Text Size

Cleveland Browns & The NFL

Browns sign Joe Thomas to extension

Talk Browns football and discuss the NFL here.

Moderators: peeker643, jb, swerb, pup

Browns sign Joe Thomas to extension

Unread postby gotribe31 » Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:04 pm

Per Adam Schefter. 7 years, $84 million with $44 million guaranteed. This is good news.
You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves
-----Abe Lincoln

Let me tell you, if any of you douchebag empty headed stuffed suit nanny politicians tries to fuck with my bacon, I’m going after you like a crazed chimpanzee on bath salts.
-----Lars
gotribe31

Favorite Player: Francisco Lindor
Least Favorite Player: Michigan

Re: Browns sign Joe Thomas to extension

Unread postby pup » Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:17 pm

:clap:
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:20 pm

Excellent. Dude is worth every penny.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:25 pm

Maybe he'll play like he deserves it this year as opposed to last year's meh season.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby SoulDawg74 » Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:29 pm

gotribe31 wrote:Per Adam Schefter. 7 years, $84 million with $44 million guaranteed. This is good news.

SD:

Sanity in these contracts , the proven vets get what they deserve , while the rookies have to prove they deserve.

Outstanding reward for our top baller.

SoulDawg
SoulDawg74

Unread postby hiko » Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:00 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:Maybe he'll play like he deserves it this year as opposed to last year's meh season.

I agree with this.

Last year's Pro Bowl was on reputation. He CAN be great, so he needs to go ahead and DO it.
hiko

Favorite Player: Gray
Least Favorite Player: Black and White

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:09 pm

SoulDawg74 wrote:
gotribe31 wrote:Per Adam Schefter. 7 years, $84 million with $44 million guaranteed. This is good news.

SD:

Sanity in these contracts , the proven vets get what they deserve , while the rookies have to prove they deserve.

SoulDawg

60% of all vet FAs settled for 1 year deals.

39% accepted minimum deals.

So you're wrong.

And this is my big problem w/ the Browns off-season. Well, I shouldn't say problem more so accepted proof that they are tanking.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby SoulDawg74 » Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:21 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:
SoulDawg74 wrote:

SD:

SoulDawg

Eye >

60% of all vet FAs settled for 1 year deals.

39% accepted minimum deals.

So you're wrong.

And this is my big problem w/ the Browns off-season. Well, I shouldn't say problem more so accepted proof that they are tanking.

SD74 :

Hey Einstein , Joe Thomas isn't a free agent .

which means all your feather flapping about being right about something is dead flat ass wrong .

As was the point , the big money is now being allocated to signing proven players like Fitz and Joe and Chris Johnson when that Iceburg thaws, which was my point .

Thanks for playin though you won a complimentary toiletry item for your input.

soulDawg
SoulDawg74

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:23 pm

Ah okay, so because a few stars resign for mega money the market is great for the vets.

Even guys like Barret Ruud and Braylon are worth far more than the shit they got on the market.

The system is heavily slanted toward the owners at this point, save for a few mega deals.

You talk about 3 deals, I'll cite 68 1 year contracts.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby SoulDawg74 » Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:19 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:Ah okay, so because a few stars resign for mega money the market is great for the vets.

Even guys like Barret Ruud and Braylon are worth far more than the shit they got on the market.

The system is heavily slanted toward the owners at this point, save for a few mega deals.

You talk about 3 deals, I'll cite 68 1 year contracts.

SD:

Your using an anolamy as the norm .

free agency came after the draft this season .

It devalued many a potential free agent because teams drafted for need unsure of the market , then rounded out their roster with free agents they couldn't find in the draft .

Situational positions were switched .

Moreover with such a glut of talent which had to find jobs in a limited time the buyers market was like Fish rotting on the docks .

Those who waited , lost their shelf life.

SoulDawg
SoulDawg74

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:23 pm

Cap space is only going to go up $3MM next year.

It won't be as severe as this year but things are not going to be full of rich vets.

Fact is, you're going to end up seeing a system where the few truly elite make insane money and everyone else gets some piece of a much smaller leftover pie.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby gotribe31 » Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:57 am

ESPN Scouts Inc ranked Thomas as the #9 player in the entire NFL.
http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/story?id ... r-rankings

Thomas is an excellent combination of size, strength and athleticism. He has great instincts and reactions. His technique is strong for such a young player, and he obviously takes his craft seriously.

