Text Size

College Sports Arena

YahooSports Publishes Miami Story

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

Re: YahooSports Publishes Miami Story

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:00 pm

That's not how the Richter scale works.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:03 pm

I really hope you're right about this CDT.

W/ your track record I hesitate to put faith in you but I'm pulling for you here. Peeks need put back in his place.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:09 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:That's not how the Richter scale works.

Whatever Doctor Science Guy.

So maybe it's the first number. One of the last two things I wrote is correct. That's still a way higher average than you bring to the dish.
Like a 6.0 would be ten times more powerful than a 5.0.
Fuck off. My point stands.

;-) ;) :wink:
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby JCoz » Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:09 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:You're pretty dense if you think Yahoo calling the OSU an eight isn't becaues the shock value drove the size of the story way up.

Which as you said, Robinson (you know a guy on the team that called the OSU story an eight... KEY WORD, STORY, NOT CRIMES) wasn't out just for OSU blood.

The quote you are talking about the 8 versus the 10 quote was YAHOO TALKING ABOUT THE SIZE OF THE STORY, NOT THE HISTORICAL STATUS.

You're also really fucking stupid if you can't work outliers into a situation like this. Try taking a stats course then come back to me. I recommend the lowest level.

Right, well to be fair, I'm probably mixing some other feelings regarding how this OSU story has been blown out of proportion, so I'll back off a bit on my tirade.

But those other cases I mentioned, were also STORIES Eo, the historic ones.

Were all the famous cases outliers? How many outliers can you have before they cease to be outliers? I fully understand the term.

Maybe Yahoo was only talking about an 8 in thier history of sports investigative journalism. Seriously, in that contextI could see that.
JCoz
Donnie, you're out of your element

Favorite Player: Competency
Least Favorite Player: Gene Smith

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:16 pm

I can walk around Boston for two straight days and 100% of the people I ask will know about the OSU story becaues Tressel and Pryor made it a huge story.

Maybe, maybe 40% of the general pop will know about the UNC story because Butch Davis is a nobody to the general pop and who cares about Robert Quinn?

And yes, the Yahoo quote was directly applied to these three stories so I would assume it relates to USC.

As for the outlier thing, seriously, ABORTIONS PAID FOR AND HIDDEN FROM FATHERS BY TOOLBOX is all I have to say.

This story is like taking The Program, putting it on steroids and giving the general public all the juicy details. There is a reason the NCAA investigators reportedly said that this is unlike anything ever beyond SMU.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby JCoz » Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:31 pm

Its amazing no doubt Eo. I'm just saying that there are plenty of stories above the OSU one historically, beyond UM. So Even throwing UM out, that scale likely doesn't compute.

And E0 how much of that HUGENESS to OSU's story, can be contributed to hack witers, incessent ESPN coverage and the like?

If ESPN had given the USC and UM (in other words Yahoo! story) treatment to OSU it simply wouldn't have been half the story it was, IMO.
JCoz

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:34 pm

peeker643 wrote:
Cerebral_DownTime wrote:That's not how the Richter scale works.

Whatever Doctor Science Guy.

So maybe it's the first number. One of the last two things I wrote is correct. That's still a way higher average than you bring to the dish.
Like a 6.0 would be ten times more powerful than a 5.0.
Fuck off. My point stands.

;-) ;) :wink:

We'll i've been a Geologist for at least 45 minutes, so.........
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:38 pm

JCoz wrote:And E0 how much of that HUGENESS to OSU's story, can be contributed to hack witers, incessent ESPN coverage and the like?

The second the OSU story broke I was getting shit from every single out of towner I know.

Tressel was a top name in the coaching ranks of the 20+ years.

Everyone hated OSU.

Pryor made himself into one of the biggest recruits of all time.

The second the Oregon story broke no one bothered to give my former roommate shit because noone gave a rats ass about Chip Kelly.

I'm talking about the first week of the story, before the six straight months of OSU shit from ESPN.

