Text Size

Cleveland Indians & MLB

Thome

Talk Tribe, talk baseball in this forum.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, paulcousineau

Thome

Unread postby Kingpin74 » Mon Aug 22, 2011 4:42 pm

He was put on waivers today and Pronk's on the 15 Day DL. He wouldn't be a bad short term solution at DH, we're kind of desperate. Olney connected him to us on Twitter also.
"Well then I guess there's only one thing left to do...win the whole, f***in', thing."- Jake Taylor
Kingpin74

Favorite Player: Mario Lemieux
Least Favorite Player: Dwight Howard

Re: Thome

Unread postby noles1 » Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:00 pm

Mentioned this to my brother yesterday as the injury happened. Could be some legs to this, although I've heard quite a few other teams involved in his potential bidding.

Would be some kind of story though if Jimmy came back and was able to help us somehow into the playoffs.

Pronk did not look good and if we want to have any chance, may have to try and pull the trigger over the next couple days...
Playing here is the closest thing to heaven. Really, I mean it's amazing to be in a place where the fans truly cherish their football team and stick behind them win or lose. We players love them, too. I feel a sense of accomplishment playing here, we are a special breed of football players with a great opportunity." ~ tOSU LB Brian Rolle
noles1

Favorite Player: Jason Kipnis
Least Favorite Player: Mark May's Parents

Unread postby Triple-S » Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:05 pm

I want to see him retire an Indian.

All the ill-will that was felt about the "Wife is my rock" comments will be washed away by him just giving one last go-around with the Tribe to me.

Him and Lofton were my top 2 favorite indians of all time, it don't seem right to me see him in any other uniform but with the script "Indians" on it.

Do it.
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories

Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Unread postby Am I Here Again? » Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:17 pm

If we put a bid in for him we'd have to wait for quite a few teams to pass before he fell to us. OTOH, might the other teams pass on him just so he could rejoin the Tribe for his swan song?

If we were to pick Thome up his current stats of home runs (12) and RBIs (40) in 68 games would put him third on the Tribe with home runs (A-Cab has 20 in 122 games & Santana is at 19 in 118 games) and sixth in RBIs. If you want to see the top five guys in that department you can click for the MLB page here: http://cleveland.indians.mlb.com/stats/ ... er+hitting

What the heck, go for it! By the time Hafner comes back rosters are expanded. Whatever few fans are left that are still mad at Thome for wanting, IMO, that extra year (he was already 32 when he went over to the Phillies) will just have to deal with it.
I've tried 'em all, I really have, and the only church that truly feeds the soul, day in, day out, is the Church of Baseball.~~~Annie Savoy-"Bull Durham"
Am I Here Again?
Tribe-a-Holic

Favorite Player: Sam McDowell
Least Favorite Player: Any Red Sox or Yank

Unread postby dpdad » Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:21 pm

Go get him. I didn't like the way Jimmy left in 2002 any better than anyone else, but Thome brings a genuine power bat to the lineup that the Tribe is sorely lacking.
dpdad

Unread postby leadpipe » Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:24 pm

I'd rather have him then a "healthy" Hafner.

Look, Travis Hafner isn't good. Add his salary he's awful for the team. Add the fact he's playing the roll of the big man in a major league line-up and it's even worse.

Practically every guy on this board has mentioned at one time or another how Matt LaPorta is about the sorriest player in the league. Well, compare those guys numbers and tell me how much different they are? Granted Hafner's are slightly better - but again, we're talking slightly better than Matt friggin' LaPorta. Not to mention as bad LaPorta is with the glove, at least he can put one on.

With Hafner you needed to get lucky twice. He needed to hit AND he needed to stay healthy. At the beginning of the year he was hitting BUT along came the month or so off.....then the time it takes him to get back....and the last couple months, while thankfully he isn't chasing his own "balls off the fists records he set the last two years, or chipping everything to right - he hasn't been good at all. More like a guy that should be about your 6th or 7th hitter - although you hope your guys down in the line-up could do something else. And now he'll be back on the shelf for who knows how long.

And lets stop projecting numbers for him. He's consistently hurt a time or two a year - he misses inner-league games....so it is what it is, we're damn near into September and a guy who's been hitting 3 or 4 all year has 4 more RBI's than Matt LaPorta. He's going to give you what he can give you in a hundred games. Projecting over 162 wins you dick in the real world.

