Text Size

College Sports Arena

Conference Expansion/Reshaping

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

Re: Conference Expansion/Reshaping

Unread postby Bayou Tribe » Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:17 pm

Rumors going around that SEC commish Mike Sliver is having a roundtable this weekend with all 12 university presidents and AD's. Looks like this is growing legs all of a sudden.

Funny how when some of the younger fans on a LSU site asked what the old LSU/A&M rivalry was like, the best analogy someone could give as that LSU:A&M::Blutarsky:Neidermeyer
"Dammit you piss me off. I f#ckin hate you and I hope you f#cking get killed by a rabid polar bear you douche bag."

-- TIMMAH to CDT
Bayou Tribe
"Rickey wants to play baseball"

Favorite Player: Drew Brees
Least Favorite Player: Steve Smith

Unread postby furls » Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:17 pm

Heard this was a done deal, I am not sure how reliable the source is as I just met him this week, but his family is big money in Texas and he is a very humble soft spoken guy that doesnt strike me as the type to BS for the sake of BSing.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby JoJo White » Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:01 pm

Several "official" tweets from ESPN now saying the Aggy to the SEC along with Florida St, Clemson, and Missouri.

I have mixed feelings about all of this. The best part of all this is that the abortion known as the Big XII is now dead, if true that Mizzou is gone (I've read their feelings were hurt last year after almost not having a dance partner after showing leg for the Big Teneleven).

I can see why Aggy would want this move (gets out of UT's shadow, being their number one reason, but also the chance to play in the best conference in America, which obviously could be a big draw for recruits), but I'm a little surprised that the SEC would choose to water down their brand, especially if Mizzou and Clemson come along for the ride. I don't think it will "open up" Texas for SEC schools in recruiting; LSU and other schools already cherry-pick Texas talent, especially from East Texas and the Houston area.

I can't imagine that the Big XII would continue with 8 teams and the options I've heard bandied about to replace Mizzou & Aggy are either repulsive (Couger High, SMU) or unrealistic (BYU, Notre Dame). I'm not a big fan of UT going independent or to the Legends & Leaders, but who knows what could happen. I think the best option for UT (a victim of its own success) as joining a Pac-16 along with OU, Ok State, and Tx Tech.

I do believe that Baylor, KU, Iowa State, and K-State will be left without dance partners.
JoJo White

Favorite Player: Johann Olav Koss
Least Favorite Player: Zola Budd

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:16 pm

Funniest thing, Yahoo (Rivals) beat ESPN to the punch again.

Either way, not sure why you would want Texas in the Pac 10venty instead of the Big 10/12 JoJo. Can you elaborate on your rational here?
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby JoJo White » Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:26 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:Funniest thing, Yahoo (Rivals) beat ESPN to the punch again.

Either way, not sure why you would want Texas in the Pac 10venty instead of the Big 10/12 JoJo. Can you elaborate on your rational here?

First, even if I wanted UT to be a legend or leader, it wouldn't happen with the Longhorn Network. The LHN is Deloss Dodds' baby and he will not give that up, which I believe would be a prerequisite (or at least equal revenue sharing) to join the B1G. UT is getting $300 million from ESPN for the new network and Dodds is not going to give that up without a fight. One of my criticisms of Dodds during his time at UT is that while he has always done what's most profitable for UT (and he's done very well in that regard), what puts the most money in the coffers may not necessarily be what's best for UT football or its fans. So the LHN is not going anywhere and Dodds is going to want the biggest piece of the pie (UT is just arrogant like that). I also think that UT and OU are joined at the hip and OU's academics aren't good enough for the B1G (although with NU's acceptance into the conference, maybe the B1G is lowering its standards).

But the main reasons I think a Pac 16 is a better fit than the B1G is 1) better roadtrips, 2) better cultural fit between Austin and the West Coast, and 3) the LHN (from what I've heard) will not be an impediment to joining a Pac 16.

Of course, maybe the outrage from NU fans over UT joining the B1G would be worth it. Tom Osborne and Bo Pelini would spontaneously combust.
JoJo White

Unread postby Bayou Tribe » Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:44 pm

I guess I could see Mizzou from a media market standpoint (St Louis, KC alumni bases), but Clemson is a bit questionable. I really thought they would fight for Va Tech.

I guess I have mixed feelings about it, but as for the West - we just added two more Mississippi States, so it's no skin off my back.
"Dammit you piss me off. I f#ckin hate you and I hope you f#cking get killed by a rabid polar bear you douche bag."

