Prosecutor » Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:04 pm

Pathetic. Losing to Dalton and Gradkowski at home. Un Effing Believable.

It wasn't quite the Rudd Helmet Toss, but fact is they gave the Bengals a gift touchdown late in the 4th quarter with a 4 point lead. And the Bengals with Gradkowski at QB had little to no chance of scoring a TD conventionally.

OK, let's not overreact. I assume these first game glitches will be corrected.

I assume Lavauo will not get called for a false start twice in the first five snaps the rest of the season.

I assume the Browns bench will not get penalized for knocking down an official the rest of the season.

I assume the Browns will not be penalized seven times in the first seven minutes the rest of the season.

I assume the members of the kickoff coverage team will line up correctly the rest of the season.

I assume Cribbs will learn that when a punt is bouncing around inside the five yard line, the correct technique is to run past the ball and wait for it at the 1-yard line rather than follow it on tippy toes and then try to dive on it as it crosses the goal line.

I assume Little won't take out our punt returner while blocking the opponent's punter, who had no chance in hell of tackling Cribbs, who was on the verge of putting us in position for the tying field goal until Little slammed into him.

I assume our punter will get over his first game yips and avoid shanking two punts in one game, at least most of the time.

And most of all, I assume that when the opponent's offense breaks the huddle and lines up to run a play, the Browns defense will notice. Every damn time.

But even if all that crap is cleaned up, it won't change the fact that the offensive line got manhandled by the Bengals front seven, which is a competent unit but nothing special. In retrospect, it should have been obvious. We had two guys starting at guard who never started an NFL game. We had a guy who just got cut starting at right tackle. Hillis and Hardesty had to fight for every yard, and the pocket collapsed on Colt consistently. I don't care what offensive scheme you run, if your O-line is getting dominated the scheme won't work. Both of the Browns big plays offensively came off rollouts, one by design, one not.

Right now I can't think of a single team the Browns should be favored against. The Colts? They got humiliated today and will be looking for payback at home next week. But they're one of the few teams (if any) that are in worse shape at QB than the Bengals, so you never know.

Any good news? Well, Hardesty made it through the game and didn't look bad at all. Massaquoi got open two or three times. The kickoff coverage team stoned the Bengals at the 10-yard line - twice. Haden looked like Minnifield in his prime until that gift touchdown. To be fair, the replay showed the Bengal receiver on the opposite side of the field was also running uncovered with his arm in the air. Wish I could be a fly on the wall in the film room when they review that one.

Really bad debut for Shurmur. Not only did his team literally give the game away, they looked incompetent with those ridiculous penalties. He needs to start cracking the whip a bit. And find an offensive line.
Prosecutor
Plutonian Outliers

Unread postby pup » Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:14 pm

What exactly makes you think any of those things won't happen again?

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:16 pm

pup wrote:What exactly makes you think any of those things won't happen again?

Assumptions.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby peeker643 » Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:33 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:

Assumptions.

I assume Pros was being a little tongue in cheek with some of his assumptions. I hope so, because for the first time I can remember (for the right reasons) he made me laugh a bit.

Especially with the 'when the offense breaks the huddle..' thing.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:32 pm

WAIT, YOU MEAN OUR COACH WON'T PUSH A REF AGAIN PROS?!?!?!

I MEAN HE DIDN'T ADMIT TO DOING THAT OR ANYTHING!!!!
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby mattvan1 » Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:47 am

Prosecutor wrote:But even if all that crap is cleaned up, it won't change the fact that the offensive line got manhandled by the Bengals front seven, which is a competent unit but nothing special. In retrospect, it should have been obvious. We had two guys starting at guard who never started an NFL game.

Uh, I think you were the guy who was looking forward to the rook playing and writing that Steinbach would not be missed. Just sayin'.

Colt - Overmatched
OLine - Overmatched
SHUR MUR - Overmatched
Jauron - Head up ass

Where's the draft party next year?
I don't need to be patient, they're going to be shit forever.
- CDT, discussing my favorite NFL team
mattvan1

Unread postby SoulDawg74 » Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:52 am

pup wrote:
FUDU wrote:
pup wrote:

Haden not so much.

SD:

Everytime you think you can close the door on the Andrew Luck talk , Colt kicks it back open .

Reminiscent of Charlie Frye who showed so much promise as a rookie then choked under the pressure of being the man .