Thomas can get to the second level as a run blocker and is adept at hitting a moving target downfield. Thomas could stand to add more strength. He is a physical lineman that can set the tone in the running game.
You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves
-----Abe Lincoln

Let me tell you, if any of you douchebag empty headed stuffed suit nanny politicians tries to fuck with my bacon, I’m going after you like a crazed chimpanzee on bath salts.
-----Lars
gotribe31

Favorite Player: Francisco Lindor
Least Favorite Player: Michigan

Unread postby hiko » Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:32 pm

gotribe31 wrote:ESPN Scouts Inc ranked Thomas as the #9 player in the entire NFL.

Thomas is an excellent combination of size, strength and athleticism. He has great instincts and reactions. His technique is strong for such a young player, and he obviously takes his craft seriously.

Thomas can get to the second level as a run blocker and is adept at hitting a moving target downfield. Thomas could stand to add more strength. He is a physical lineman that can set the tone in the running game.

I'd like to see someone from in here that watches every game agree that he is indeed the #9 player in all of football.
hiko

Unread postby mattvan1 » Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:17 pm

hiko wrote:
gotribe31 wrote:ESPN Scouts Inc ranked Thomas as the #9 player in the entire NFL.

I'd like to see someone from in here that watches every game agree that he is indeed the #9 player in all of football.

Must be using some type of VORP or some other whacky sabremetric value ranking.

You could rephrase and say "Joe Thomas is the best LT in the NFL" and you would probably be correct. At least he gets paid as if he was.
I don't need to be patient, they're going to be shit forever.
- CDT, discussing my favorite NFL team
mattvan1

Unread postby hiko » Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:20 am

mattvan1 wrote:You could rephrase and say "Joe Thomas is the best LT in the NFL" and you would probably be correct.

Oh, I wouldn't say that either, but I guess quibbling over semantics is foolish of me. He's a damn good player. We need damn good players. I'm glad he'll be our damn good player for several more years.
hiko

Unread postby mattvan1 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:56 am

hiko wrote:
mattvan1 wrote:You could rephrase and say "Joe Thomas is the best LT in the NFL" and you would probably be correct.

Oh, I wouldn't say that either, but I guess quibbling over semantics is foolish of me. He's a damn good player. We need damn good players. I'm glad he'll be our damn good player for several more years.

I'll re-phrase the re-phrase. We are all disappointed in a rather lackluster 2010, but as Coach Bum once said "He may not be at the head of the class, but it don't take long to call roll."
mattvan1

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:24 am

Kinda with Hiko here.

Who determines he had a lackluster (for him) year? Same guys that paid him and were happy to hand him $44m or the players that voted him to Pro Bowl?

Or was it the 50 member panel that selected him as an All Pro?

Or maybe it was just someone here suggesting he looked lazy.

Hate to do the dick thing and ask for a link showing me anything other than a board member or blogger's opinion, but I'm gonna here. ;-) ;) :wink:
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby hiko » Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:18 pm

peeker643 wrote:Kinda with Hiko here.

Who determines he had a lackluster (for him) year? Same guys that paid him and were happy to hand him $44m or the players that voted him to Pro Bowl?

Hate to do the dick thing and ask for a link showing me anything other than a board member or blogger's opinion, but I'm gonna here. ;-) ;) :wink:

But I'm one of the people saying he looked slow last year (not lazy). And I will gladly say it's only my opinion. I watched every game at least twice last year, and I saw him get beat one-on-one far too often. All those QB injuries were from guys hitting them from the blindside.

If I were Tom Heckert, I'd pay him too. He was great in 2007-2009, just not as effective in 2010, but there could be tons of reasons for that. I have to assume that he'll get back to form, and he's still a good LT even if he plays at 2010 level. Just not elite.

As far as the All Pro and Pro Bowl stuff... partly attributable to reputation/popularity, partly to a lack of elite LT's in the game right now.
hiko

Unread postby mattvan1 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:03 pm

hiko wrote:
peeker643 wrote:Kinda with Hiko here.

But I'm one of the people saying he looked slow last year (not lazy). And I will gladly say it's only my opinion. I watched every game at least twice last year, and I saw him get beat one-on-one far too often. All those QB injuries were from guys hitting them from the blindside.

If I were Tom Heckert, I'd pay him too. He was great in 2007-2009, just not as effective in 2010, but there could be tons of reasons for that. I have to assume that he'll get back to form, and he's still a good LT even if he plays at 2010 level. Just not elite.

As far as the All Pro and Pro Bowl stuff... partly attributable to reputation/popularity, partly to a lack of elite LT's in the game right now.