-- TIMMAH to CDT
Bayou Tribe

Unread postby Triple-S » Sat Aug 13, 2011 2:55 pm

Clemson is such a better fit for the SEC it's not even funny

Rivalries with UGA, the chickens, Auburn, and with FSU sneaking over?

Hell, toss Mizzou out and put Georgia Tech in and you'd have them set. doubt UGA would let them in though.
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories

Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Unread postby JoJo White » Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:51 pm

Summary of today's events. In the words of Corso, "not so fast..."

http://www.statesman.com/blogs/content/ ... _deal.html

Is A&M to SEC a done deal?

By Suzanne Halliburton | Saturday, August 13, 2011, 12:22 PM

Updated 4:55 p.m.

We’re now hearing the Southeastern Conference won’t be meeting Sunday, according to reports in the Sporting News.

Will A&M’s expected entry into the SEC be out on hold?

Here’s a Saturday roundup of what we’re hearing regarding A&M and its potential transition to the Southeastern Conference.

First, the comments from Dan Branch seem to be more telling as the day goes on.

Branch, the chairman of the House Higher Education Committee, tells American-Statesman reporter Ralph Haurwitz:

“It’s my understanding, based upon conversations with A&M officials, that the A&M Board of Regents is meeting to consider an agenda item to authorize the president to enter into negotiations with the SEC, assuming the SEC extends an offer to A&M to join the conference,” Branch said.

Branch, a top lieutenant of House Speaker Joe Straus, said it would be “inappropriate” for the Aggies to join the SEC without discussing it first at Tuesday’s meeting called by the House Higher Education committee.

Meanwhile, Big 12 athletic directors will be meeting, via teleconference today, for an update on the situation. A&M athletic director Bill Byrne is in Europe with the Aggie basketball team.

There has been no update on the Big 12 teleconference.

The Sporting News now is reporting that there will be no meeting of the SEC. It may be because there is no 14th team to join A&M. However, according to the New York Times, there is a “30 to 40 percent chance” that the SEC wouldn’t approve A&M’s membership. The hangup, perhaps, is getting a 14th team. There are reports that Missouri, Clemson and Florida State are being courted, but those have been shot down throughout the day.

A Big 12 school administrator tells the Statesman: “There’s nothing to the Missouri (to the SEC) deal,” the administrator said. “Their AD and president have not talked to anybody over there. With the egg on their face from last year, they’re not talking to anybody.”

“I’ve heard Clemson was talking to the SEC. They might have a chance if South Carolina doesn’t keep them out.”

The Clemson president by mid-afternoon Saturday told a South Carolina paper that the school has had no contact with the SEC and would not be going.

The SEC has been maintaining radio silence on expansion. An SEC spokesman couldn’t even confirm a meeting was taking place.

The New York Times says Loftin called SEC commissioner Mike Slive three weeks ago to say the school regretted not taking an offer to join a year ago. The Times, quoting an unnamed source, said possible SEC expansion is progressing much more slowly than the media is suggesting.
JoJo White

Unread postby Bayou Tribe » Sat Aug 13, 2011 9:00 pm

As for current teams trying to "block" other teams, you need 9 of 12 universities to vote to accept a new team into the conference. So even if Carolina wanted to block Clemson or Florida wanted to block Fla St, it would be difficult at best. If the universities agree that they want to make the money, they're going to be all in.

-- TIMMAH to CDT
Bayou Tribe

Unread postby furls » Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:45 am

supposedly the SEC is likely to offer ATM today and tomorrow and ATM is 100% likely to accept. Additionally, there is talk about folks from the B12 and Texas lobby trying to get the state leg. involved to cock block it, but I am not sure that they actually can. This may be a done deal as early as Tuesday from all I am reading, with ATM going over in 13 or 14.

RIP B12. There are no appealing candidates remaining to save the conference and I cannot see them going forward with 9. TCU = No value added and BYU walked away from a shot at the P12 last year so there is no way they are going to a derelict B12. ND will go to the B1G if they ever get into a conference. The real winner in this could be the MWC who could end up with the rubble of the conference that does not get picked up elsewhere (OSU, ISU, Baylor, TTech and possibly even Kansas).

Should be some interesting fragments of the conference spinning off: UT, OU, Kansas, Mizzou and OSU. I would not be surprised to the B1G capitalize on some of the rubble. One thing is for sure, this will reshape NCAAF.