On offense the Tigers meal ticket is Miggy. The Tribe's is....Hafner? Chicago Konerko... There's a little difference in those at bats.

Seems like a great guy. But Old Yeller was a great dog. The best for the team is when that albatross is gone.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby redneckofsc » Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:40 pm

I assume it wouldnt take much to get him, and Hafner has gone back to his shitty form, and I have zero confidence in him. That being said, I would give maybe half of my left nut to get Thome
"I kill a communist for fun, but for a green card, I gonna carve him up real nice."

"All I have in this world is my balls and my word and I don't break them for no one."
redneckofsc
The Ultimate Grinder

Favorite Player: Wil Cordero
Least Favorite Player: Matt LaPorta

Unread postby Symbolic47 » Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:53 pm

Holy crap if this is even a remote possibility you have to do it. I dont know how much of a difference he would make at this point, but he would instantly be our best power threat. And thats pretty sad.
Symbolic47

Favorite Player: Santana
Least Favorite Player: Ubaldo

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:54 pm

As Bastian said, no way the White Sox don't put in a claim to block this from happening.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby Bigfist » Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:29 pm

If the White Sox claim Thome, then they have to sit Dunn. Ok..Dunn has sucked this year, but that is an expensive bench player.
Bigfist

Favorite Player: AJ Griffin
Least Favorite Player: Jeff Juden

Unread postby peeker643 » Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:03 pm

Bigfist wrote:If the White Sox claim Thome, then they have to sit Dunn. Ok..Dunn has sucked this year, but that is an expensive bench player.

Not really over the last two months though. Pro-rate Thome's $3m annual and you'd have to think the Sox would be willing to spend whatever that nominal amount is to make that position more productive.

Pricey for 6 weeks? Maybe.

As costly as not having any production though?
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby dazindiansfanuk » Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:06 pm

You've gotta remember though, Dunn isn't DH'ing for the White Sox...... Konerko is because he's got bad knees.

Dunn's playing 1B right now so, if you sit him then you'd have to play one of Konerko or Thome at 1B and I don't see the Sox doing that.

Still, it wouldn't surprise me to see the Sox put in a claim to block him from getting to the Tribe. The Twins are very unlikely to just let Thome go without any player in return and, even if they do, the Sox could just use Thome as a bat off the bench.
dazindiansfanuk
Tyner Is God

Favorite Player: Jhonny Peralta
Least Favorite Player: Curt Schilling

Unread postby metalhead9x9 » Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:24 pm

Given that both are available, why would you choose Thome over Kubel? Kubel's a better hitter right now and can actually play the field. Might cost you more in prospects, but all things equal, I take Kubel.
metalhead9x9

Favorite Player: Schaudenfraude
Least Favorite Player: Jeffrey Maier

Unread postby peeker643 » Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:30 pm

metalhead9x9 wrote:Given that both are available, why would you choose Thome over Kubel? Kubel's a better hitter right now and can actually play the field. Might cost you more in prospects, but all things equal, I take Kubel.

Without a doubt.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby TribeinLA » Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:00 pm

You have to do this strictly for financial reasons alone. Good god, I would fly up to Cleveland just to watch Thome once more.
TribeinLA

Favorite Player: Asdrubal Cabrera
Least Favorite Player: Josh Beckett

Unread postby Adverb Harry » Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:41 pm

I think the Indians have got to do this, and you've gotta believe they've had some pretty heavy discussions about just this. Worst case scenario (if the season goes in the crapper) is that the Indians sell a bunch of extra tickets in the final month.
Adverb Harry

Favorite Player: Jason Kipnis
Least Favorite Player: Ubaldo, Bud Selig

Unread postby YahooFanChicago » Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:04 pm

If we can get Thome for cash and/or a never will be PTBNL why not.

If we are looking for offensive production though I think we need to be realistic and if people were thinking Hafner is washed-up don't expect much more from Thome. Their lines are very similar this year. Hafner with a better AVG and Thome walks more and is slugging better. Thome has good splits against lefties which is much needed on our Indians club.

Hafner Avg = .281 OBP = .364 OPS = .812
Thome AVG = .256 OBP = .365 OPS = .868

If the cost is low why not do a deal. If the cost is more than a low level C prospect forget it.

