Text Size

Cleveland Indians & MLB

Cool story

Talk Tribe, talk baseball in this forum.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, paulcousineau

Cool story

Unread postby swerb » Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:53 am

"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Re: Cool story

Unread postby noles1 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:57 am

Don't know the rules or what not but was left reading that wondering why Dolan didn't pick up the tab on something like that rather than the team throwing around a collection plate.

Awesome gesture by the guys though.
Playing here is the closest thing to heaven. Really, I mean it's amazing to be in a place where the fans truly cherish their football team and stick behind them win or lose. We players love them, too. I feel a sense of accomplishment playing here, we are a special breed of football players with a great opportunity." ~ tOSU LB Brian Rolle
noles1

Favorite Player: Jason Kipnis
Least Favorite Player: Mark May's Parents

Unread postby redneckofsc » Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:05 am

noles1 wrote:Don't know the rules or what not but was left reading that wondering why Dolan didn't pick up the tab on something like that rather than the team throwing around a collection plate.

Ummm....maybe because he is cheap.
"I kill a communist for fun, but for a green card, I gonna carve him up real nice."

"All I have in this world is my balls and my word and I don't break them for no one."
redneckofsc
The Ultimate Grinder

Favorite Player: Wil Cordero
Least Favorite Player: Matt LaPorta

Unread postby Larvell Blanks » Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:09 am

noles1 wrote:Don't know the rules or what not but was left reading that wondering why Dolan didn't pick up the tab on something like that rather than the team throwing around a collection plate.

Awesome gesture by the guys though.

Seeing they were out of town, doubt Dolan got wind of it until the next day or so.

Says alot that the team would come together and make this happen. Shows you that some of these guys aren't the ego maniacs that they're made out to be.

Funny how we had to find about about this through CBS and Yahoo rather than our local guys who actually cover the team.
Galley Boys are slop on top of a so-so burger and a bun you coulde get from a Covneninet food mart generic pack. They the Antoine Joubert of burgers; soft, sloppy, oozing grease and cheap sauce and extremely overrated by a biased fan base. Proof that if you throw enough cheap sauce shit on a burger you still can't overcome the lame burger. -JB
Larvell Blanks

Favorite Player: Foots Walker
Least Favorite Player: un named sources

Unread postby WiscTribeFan » Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:13 am

Great story.

As for the Dolan angle. You can be cynical and say Pronk could have simply picked up the check as well, given his salary and career earnings. It wasn't about Dolan or any one guy doing it, it was this guy's team-mates doing someone incredibly thoughtful for a guy that's probably not even going to be their team-mate next year.
Don't go away mad, just go away.
WiscTribeFan
Mook

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby noles1 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:35 am

WiscTribeFan wrote:Great story.

As for the Dolan angle. You can be cynical and say Pronk could have simply picked up the check as well, given his salary and career earnings. It wasn't about Dolan or any one guy doing it, it was this guy's team-mates doing someone incredibly thoughtful for a guy that's probably not even going to be their team-mate next year.

Agree 100% on the team aspect of it, I just went the Dolan route because my work puts me in a familar circle with the family and it's pretty sad they can't offer up the same service they use regularly on their own company or as B.O.D. members of companies they serve on. Honestly, he should read this and be ashamed it had to resort to that.
Playing here is the closest thing to heaven. Really, I mean it's amazing to be in a place where the fans truly cherish their football team and stick behind them win or lose. We players love them, too. I feel a sense of accomplishment playing here, we are a special breed of football players with a great opportunity." ~ tOSU LB Brian Rolle
noles1

Unread postby British_Pharaoh » Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:42 am

Wow. His mates and their millions of dollars managed to pool together and gather a measly $35k so he could see the birth of his child.
To be honest that should be an automatic gesture for your teammate in that situation.
However it doesn't change the fact that guys like Justin masterson really do have big hearts and are stand up guys. But let's get some perspective, no one gave him a kidney and none of the players are missing that money.
"There is but one thing of real value: to cultivate truth and justice and to live without anger in the midst of lying and unjust men"

-Marcus Aurelius
British_Pharaoh
Tony Sipp IS HERE!