From the rumors I have read, the SEC will cherry pick the ACC (VTech makes a lot of sense) to add a 14th and talks will resume again between UT and and the B1G and we could see movement from the Big East to the ACC to maintain the league. The existing SEC schools will cock block other schools from their own states, so I don't think you will see FSU, Miami, GaTech or Clemson get the nod, like I said, I think VaTech is an excellent fit, although I think in the race to form a 16 team super conference VaTech could be a hot commodity across the board. There will be shockwaves from this and the dust won't settle for months.

Thank god, now maybe "Trinkets for Tatts" will finally get off the front page.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby fairvis » Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:17 pm

A&M has written the Big XII the first "Dear John" letter, announcing that it's exploring other conference options. Starting to burn bridges, and the VaTech to SEC rumors are starting to heat up.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/f ... index.html
fairvis

Favorite Player: Braxton Miller
Least Favorite Player: Joakim Noah

Unread postby Triple-S » Sun Aug 28, 2011 12:02 am

So the question is...

does the B1G Ten go after Mizzou and possibly Pitt to round it out to 14 team?

Notre Dame is a pipe dream at this point, and Texas I actually see going Indy before they give up on the LHN and go join up with B1G.
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S

Unread postby furls » Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:33 am

I thinm ut would.rather be in a conference but i think that lhn may be an albatross at this point. No way the B1G goes.with Pitt. No value added from amedia.market stand
point. All those homes are already in the BTN footprint. Mizzou is a no brainer and i have to think they throw the UT hail mary. I Ccant really see UT avcepting though. I see UT in the P12 when all is said and done. Delaney willnot give UT the special treatment it feels.entitled to and Delaney will not risk the harmony of the league for them. Unless UT is willing to be on equal footing with Indiana then there is no shot that the Longhorns end up in The B1G.

Sorry about the weird looking post. Hurricane took my power and this was typed on my droid.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby Triple-S » Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:06 pm

You say that about Pitt with the fact that it adds nothing in terms of tv revenue and market, but the same could have been said about Nebraska earlier this year, and look what happened?

Pitt's got some tradition and history. and personally, I'd welcome it mainly for the ability to catch Boilermaker and Buckeye games on the cheap rather than pay 200 bucks a seat at the 'shoe.

I still feel Notre Dame is the real prize eyed by the Conference at this point though. But getting UT would definitly push it to being the most elite in all of the NCAA.

Triple-S

Unread postby fairvis » Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:27 am

A&M is out.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/sto ... conference

Welcome to the new Southwest Conference, with possible invites to SMU, Houston, and perhaps a TCU flip/flop from the Big East. (less likely, but what the hell?) Maybe they'll even change the name back. Either that, or the Big XII is all done.
fairvis

Favorite Player: Braxton Miller
Least Favorite Player: Joakim Noah

Unread postby JoJo White » Sat Sep 03, 2011 12:23 am

Oklahoma is now feeling its oats and the Big 12-2-1 is on its last legs (thank goodness).
The plot thickens to try to hold Big 12 together
Chip Brown
Orangebloods.com Columnist

Big 12 commissioner Dan Beebe convened a conference call late Friday afternoon with a handful of his conference's presidents to discuss the increasing possibility that Oklahoma wants to bolt the Big 12 for the Pac-12, multiple sources said.

Texas president Bill Powers, Oklahoma president David Boren and Texas A&M president R. Bowen Loftin were excluded from the call, sources said. But Beebe advised the other presidents in the Big 12 to "work on Texas" to get the Longhorns to stay in the Big 12, sources said.

It's Beebe's belief that if Texas refuses to go to the Pac-12 that Oklahoma would not get a bid from the Pac-12, sources said. But another source close to the situation said if Oklahoma and Oklahoma State indicated to the Pac-12 that they wanted to be a part of that league, they would be admitted.

Beebe released a statement to Orangebloods.com Friday night that said, "We continue to work hard for the long-term stability of the Big 12 Conference."

Boren dropped a bombshell on Friday when he said no one has been more active than the Sooners in surveying their options for the future and that OU would be no wallflower.

"At this point in time, I'll be very honest with you in saying I do not know with certainty, or perhaps even can't hazard a totally intelligent guess as to what our final decision will be," Boren told reporters. "But we are carefully looking over all the options. We are ? there's no school more active in the Big 12 more active than we are right now."