OSU is a huge story and Tressel being Tressel made it even bigger, facts.

And comparing old time shit to anything in this modern media age is fallacy fun!!!

These stories are born at a time when the media's reach is the largest it could ever be. So if you think SMU's picture being on the front of a few papers was the huge of a story you're on crack.

You really struggle to understand what the word STORY means.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:40 pm

Let me make this real simple for you:

The Tiger Woods story was probably a bigger "STORY" than fucking JFK getting shot in the head.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby JCoz » Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:47 pm

No I dont struggle with the word E0, come on man. I may be struggling to seperate the STORY from the actual information contained within the situation. Fair enough. Due to the size and speed of the media and social networking, it doesn't take much more than a big name to be a bigger "story" than the old scandals I guess. I'll wave the white flag on that one. I was arguing a different point ultimately it seems.

But as an aside E0, nobody really gives a fuck about the west coast. Ever.

I wonder how everyone could be giving you so much shit, what just because you wore an OSU hat or something?
JCoz

Unread postby JCoz » Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:48 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:Let me make this real simple for you:

The Tiger Woods story was probably a bigger "STORY" than fucking JFK getting shot in the head.

Yah, figured it out without that simplification, but thanks anyways. Save your simplifications for SD.
JCoz

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:49 pm

Everyone that knows me knows I'm an OSU fan and everyone hates OSU fans.

It's that simple.

I never talk shit re: sports. I've lived away from Ohio far too long and learned long ago all someone has to do is yell scoreboard and I lose.

You really underestimate the national hate for OSU.

Fuck, I hate the general population of OSU fans.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:53 pm

JCoz wrote:

Yah, figured it out without that simplification, but thanks anyways. Save your simplifications for SD.

I just cannot wrap my head around what historical fuck ups has to do w/ Yahoo's quote about the size of Yahoo's story (and the fact that said story re: Tressel did go insanely large).

Also, let's face it, ESPN may suck at reporting shit but they are very good at spoonfeeding their audience shit that will sell and draw clicks (CLICK HERE FOR 500 FANTASY FOOTBALL PODS!!#$!).

I have no idea how arguing about the size of the OSU story makes any sense.

And The Gold Club incident going down in this era w/ abortions and all and featuring college and high school age peeps is about as outlier as outlier gets.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby JCoz » Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:55 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:Everyone that knows me knows I'm an OSU fan and everyone hates OSU fans.

It's that simple.

I never talk shit re: sports. I've lived away from Ohio far too long and learned long ago all someone has to do is yell scoreboard and I lose.

You really underestimate the national hate for OSU.

Fuck, I hate the general population of OSU fans.

The general population of every passionate fan base is pretty fucking insufferable. I'll give you the point that OSU general population ranks highly in that regard.
JCoz

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:57 pm

^^^^ You being one of them?
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby JCoz » Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:00 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:
JCoz wrote:

I just cannot wrap my head around what historical fuck ups has to do w/ Yahoo's quote about the size of Yahoo's story (and the fact that said story re: Tressel did go insanely large).

Also, let's face it, ESPN may suck at reporting shit but they are very good at spoonfeeding their audience shit that will sell and draw clicks (CLICK HERE FOR 500 FANTASY FOOTBALL PODS!!#$!).

I have no idea how arguing about the size of the OSU story makes any sense.

And The Gold Club incident going down in this era w/ abortions and all and featuring college and high school age peeps is about as outlier as outlier gets.

Christ E0, what the fuck are you talking about. Did you read the post, where I said, yah, I'm arguing a different point (story vs actual information and case comarison)and that I wave the white flag on that? Read it till you comprehend it.

Let ME make it real simple: We are no longer in disagreement.
JCoz

Unread postby JCoz » Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:01 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:^^^^ You being one of them?

If you ask Peeker.
JCoz

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:03 pm

JCoz wrote:

If you ask Peeker.

I ain't gotta ask anyone. I asked you.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby JCoz » Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:15 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:
JCoz wrote:

If you ask Peeker.