At no time yesterday did colts body language say , I got this .

SoulDawg
SoulDawg74

Unread postby SoulDawg74 » Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:02 am

e0y2e3 wrote:Too early to quit on the kid, be real and I didn't have even 1% hope he would finish or start that drive.

SD:

The WCO is a proven commodity in this league what you saw yesterday wasn't it.

Under pressure Colt did nothing to rally his troops , and looked all day like he wanted to left alone to hide under his blanky and suck his thumb.

Far cry from that preseason opener vs Greenbay a light year of difference , in the wrong direction in one month.

Dalton whooped Colts ass in the eye test .

Even Cincy knows you have to invest in that position , with a second , or better , while we insist on doing it on the cheap.
SoulDawg74

Unread postby trsteve1 » Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:56 am

Prosecutor wrote:The Browns are going to lose to the 4-12 Bengals minus Carson Palmer because Pashos can't play and maybe not Gocong either?

Yeah, those guys are the keys to our offense and defense. No chance of beating the Bungles without those two hitting on all cylinders.

If they lose it will because God hates Cleveland and the Browns always lose their first game. Well not always. They did win one opener since 1999.

It's true.. god does hate Cleveland..
Le sigh
trsteve1

Favorite Player: Nolan Ryan
Least Favorite Player: Troy Aikman

Unread postby Prosecutor » Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:45 pm

peeker643 wrote:
Cerebral_DownTime wrote:

Assumptions.

I assume Pros was being a little tongue in cheek with some of his assumptions. I hope so, because for the first time I can remember (for the right reasons) he made me laugh a bit.

Especially with the 'when the offense breaks the huddle..' thing.

No, it wasn't tongue in cheek. I don't think these these will happen again for the same reason I don't think the Browns will ever lose another game because a player throws his helmet, or that the Browns will lose a starting offensive linemen because a penalty flag hit him in the eye. These things are so bizarre they could only happen once. I've never seen the quick snap work before and I'm confident Jauron's first order of business this week will be to make sure it never happens again. Even if the defense gets caught with their pants down again at some point you can bet Shurmur will be screaming for a time out instead of assuming the ball won't be snapped.

Maybe I'm just an undying optimist.

The real problem is the offensive line and the wide receivers. Other than that one long pass to Massaquoi on a busted play we got nothing from the wideouts. 40 passes thrown and only six completions to the wide receivers. Pathetic.

The O-line is paying the price for the Steinbach injury, failing to re-sign Pork Chop, the Yates sudden retirement, and Pashos being hurt once again. Not sure there's a fix for that this year, or for the WRs either.
Prosecutor
Plutonian Outliers

Unread postby jerryroche » Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:49 pm

McCoy certainly deserves some criticism for not initiating scoring drives when they were most needed. However, the failure of the offense in the second half was a combination of three intricately interwoven factors: McCoy taking too long to get rid of the ball, the offensive line collapsing on McCoy, and receivers just not generally getting open. If receivers get open, McCoy gets rid of the ball a split-second earlier, and the line doesn't have a chance to collapse.

In the Green Bay-New Orleans game Thursday night, Aaron Rogers and Drew Brees were throwing -- and completing -- passes to receivers who weren't very open, either. But McCoy can't and shouldn't be expected to be a Rogers or Brees at this early stage of his career.

We still need some wideouts who can create separation.
jerryroche

Favorite Player: Wild Thang
Least Favorite Player: Ratlisberger

Unread postby pup » Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:51 pm

jerryroche wrote:McCoy certainly deserves some criticism for not initiating scoring drives when they were most needed. However, the failure of the offense in the second half was a combination of three intricately interwoven factors: McCoy taking too long to get rid of the ball, the offensive line collapsing on McCoy, and receivers just not generally getting open. If receivers get open, McCoy gets rid of the ball a split-second earlier, and the line doesn't have a chance to collapse.

In the Green Bay-New Orleans game Thursday night, Aaron Rogers and Drew Brees were throwing -- and completing -- passes to receivers who weren't very open, either. But McCoy can't and shouldn't be expected to be a Rogers or Brees at this early stage of his career.

We still need some wideouts who can create separation.

Would love to know where you got the coaches tape to know this. Just because the guy he threw to was not open at the time the ball got there does not mean nobody was open.