Sources said the Longhorns have been actively working to hold the Big 12 together. Texas athletic director DeLoss Dodds and OU athletic director Joe Castiglione are on the five-member Big 12 expansion committee charged with looking for new members to join the Big 12. But if Oklahoma bolts, Texas would consider the Big 12 dead and probably follow the Sooners to the Pac-12.

When I texted a key source close to Texas Friday night if the Longhorns were preparing to head to the Pac-12 with Oklahoma, Oklahoma State and Texas Tech, the source texted back, "Leaning that way." The source later said there was a "50 to 60 percent" chance those schools would end up in the Pac-12.

Any move by Texas to the Pac-12 would not be an easy one. First, there is the issue of the Longhorn Network. No schools in the Pac-12 are allowed to have their own network. Pac-12 commissioner Larry Scott has set up a series of regional networks that partner two schools together to share revenue from third-tier rights with each other and with the Pac-12.

So Texas' Longhorn Network, which launched on Aug. 26 and still can't even be seen by most of the Lone Star State, would likely have to be turned into one of the Pac-12's regional networks (and most likely partner with Texas Tech).

And that would mean Texas basically tearing up the 20-year, $300 million deal it just inked with ESPN and giving up its riches.

An industry source with direct knowledge of the Longhorn Network said turning LHN into a regional network in the Pac-12 would be "very difficult." When I asked if it was impossible, the source said, "After last year, I don't subscribe to that word anymore."

That source doubted Texas was going anywhere. That source also doubted that Oklahoma would go anywhere without Texas.

Sources said Texas officials told them last year the Longhorns were reluctant to go to the Pac-12 because they would lose a lot of the power they enjoy in the Big 12. The sources said Texas feared being out-voted and muscled in the Pac-12 by the power brokers in that conference ? the original Pac-8 (USC, UCLA, Cal, Stanford, Oregon, Oregon State, Washington and Washington State).

But Texas' move to the Pac-12 would also be difficult because of the legislative heat the Longhorns would likely face. Legislative sources said Friday night that part of the reason Texas A&M was allowed to withdraw from the Big 12 was because of assurances from the rest of the Big 12 that the league would survive.

Now that it appears the Big 12 is in serious jeopardy, lawmakers will not be so passive, sources said.

Two Big 12 sources said if Oklahoma and Texas are preparing to lead a charge to the Pac-12 there would almost certainly be a tortious interference lawsuit filed against the Southeastern Conference. That's if Texas A&M indeed submits its application for membership to the SEC next Tuesday or Wednesday as expected, according to sources.

"Texas A&M leaving has started this whole thing," one source said. "There is a big-time lawsuit here."

The potential of such legal action and the real possibility the Big 12 could collapse prompted another Big 12 source to wonder if the SEC would now hesitate to accept Texas A&M, considering the fallout that could befall the Big 12.

Messages left with officials from Texas, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State and Texas Tech as well as Pac-12 commissioner Larry Scott were not returned Friday night.

Stay tuned.
JoJo White

Unread postby furls » Sat Sep 03, 2011 1:49 pm

OU will end up in the P16, bank it. B12 is doomed.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby Triple-S » Sat Sep 03, 2011 2:12 pm

Texas may as well just go the Indy route.

LHN=Pandora's Box

Triple-S

Unread postby furls » Sat Sep 03, 2011 2:28 pm

Nah, UT to the P16 as well. The LHN will be quietly folded into a regional channel IAW P16 rules. Indy UT is bad for UT, they know it and that is why they are fighting to save the B12.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sat Sep 03, 2011 2:34 pm

I have a copy of the contract that the Texas Alumni Association is sending out to bar nationally re: hosting them and their treatment demands and the inclusion of tLHN, which is of course a bad attempt to force bars into demanding providers pick it up.

I'll happily email the contract (with certain parts blacked out) to anyone that asks, because it is HILARIOUS.

Furls is dead nuts on.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sat Sep 03, 2011 2:34 pm

PS: WAR TEXAS EXES
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby JoJo White » Sat Sep 03, 2011 4:28 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:I have a copy of the contract that the Texas Alumni Association is sending out to bar nationally re: hosting them and their treatment demands and the inclusion of tLHN, which is of course a bad attempt to force bars into demanding providers pick it up.

Even if the bars wanted to pick it up, most locales in the country won't carry the LHN. Shit - even Austin does not have any cable companies that have agreed to pick up the LHN. The only major cable provider that has thus far is Verizon FIOS and they are only available in certain parts of the metroplex (fortunately, I'm in one of those parts).