^^^^This.
Chris and I are quibbling over whether Thomas is #1 or somewhere in the top 3 or so. Either way we both agree he deserves the $$$. And I agree too that he did not appear to be as dominating as he was in 2009. My opinion from actually watching every game. Some others (not many, admitedly) shared this opinion, such as Peter King of SI, who cast his All Pro voted for Jake Long and Marshall Yanda. Although a blogger (albeit for ESPN) thought Thomas "didn't have his best year in 2010." He did play hurt all season. Maybe that had something to do with it. Maybe not. I don't know. I do know that I drink while watching the games; maybe that is the root cause of "lackluster"
mattvan1

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:17 pm

Gotcha both. Incorrectly interpreted it.

I think there's merit to Hiko's "Pygmy amongst midgets" concept re: LT position and I'm all for mattvan1 drinking during games.

Also believe there's something (a lot actually) to be said for dude suiting up 64 straight despite the injuries he had last year and the lack of incentive putting yourself out there for this team brings.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby hiko » Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:16 pm

peeker643 wrote:Also believe there's something (a lot actually) to be said for dude suiting up 64 straight despite the injuries he had last year and the lack of incentive putting yourself out there for this team brings.

No doubt. He's probably worth the money just for that, since scary = Jason Pinkston/Eric Steinbach starting at LT.
hiko

Unread postby Prosecutor » Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:06 pm

If I'm not mistaken it was Thomas who got beat in the first game of the season on the play just before halftime where Delhomme got hit as he released the ball, which forced a fluttery, inaccurate pass that was picked off and returned nearly for a TD. Not only was it a 10-point play that changed the momentum of the game and led directly to a Browns loss, but it knocked out Delhomme for half the season. Delhomme had led the offense to 14 points in the first half and was driving for more after an excellent preseason.

I think Thomas also got beat later in the year resulting in an injury to either Wallace or McCoy. I know I wasn't too thrilled with his play last year but if he wasn't 100% that would explain it. Still, I'm glad to see him extended, especially since he could have walked but wanted to finish his career here.

After surviving the Phil/Romeo and Mangini regimes it's amazing any star player would want to stay here, but Thomas says Holmgren, Heckert, Shurmur, and McCoy are winners and the franchise is on track for a championship, so I'm down with that. For four years he mostly kept his mouth shut and now he's gushing about the future and putting Randy's money where his mouth is. I see a gleam.
Prosecutor
Plutonian Outliers

Unread postby mattvan1 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:11 pm

Prosecutor wrote:If I'm not mistaken it was Thomas who got beat in the first game of the season on the play just before halftime where Delhomme got hit as he released the ball, which forced a fluttery, inaccurate pass that was picked off and returned nearly for a TD. Not only was it a 10-point play that changed the momentum of the game and led directly to a Browns loss, but it knocked out Delhomme for half the season. Delhomme had led the offense to 14 points in the first half and was driving for more after an excellent preseason.

I think Thomas also got beat later in the year resulting in an injury to either Wallace or McCoy. I know I wasn't too thrilled with his play last year but if he wasn't 100% that would explain it. Still, I'm glad to see him extended, especially since he could have walked but wanted to finish his career here.

After surviving the Phil/Romeo and Mangini regimes it's amazing any star player would want to stay here, but Thomas says Holmgren, Heckert, Shurmur, and McCoy are winners and the franchise is on track for a championship, so I'm down with that. For four years he mostly kept his mouth shut and now he's gushing about the future and putting Randy's money where his mouth is. I see a gleam.

Let the record reflect that the injury to Jake Delhomme was, in the long run, A GOOD THING.
mattvan1

Unread postby trsteve1 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:48 pm

Prosecutor wrote:If I'm not mistaken it was Thomas who got beat in the first game of the season on the play just before halftime where Delhomme got hit as he released the ball, which forced a fluttery, inaccurate pass that was picked off and returned nearly for a TD. Not only was it a 10-point play that changed the momentum of the game and led directly to a Browns loss, but it knocked out Delhomme for half the season. Delhomme had led the offense to 14 points in the first half and was driving for more after an excellent preseason.

egads! an OLineman got beat?, omigosh, is he supposed to be perfect or something?
sheesh, way to be PICKY.. still one of the best LTs in the game, good deal for the Browns, locking up a YOUNG/TALENTED lineman just before his PRIME is a solid idea, especially seeing how inconsistency in the OL is death for ANY offense.. now if we can just get some playmakers around him (or have some step up)..
Le sigh
trsteve1

Favorite Player: Nolan Ryan
Least Favorite Player: Troy Aikman

Return to Cleveland Browns & The NFL