Favorite Player: Brantley // Irving
Least Favorite Player: Alexei Ramirez

Unread postby scrambler » Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:42 am

After reading that, I'm glad Hannahan is going to be a major leaguer this whole season. He might not next year and this is way more important than whether him or Duncan is the 25th man on the roster for the next two weeks.
scrambler

Favorite Player: Charlie Spikes
Least Favorite Player: Oelkers/Yett

Unread postby bookelly » Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:28 pm

I had something in my eye...but then I read the Dolan is cheap comments in this thread.

Thanks.

I swear some of you guys would turn down a golden brick because it was slightly dented on one side. Seriously.
:clap:

Glass is always halfway to hell around here I guess. :salute:

/Man...it's hard enough to be a Cleveland sports fan without having complete asshats as company.
//thanks Swerb for the link btw - I enjoyed it.
Nobody, I mean nobody, voluntarily becomes a Cleveland sports fan.

"This team could fuck up a ham sandwich." -CDT
bookelly
Happy Easter!!

Favorite Player: My bunny hunny
Least Favorite Player: Elmer Fudd

Unread postby noles1 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:50 pm

bookelly wrote:I had something in my eye...but then I read the Dolan is cheap comments in this thread.

Thanks.

I swear some of you guys would turn down a golden brick because it was slightly dented on one side. Seriously.

/Man...it's hard enough to be a Cleveland sports fan without having complete asshats as company.

Oh piss off. My comment on Dolan had nothing to do with diminishing the generousity of the players in this case. Simply an observance from someone who hears how our organization always does right and yet seemingly missed the boat on a gesture here.

What the players did was great, absolutely no question or debate there. Any money they pulled together is a gesture beyond recourse. Take your "Cleveland fan" rant some place else, that shit is weak and whiny.

The fact that the organization who has their own corporate jet and their owner who uses it along with Boards of a company he serves on is all I am pointing out being disappointed in. That doesn't diminish or undermine the story or gesture. It's just an alternative point being made to the story presented. And I don't buy that word never could have gotten to him in time for a decision. Otherwise, why have a traveling team of assistants, liasons and executives to the front office.
noles1

Unread postby GodHatesClevelandSport » Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:38 pm

Some people will use any story they can to take a shot at the Dolans. Were Larry or Paul Dolan in the dugout at the time the decision was made for Hannahan to hop on a private jet in, what, an hour or two? Did they even know it happened until later?
GodHatesClevelandSport

Favorite Player: Joe Smith
Least Favorite Player: Joe Smith

Unread postby Am I Here Again? » Wed Aug 17, 2011 4:33 pm

noles1 wrote:
bookelly wrote:I had something in my eye...but then I read the Dolan is cheap comments in this thread.

Thanks.

Oh piss off. My comment on Dolan had nothing to do with diminishing the generousity of the players in this case. Simply an observance from someone who hears how our organization always does right and yet seemingly missed the boat on a gesture here.

What the players did was great, absolutely no question or debate there. Any money they pulled together is a gesture beyond recourse. Take your "Cleveland fan" rant some place else, that shit is weak and whiny.

The fact that the organization who has their own corporate jet and their owner who uses it along with Boards of a company he serves on is all I am pointing out being disappointed in. That doesn't diminish or undermine the story or gesture. It's just an alternative point being made to the story presented. And I don't buy that word never could have gotten to him in time for a decision. Otherwise, why have a traveling team of assistants, liasons and executives to the front office.

Kids come QUICK! In a winter storm! I had to get my pregnant-and-two-months-away-from-due-date ass from the south side of Brunswick to Fairview General Hospital quick enough so that we weren't pulling over to the side of the road and delivering kids ourselves. Left the house close to four, Baby A was plucked out at 7:06AM, Baby B followed one minute later. You DON'T HAVE time to do anything but react when something critical like a premature birth is busy happening. Poor Jack was terrified for his wife (I know, I've seen the same thing from mine) and could only react in the moment. The team also reacted in the moment. I'm guessing no one even thought they should contact the Dolans. This was probably the first time something like this had ever come up too.

