Text Size

Cleveland Indians & MLB

Thome

Talk Tribe, talk baseball in this forum.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, paulcousineau

Re: Thome

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:02 pm

Am I Here Again? wrote:Yup, saw that on cleveland.com after I left here. Image Party at my house! Image
Um, peek, do you need some pop or something? What with your painkillers and all I don't want to kill YOU!

If you're gonna go, go BIG.

Fresh bottle of percocet and the champagne of beer tonight. That means Browns look great, Thome looks great, everything looks great. Except my knee cap. That's still grotesque and swollen. :cheers:
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby Dellucci TailGator » Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:02 pm

I'm not going to even analyze this. For a few moments on Friday night we'll all have something special to remember. I'll for a few seconds feel like a kid again when he steps in the box. No need to be cynical about that.

And they need to go out and get the whole team red cleats and red socks for Friday's game. It would be a nice touch.
Dellucci TailGator

Favorite Player: Derek Lilliquist
Least Favorite Player: Matt LaPorta

Unread postby skatingtripods » Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:07 pm

Just imagine if Thome hits a second deck moon shot in his first AB. Two guys dressed in 1970s clothing will catch up to him rounding 2nd.

It'll be glorious.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby Dellucci TailGator » Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:07 pm

peeker643 wrote:
skatingtripods wrote:
peeker643 wrote:You're lending me a wheelchair? Sweet. Still holding out for a scooter.

Maybe you can get a Life Alert express mailed to you by Saturday too. I'll work on getting you a Segway, but you can't operate it near a cliff.

Saturday though? We'll miss Thome's first three HRs on Friday :-(

That's ok. We'll see him hit for the HR Cycle on Saturday.

You have to stand on a Segway. I saw 'Paul Blart Mall Cop' with kids. I know this to be true.

I'm in for Saturday. I hope the triple is in his last at bat. Because a triple would be his LAST at bat.

I feel so bad for you.

Not because of the not walking thing.

You had to sit through Paul Blart:Mall Cop.
Dellucci TailGator

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:07 pm

skatingtripods wrote:
peeker643 wrote:Win-win-win.

:nanner:

Don't dance like that. You'll break a hip.

That banana has knees I'm jealous of.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby GtX11 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:09 pm

All we need now are Lofton and Omar!
Wait Until Next Year, but I have been saying this since 1948
GtX11

Favorite Player: Rocky Colavito
Least Favorite Player: Fausto Carmona

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:09 pm

Dellucci TailGator wrote:
peeker643 wrote:
skatingtripods wrote:
peeker643 wrote:You're lending me a wheelchair? Sweet. Still holding out for a scooter.

Maybe you can get a Life Alert express mailed to you by Saturday too. I'll work on getting you a Segway, but you can't operate it near a cliff.

Saturday though? We'll miss Thome's first three HRs on Friday :-(

That's ok. We'll see him hit for the HR Cycle on Saturday.

You have to stand on a Segway. I saw 'Paul Blart Mall Cop' with kids. I know this to be true.

I'm in for Saturday. I hope the triple is in his last at bat. Because a triple would be his LAST at bat.

I feel so bad for you.

Not because of the not walking thing.

You had to sit through Paul Blart:Mall Cop.

My youngest thought it was great. Had her room tested for lead paint the next week.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby 1Perry » Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:02 pm

I'm not excited for Thome to be back but I like the move. It says the front office is still doing all they can to win the division.

Having this discussion is far better than discussing whether or not we got enough for Choo in trade.

That said the one sentence I hope to never hear next year is "We have to count on Hafner and Sizemore to remain healthy to compete".
1Perry
The Shapiro of Posters

Unread postby shamwow imitator » Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:02 pm

I'm guessing Jimmy could have vetoed this deal if he wanted to.
Speaks volumes to me.
Glad he's back :cheers:
shamwow imitator

Favorite Player: Dick Jacobs
Least Favorite Player: Dolans

Unread postby pup » Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:36 am

Not sure what uniform he will have on, since the last jersey had to be ripped off his back.

Yippee. A .240 hitter coming home. Just what this lineup needs. More swings and misses.

Wonder what his rock thinks about all this? She probably kicked his ass again, {allegedly}.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby WiscTribeFan » Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:25 am

pup wrote:Not sure what uniform he will have on, since the last jersey had to be ripped off his back.

Yippee. A .240 hitter coming home. Just what this lineup needs. More swings and misses.

Wonder what his rock thinks about all this? She probably kicked his ass again, {allegedly}.

What's it like to be the most negative person in the world?
Don't go away mad, just go away.
WiscTribeFan
Mook

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby Spin » Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:57 am

GtX11 wrote:All we need now are Lofton and Omar!

What's Albert (Don't Call Me Joey!!!) doing lately?

Throwing rocks at an orphanage?
Spin

Favorite Player: Jack N. Coke
Least Favorite Player: 72 hour work weeks

Unread postby leadpipe » Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:58 am

Warts, age and all, he's better than any hump they've that's been hitting clean-up all year for the Tribe.

And FWIW, the story I heard - from a guy who has not steered me wrong on info in the past is....short version; The Tribe low balled Thome and when he explored other options they thought they were done. Then he came back and said "this is what's out there, what can you do for me......" The implication was that Thome was ready to deal a little, and the Tribe was shocked that he came back to them...and it went south from there.

None of this I know as fact, but many of the others stories spewed are filled with at least as much conjecture - most much less. Let alone many that make no sense at all. And again, based on who I heard it from, I tend to believe it.

Clearly Thome's biggest mistake was opening his mouth.

Anyway, this bridge has been crossed here. Bottom line, right now, he makes them better - and it didn't cost them anything. Unlike picking up Omar as a utility or some other "past greats" nonsense.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby Spin » Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:08 am

Got my tickets for Tuesday night. Right field seats (fair territory). Hope I catch one from his bat.

I was pissed when his wife took the money but that was a long time ago. I got over it. That's what big boys do. Hell, I'm over LeDecision now. Watching LeCollapse was all I needed. What good does it do me to be pissed off at some guy who plays games.

Now I get to show my sons the greatest slugger in Tribe history.
Spin

Unread postby gotribe31 » Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:48 am

leadpipe wrote:Warts, age and all, he's better than any hump they've that's been hitting clean-up all year for the Tribe.

And FWIW, the story I heard - from a guy who has not steered me wrong on info in the past is....short version; The Tribe low balled Thome and when he explored other options they thought they were done. Then he came back and said "this is what's out there, what can you do for me......" The implication was that Thome was ready to deal a little, and the Tribe was shocked that he came back to them...and it went south from there.

None of this I know as fact, but many of the others stories spewed are filled with at least as much conjecture - most much less. Let alone many that make no sense at all. And again, based on who I heard it from, I tend to believe it.

Clearly Thome's biggest mistake was opening his mouth.

Anyway, this bridge has been crossed here. Bottom line, right now, he makes them better - and it didn't cost them anything. Unlike picking up Omar as a utility or some other "past greats" nonsense.

Agree 100%. I don't think the Indians wanted him to take their offer. I think they wanted to tear everything down and rebuild on the cheap. I don't blame him for taking more money, more years and a better chance to win. This wasn't Belle leaving after 1996 in the middle of the "era of champions."
You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves
-----Abe Lincoln

Let me tell you, if any of you douchebag empty headed stuffed suit nanny politicians tries to fuck with my bacon, I’m going after you like a crazed chimpanzee on bath salts.
-----Lars
gotribe31

Favorite Player: Francisco Lindor
Least Favorite Player: Michigan

Unread postby gotribe31 » Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:57 am

skatingtripods wrote:
peeker643 wrote:Jamey Carroll was put on waivers today. Get him back and it'll be a reunion worth attending. ;-) ;) :wink:

That would mean we'd have to unfree Cord Phelps. Also would mean Al would off himself.

It'd be worth it for Peek's reaction alone
You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves
-----Abe Lincoln

Let me tell you, if any of you douchebag empty headed stuffed suit nanny politicians tries to fuck with my bacon, I’m going after you like a crazed chimpanzee on bath salts.
-----Lars
gotribe31

Favorite Player: Francisco Lindor
Least Favorite Player: Michigan

Unread postby peeker643 » Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:50 am

1Perry wrote:I'm not excited for Thome to be back but I like the move. It says the front office is still doing all they can to win the division.

Having this discussion is far better than discussing whether or not we got enough for Choo in trade.

That said the one sentence I hope to never hear next year is "We have to count on Hafner and Sizemore to remain healthy to compete".

First, I'm fine with the move. Never harbored resentment.

But his impact, while real and tangible, will be negligible. No different than his last year here IMO and probably much less given the tread on the tires is low.

Personally think is great move by front office to say "We're still trying" while bringing back fan favorite. Antonetti's remarks were gushing to the point of embarrassing.

Bottom line, I don't think it affects the division much at all but it saves a feel good season from talk of a collapse. For the moment.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Orenthal » Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:16 pm

"When a man with money meets a man with experience, the man with experience leaves with money and the man with money leaves with experience."
Orenthal

Favorite Player: Dan Gilbert
Least Favorite Player: Blacks, Gays, Poor

Unread postby Spin » Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:09 pm

peeker643 wrote:
1Perry wrote:I'm not excited for Thome to be back but I like the move. It says the front office is still doing all they can to win the division.

But his impact, while real and tangible, will be negligible. No different than his last year here IMO and probably much less given the tread on the tires is low.

Personally think is great move by front office to say "We're still trying" while bringing back fan favorite. Antonetti's remarks were gushing to the point of embarrassing.

Bottom line, I don't think it affects the division much at all but it saves a feel good season from talk of a collapse. For the moment.

I think he's a step up from Pronk. And seems to have a couple miles left.

Who else were we going to get for nothing.
Spin

Unread postby peeker643 » Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:41 pm

Spin wrote:
peeker643 wrote:

I think he's a step up from Pronk. And seems to have a couple miles left.

Who else were we going to get for nothing.

I agree he's a step up from the corpse of Pronk. That's why I said the impact on the field was real but negligible. He'll be better than Pronk but he's still playing with a lineup where a used up Thome is the 2nd or 3rd most dangerous hitter.

Already on record as saying I'd like to see them resign him for $3m for next year when a real playoff push appears more likely as insurance for Hafner and a left handed bat off the bench.

It's just not enough in terms of pushing the Tribe past the Tigers IMO.

I still like the move. I'd have rather had Kubel from a production standpoint but the cost would have been greater.

And from a fan's perspective it's a nice gesture that will benefit us. It also benefits the Tribe from an attendance and cash perspective. There is no downside. It's just that the ceiling isn't very high either.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Bayou Tribe » Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:10 pm

Damn. I hope I am still around these boards in 2019 when the Cavs trade for Lebron at midseason to come home and make it all right.

:hide:
"Dammit you piss me off. I f#ckin hate you and I hope you f#cking get killed by a rabid polar bear you douche bag."

-- TIMMAH to CDT
Bayou Tribe
"Rickey wants to play baseball"

Favorite Player: Drew Brees
Least Favorite Player: Steve Smith

Unread postby Am I Here Again? » Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:12 pm

gotribe31 wrote:...I don't blame him for taking more money, more years and a better chance to win.....

^This^ IMO he probably thought the money was nice but the years were more important. He was 32 when he signed with Philly. Once you get to that age you I think you would look to lock in for as long as someone will take you.

With the way we crashed and burned this past week or so of games a nice, feel-good story is something to look forward to. Can't wait for 7:05...
I've tried 'em all, I really have, and the only church that truly feeds the soul, day in, day out, is the Church of Baseball.~~~Annie Savoy-"Bull Durham"
Am I Here Again?
Tribe-a-Holic

Favorite Player: Sam McDowell
Least Favorite Player: Any Red Sox or Yank

Unread postby Dellucci TailGator » Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:28 pm

Can you imagine the disaster the franchise would've become if he accepted that deal and got hurt like he did in Philly? Hafner probably doesn't get acquired, and Pronk was a better player than Thome in 2005, 2006 and the first part of 2007.

Money probably isn't sitting around to give Millwood in 2005 if they were paying Thome.

Plus, there's no way Thome sits through those 2003 and 2004 seasons without wanting out.

I'm not sure 2005 or 2007 happen if he signs that contract. Butterfly effect and so forth...
Dellucci TailGator

Unread postby pup » Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:46 pm

Sweet. We are all the way to he saved the franchise by ducking and running and hiding behind his rock.

Thanks Jim!

No go outside and play hide and go f#@$ yourself.

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Unread postby peeker643 » Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:12 pm

pup wrote:Sweet. We are all the way to he saved the franchise by ducking and running and hiding behind his rock.

