Text Size

College Sports Arena

osu vs akron predictions

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

Re: osu vs akron predictions

Unread postby FUDU » Sun Sep 04, 2011 1:39 pm

...and of course they had to slide in a couple highlights of Tebow from the 2007 NCG, nothing like a few stations of the cross right in the middle of the first Buckeye game of the season.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby danwismar » Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:24 pm

No question Meyer and Spielman were over the top talking about how Miller's fragile psyche was going to be damaged somehow by not being put back in the game immediately after what?...a dropped pass and a bad snap spoiled his first series?

But on balance, watching the game late last night after getting home, I thought Meyer and Spiels were excellent in analysis...far better than what we're used to watching CFB on TV.
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

Dan's OSU Links - http://bit.ly/uXRD51
danwismar

Unread postby leadpipe » Sun Sep 04, 2011 3:12 pm

danwismar wrote:No question Meyer and Spielman were over the top talking about how Miller's fragile psyche was going to be damaged somehow by not being put back in the game immediately after what?...a dropped pass and a bad snap spoiled his first series?

But on balance, watching the game late last night after getting home, I thought Meyer and Spiels were excellent in analysis...far better than what we're used to watching CFB on TV.

Spielman is awful. Has been for years. Knows the game, obviously, but he's constantly stuck in between solid analysis and trying to put on a Madden type persona. And since it's been this way forever, I doubt it changes.

I think Meyer could be really good - if he wanted to be in the booth two years from now. I like no nonsense. Save the schtik for NFL pre-game shows.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby danwismar » Sun Sep 04, 2011 3:28 pm

don't know if you guys saw this...UA coach Rob Ianello's comments after the game to Fickell..."I don't think that's real good sportsmanship, but good luck the rest of the year"

http://www.chicagonow.com/daily-chicago ... ame-video/

By several accounts (and it looked that way to me too) Fickell is seen on camera just afterward, pretty clearly mouthing the word "dick". (not seen at the linked video) I love it.

Reminds me of the remark attributed to Bobby Knight, I think..."want a closer game, get a better team"
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

danwismar

Unread postby motherscratcher » Sun Sep 04, 2011 3:37 pm

I had heard something about Ianello complaining after the game about sportsmanship or something. Didn't know exactly what he had said, though.

Yeah, he can kiss Fickell's ass. Crybaby.

Take your giant pile of money, shut your face, and go back to Akron.
Shit The Bed For Ted

- Matty Toes (Vandelay Industries)
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby danwismar » Sun Sep 04, 2011 3:40 pm

motherscratcher wrote:Take your giant pile of money, shut your face, and go back to Akron.

You beat me to it, scratcher. Take your $850,000 and STFU.

danwismar

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Sun Sep 04, 2011 5:15 pm

motherscratcher wrote:
peeker643 wrote:
Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I thought Braxton looked really good. I watched the game on DVR after I got back and was really annoyed by the moronic "Oh Braxton needs to be with the other QBs and have a head set on" drivel from the announce team.

He does need to be over there. He can learn more hearing the play, checking the defense and watching the play evolve than he can by simply watching the game with his boys.

That kid's important because Bauserman is mediocre. Anything a raw freshman can do to learn more quickly, well, he should be doing it.

No doubt this is all true. And I would like to see that Braxton is involved, even when not in the huddle.

But they beat that shit to absolute death. Then they gave it a shot of epi to the heart, revived it, and beat it to death again. Then they made sweet love with the corpse.

This.

You can say he needs to be over there, no problem with that. But they kept harping on it, it's almost like they wanted to make him look bad Make him look like he didn't give a shit, which makes them look like bitching 16 year old girls. If he plays like he did yesterday I do not give a shit where he stands on the sidelines. At all.

If Urban Meyer coaches OSU then I'll give 2 shits about what he thinks on where Braxton Miller stands. Until then just call the fuckin game on the field.

Spiels was really annoying with the whole "you gotta throw it deep" every 2 fucking seconds.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Sun Sep 04, 2011 5:21 pm

peeker643 wrote:
motherscratcher wrote:
peeker643 wrote:
Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I thought Braxton looked really good. I watched the game on DVR after I got back and was really annoyed by the moronic "Oh Braxton needs to be with the other QBs and have a head set on" drivel from the announce team.

He does need to be over there. He can learn more hearing the play, checking the defense and watching the play evolve than he can by simply watching the game with his boys.

That kid's important because Bauserman is mediocre. Anything a raw freshman can do to learn more quickly, well, he should be doing it.

No doubt this is all true. And I would like to see that Braxton is involved, even when not in the huddle.

But they beat that shit to absolute death. Then they gave it a shot of epi to the heart, revived it, and beat it to death again. Then they made sweet love with the corpse.

I'll be interested in seeing what adjustments Fickell makes between now and Miami. To an extent they can probably out-physical Miami on the OL-DL matchup but at some point the QB is going to have to make plays.

I personally think Miller already throws a better ball than Bauserman and that he's much more dangerous keeping it (obviously). I'm begging to avoid a Germaine-Jackson redux.

If this was Fickell's job for the next 4 years I truly believe Miller would be handed the reins and permitted to learn on the job. But Fickell probably needs ten wins to keep the job and getting that out of a freshman QB, regardless of how talented, is a tough road.

I don't know how you can stunt the growth of Miller for Bauserman. Miller needs to play. I hated Germiane/Jackson dual play bullshit, it was clear to everyone with eyes that Germaine was the better QB...... by far. No need to repeat it.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby Triple-S » Sun Sep 04, 2011 5:21 pm

motherscratcher wrote:I had heard something about Ianello complaining after the game about sportsmanship or something. Didn't know exactly what he had said, though.