Since you travel "in a familiar circle with the family" then perhaps you can make a suggestion to someone who can get a message to corporate that should this situation ever occur again the manager should call for the plane to be on the tarmac. Of course if the owners chose to not travel to an away series that time it WOULD mean their plane is probably hangared in Cleveland.....
I've tried 'em all, I really have, and the only church that truly feeds the soul, day in, day out, is the Church of Baseball.~~~Annie Savoy-"Bull Durham"
Am I Here Again?
Tribe-a-Holic

Favorite Player: Sam McDowell
Least Favorite Player: Any Red Sox or Yank

Unread postby Am I Here Again? » Wed Aug 17, 2011 4:34 pm

BTW swerb, thanks a lot for such a nice story. Sorry we're raining on the parade...
I've tried 'em all, I really have, and the only church that truly feeds the soul, day in, day out, is the Church of Baseball.~~~Annie Savoy-"Bull Durham"
Am I Here Again?
Tribe-a-Holic

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Wed Aug 17, 2011 4:44 pm

Awesome.

I'd love to see a baseball hat stuffed with $35K.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 4:47 pm

For God's sake. The effing plane could have been in Dallas or Paris or San Francisco or it could have been in Cleveland and it would have been useless to send it by the time anyone knew Hannahan needed one right now.
The guy made it with 15 minutes to spare with a plane that was in Boston and made available for his immediate use. I'm thinking the 80 minutes from Cleveland to Boston and back, after someone was notified, wouldn't have served the purpose.

Can we get a 'Slitting Wrists' emoticon? I'd use the shit out of that.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby gotribe31 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 4:50 pm

I still can't beleive the Dolans forced Hannahan's wife to give birth prematurley. What a bunch of cheap assholes.
You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves
-----Abe Lincoln

Let me tell you, if any of you douchebag empty headed stuffed suit nanny politicians tries to fuck with my bacon, I’m going after you like a crazed chimpanzee on bath salts.
-----Lars
gotribe31

Favorite Player: Francisco Lindor
Least Favorite Player: Michigan

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 4:56 pm

gotribe31 wrote:I still can't beleive the Dolans forced Hannahan's wife to give birth prematurley. What a bunch of cheap assholes.

If you don't think Eric Wedge and Luis Isaac had a hand in this mess then you are dumber than you are dumb.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:03 pm

peeker643 wrote:For God's sake. The effing plane could have been in Dallas or Paris or San Francisco or it could have been in Cleveland and it would have been useless to send it by the time anyone knew Hannahan needed one right now.
The guy made it with 15 minutes to spare with a plane that was in Boston and made available for his immediate use. I'm thinking the 80 minutes from Cleveland to Boston and back, after someone was notified, wouldn't have served the purpose.

What are you, a fucking travel agent now?

There is a gun in the mouth brain explosion emoticon, but I have no time to look for it.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:12 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:
peeker643 wrote:For God's sake. The effing plane could have been in Dallas or Paris or San Francisco or it could have been in Cleveland and it would have been useless to send it by the time anyone knew Hannahan needed one right now.

What are you, a fucking travel agent now?

There is a gun in the mouth brain explosion emoticon, but I have no time to look for it.

Right. I've noticed by the last three hours of you posting here you're ridiculously busy.

I don't trust ogres anyway. I'll find what I need myself.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby leadpipe » Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:37 pm

I heard Dolan is witholding his gift to Hanahan until the 9 1/2 month mark.

Allegedly overheard was something to the effect of "I ain't losin' that interest to no preemie."
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby bookelly » Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:01 pm

noles1 wrote:

Thanks.

Thanks for proving my point. Q.E.D.

bookelly
Happy Easter!!

Unread postby FortheWin » Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:03 pm

So the players on the indians were carrying around 35 K?
DON'T QUIT
FortheWin

Favorite Player: Asdrubal Cabrera
Least Favorite Player: .

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:21 pm

FortheWin wrote:So the players on the indians were carrying around 35 K?

Was this some type of Columbian airline that accepts only cash? Like the pilot wouldn't let Hannahan on without a briefcase of cash or blow?

I'm sure if a guy said, "I'm in for a grand once I get back" that his word was probably good enough.

You think the hat they passed was a derby or a bowler?