Gee Miss Crabtree, you're even pretier 'n Miss McGuilacutty...
YahooFanChicago

Favorite Player: Miss Crabtree
Least Favorite Player: Chubsy Wubsy

Unread postby Bigfist » Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:17 pm

dazindiansfanuk wrote:You've gotta remember though, Dunn isn't DH'ing for the White Sox...... Konerko is because he's got bad knees.

Dunn's playing 1B right now so, if you sit him then you'd have to play one of Konerko or Thome at 1B and I don't see the Sox doing that.

Still, it wouldn't surprise me to see the Sox put in a claim to block him from getting to the Tribe. The Twins are very unlikely to just let Thome go without any player in return and, even if they do, the Sox could just use Thome as a bat off the bench.

I don't believe Thome has played in the field since 2006. Even when the Dodgers got him a couple of years ago, all he did was pinch hit. I suppose the White Sox could claim him and make a deal for him, and allow him just to pinch hit, but that seems unlikely to me.
We definitely could use any warm bat right now.
Bigfist

Unread postby peeker643 » Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:29 pm

Bigfist wrote:
dazindiansfanuk wrote:You've gotta remember though, Dunn isn't DH'ing for the White Sox...... Konerko is because he's got bad knees.

I don't believe Thome has played in the field since 2006. Even when the Dodgers got him a couple of years ago, all he did was pinch hit. I suppose the White Sox could claim him and make a deal for him, and allow him just to pinch hit, but that seems unlikely to me.
We definitely could use any warm bat right now.

That's a good point in terms of where he'd fit there.

All is said and done I just think Kubel is a far more valuable piece. Wonder what the price tag is on him.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby pup » Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:51 pm

Screw Thome.

Place some of our guys on waivers and see if we can get a nibble.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby Spin » Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:51 am

Like we need another left handed bat... :pb:
Spin

Favorite Player: Jack N. Coke
Least Favorite Player: 72 hour work weeks

Unread postby peeker643 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:06 am

Spin wrote:Like we need another left handed bat... :pb:

Effective hitters from any side would be excellent. Or maybe another righthanded stick like LaPorta would be better than Thome or Kubel.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Spin » Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:57 am

peeker643 wrote:

Effective hitters from any side would be excellent. Or maybe another righthanded stick like LaPorta would be better than Thome or Kubel.

I would rather have a right handed Thome or Kubel. Strategy wise.
Spin

Favorite Player: Jack N. Coke
Least Favorite Player: 72 hour work weeks

Unread postby exiledbuckeye » Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:06 am

Jim Thome batting right-handed is probably still a better hitter than 90% of this offense.
exiledbuckeye

Favorite Player: OSU
Least Favorite Player: scUM

Unread postby peeker643 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:30 pm

Spin wrote:
peeker643 wrote:

I would rather have a right handed Thome or Kubel. Strategy wise.

We all would. Identifying and getting one is the issue.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby WiscTribeFan » Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:57 pm

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=A ... ans-hafner

Looks like Hafner might be done for the season.
Don't go away mad, just go away.
WiscTribeFan
Mook

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby redneckofsc » Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:10 pm

WiscTribeFan wrote:http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=Ao5fQ7eRelcrj8hJ6oJvEWgRvLYF?slug=ap-indians-hafner

Looks like Hafner might be done for the season.

As if we needed anymore proof God hates Cleveland.

I fully expect Masterson to go down with shoulder problems.
"I kill a communist for fun, but for a green card, I gonna carve him up real nice."

"All I have in this world is my balls and my word and I don't break them for no one."
redneckofsc
The Ultimate Grinder

Favorite Player: Wil Cordero
Least Favorite Player: Matt LaPorta

Unread postby Dnthateonthepronk » Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:33 pm

If Hafner is done for the year. Then Thome is probably the best realistic option.

The only negative I see is having to left handed DH's who cant play the field if Hafner does come back, it limits the bench flexibility but then again the rosters are expanding, and who knows what will happen.

I say claim him and take a chance. Depth isnt a bad thing. If by some chance we get to the postseason and we have both a healthy Thome and a healthy Hafner, well there are much worse problems to have.

plus on the nostalgic side, he deserves to be able to come home ala Lofton in 2007.

