Text Size

Cleveland Browns & The NFL

Season Opener: Browns/Bungles Game Thread

Talk Browns football and discuss the NFL here.

Moderators: peeker643, jb, swerb, pup

Re: Season Opener: Browns/Bungles Game Thread

Unread postby pup » Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:08 am

Madre Hill, Superstar wrote:Remember when Mangini had a bunch of guys in here who would play smart and hard? Whatever happened to him and those guys?

We sent them packing so we could bring in Holmgren's Homos.

We got duped by a Marvin Lewis team.

Shit on a shingle I tell ya.

Reporter "Coach Shurmur, why didn't you call a timeout when Cincinnati was in mid-shenaningan?"
Coach "I didn't think they would snap it"
Reporter "I think that is why it is called shenanigans. They were trying to trick you"
Coach "But the ref was in my way, I had to knock him over"

Romeo, Romeo, where art thou Romeo.

Can't wait for three years when our HC and QB grow into their positions. Nobody on the job trains like the Cleveland Browns.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby Spin » Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:35 am

So we had a coach who wanted to be the Head Coach of an NFL football team AND the General Manager of an NFL football team. And he failed at both miserably at both.

Q: What did you learn?

Now we have a coach who wants to the the Head Coach of an NFL football team AND the Offensive Coordinator of an NFL football team. And failing miserably at both.

A: Not a goddamn thing.

"Oh but the WCO is so simple, you don't neeeeed a separate HC and OC."

Riiiight. Maybe YOUR WCO is so simple.

In an interview, he said that they are playing straight WCO. No trick plays, no wildcat. So just take your most dynamic player right out of the game. Here's an idea, let's just put our college (not NFL) QB at wide receiver, because that worked so well in Pittsburgh...

Funny, other WCO's can pick up a blitz...

Is this all we deserve?
Spin

Favorite Player: Jack N. Coke
Least Favorite Player: 72 hour work weeks

Unread postby trsteve1 » Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:18 pm

7 penalties for 48 yards in the first quarter was a lot to overcome.. in fact.. I'd say that kind of set the tone and we never recovered... that and getting blown off at the line of scrimmage over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again.. yea.. that part didn't help either..
Le sigh
trsteve1

Favorite Player: Nolan Ryan
Least Favorite Player: Troy Aikman

Unread postby Triple-S » Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:19 pm

Spin wrote:Funny, other WCO's can pick up a blitz...

Is this all we deserve?

do other west coast offense's have nothing at right-tackle?

do other offenses have to go against two damn good defensive ends?
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories

Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Unread postby Triple-S » Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:26 pm

I'm going to step away from the ledge here.

I'm not saying the Browns are going to be good or the Browns aren't going to be amazingly awful.

It's a wait and see. This team is still new, still having barely been together for a month or two and still trying to get this concept now. Moving away from Mangini's slight hybrid to this completely new West Coast Offense is going to take time.

For all that is worth, that 2nd quarter when things were clicking was damn good and showed me some promise.

We're not winning anything this year. It sucks, but it's true. We were telling ourselves this before the season even started. Our best bet at this point is to just play, see what we have and move onto next year (two first round draft picks, I'm thinking a WR and LB).

We don't need a regime change, all we need is just a little more patience.
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories

Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Unread postby yogi » Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:04 pm

Remember when Mangini had a bunch of guys in here who would play smart and hard? Whatever happened to him and those guys?

They found different ways to lose. 3 or 4 4th quarter leads blown last year. I saw that stat on the tube while watching this year's meltdown.
It's Been Done Before
yogi
Jersey Accent

Unread postby pup » Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:12 pm

Triple-S wrote:I'm going to step away from the ledge here.

I'm not saying the Browns are going to be good or the Browns aren't going to be amazingly awful.

It's a wait and see. This team is still new, still having barely been together for a month or two and still trying to get this concept now. Moving away from Mangini's slight hybrid to this completely new West Coast Offense is going to take time.

For all that is worth, that 2nd quarter when things were clicking was damn good and showed me some promise.

We're not winning anything this year. It sucks, but it's true. We were telling ourselves this before the season even started. Our best bet at this point is to just play, see what we have and move onto next year (two first round draft picks, I'm thinking a WR and LB).

We don't need a regime change, all we need is just a little more patience.

Yes. Patience.

F that.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby trsteve1 » Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:12 pm

I was really hoping that all the chatter from the pundits about the Browns potential struggles due to a new coach(es), new systems (offense and defense!) was being overstated.

But let's be honest.. they have new coaches in every phase of the game, only 26 (or thereabouts) returning players, and had a short offseason to put it together.. The Bengals had almost the same turnover player-wise, but had constants in the coaching staff that the Browns did not enjoy..

We may not see what this team can do for a few weeks.. and honestly.. I don't blame anyone if they would prefer NOT to watch this team go through growing pains (which seem to be constant around the Lakefront)..

Alas.. it was never supposed to be easy..
Le sigh
trsteve1

Favorite Player: Nolan Ryan
Least Favorite Player: Troy Aikman

Previous

Return to Cleveland Browns & The NFL