ESPN is charging, from what I've heard, an astronomical amount of money, like $0.40 per subscriber, to cable companies for the privilege of carrying the LHN. That's more than the NFL Network.

Most UT fans are pretty frustrated with the LHN right about now, especially since it will mean missing the Rice game and the game against Kansas on Oct 29. It's great that ESPN has agreed to give us $300 million, but it will suck beyond belief if it becomes an albatross that prevents UT from joining a real conference.
JoJo White

Unread postby JoJo White » Sat Sep 03, 2011 4:35 pm

furls wrote:OU will end up in the P16, bank it. B12 is doomed.

This weekend's saber-rattling by OU is the first we've heard from OU during this whole realignment mess. They want to remind the Big 12 and the rest of the conferences that they are a BSD too.

I also hypothesize that the public comments by Boren may be a thinly veiled attempt at fucking up Aggy-to-SEC. I don't know how the SEC feels about 16-team superconferences, but clearly if Aggy does end up in the SEC then UT & OU (who are joined at the hip; despite the rivalry, the admins of both schools know their fortunes are intertwined) would be free to head west, along with probably Ok State and Texas Tech. Baylor would sue the hell out of the SEC and it may all be a headache that the SEC would rather not deal with.

I would LMAO if the SEC presidents do indeed decide to not offer Aggy, leaving Aggy essentially without a conference. Or at the very least, if I'm SEC, I know that I've got Aggy by the balls (a position most Aggys enjoy) and I would demand certain concessions from Aggy or give Aggy a smaller piece of the revenue pie in exchange for the privilege of joining the SEC. The Aggys would have no choice but to accept whatever conditions the SEC places on their admission.

This whole thing has got to be similar to what the months leading up to World War I felt like.
JoJo White

Unread postby JoJo White » Sun Sep 04, 2011 3:27 pm

New article up on Orangebloods.com - I was wondering when the Lege was going to get involved. This is all about Baylor being left hung out to draw, by the way. I never thought a private institution would wield so much clout, but there it is.

Sources: Texas being told to slow things down
Chip Brown
Orangebloods.com Columnist

Legislators and statewide office holders have swung into high-pressure mode to get Texas president Bill Powers and athletic director DeLoss Dodds to slow down any decision that might involve the Longhorns joining the Pac-12, multiple sources said Sunday.

With reports surfacing that Oklahoma is all but ready to commit to the Pac-12, Texas lawmakers are so concerned about the Longhorns possibly following suit that a full-court press is being made to slow things down by elected officials and corporate CEOs with influence, sources said.

"We don't want any hasty decision being made that hasn't been well thought out," one lawmaker told Orangebloods.com on Sunday.

Sources said the reason lawmakers are hot is that they received assurances from the Big 12, including Powers, that the Big 12 would survive without Texas A&M.

And because of those assurances, lawmakers did not take an aggressive stand against Texas A&M withdrawing from the Big 12. But that may be changing.

Sources said members of the Legislature are or will be reaching out to Texas A&M president R. Bowen Loftin to tell him the Aggies may no longer have the blessing of lawmakers to leave the Big 12, especially if it looks like the Big 12 will collapse.

According to sources close to Texas A&M, there is expected to be more movement involving the Aggies and the Southeastern Conference Tuesday or Wednesday of this week.

Sources say statewide office holders such as lieutenant governor David Dewhurst and Texas House Speaker Joe Straus haven't been active on realignment up to this point but now are getting involved.

A source in the Big 12 says there is also an increasing likelihood of litigation against the Southeastern Conference as well as the Pac-12 if the Big 12 comes apart.

In other words, it's about to get messy.
JoJo White

Unread postby JoJo White » Sun Sep 04, 2011 3:40 pm

http://twitter.com/#!/chipbrownob

ChipBrownOB Chip Brown
Texas A&M will be hearing from legislators that Aggies' departure from the B12 no longer has their blessing, sources say.
3 minutes ago
JoJo White

Unread postby Triple-S » Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:28 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYP4E2okyuk&feature=related[/youtube]

Well, it's official A&M to the SEC, either WVU or Mizzou to the SEC

Time to swoop into take Pitt and Mizzou and corner Notre Dame to finally join.

Triple-S

Unread postby JoJo White » Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:00 pm

Not so fast.