But it doesnt matter, Chicago will claim him and fuck everything up.
Alex White: Just like School on Sunday......No Class.
Dnthateonthepronk

Favorite Player: Dan Marino
Least Favorite Player: Alex Rodriguez

Unread postby peeker643 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:58 pm

Players placed on waivers are there for two days. if the Indians split today and the White Sox win tonight it would seem to me the Indians would be behind the Sox.

You can do the math for the various scenarios given the teams were tied coming in today bu something has to give by the time the waiver period ends (assuming Thome went on yesterday). The teams won't be tied after tonight one way or the other and that (I believe) is when the waiver period would end and claims would be reviewed.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby WiscTribeFan » Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:00 pm

Dnthateonthepronk wrote:But it doesnt matter, Chicago will claim him and fuck everything up.

We don't need the White Sox to fuck things up for us. We're doing a pretty good job of that on our own.
WiscTribeFan
Mook

Unread postby pup » Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:37 pm

Per E$PN

Thome has never been part of a championship team, despite coming very close with the 1997 Indians. He has a strong relationship with the manager of one of the current World Series favorites -- Charlie Manuel, he of the Phillies, and formerly of the Indians.

If the Twins don't make a waiver deal with Thome this week, what they could do, after withdrawing him from waivers, is to place him on a different type of waivers -- release waivers. Thome would presumably be claimed by all the teams that will claim him on waivers. But because Thome has the contractual right to veto a trade, he could reject the claim, walk away from his current contract and become a free agent -- and then sign with the Phillies, or any other team.

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby Bigfist » Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:35 pm

If I remember right, Thome was not particularly enthralled with the idea of, at most, one at bat per game. Even if he does have a relationship with Manuel, I can't see him signing on for just one at bat per game.
Bigfist

Unread postby peeker643 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:37 pm

Bigfist wrote:If I remember right, Thome was not particularly enthralled with the idea of, at most, one at bat per game. Even if he does have a relationship with Manuel, I can't see him signing on for just one at bat per game.

And he did that in LA and hated it.

I have no idea what he wants to do but I do know he's more durable and likely productive than Travis Hafner from now until death. There's the potential the Indians would consider another $3m/1yr deal for 2012 to have him DH/PH and swing the bat 350 or 400 times next year when a veteran bat with pop is even more of a priority.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby dazindiansfanuk » Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:42 pm

peeker643 wrote:
Bigfist wrote:If I remember right, Thome was not particularly enthralled with the idea of, at most, one at bat per game. Even if he does have a relationship with Manuel, I can't see him signing on for just one at bat per game.

I have no idea what he wants to do but I do know he's more durable and likely productive than Travis Hafner from now until death. There's the potential the Indians would consider another $3m/1yr deal for 2012 to have him DH/PH and swing the bat 350 or 400 times next year when a veteran bat with pop is even more of a priority.

Do you see Thome coming back anywhere next year?

Now that he's reached 600 I wouldn't be shocked to see him walk off into the sunset this off-season.
dazindiansfanuk
Tyner Is God

Favorite Player: Jhonny Peralta
Least Favorite Player: Curt Schilling

Unread postby peeker643 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:53 pm

dazindiansfanuk wrote:
peeker643 wrote:

Do you see Thome coming back anywhere next year?

Now that he's reached 600 I wouldn't be shocked to see him walk off into the sunset this off-season.

It wouldn't shock me either. Not at all. In fact, other than the Indians, Twins or Phillies making that 2012 offer I doubt he does. But if he'd consider it all it'd be for those teams and for the fact dude can still be an effective role player who doesn't need to be much else, right a perceived wrong from years ago, maybe play for a playoff contender next season, collect more cabbage and end the career as it started leaving no doubt as to which he hat he wears in Cooperstown (if there is one to begin with).

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Damage » Tue Aug 23, 2011 5:43 pm

pup wrote:Per E$PN

Thome has never been part of a championship team, despite coming very close with the 1997 Indians. He has a strong relationship with the manager of one of the current World Series favorites -- Charlie Manuel, he of the Phillies, and formerly of the Indians.

If the Twins don't make a waiver deal with Thome this week, what they could do, after withdrawing him from waivers, is to place him on a different type of waivers -- release waivers. Thome would presumably be claimed by all the teams that will claim him on waivers. But because Thome has the contractual right to veto a trade, he could reject the claim, walk away from his current contract and become a free agent -- and then sign with the Phillies, or any other team.