It is the debate that will never settle. QB Fan says receivers are not getting open. WR Fan says the QB cannot get them the ball when open. And neither group knows if either is true.

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Unread postby Fire Marshall Bill » Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:39 am

One fuking game and the draft talk begins....JFC on a pogo stick...everyone is turning into SD

I'm not sure what's worse.... watching the Browns attempt to play the game or listening to Browns fans and their ridiculous takes

The only people pissed and disappointed are those who had hope.....

Suckers

...and keep holding out hope for Luck, too... cuz all the wishin and hopin in the world isn't gonna do a damn bit of good but, it makes me laff
Hope is a moment now long past
The Shadow of Death is the one I cast
Koo koo ka joob....I am the Walrus
Fire Marshall Bill

Favorite Player: Killer Bean
Least Favorite Player: Charcoal&Piss

Unread postby General » Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:28 am

I know it is only one game, but in essence it is much more. It is 20 plus years of floundering either with the Modell regime, the blank years, and now this constantly morphing vision of BS. They may or may not be moving in the right direction, I don't know, I am not that football savvy. I am just a fan, a frustrated one who is losing his ability to endure this crap. Living out of town and being around people from different areas with different allegiances is interesting enough but now they don't even laugh at the Browns they show pity. I maintain that I wish I would have made the break in 1995 and not looked back. I am getting to the point where I enjoy watching the Saints, Patriots and even god forbid, the Steelers more than the Browns. I don't feel that is out of any front running "gene" in me but it is fun to watch a team that can play the game with grace and efficiency.

In the words of the immortal Forrest Gump, "that's all I have to say about that"
Browns are an irrelevant and comical organization-Do I really have to change this?
General

Favorite Player: Paul Warfield
Least Favorite Player: 537 Idiots in DC

Unread postby pup » Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:25 am

Fire Marshall Bill wrote:One fuking game and the draft talk begins....JFC on a pogo stick...everyone is turning into SD

I'm not sure what's worse.... watching the Browns attempt to play the game or listening to Browns fans and their ridiculous takes

Suckers

...and keep holding out hope for Luck, too... cuz all the wishin and hopin in the world isn't gonna do a damn bit of good but, it makes me laff

Nothing better than the old I knew they would suck so I don't care that they suck post. Well played.

No shot at luck because they will win too many games, or they won't pick him?

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Unread postby Fire Marshall Bill » Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:38 pm

pup wrote:
Fire Marshall Bill wrote:One fuking game and the draft talk begins....JFC on a pogo stick...everyone is turning into SD

Suckers

Nothing better than the old I knew they would suck so I don't care that they suck post. Well played.

No shot at luck because they will win too many games, or they won't pick him?

Meh....

Say what you will...

Last season the Borwns field the worst WR corps in the history of the NFL...imo

They added a rookie.................................................

The OL sucks and the only guy who could block is gone

There is not one receiver who commands respect on the field and no one in the backfield to break one for 60+

There are two rookies on the D line and not one LB who could start for another team

There was no 'play' involved....even a rube coulda seen it commin

You could cut Robiskie and Cribbs tomorrow and you wouldn't miss either of them

....and "Hope is a moment now long past, the Shadow of Death is the one I cast"

When I called the optimists suckers, I meant it in as kind and gentle manner as the Browns performance permitted (cache)
Hope is a moment now long past
The Shadow of Death is the one I cast
Koo koo ka joob....I am the Walrus
Fire Marshall Bill

Favorite Player: Killer Bean
Least Favorite Player: Charcoal&Piss

Unread postby pup » Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:01 pm

Which leads to my second question.

Are you simply saying Luck will not be any different than Colt without better teammates?

Are you saying even as bad as all of those things you point out, they are not bad enough to land #1?

Are you saying they could land #1 and pass on Luck?

I think the one thing we know about this front office is, they will hang whoever out to dry they have to. So is the plan to let Colt flounder with shit around him to justify taking Luck? Will they step out of their box and improve the offensive players once they have a QB they truly believe in?

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Unread postby hiko » Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:10 pm

pup wrote:Which leads to my second question.

Are you simply saying Luck will not be any different than Colt without better teammates?

Are you saying even as bad as all of those things you point out, they are not bad enough to land #1?

Are you saying they could land #1 and pass on Luck?

I think the one thing we know about this front office is, they will hang whoever out to dry they have to. So is the plan to let Colt flounder with shit around him to justify taking Luck? Will they step out of their box and improve the offensive players once they have a QB they truly believe in?