Ianello from what my buds up at Hilltop High have said is himself kind of a dickhead.

None of them are too keen on the hire and are really questioning the school's decision.
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories

Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Sun Sep 04, 2011 5:24 pm

danwismar wrote:don't know if you guys saw this...UA coach Rob Ianello's comments after the game to Fickell..."I don't think that's real good sportsmanship, but good luck the rest of the year"

http://www.chicagonow.com/daily-chicago ... ame-video/

By several accounts (and it looked that way to me too) Fickell is seen on camera just afterward, pretty clearly mouthing the word "dick". (not seen at the linked video) I love it.

Reminds me of the remark attributed to Bobby Knight, I think..."want a closer game, get a better team"

Glad to see you survived the heat. People were dropping like flies during that game, glad to see you weren't among them.

How hot was C-Deck, like sitting on the surface of the sun?
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby danwismar » Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:09 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:Glad to see you survived the heat. People were dropping like flies during that game, glad to see you weren't among them.

How hot was C-Deck, like sitting on the surface of the sun?

I was wrong about the C Deck seats. We were in 3A first row, closed end, behind the flagpole, right behind the alumni band, but everybody just effin' cooked. An elderly couple next to us left before half, and lots of older folks were having serious problems with it. Came back out after halftime and the seat literally burned my ass.

danwismar

Unread postby danwismar » Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:05 pm

http://twitpic.com/6ganl6

link is to picture of the "Mark May is a Douche" T-shirt..... as noted earlier

danwismar

Unread postby JCoz » Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:39 am

Well that was a decent start.

Sweat looks like the guy I thought he would be last season. He is just a completely different animal playing WILL instead of SAM. The WR's looked really good, the RB's looked ok. I think it is a good thing the secondary looks strong because we are going to need to send 5 quite a bit this season if the goal is pressure on every pass play.

Bauserman looked better than I thought possible, even given the opponant. Show me the same vs toledo and I'll find it hard to fault the choice of having him take the majority of snaps against Miami.

Shazier looks phenominal. The future of this team is off the charts. I really dont know the last time there was this much youth looking this good.
JCoz
Donnie, you're out of your element

Favorite Player: Competency
Least Favorite Player: Gene Smith

Unread postby Spin » Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:43 am

Triple-S wrote:
motherscratcher wrote:I had heard something about Ianello complaining after the game about sportsmanship or something. Didn't know exactly what he had said, though.

Ianello from what my buds up at Hilltop High have said is himself kind of a dickhead.

None of them are too keen on the hire and are really questioning the school's decision.

+1
Spin

Favorite Player: Jack N. Coke
Least Favorite Player: 72 hour work weeks

Unread postby furls » Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:46 pm

JCoz wrote:Well that was a decent start.

Sweat looks like the guy I thought he would be last season. He is just a completely different animal playing WILL instead of SAM. The WR's looked really good, the RB's looked ok. I think it is a good thing the secondary looks strong because we are going to need to send 5 quite a bit this season if the goal is pressure on every pass play.

Bauserman looked better than I thought possible, even given the opponant. Show me the same vs toledo and I'll find it hard to fault the choice of having him take the majority of snaps against Miami.

Shazier looks phenominal. The future of this team is off the charts. I really dont know the last time there was this much youth looking this good.

^^^^ this, all of it.

This team is going to be really good this year, great next year and amazing the year after. I love the pressure and I think we have had the secondary to put this kind of pressure on the QB for a long time. I think our D had most of its issues in years past due to lack of pressure. tOSU only have 23 sacks last year is ridiculous, that is less that 2 per game. I would expect tOSU to have 4+ sacks per game against crap competition and 2+ against real competition for a total of 35-45 per year. This defense is going to feel a lot like 2005, the last time tOSU blitzed with any regularity.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby danwismar » Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:19 am

http://photo.the-ozone.net/details.aspx ... eNumber=10

Great shot of the Horseshoe Saturday by the very talented Jim Davidson of Ozone fame, of the four simultaneous Script Ohio's at halftime. Might be worth right-clicking and saving this one...

a few empty seats because lots of people were underneath the grandstand catching some shade....still a great shot.

danwismar

Unread postby danwismar » Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:23 pm

furls wrote:I think our D had most of its issues in years past due to lack of pressure. tOSU only have 23 sacks last year is ridiculous, that is less that 2 per game. I would expect tOSU to have 4+ sacks per game against crap competition and 2+ against real competition for a total of 35-45 per year. This defense is going to feel a lot like 2005, the last time tOSU blitzed with any regularity.

I'm with you on the general philosophy of more pressure on the passer...but you have to keep in mind that no matter how good your secondary, you will give up more big plays if you blitz a lot more. I've cited repeatedly the stat that OSU gave up only 5 pass completions of more than 30 yds all last season (four of them in lopsided wins over EMU and Minn.)

The calculation is that you will more than make up for those....with disrupted plays, sacks, interceptions, fumbles, TFL's, etc....I'm fine with that in the college game...I have always thought that if you think you have superior athletes (which OSU presumably does in at least 10 or 11 of their 12 games) you should crash the offensive backfield and trust your DB's to make plays and cover.

There are indications this summer and in the UA game that Fickell agrees. I love it....but they will probably give up more big plays...and we have to be ready for, and accepting of that.

Sack totals may be limited this week (and against other spread teams)because they scheme to beat the OSU rush with quick releases. As in the past, that plays into the Heacock plan, which is to beat up the receivers so they don't want to catch any more passes when the 3rd and 4th quarters come along.

Can't wait to see how this works against a much better passing team than they faced last week.

danwismar

Previous

Return to College Sports Arena