Well that's a barker's rope if you ask me.
"I must be cruel only to be kind;
Thus bad begins, and worse remains behind."
Damage

Favorite Player: Terrell Brandon
Least Favorite Player: Joe Table

Unread postby WiscTribeFan » Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:40 am

From MLBTraderumors.com

WEDNESDAY, 9:14am: The White Sox were one of several teams putting in a claim for Thome, reports Daryl Van Schouwen of the Chicago Sun-Times. ESPN's Buster Olney tweets that "there is a high expectation among executives that the White Sox will be awarded the claim." For that to happen, Thome would have to get past the Orioles, Royals, Mariners, and Athletics. That seems feasible, though it's possible one of the four would put in a claim with an eye on a potential draft pick.
WiscTribeFan
Mook

Unread postby Dnthateonthepronk » Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:47 am

Fuck Kenny Williams. No class.
Dnthateonthepronk

Unread postby WiscTribeFan » Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:15 pm

Dnthateonthepronk wrote:Fuck Kenny Williams. No class.

I'm not a fan of Williams by any stretch, but they are a half game behind us. If we feel that we're still in it, then so are they.

Can't say I blame them for putting in this claim, being that Thome played there only 2 years ago and is from Illinois. He's not blocking Thome from us, he's trying to improve his club right now.
WiscTribeFan
Mook

Unread postby Dnthateonthepronk » Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:26 pm

WiscTribeFan wrote:

I'm not a fan of Williams by any stretch, but they are a half game behind us. If we feel that we're still in it, then so are they.

Can't say I blame them for putting in this claim, being that Thome played there only 2 years ago and is from Illinois. He's not blocking Thome from us, he's trying to improve his club right now.

I get that think they are still in it. However I see this more as a block move than them wanting him for their team.

Us having Jim Thome is not gonna make or break our season nor will it make or break Chicago's season if they get him or we get him. The chances of us or the White Sux winning the series this year are very very very low. I know we as fans of any team all say "All we need to do is get their", but deep down we all know that is just a BS saying that teams who are far more inferior than the other teams in the playoffs tell themselves. Even though baseball has a much better chance than some of the other major sports for that to happen.

It would be a classy show of respect ( Which Kenny Williams has neither ) to let Jimmy go home to Cleveland for a farewell tour or to a team like Philly who actually has a legit shot at getting a ring, which would actually be my preferred spot for him.

Im not saying Kenny Williams should just give up on his season and let us have Thome, Im saying he should be able to objectively look at the situation his team is in and understand that letting Jimmy go through waivers will not make or break his season.
Dnthateonthepronk

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:29 pm

Dnthateonthepronk wrote:
WiscTribeFan wrote:

I get that think they are still in it. However I see this more as a block move than them wanting him for their team.

Us having Jim Thome is not gonna make or break our season nor will it make or break Chicago's season if they get him or we get him. The chances of us or the White Sux winning the series this year are very very very low. I know we as fans of any team all say "All we need to do is get their", but deep down we all know that is just a BS saying that teams who are far more inferior than the other teams in the playoffs tell themselves. Even though baseball has a much better chance than some of the other major sports for that to happen.

It would be a classy show of respect ( Which Kenny Williams has neither ) to let Jimmy go home to Cleveland for a farewell tour or to a team like Philly who actually has a legit shot at getting a ring, which would actually be my preferred spot for him.

Im not saying Kenny Williams should just give up on his season and let us have Thome, Im saying he should be able to objectively look at the situation his team is in and understand that letting Jimmy go through waivers will not make or break his season.

Thome's more effective than one of Williams' nine main guys. He's making his team better and depriving a team in front of him the possibility of doing the same. To me it makes sense baseball wise even if Ozzie has to ty and figure a way to shoehorn Thome into that lineup.

YMMV

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Dnthateonthepronk » Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:43 pm

peeker643 wrote:
Thome's more effective than one of Williams' nine main guys. He's making his team better and depriving a team in front of him the possibility of doing the same. To me it makes sense baseball wise even if Ozzie has to ty and figure a way to shoehorn Thome into that lineup.