First, if the Browns are in position to take Andrew Luck, then they'd BETTER take Luck or Heckgren should be murdered on the spot. There are very few teams that I could understand passing on Luck should they be in position to get him.

Second, I have to believe that the Browns will try to improve the Offensive talent if they get Luck or not. I find the notion that the Browns are trying to Suck For Luck incredibly naive, but if they were indeed doing that, I would say it was brilliant. But I think the plan is much more likely Get Young And Take Your Lumps Now.

Either way, they'll try to get whomever the QB is a Deshaun Jackson or two in the near future.
hiko

Unread postby Prosecutor » Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:13 pm

A Deshaun Jackson would be fantastic, but I expect next year's draft will be mostly if not all defense.

The backup DT's are Schaefering and Paxson. Huh?

Fujita is nearing the end of the trail and we got no legitimate NFL linebackers behind him.

Same with Sheldon Brown. We'll need a new starting OLB and CB next year along with depth on the DL. And that's assuming either Usama or Mike Adams steps up and nails down the starting safety job. If not, we'll need one of them, too. that's already 4-5 picks that almost have to go to the defense.

Paddy was pretty complementary of Pinkston in his first start, and Steinbach's agent says he's definitely coming back, so left guard should be OK. They like Lauvao at RG so we just need to sign a dependable RT in free agency.

RB should be fine with Hillis, Hardesty, and Jackson. I can't see them taking a WR in the first round - they're counting on Little and Massaquoi. TE and QB are set. It will be a draft heavy on defense.
Prosecutor
Plutonian Outliers

Unread postby hiko » Wed Sep 14, 2011 4:44 pm

I think they'll draft heavy on D too, but they've got 2 picks in the 1st round next year, so they might throw one of those at WR (wouldn't mind Blackmon from OK State).
hiko

Unread postby pup » Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:25 pm

So many holes left to fill.

Makes you wonder even more why July/August was so quiet, no?

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Unread postby Prosecutor » Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:57 pm

hiko wrote:I think they'll draft heavy on D too, but they've got 2 picks in the 1st round next year, so they might throw one of those at WR (wouldn't mind Blackmon from OK State).

Agreed, they might, but I'm optimistic that both Little and Massaquoi will show enough over the next 15 games to make Heckert feel pretty comfortable about the starters, at least to where he won't use a 1st round pick on a third wideout. With tight ends like Watson, Moore, and Cameron (assuming he makes progress) and RBs who are excellent receivers like Hillis and Brandon Jackson (next year), this offense will rely much less on WRs than most. If Heckert is happy with Little and Massa as his starters with Cribbs/Robo as the #3, I can't see him spending a 1st round pick there when he needs 2-3 immediate starters on defense and a lot more depth.

Of course, if Little and Massa disappoint and Blackmon is the BPA, all bets are off.
Prosecutor
Plutonian Outliers

Unread postby mattvan1 » Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:21 pm

Prosecutor wrote: this offense will rely much less on WRs than most.

Pure speculation. C'mon dude, if you have insights into the SHUR MUR playbook please stop holding back and let us know.

And the last time a team used RB dump offs and TE seam routes to march through the playoffs was..............

Look, if you are saying that our TEs are way better than our WRs so we will take what the D gives us because we have to then Ok. But please don't tell me that this is part of "The Master Plan". Because it is most assuredly not.
mattvan1

Unread postby mattvan1 » Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:13 pm

pup wrote:So many holes left to fill.

Makes you wonder even more why July/August was so quiet, no?

No shit. I long for the days of the Mangini-Kokinis axis plundering the 2009 draft. Not to mention adding the trifecta of Elam, Ratliff, and Coleman after trading down 3 times in the first round. That was an FO the fans could get behind.
:hide:
mattvan1

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:21 pm

No shit,

I long for the days where a coach took a shitball team and improved every week. Where a coach beat two big time contenders and for the first time in awhile the team was interesting.

I long for a time when we had a coach like that and a GM responsible enough to hand him talent (EVEN THOUGH HE DIDN'T WANT TO AND THEY WERE SANDBAGGING HIM) that was actually talented.

I miss those days.

Three steps back.

Two steps forward.

MARCH!!!
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Next

Return to Cleveland Browns & The NFL