Text Size

Cleveland Browns & The NFL

Mike Vick Article

Talk Browns football and discuss the NFL here.

Moderators: peeker643, jb, swerb, pup

Mike Vick Article

Unread postby jta1975 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:02 pm

To me an article like this is a great conversation piece if you can have the conversation while suppressing strong emotions.....What do you guys think about an article like this.

http://espn.go.com/espn/commentary/story/_/id/6894586/imagining-michael-vick-white-quarterback-nfl-espn-magazine
jta1975

Favorite Player: Red Face
Least Favorite Player: Clean Pants

Re: Mike Vick Article

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:14 pm

jta1975 wrote:To me an article like this is a great conversation piece if you can have the conversation while suppressing strong emotions.....What do you guys think about an article like this.

http://espn.go.com/espn/commentary/story/_/id/6894586/imagining-michael-vick-white-quarterback-nfl-espn-magazine

The article was way more balanced than the headline and the picture ESPN ran initially that was taken down.

Both the headline and the picture are pathetic.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby jta1975 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:44 pm

peeker643 wrote:
jta1975 wrote:To me an article like this is a great conversation piece if you can have the conversation while suppressing strong emotions.....What do you guys think about an article like this.

The article was way more balanced than the headline and the picture ESPN ran initially that was taken down.

Both the headline and the picture are pathetic.

Indeed..they wanted to get emotion involved before you even started reading.
jta1975

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:46 pm

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby jta1975 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:47 pm

peeker643 wrote:http://yhoo.it/qpMmrX

Poor indeed
jta1975

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:07 pm

jta1975 wrote:Poor indeed

And the fact they took it down almost immediately tells ya all you need to know.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Larvell Blanks » Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:39 am

in that pic he looks like every other douchbag in the Warehouse District.

What would they have done if he still had cornrows, put a picture of Bronson Arroyo up there?

WHEN MICHAEL VICK PLAYS, I see streetball. I don't just mean that sort of football where you have to count to four-Mississippi before you can rush the quarterback, nearly everything breaks down and it's all great fun. I also mean street basketball. Vick's style reminds me of Allen Iverson -- the speed, the court sense, the sharp cuts, the dekes, the swag. In those breathtaking moments when the Eagles QB abandons the pocket and takes off, it feels as if he's thumbing his nose at the whole regimented, militaristic ethos of the game.

Yet Steve Young was doing this in SF, does that make Mike Vick the Black Steve Young?

All of that is why, to me, Vick seems to have a deeply African-American approach to the game.

Who knew a distant relative of Brigham Young (read up about he and African Americans) would have such an approach to the position.
Galley Boys are slop on top of a so-so burger and a bun you coulde get from a Covneninet food mart generic pack. They the Antoine Joubert of burgers; soft, sloppy, oozing grease and cheap sauce and extremely overrated by a biased fan base. Proof that if you throw enough cheap sauce shit on a burger you still can't overcome the lame burger. -JB
Larvell Blanks

Favorite Player: Foots Walker
Least Favorite Player: un named sources

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:08 pm

“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby motherscratcher » Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:57 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:http://www.playerperspective.com/?p=1294

That's great.

I figured I was missing Toure's point because I wasn't sure what he was trying to get at, but I wasn't interested enough to try to figure it out either.

He starts by kind of asking whether Vick would have gone to jail if he was white. He apparently finds that question as uninteresting as I do because he doesn't try to answer it. He merely points out that we should not ask that question because if Vick was white he wouldn't have been involved with dog fighting to begin with. He would have been spending too much time at applebys with his dad or something. This pretty much rendered the entire article pointless.

Also, Vick plays QB like a black guy.

Thanks.
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby mattvan1 » Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:06 pm

peeker643 wrote: Both the headline and the picture are pathetic.

ESPN as a company is pathetic. Rich and powerful (too much so) but pathetic nonetheless.
I don't need to be patient, they're going to be shit forever.
- CDT, discussing my favorite NFL team
mattvan1

Unread postby hiko » Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:40 am

All signs are pointing to about a 4 game season for Mr. Vick.

His O line is horrific.

By the way, he looks like much more of a douchebag as a white guy
hiko

Favorite Player: Gray
Least Favorite Player: Black and White

Unread postby noles1 » Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:24 pm

So Fran Tarkenton and Archie Manning were black too. But Warren Moon and Doug Williams played white under this writer's logic.

Found the article to be annoying and tiresome. Just seemed to constantly bounce around and leave points more unanswered than when he started. Why we have to continue to have these discussions into "street viewpoints" vs "mainstream" is beyond me. Is it really still a burning conversation piece or is it as trivial as I and those around me find it anymore?
Playing here is the closest thing to heaven. Really, I mean it's amazing to be in a place where the fans truly cherish their football team and stick behind them win or lose. We players love them, too. I feel a sense of accomplishment playing here, we are a special breed of football players with a great opportunity." ~ tOSU LB Brian Rolle
noles1

Favorite Player: Jason Kipnis
Least Favorite Player: Mark May's Parents

Unread postby hiko » Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:40 pm

noles1 wrote:So Fran Tarkenton and Archie Manning were black too. But Warren Moon and Doug Williams played white under this writer's logic.

Found the article to be annoying and tiresome. Just seemed to constantly bounce around and leave points more unanswered than when he started. Why we have to continue to have these discussions into "street viewpoints" vs "mainstream" is beyond me. Is it really still a burning conversation piece or is it as trivial as I and those around me find it anymore?

I can only speak for myself when I say that the discussion is boring as fuck. But as long as some find the topic "important" or "controversial", it'll continue.
hiko

Favorite Player: Gray
Least Favorite Player: Black and White

Return to Cleveland Browns & The NFL