Look at today's developments - basically, Baylor and other Big 12 schools are threatening to sue if Aggy leaves, and Aggy's offer was contingent on no other Big 12 school suing.

I LMAO at Baylor cockblocking Aggy's exit to the SEC. I do hope there is a tell-all book someday about this mess, as this epically mismanaged clusterfuck deserves one.

The texags.com football board is in full meltdown:

Thanks for nothing, SEC. Hmmm, how bout we get Tech and head West with OU and OkSt!

Lets tell SEC we are coming no matter what. SEC made promises to us. We can sue them for backing out. We had a verbal contract.....right? We can sue Baylor and the SEC and tu.

Or why not let it play out and not have to go to the hassle. We are the prize here, we should act as such.

There's also a thread over there encouraging Aggies to fire all Baylor grads and to ban businesses run by Baylor grads.

This is gold, Jerry. Gold.
JoJo White

Unread postby JoJo White » Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:14 pm

JoJo White

Unread postby JoJo White » Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:37 pm

Oh by the way, Baylor's president is Ken Starr.

Yes, that Ken Starr. I really don't see him backing down or Baylor going quietly into that good night.
JoJo White

Unread postby mattvan1 » Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:48 pm

JoJo White wrote:Oh by the way, Baylor's president is Ken Starr.

Yes, that Ken Starr. I really don't see him backing down or Baylor going quietly into that good night.

Is the death of the B12 being televised on The Longhorn Network?
I don't need to be patient, they're going to be shit forever.
- CDT, discussing my favorite NFL team
mattvan1

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:08 pm

mattvan1 wrote:
JoJo White wrote:Oh by the way, Baylor's president is Ken Starr.

Is the death of the B12 being televised on The Longhorn Network?

'Bonanza' marathon today. Nothing displaces that or all 9 subscribers flood the rotary phone in the Longhorn Network office.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:16 pm

Anyone who is in favor of these "Super Conferences" should be kicked in the teeth.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby JoJo White » Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:53 pm

The only downside of Aggy's misery today is that this may delay the folding of the abortion known as the Big 12 conference.

Now you got Aggy president Loftin saber-rattling because he knows he's fucked and has handled this very, very poorly.

Loftin: “It’s like a marriage; if it’s over, it’s over. We feel we’re being kept against our will, which we believe is very inappropriate.”

A&M is in "limbo-land" now and is considering it's options, Loftin said. Getting legal waivers from all nine schools is unlikely, he said.

Loftin: “It’s very disappointing. Who wants to be in a relationship that’s over and has no value for you?”
JoJo White

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:18 pm

Man this Loftin guy sounds like a real low-life piece of shit loser.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby JCoz » Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:54 pm

Have a hard time understanding any reason Baylor should be entitled to a major conference paycheck. I'm surprised that OU took this long to say anything.

I hope OU just decides its had enough and bails first. Let Baylor make fools of themselves suing everyone who got a better deal than being in the University of Texas conference. I dont see how this thing could get past last summer and this season.

This is a speed bump in the inevitable.
JCoz
Donnie, you're out of your element

Favorite Player: Competency
Least Favorite Player: Gene Smith

Unread postby pup » Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:44 pm

Was it A&M that esentially blocked Texas from the going from the French 12 to the Pansi 12?
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby JoJo White » Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:56 pm

JCoz wrote:Have a hard time understanding any reason Baylor should be entitled to a major conference paycheck.

The governor at the time of the SWC's demise was a Baylor grad and that's what got Baylor in BCS conference. There are still some very powerful Baylor Bears in Texas politics. That's pretty much the extent of it.

I hope OU just decides its had enough and bails first.

Texas and OU have been joined at the hip since this all started and OU, like every other top 10 program, eventually will want its own network, so I see OU and UT continuing to be partners in this whole escapade.

Speaking of the LHN, it doesn't matter if it's available to 9 viewers, 900,000, or 900 million - UT is still getting, minimum, $300 million from ESPN. For a primer on the LHN, the good people at Barking Carnival have put together a couple of excellent articles on the network and why soon every school will be copying Texas (we know OU and LSU are interested and Mizzou has started to do an internet thing with its athletic dept).

http://barkingcarnival.fantake.com/2011 ... otiations/

Let Baylor make fools of themselves suing everyone who got a better deal than being in the University of Texas conference. I dont see how this thing could get past last summer and this season.