This thread is amusing on many levels. ;-) ;) :wink:

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby bookelly » Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:51 pm

peeker643 wrote:

Was this some type of Columbian airline that accepts only cash? Like the pilot wouldn't let Hannahan on without a briefcase of cash or blow?

I'm sure if a guy said, "I'm in for a grand once I get back" that his word was probably good enough.

You think the hat they passed was a derby or a bowler?

I wonder if Hafner (I assume Hafner as he's the wealthiest) had to call his old lady and make sure there was enough left on the Platinum card.

"Honey, I need $35,000 RIGHT now. Don't ask me why."

bookelly
Happy Easter!!

Unread postby gotribe31 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:55 pm

He should have just called Lenny Dykstra. Dude has a hookup on private jets
You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves
-----Abe Lincoln

Let me tell you, if any of you douchebag empty headed stuffed suit nanny politicians tries to fuck with my bacon, I’m going after you like a crazed chimpanzee on bath salts.
-----Lars
gotribe31

Favorite Player: Francisco Lindor
Least Favorite Player: Michigan

Unread postby Larvell Blanks » Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:04 am

peeker643 wrote:

I can imagine the traveling secretary on a dirt runway out in Gloucester like Johnny Depp in Blow

You think the hat they passed was a derby or a bowler

Obviously it's a stove pipe, it just holds more

Galley Boys are slop on top of a so-so burger and a bun you coulde get from a Covneninet food mart generic pack. They the Antoine Joubert of burgers; soft, sloppy, oozing grease and cheap sauce and extremely overrated by a biased fan base. Proof that if you throw enough cheap sauce shit on a burger you still can't overcome the lame burger. -JB
Larvell Blanks

Favorite Player: Foots Walker
Least Favorite Player: un named sources

Unread postby redneckofsc » Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:36 am

"I kill a communist for fun, but for a green card, I gonna carve him up real nice."

"All I have in this world is my balls and my word and I don't break them for no one."
redneckofsc
The Ultimate Grinder

Unread postby aldamon » Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:44 am

gotribe31 wrote:I still can't beleive the Dolans forced Hannahan's wife to give birth prematurley. What a bunch of cheap assholes.

:hide:

We couldn't wait a second longer for our 3B of the future.
aldamon

Unread postby Dellucci TailGator » Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:09 pm

They also sent along third base coach Steve Smith to encourage the baby and mother in the emergency room by wheeling his arms wildly around in a circle and screaming, "C'MON! SLIDE!!! GET DOWN! GET DOWN!"
Dellucci TailGator

Favorite Player: Derek Lilliquist

Unread postby Dnthateonthepronk » Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:54 pm

Nah man, you know some of them probably dropped their diamond earrings and gold chains in the hat too. It wasn't just cash.
Alex White: Just like School on Sunday......No Class.
Dnthateonthepronk

Favorite Player: Dan Marino
Least Favorite Player: Alex Rodriguez

Unread postby Dnthateonthepronk » Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:55 pm

Dellucci TailGator wrote:They also sent along third base coach Steve Smith to encourage the baby and mother in the emergency room by wheeling his arms wildly around in a circle and screaming, "C'MON! SLIDE!!! GET DOWN! GET DOWN!"

At least it wasn't Skinner, then the baby woulda been out at the Vagi.....plate
Dnthateonthepronk

Unread postby Cease » Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:05 pm

On the news last night (WKYC, IIRC), they said the baby boy was delivered at 2 lbs, 11 oz. Any parent can tell you the risks associated with a birth-weight that low. That's one of the lowest I've ever heard. I'm sure the clubhouse understood how especially pressing this condition was for Hanny. Them not letting him miss it wasn't so he could hand out cigars, it was far more than that.

I could understand reporters close to the team sitting on this story out of concern for the privacy of the family.

That said, I'll respectfully wish the best for the family and the boy, who will probably be in the hospital for several months before coming home.
Cease

Favorite Player: Gamers
Least Favorite Player: Chuckers

Unread postby Dnthateonthepronk » Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:10 pm

On a serious note, it is a real testament to the character of the guys in that clubhouse and I think it speaks volumes of the Indians philosophy of putting a high price on character and their way keeping the young guys together at the different levels and organizational training which builds a sense of teamwork/family/commraderie from the very beginning.
Dnthateonthepronk

Unread postby skatingtripods » Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:20 pm

Only took one post for a shot at Dolan, eh? I see this place hasn't changed in the 4 days I was away.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby motherscratcher » Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:22 pm

Cease wrote:On the news last night (WKYC, IIRC), they said the baby boy was delivered at 2 lbs, 11 oz. Any parent can tell you the risks associated with a birth-weight that low. That's one of the lowest I've ever heard. I'm sure the clubhouse understood how especially pressing this condition was for Hanny. Them not letting him miss it wasn't so he could hand out cigars, it was far more than that.

I could understand reporters close to the team sitting on this story out of concern for the privacy of the family.

That said, I'll respectfully wish the best for the family and the boy, who will probably be in the hospital for several months before coming home.

Mine was 3lbs 2oz. He spent about 6 weeks in NICU and released once he reached around 4 lbs and could breath and swallow reliably (important things I guess). Barring any other complications (and there's been no mention of any) I think 2-2.5 months sounds about right.
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby Cease » Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:33 pm

Scratch, what a grinder for your family- I can only imagine that roller coaster. Hope you and others know I was trying to shed light on the sensitivity of the Hanny story. Not making light of it at all. Peace.
Cease

Favorite Player: Gamers
Least Favorite Player: Chuckers

Unread postby redneckofsc » Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:17 pm

So this thread has mentions of grinder, character, Dolan, Wedge, Luis Isaac, third base coach, and a vagina.

All it is missing is a reference to Brandon Phillips.

redneckofsc
The Ultimate Grinder

Unread postby WiscTribeFan » Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:20 pm

And the phrase 'stool sample'.
Don't go away mad, just go away.
WiscTribeFan
Mook

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby Am I Here Again? » Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:11 pm

And now we return you to our original story:

MLB did an updated story on today's website. You can read it here: http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd ... b&c_id=mlb

In a nutshell: Jenny is home, Johnny is "eating well, gaining weight, breathing on his own and showing signs that he will develop into a healthy boy" Due to come home mid-October.

On a personal note, our twins were born 8 weeks early at 3 1/2 and 4 pounds. Like all babies right after birth their weights dropped. Son got down to 2 lb, 15 1/2 oz. Scary times. But neither of them were off breathing tubes or IVs/tube feedings until around one month so I take the news about the littlest Handyhands as great news. They also were in the hospital until two weeks before their due date.

If you're a praying kind of person send up a thought for the family. Right now ALL of them can use support.
Am I Here Again?
Tribe-a-Holic

Unread postby motherscratcher » Sat Aug 20, 2011 4:13 pm

Cease wrote:Scratch, what a grinder for your family- I can only imagine that roller coaster. Hope you and others know I was trying to shed light on the sensitivity of the Hanny story. Not making light of it at all. Peace.

Oh yeah, dude. No worries. I didn't think you were making light of anything. (Not that I would mind if you did. I'm of the opinion that there is very little that you shouldn't be able to make light of in general. The world would be better if people didn't take so much stuff so damn seriously.)

Anyway. Kid is good. Almost 3. About the right mixture of unbearably cute/complete pain in the ass. The funny thing is, I remember my wife and I thinking how much easier it would be when we could get him home from the hospital. So we didn't have to keep driving back and forth. You know, because it's so much easier taking care of a baby full time than making a few 15 minute drives a day.

Yeah, we're dumbasses.

Glad to hear that Johnny seems to be doing well and is on the right track.
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby Am I Here Again? » Sat Aug 20, 2011 4:47 pm

But in a way it IS easier to take care of them when they are home. I remember when our two were in; the drive was about 25 minutes each way and the time spent in the hospital seemed like so little, but when you're home you do nothing but worry and wish for them to come home. But yeah, the day-to-day care isn't there. Once they're home you see how they are and can peek in whenever you want to know they're safe. Now if our two had just slept and eaten more when they first came home we might not still be suffering from what my hubby still calls our "Sleep Deprivation Study"...
Am I Here Again?
Tribe-a-Holic

Return to Cleveland Indians & MLB