Well I didn't have haters coming out of every corner to taunt me when this went down, but then again I'm in MD, they dont give a fuck about CFB here.

But I'm an unapologetic OSU fan. That doesn't mean people who dont ask know that. It does mean if you want to talk shit on OSU you better have your fucking facts straight. Most don't.
JCoz

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:22 pm

That's not what I asked, but ok.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby SoulDawg74 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:46 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:I can walk around Boston for two straight days and 100% of the people I ask will know about the OSU story becaues Tressel and Pryor made it a huge story.

Maybe, maybe 40% of the general pop will know about the UNC story because Butch Davis is a nobody to the general pop and who cares about Robert Quinn?

And yes, the Yahoo quote was directly applied to these three stories so I would assume it relates to USC.

As for the outlier thing, seriously, ABORTIONS PAID FOR AND HIDDEN FROM FATHERS BY TOOLBOX is all I have to say.

This story is like taking The Program, putting it on steroids and giving the general public all the juicy details. There is a reason the NCAA investigators reportedly said that this is unlike anything ever beyond SMU.

SD:

Cue the police Captain in Casablanca , as he blows his whistle for a raid while putting his winnings in his pocket.

I can't believe gambling has been going on in this establishment ......................

Sheesh what a none story , sensational in its detail , but played out on evry big name campus in the Country at some time or another.

The NCAA makes billions exploiting slave labor and now were supposed to be outraged to find out the guys who funnel it back to those players may not be the most reparable types .

prostitution graft taking officials bribery adultery and thievery in south Beach , shocking so shocking.

guess nobody heard of the mustang ranch , and the rape err a players dorms in Oklahoma .

The NCAA should be disbanded and these kids should get paid.

SoulDawg
SoulDawg74

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:56 pm

Ah yes, SD runs EVERYONE from the Browns forum and he comes down here for attention.

Sounds about right.

effing shocking.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:02 pm

lol.

Fucking "Slave labor". Implying they don't get a free education, healthcare, food, and housing. Yep that sounds just like a slave to me..... or lets not mention THEY MADE THE CHOICE to play football. Just like all other slaves throughout history had the choice.

If they don't like the benefits they get, be a regular student get an academic scholarship or pay for your education like everyone else.

The stupid shit you read from uneducated cunts on the internet never gets old...... well maybe sometimes.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby SoulDawg74 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:14 pm

JCoz wrote:
Cerebral_DownTime wrote:
JCoz wrote:

If you ask Peeker.

Well I didn't have haters coming out of every corner to taunt me when this went down, but then again I'm in MD, they dont give a fuck about CFB here.

But I'm an unapologetic OSU fan. That doesn't mean people who dont ask know that. It does mean if you want to talk shit on OSU you better have your fucking facts straight. Most don't.

SD:

The hatred and zeal to go after tOSU was pure jealousy , not the righteous correcting a wrong.

When people get a clue this is an indictment on the hypocrites who run the NCAA and bind together ,

and start paying these athletes, then as it was when they repealed prohibition the crimes they enforce as important will disappear as if they were never needed in the first place.

They look where they want and turn a blind eye when it suits them .

As an organization you are totally worthless to suddenly find all this has been going on for a decade .

This is a failure of the NCAA , they didn't want to know about Miami USC Oregon or anybody else for that matter.

They are the worst governed organization in the United States next to Welfare.

SoulDawg
SoulDawg74

Unread postby YahooFanChicago » Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:43 pm

I think when all is said and done in a year or two the OSU situation will rank about a "5" at most. Put aside the near-term media sensationalism, richter scale measurements, priest/didling/sweater-vest jokes and it's no where near an 8 out of 10 on any scale.

It's the incoming snow blizzard the night before which all the media outlets are hyping in order to get hits on their websites and viewers to watch their news. It's 30-40% real content and 60-70% hype and excess. There were real issues for sure but minor compared to the biggest NCAA scandals.