YMMV

I disagree. To me it makes no sense. Thome can only DH or PH and even if he could play 1B, that leaves him only 2 out of those 9 positions he can play. The other 7 main guys dont even matter because he cant play their positions. But the two spots that he can play are occupied by Konerko and Dunn.

He isn't more productive than Konerko, and they just gave a huge deal to Dunn. Dunn will be none to happy to have his playing time reduced which could cause trade demands, etc. and/or plus you run the risk of damaging the pyschological state of one of your "major long term players". It could cause more problems than what its worth. Now if they have gone to Dunn before this and let him know and he has no problem then there is a spot for Thome and it makes sense.

Im just saying rather than claiming him to prevent a relatively inconsequential move to the White Sux or to us, he should show respect for him and let him go to a winner. Claiming or not claiming Jim Thome will not save or destroy the White Sux season.
Dnthateonthepronk

Unread postby WiscTribeFan » Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:22 pm

Dunn has an OPS of .589, striking out 150 times in 360 AB. He's actually hitting worse in the second half than he was in the first.

At this point, if the Sox are trying to stay in it, you have to put the best guys on the field, regardless of salary issues. Thome would be an upgrade, even if he only played a couple of times a week.

I have no issue with this, and it's not Williams' job to be a nice guy. It's his job to try to win, and basically save his job. If the Sox were 25 games below .500, that would be a different story. They'll probably be in second place after tonight.
WiscTribeFan
Mook

Unread postby skatingtripods » Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:31 pm

Konerko has also said, though his numbers don't show it, that he hates DHing. That would open the door for Thome to DH and Dunn to ride the pine.

From the looks of it, we don't really need Thome at this point now either.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:51 pm

WiscTribeFan wrote:Dunn has an OPS of .589, striking out 150 times in 360 AB. He's actually hitting worse in the second half than he was in the first.

At this point, if the Sox are trying to stay in it, you have to put the best guys on the field, regardless of salary issues. Thome would be an upgrade, even if he only played a couple of times a week.

I have no issue with this, and it's not Williams' job to be a nice guy. It's his job to try to win, and basically save his job. If the Sox were 25 games below .500, that would be a different story. They'll probably be in second place after tonight.

Exactly. To say Thome isn't more productive or that you should concern yourself with the whining of a guy you overpaid and who has underachieved and instead make it a "Williams is dicking us" thing is illogical and is emotional based.

I understand the emotional part. But it has nothing to do with the White Sox looking to step over the Tribe's corpse and trying to catch the Tigers.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby smalls1129 » Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:00 pm

I'll take Kubel anyhow, and both were claimed today.
"Strangers passing in the street, by chances two separate glances meet and I am you and what I see his me."
smalls1129

Favorite Player: A-Cab
Least Favorite Player: Squire James

Unread postby statmasta » Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:26 pm

The White Sox didn't put a claim in on Thome, according to ESPN's Pedro Gomez.

So it looks like he's been awarded to the Indians. They have 48 hours to work out a deal.
statmasta

Favorite Player: Sandy Alomar Jr.
Least Favorite Player: A.J. Pierzynski

Unread postby bookelly » Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:42 am

statmasta wrote:The White Sox didn't put a claim in on Thome, according to ESPN's Pedro Gomez.

So it looks like he's been awarded to the Indians. They have 48 hours to work out a deal.

If this happens, and I hope it does, it will be interesting to see how many walk-ups they have for the next week of games.
Nobody, I mean nobody, voluntarily becomes a Cleveland sports fan.

"This team could fuck up a ham sandwich." -CDT
bookelly
Happy Easter!!

Favorite Player: My bunny hunny
Least Favorite Player: Elmer Fudd

Unread postby RedDawg53 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:43 pm

bookelly wrote:
statmasta wrote:The White Sox didn't put a claim in on Thome, according to ESPN's Pedro Gomez.

If this happens, and I hope it does, it will be interesting to see how many walk-ups they have for the next week of games.

Nothing wrong with getting more people to the games. But how does this help the team out? I guess it's a better option than Sloth DHing.

Any word on Kubel coming to the Tribe, too? Or is he going elsewhere?
RedDawg53
Witness The Kipnis

Favorite Player: Nick Swisher
Least Favorite Player: NYY

Unread postby pup » Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:04 pm

I am going to a game if Thome comes back with a sign saying,

"What's wrong Jim, Philly didn't want you this time?"

F Thome.

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup