Text Size

Cleveland Indians & MLB

Minor league playoffs

Talk Tribe, talk baseball in this forum.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, paulcousineau

Minor league playoffs

Unread postby gotribe31 » Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:50 am

Both Columbus and Kinston won their 1st round playoff series, for what it's worth:
http://www.theclevelandfan.com/clevelan ... sip-series
You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves
-----Abe Lincoln

Let me tell you, if any of you douchebag empty headed stuffed suit nanny politicians tries to fuck with my bacon, I’m going after you like a crazed chimpanzee on bath salts.
-----Lars
gotribe31

Favorite Player: Francisco Lindor
Least Favorite Player: Michigan

Re: Minor league playoffs

Unread postby pup » Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:58 am

Please do not take this as bad as you all will.

I am so god damn sick if winning minor league playoff series. We have been winning them for years. Good for all of you guys that follow them and enjoy the kids, but it is like a woman constantly winning the hot bod contest before the initial class at the local Curves, then walking out in 6 months at only 210 instead of 225.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby gotribe31 » Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:09 am

pup wrote:Please do not take this as bad as you all will.

I am so god damn sick if winning minor league playoff series. We have been winning them for years. Good for all of you guys that follow them and enjoy the kids, but it is like a woman constantly winning the hot bod contest before the initial class at the local Curves, then walking out in 6 months at only 210 instead of 225.

I hear ya. AAA across the league has become almost a glorified taxi squad. So while Columbus is a good team, it's filled with AAAA players like Chad Huffman (26 years old), Travis Buck (28), Paul Phillips (34), Nick Johnson (33) etc. So it's not like we have a team of hot, top prospects dominating at AAA. We do have a lot of bullpen options in Columbus though.

Kinston has a few guys like Tyler Holt, Jesus Aguilar etc, but also some guys who are old for the level like Adam Abraham and some other guys like Preston Guilmet who can dominate at lower levels but whose stuff won't likely translate to the higher levels.

Minor league won/lost % is one of the more irrelevant things in sports, right up there with pre-season football wins/losses. Also like preseason football, you have to identify and focus on the individual performances that matter, and pretty much ignore wins and losses.
You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves
-----Abe Lincoln

Let me tell you, if any of you douchebag empty headed stuffed suit nanny politicians tries to fuck with my bacon, I’m going after you like a crazed chimpanzee on bath salts.
-----Lars
gotribe31

Favorite Player: Francisco Lindor
Least Favorite Player: Michigan

Unread postby Govbarney » Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:12 am

gotribe31 wrote:Both Columbus and Kinston won their 1st round playoff series, for what it's worth:
http://www.theclevelandfan.com/clevelan ... sip-series

Only thing better then winning the Special Olympics, is not being retarded.
"I don't think they're building chemical weapons in Berea. But they might be. I can't say for sure."
Chuck Klosterman
Govbarney

Favorite Player: Smallmouth Bass
Least Favorite Player: Sheephead

Unread postby Spin » Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:40 am

With the three "pro" teams in such a funk, why not watch something entertaining?
Spin

Favorite Player: Jack N. Coke
Least Favorite Player: 72 hour work weeks

Unread postby googleeph2 » Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:17 pm

Spin wrote:With the three "pro" teams in such a funk, why not watch something entertaining?

You sound like me. For instance, I never thought I'd watch Nascar. Wife and daughters sort of like it. My dad and brother are car guys. I noticed Brad Keselowski stand up to pretty boy Carl Edwards last year and toss his car in the air and into the screen, and I started watching.

It's a great pastime. You can watch, get distracted, nap, and not give a crap about what happens. They get fired up at each other and that gets amusing. And there's no self-hate afterwards for letting it wreck your Sunday.
googleeph2

Favorite Player: Todd Beamer
Least Favorite Player: .

Unread postby Bigfist » Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:02 pm

With Kinston heading over to the Raleigh area after this year, I think it would be great for them to go out as the Carolina League champs. But, having watched teams here over twenty years, this team has no real sure fire major league prospects. I think Perez (catcher) can be a Lou Marson type...great defensively, but weak with the stick. Bo Greenwell MIGHT make it some day, but never will be more than an extra piece. Giovanni Soto is only 20, and has shown some some good stuff (left handed pitcher, obtained for Peralta), but has missed most of the year with an elbow injury.
Bigfist

Favorite Player: AJ Griffin
Least Favorite Player: Jeff Juden

Return to Cleveland Indians & MLB