If SMU is the historic baseline, worst offender "10" calling OSU an 8 is over the top. Too soon to see where the "U" slots into this.

Gee Miss Crabtree, you're even pretier 'n Miss McGuilacutty...
YahooFanChicago

Favorite Player: Miss Crabtree
Least Favorite Player: Chubsy Wubsy

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:46 pm

Are you going to seriously make me type AGAIN that there is a very real difference between the SIZE OF A STORY and the fucking HISTORICAL MAGNITUDE OF AN EVENT.

I swear to fucking gawd.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby YahooFanChicago » Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:29 pm

No need...they aren't mutually exclusive. Size of this story and most others will vary over time and typically fade. Can't look at them as independent of one and other.

YahooFanChicago

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:34 pm

That is incorrect.

As a writer that gets paid for what the dig up Tressel's story was HUGE.

As something that is going to leave a mark on the history of college football it will end up a sad footnote in OSU's history.

You really can't say "THAT WON'T BE BIG IN A YEAR OR TWO SO IT WASN'T A BIG STORY!!!!"

Christ, the fucking Tiger Woods story ate our souls for 9 months on every single media platform. Now he's basically an afterthough. Doesn't make the actually story any less of a big SCOOOOP for the asshats that punished us by bringing it out.

I really don't understand how anyone can't get this effin concept. It's one of the simplest things ever.

Remember this entire argument is about fucking Yahoo calling the story an eight. IT WAS AN EIGHT, THAT IS PRETTY EFFING CLEAR yet you guys keep bringing up BUT NEXT YEAR!$!!
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:44 pm

Anyway, back to relevance that isn't OSU WASN'T A BIG STORY!!#!

http://sports.yahoo.com/investigations/ ... ene_081711

^ Wetzel with a kick to the NCAA's jugular to follow up all of his team's work.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:45 pm

I don't know how you quantify it on a 1-10 scale but legacy program with legacy coach getting caught with hand in cookie jar leading to legacy, national championship winning coach resigning in disgrace is a very, very big story.

Happens to hoops team, nowhere near that big. Happens to Tressel and the football team, huge story.

I think some continue to confuse the offenses and transgressions with the story. Tats and $100 handshakes, not a big offense. 'Bastion of Integrity' lying about it? Big offense and huge story.

'The U' is about to redefine 'Offenses and Transgressions'. But still may not be as big a story IMO because they have been and continue to be largely irrelevant in terms of their presence.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:49 pm

Semantics. Getting too fucking caught up on the retarded 1-10 scale. No sports story will ever compare the assassination of a POTUS.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:53 pm

What do you care about the POTUS German?!?!

And seriously, that Wetzel article is so fucking hammer meet nail.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby YahooFanChicago » Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:35 pm

Damn EO, for someone who can write some entertaining posts and even informative NBA posts you are one petulant SOB. Try some decaf.

I personally am not overly moved by the OSU situation since the underlying player violations though stupid and anoying aren't SMU, FAB5 or "U" level violations. For those of you who say the "story" and saliant issue is Tresel's attempted cover-up fine. But come'on put in the context of those player violations what would 90% of the NCAA coaches have done in the same situation? I think they would have done something similar. Doesn't make the action right but it certainly adds some perspective to the situation.

If the players underlying violations were more substantial and the coach tried to cover them up I would certaily be more outraged and the story would be more impactful to me. Hell, before this broke I didn't even know that a player trading things like championship rings for tatoes was an NCAA violation. Particularly in light of what I saw a friend of mine who played for Michigan in the 80's received in terms of "benefits".

I still don't see how you can't see how "story" and time are linked. Hell, the "story" is already history and the magnitude has certainly declined in the recent day just due to the "U". In 12 months the impact of the story will be even lower. The fade on this has already started.

YahooFanChicago

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:37 pm

So you just don't understand that this entire discussion is centered around Yahoo themselves calling the "STORY" an eight?

