Text Size

Cleveland Indians & MLB

8/22 Seattle vs. Indians

Talk Tribe, talk baseball in this forum.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, paulcousineau

Re: 8/22 Seattle vs. Indians

Unread postby scrambler » Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:59 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:IT'S ALL NUNNELY'S FAULT HE RUINED FUKUDOME

where did old nunnely end up anyway? I'd have to go back and look to see who the new guy has helped that Nunnely couldn't! fukudome's actually one of our best players right now. HE's sort of an upgrade from Buck and Urns, and filling in for injured guys, Choo then Sizemore.
scrambler

Favorite Player: Charlie Spikes
Least Favorite Player: Oelkers/Yett

Unread postby leadpipe » Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:00 pm

scrambler wrote:
andrew6586 wrote:
Bigfist wrote:
DrPoove wrote:
andrew6586 wrote:This one hurts guys. Getting swept by Detroit was bad enough, but losing a game that you should have won against a team that is God awful is much worse. We need to win 11 games on this homestand. We got off on the wrong foot and need to rebound by winning the next three against Seattle.

It hurts because you play 11 games at home against proverbial turds in the punchbowl Mariners, Royals and A's. To lose in that fashion while scoring 0 earned runs is brutal.

But look at the lineup that was out there. Donald batting second. Fukudome 5th. Matt DHing 6th. Hanahan 7th. Marson 8th. Zeke 9th. I have seen AAA lineups better than this.

Yeah but look at who failed the most tonight: Brantley. We has been digressing over the last couple of weeks and tonight was crushing. Even with that horrible lineup we still had a chance to win. Brantley choked on a fatty when the presented itself.

This. Brantley is a brutal leadoff hitter. That's a problem with this team. Zero capable leadoff hitters. But an OBP under .320 doesn't cut it batting first. I thought Fukudome was a great candidate to leadoff as he was a .370 OBP guy with the Cubs, but as soon as he put on a Tribe uniform his walks ended and he can't get on base either. I guess Choo would be our best candidate now. HE can run a little too. Brantley needs to hit 6 or 7 I think. He's got some pop in his bat. Well, at least beofore injury he did.

My stating of stats is not looked highly upon and someone will tell me ignore Brantley's .320 OBP as a leadoff hitter. IT's fine.

You are correct. Brutal on base percentages for lead-off hitters. However, this is also the reason Brantley is still probably the best choice - cause then it boils down to guys getting the most at bats. Brantley has put together some nice at bats in big situations this year. Would you rather have Brantley get another plate appearance in the 9th, or would you like one of the other humps they've had lead off. And Fukodome stinks, so I'd rather he not get an additional swing either.

And understand I realize Brantley has about the worst nagging injury a hitter could have AND on a good team the guys probably a fourth outfielder, but they are dealing with a lot of garbage out there.

Bottom line, Brantley Fuko and Zeke have poor leadoff skills, but Brantley is the best player, so, he's the lesser of evils in regard to getting at bats.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby leadpipe » Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:06 pm

scrambler wrote:

where did old nunnely end up anyway? I'd have to go back and look to see who the new guy has helped that Nunnely couldn't! fukudome's actually one of our best players right now. HE's sort of an upgrade from Buck and Urns, and filling in for injured guys, Choo then Sizemore.

So he's better than Buck (arguably) Kearns and Zeke. Calling him one of our better players.... Aside from being unable to hit, get on base, not drive in runs or hit taters...

Besides that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby scrambler » Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:15 pm

leadpipe wrote:
scrambler wrote:

So he's better than Buck (arguably) Kearns and Zeke. Calling him one of our better players.... Aside from being unable to hit, get on base, not drive in runs or hit taters...

well, with Hafner and Kipnis on the DL, I'd go with Choo, Cabrera and Santana as superior offensive players right now to fuku. Brantley's not playing well. He's had big plays in some big wins...he started the 9th inning rally in Texas in a come from behind win...he got HBP to win a game against Detroit!...he got the big triple to greatly contribute to the middle White Sox win. He started an almost tying rally against Detroit in the 9th yesterday. He's done some decent things since his arrival. HE's hitting close to .270 this year (cubs stats included), that's astronomical on this team.
scrambler

Unread postby Dnthateonthepronk » Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:04 am

Maybe this will give everybody some hope........ For what its worth.

In our 62 losses, 21 of those have been by 1 run, if you expand that # to losses of 2 runs or less , it's 30. Just about half of our losses have been by 2 runs or less. I look at this as even with the offense tanking, injuries, youth, etc, more often than not this team is in the game. They are pretty much in every game. They just need that one offensive hot streak and they got a shot since their pitching consistently keeps them in almost every game.

Actually now I'm just frustrated....so many games they should have won if we just had some offense
:gah:
Alex White: Just like School on Sunday......No Class.
Dnthateonthepronk

Favorite Player: Dan Marino
Least Favorite Player: Alex Rodriguez

Unread postby leadpipe » Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:43 am

scrambler wrote:
leadpipe wrote:
scrambler wrote:

well, with Hafner and Kipnis on the DL, I'd go with Choo, Cabrera and Santana as superior offensive players right now to fuku. Brantley's not playing well. He's had big plays in some big wins...he started the 9th inning rally in Texas in a come from behind win...he got HBP to win a game against Detroit!...he got the big triple to greatly contribute to the middle White Sox win. He started an almost tying rally against Detroit in the 9th yesterday. He's done some decent things since his arrival. HE's hitting close to .270 this year (cubs stats included), that's astronomical on this team.

Brantley has had arguably more big hits than anyone on the team. He also gives you a professional at bat every time, and on this team those aren't easy to come by sometimes. That being said he's nursing an injury, but I'd still rather have him up there than Fuko.

I care about Fuko's stats with the Cubs as much as I care about Ruth's from the Yankees. Neither is doing the Tribe any good.

The guy is a bad player, a fifth outfielder. You wanna argue he's any more than that fine. Lucky to be on a team that's in such a sad state offensively that they gotta give him at bats. Fact of the matter is if you put a guy in RF with zero pop and he's not good enough to hit 1 or 2, well, you've got yourself a losing player. And anyone old enough to remember the Tribe of the late 70's and 80's....well this type of outfielder is what they collected for 15 pathetic seasons.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby scrambler » Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:46 am

Players LaPorta has a worse OBP than....Phelps, Donald, Hannahan, Marson, Carrera, Kearns, Duncan. POor Matolla!
scrambler

Unread postby scrambler » Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:52 am

leadpipe wrote:
scrambler wrote:
leadpipe wrote:
scrambler wrote:

Brantley has had arguably more big hits than anyone on the team. He also gives you a professional at bat every time, and on this team those aren't easy to come by sometimes. That being said he's nursing an injury, but I'd still rather have him up there than Fuko.

The guy is a bad player, a fifth outfielder. You wanna argue he's any more than that fine. Lucky to be on a team that's in such a sad state offensively that they gotta give him at bats. Fact of the matter is if you put a guy in RF with zero pop and he's not good enough to hit 1 or 2, well, you've got yourself a losing player. And anyone old enough to remember the Tribe of the late 70's and 80's....well this type of outfielder is what they collected for 15 pathetic seasons.

That's a bit how I feel about JImenez' 2010 Rocky stats!!!
scrambler

Unread postby peeker643 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:03 am

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:
peeker643 wrote:
Cerebral_DownTime wrote:You got Percocet? WTF, don't be holding out on me. Hook a brotha up.

I do not. I prefer misery and excruciating pain. That way when there's only moderate pain I feel good about life.

They're at Giant Eagle. I can't drive and Lisa worked today. Figured sending my 16 yr old up for narcotics was bad form.

In all seriousness, is it your back that's fucked up?

Left knee. Patella tendon or MCL. Find out more at 10am. May just throw self in front of train at 11am.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby googleeph2 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:00 am

peeker643 wrote:Left knee. Patella tendon or MCL. Find out more at 10am. May just throw self in front of train at 11am.

So, not related to the headache thing?

Did that get resolved?
googleeph2

Favorite Player: Todd Beamer
Least Favorite Player: .

Unread postby skatingtripods » Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:47 am

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:The Honey Hut sounds like a titty bar.

Exactly what I said last night.

Did they have abortion flavored ice cream? They could call it the LaPorta.

The LaPorta is already a shit ice cream sandwich. A strip of vanilla ice cream between two turds. Needless to say, I didn't order that.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby peeker643 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:23 pm

googleeph2 wrote:
peeker643 wrote:Left knee. Patella tendon or MCL. Find out more at 10am. May just throw self in front of train at 11am.

So, not related to the headache thing?

Did that get resolved?

No. Different from the head issues. The anti-seizure meds seemed to resolve the headache issues and I've weened myself off those.

Just in time for a knee to go out. :thumb up:

Thanks for asking sir.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Previous

Return to Cleveland Indians & MLB