Thanks Jim!

^^^^^^^

Still has Roger Clemens poster in room. ;-) ;) :wink:

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby 1Perry » Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:52 pm

Am I Here Again? wrote:
gotribe31 wrote:...I don't blame him for taking more money, more years and a better chance to win.....

^This^ IMO he probably thought the money was nice but the years were more important. He was 32 when he signed with Philly. Once you get to that age you I think you would look to lock in for as long as someone will take you.

With the way we crashed and burned this past week or so of games a nice, feel-good story is something to look forward to. Can't wait for 7:05...

Old news but there is nothing else to do. All the arguements are fine. The contract would have been bad for the Indians, his wife wears the pants, he thought he would win sooner with Philly, fine.

Thome lost far more by leaving than he could have ever gained with 1 extra year. If Thome stays he is Mr Cleveland baseball for the rest of his life. He has a job forever. He would have stepped into the void Bob Feller left.

IMO no way losing all of that was worth another year on a contract that was still going to pay him more than he'll actually ever spend.
1Perry
The Shapiro of Posters

Unread postby motherscratcher » Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:04 pm

1Perry wrote: Old news but there is nothing else to do. All the arguements are fine. The contract would have been bad for the Indians, his wife wears the pants, he thought he would win sooner with Philly, fine.

Thome lost far more by leaving than he could have ever gained with 1 extra year. If Thome stays he is Mr Cleveland baseball for the rest of his life. He has a job forever. He would have stepped into the void Bob Feller left.

IMO no way losing all of that was worth another year on a contract that was still going to pay him more than he'll actually ever spend.

Of course it's far more likely that he would have been traded after a few years as the Indians went through a rebuild, but let's pretend that he should have given up money and taken a worse contract so he could be "Mr Cleveland" and have a job.
Shit The Bed For Ted

- Matty Toes (Vandelay Industries)
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby Dellucci TailGator » Sat Aug 27, 2011 3:09 am

pup wrote:Sweet. We are all the way to he saved the franchise by ducking and running and hiding behind his rock.

Thanks Jim!

Dispute what I said.

Would the Indians have traded for Travis Hafner if Thome signed for $18M?

Would Larry Dolan have given Kevin Millwood $10M in 2005 if payroll were $15M higher?

Do the Indians win93 games in 2005 without Hafner and Millwood? Do the Indians win the 2007 Central crown without Hafner and an aging Thome?

At least take on the argument. or ignore the post. Instead, you'll be the gaping crying vagina you always are on this board. You're Don Rickles..if Don Rickles sat in his house and anonymously and without pay crapped over everything good in life on a computer.
Dellucci TailGator

Unread postby Stu » Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:24 am

Dellucci TailGator wrote:Would the Indians have traded for Travis Hafner if Thome signed for $18M?

Probably, considering at the time of the trade both could play first base as well as dh.
Stu

Favorite Player: Eric Wedge
Least Favorite Player: Swerb

Unread postby Dellucci TailGator » Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:53 pm

Stu wrote:
Dellucci TailGator wrote:Would the Indians have traded for Travis Hafner if Thome signed for $18M?

Probably, considering at the time of the trade both could play first base as well as dh.

Hey. That's an actual argument.

Not telling me to go fuck myself.

That works.
Dellucci TailGator

Unread postby pup » Sat Aug 27, 2011 11:44 pm

Dellucci TailGator wrote:
Stu wrote:

Hey. That's an actual argument.

Not telling me to go fuck myself.

That works.

First, I am about as anonymous as Hurricane Irene. And as well liked.

Second, had no idea you were upset about the go outside and play hide and go f$#% yourself. Since I thought it was clear (obviously now I know it was not) I was telling Thome to go outside.

Of course, as Stu so well pointed out, I would not think keeping Thome would have kept them from making that trade.

If the Indians were more worried about rebuilding and didn't want to keep Thome, they would have traded him. People would have understood at that time, coming off the years of success. What pisses people off so much about CC and Lee now is that was off the back end of a mostly failed rebuild. One that was planned to be built around SP. That saw them give Thome money to a guy without a position instead of the first legit home grown ace this organization has raised since before most of us were born.

Sorry to have offended.

Go Tribe.

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Previous

Return to Cleveland Indians & MLB