You are just posting about levels of violations while ignoring the entire rational behind the discussion, right?

Peeker painted the picture as clear as anyone can. I can't help you if you can't see that.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby YahooFanChicago » Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:48 pm

The discussion is about you defending it is an "8" and that this is somehow writen in stone to always be that way.

Don't try and redifine this.

YahooFanChicago

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:48 pm

Peeker painted the picture as clear as anyone can.

Yeah. He's a regular Pablo Picasso.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:49 pm

Yahoo! said it's an 8, and Yahoo is the final word on the 1-10 scale of rating anything in the history of the world. Yahoooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:50 pm

Actually I am defending the exact logic used by the same Yahoo team that has talked about the media overplaying the OSU story.

Because they were talking about the size of the story they discovered and our reward for them uncovering it was 6 months of absurdism.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:56 pm

I'm just breaking balls. don't really have a dog in this fight since i couldn't possibly give less of a shit about how YahooSports or anyone else ranks it on some ridiculous 1-10 scale.

The whole thing is absurd.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:08 am

e0y2e3 wrote:Anyway, back to relevance that isn't OSU WASN'T A BIG STORY!!#!

http://sports.yahoo.com/investigations/ ... ene_081711

^ Wetzel with a kick to the NCAA's jugular to follow up all of his team's work.

But Julie Roe Lach, the N.C.A.A.’s vice president for enforcement, said in an interview Wednesday that there had been little discussion about reviving harsh penalties like television bans or the so-called death penalty, two punishments once used by the N.C.A.A. that have long been shelved.

“There isn’t a public outcry to do something about a system that is so terribly broken,” said J. Brent Clark, a former N.C.A.A. investigator who is now a lawyer in Oklahoma City. “The game is too popular and the money is too big.”

One veteran compliance official, who requested anonymity because he was not permitted to speak publicly about Miami’s case, said that if the N.C.A.A. upheld the findings in the Yahoo report, it would be the most significant case he had seen. He said the most critical element of the report was that it appeared that coaches and administrators were aware of what Shapiro was doing and did nothing about it.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/18/sport ... ref=sports
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby motherscratcher » Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:38 am

The OSU story was huge. Fucking enormous. 8 at minimum. How the he'll could anyone say it wasn't a big story?

Dell and HP stock both went up about 100 points the day after that story broke from all of the non-OSU fans breaking their keyboards by jizzing all over their keyboards.

The fact that it ultimately amounted to very little in terms of actual violations doesn't mean it was a ginormously huge story when it broke. Christ, you could get away from it.

But this UM story. Holy shit.
Shit The Bed For Ted

- Matty Toes (Vandelay Industries)
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby motherscratcher » Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:45 am

It's like making an annoying scale from 1 to 10

1 = not annoying at all

10 = most annoying possible (like the flash mob guy)

Someone like Dan Feinberg would be around an 8. So OSU would be the equivalent of Dan Feinberg.

But then you have Flo...she doesn't belong on the scale. She breaks the fucking scale. She is a scale unto herself. Miami is Flo.
Shit The Bed For Ted

motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Unread postby JCoz » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:50 am

e0y2e3 wrote:What do you care about the POTUS German?!?!

And seriously, that Wetzel article is so fucking hammer meet nail.

I agree, but its just another in a long line of articles calling out the absurdity. Wetzel has written several articles about the subject himself.

Best thing they can do isn't articles like that, its to just keep hammering these investigations out, everyone knows they are there to be found for anyone with a flood light to expose it.

For those guys this is like the Jon Stewart show - they will never be in danger of not having material for the show.
JCoz

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:07 am

No doubt, but everytime you get the eyes like an OSU or UM story turning those eyes to the truth doesn't hurt.

My favorite moment surfing before bed last night was when the NY Times dropped that article where the NCAA strongly hinted at the death penalty and TV bans being dead I checked ESPN.com and Forde had an article stating that the death penalty was possible on the main front page thingy.

Fuckin dolts.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby JCoz » Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:46 am

Forde is a fucking idiot.I mean he has been for a long time.I dont even remember when I put him as a "least favorite player" but it was just for his articles being gigantic wastes of people's lives.His comments and "articles" on all this summers topics have tattooed the "I don't get it"directly on his forehead for all to see.
JCoz

Unread postby motherscratcher » Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:26 pm

JCoz wrote:Forde is a fucking idiot.I mean he has been for a long time.I dont even remember when I put him as a "least favorite player" but it was just for his articles being gigantic wastes of people's lives.His comments and "articles" on all this summers topics have tattooed the "I don't get it"directly on his forehead for all to see.

I'm like you. My main objection to Forde (and it hasnt' changed since the OSU stuff) is that he's not particularly insightful and he can't write for shit. The next interesting thing that he writes will be the first. How that dude got his gig is beyond me.
Shit The Bed For Ted

motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:45 pm

motherscratcher wrote:
JCoz wrote:Forde is a fucking idiot.I mean he has been for a long time.I dont even remember when I put him as a "least favorite player" but it was just for his articles being gigantic wastes of people's lives.His comments and "articles" on all this summers topics have tattooed the "I don't get it"directly on his forehead for all to see.

I'm like you. My main objection to Forde (and it hasnt' changed since the OSU stuff) is that he's not particularly insightful and he can't write for shit. The next interesting thing that he writes will be the first. How that dude got his gig is beyond me.

He was on 97.1 The Fan last night, and I swear to god he said "what WE uncovered" in relation to the Miami story. I almost ripped the radio out of my truck.

He's said similar things about the OSU story when it was going full bore. Yet he never printed a retraction for being 100% wrong about the NCAA letter.

I'd pay money to bump into him on the street.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

It really isn't hard, if they want to clean it up..

Unread postby gnati » Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:28 pm

Hastily made touris...er....proposal...didn't even proof read, be gentle...

Screw the current model of scholarship reductions, probation, bowl bans, vacating shit...

It all comes down to money, so make it about money.

The NCAA should throw out the rule book, and create a streamlined deal. It shouldn't take a fucking advanced degree to determine what is right and wrong. Keep it simple, 10 commandments simple...

Establish baselines for what is acceptable in terms of compliance for athletic departments - this includes number of staff, duties, responsibilities, expectations for what you should know.

Penalties are are clearly spelled out - if you eff up this is what happens:

Players caught breaking the rules - gone, zero justice, kicked out of school. Sucks for you and I feel bad if you had no money coming in, but that isn't the schools problem. This is the deal you signed up for, if you didnt want to accept the terms, do something else.

Schools do not get punished if players eff up...they ONLY get punished if players eff up and it is shown they either didn't have the correct compliance staff they should have OR the compliance staff reasonably should have known this was going on. Obviously grey area here as to what the "should" have known, so this is why there needs to be serious deliberation about what the standards for compliance are...

School penalties are swift and painful - it all comes down to money. First time offenders get hit with $10 million fine (I dont know the number, I made that up - if it needs to be $20 million or some percentage of revenue to athletic department to make Ohio State and UT Chattanooga somewhat equal then fine make it that). Second penalty doubles., Third penalty triples...and so on.

Apply the same monetary penalty (figure out the scale) to individuals - Tressel would get a some multi million dollar fine...if it is determined the school should have known, the individual fines cycle down through the compliance department to those who should have known.

Make it all about the money and and give incentives...or disincentives...

It could work, but it would never happen.
gnati

Favorite Player: .
Least Favorite Player: .

Unread postby JCoz » Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:35 pm

Really gnati? That's whats straight? Admin, Coaches, Schools, Conferences, the NCAA,ESPN and the like all continue on the gravy train while no changes come for the players?

What a deal for the establishment.
JCoz

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:35 pm

reminds me of the original drafted version of TARP gnati.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

PreviousNext

Return to College Sports Arena