I hope the next conference that UT is in is named the "Texas 12" to perpetuate the arrogance.
JoJo White

Unread postby gnati » Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:19 am

I hope the next conference that UT is in is named the "Texas 12" to perpetuate the arrogance.

Since every conference Texas has been in has imploded, I am kind of rooting for them to join the SEC...
gnati

Favorite Player: .
Least Favorite Player: .

Unread postby Bayou Tribe » Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:39 pm

This is getting a little ridiculous, especially when you consider it all for a school that's going to be middle of the pack in the SEC West at best. I could see if all of this was going to lead to Oklahoma or Florida State coming aboard, but fuck all of this effort for A&M. Let's just trade Arkansas for A&M and call it a day.

-- TIMMAH to CDT
Bayou Tribe

Unread postby gnati » Thu Sep 08, 2011 4:57 pm

Purple Book Cat is either the awesomest person ever or a complete douchebag fraud...

I report, you decide:

http://northwestern.rivals.com/showmsg. ... 01&style=2
gnati

Favorite Player: .
Least Favorite Player: .

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Thu Sep 08, 2011 5:27 pm

Marcus Hartman from OSU's Scout site did say today that he had been informed by someone in the know that Texas and the B1G are in talks.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby Spin » Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:05 pm

Rumor on the radio today is BYU has told Oklahoma if they stay with Texas in the Big 12, BYU would join.

That would fuck up the four superconferences, and screw up a possible playoff and championship game in Div I between the four conference champs...
Spin

Favorite Player: Jack N. Coke
Least Favorite Player: 72 hour work weeks

Unread postby furls » Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:19 pm

That poster on rivals Purple Book Cat was all over the Nebraska expansion well in advance of others. He has someone in the B1G offices, and he nailed the Nebraska story. I believe him, I do not necessarily think that UT or ND will end up in the B1G in the immediate future, but if he is saying that UT and the B1G and ND are talking I believe him.

His list of demands seems to check with what I would expect ND and UT to want as well. Face it, UT would be dumb to not consider the B1G, not saying the B1G is the best choice for UT, but if you were buying a luxury car and you were pretty sure you wanted a Mercedes, wouldn't you test drive BMW and Audi just to make sure?

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby Triple-S » Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:40 pm

hypothetical

You drag ND, Texas, Pitt and Mizzou in.

how much more are you making in terms of dividing up the pie in terms of TV revenue?

This is, of course all pending if Texas is willing to change it's LHN deal somehow, which atm is kind of an albatross around it's neck.

Triple-S

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:52 pm

No.

Keep Texas, Notre Dame, Pitt, and Missouri OUT of the Big 1G.

They can go fuck themselves.. in other conferences, or independently, whichever they prefer.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby Triple-S » Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:10 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:No.

Keep Texas, Notre Dame, Pitt, and Missouri OUT of the Big 1G.

They can go fuck themselves.. in other conferences, or independently, whichever they prefer.

Look, I'd like to go back to the ol' days of having Chicago U in the conference. But it ain't looking like that's where were going. We've been set on this collision course since the court ruled that UGA and Oklahoma could negotiate their own tv deals in the 80's.

Pandora's box is open.

Triple-S

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:25 pm

Pandora's box is open.

So you're Greek now?

Tell that bitch to close her box and go fuck herself.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby Triple-S » Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:28 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:
Pandora's box is open.

So you're Greek now?

Tell that bitch to close her box and go fuck herself.

holy fucking shit.. :lmfao:

Triple-S

Unread postby Triple-S » Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:31 pm

Southeastern Conference Commissioner Mike Slive said he remains hopeful Texas A&M will join the league by next season and that the SEC has started to look at schedules for next year involving 13 teams.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/sto ... s-join-sec

A person with knowledge of the situation says Texas and Oklahoma officials met over the weekend amid speculation that the Sooners are considering leaving the Big 12.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/sto ... s-join-sec

Triple-S

Unread postby Triple-S » Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:39 pm

Separately, the more familiar UT representatives, who have conducted conversations with the Big Ten in the past, reaffirmed the approach that Texas should not initiate the breakup of the Big XII conference in order to join the Big Ten for political considerations. These representatives once again stated to conference officials that membership in the Big Ten conference (in accord with the terms presented last week) remains Texas' preferred conference affiliation option. The Big Ten also strongly impressed upon this group of UT representatives the need for university representatives to conduct conversations with the conference in one unified voice

http://northwestern.rivals.com/showmsg. ... 01&style=2

Triple-S

PreviousNext

Return to College Sports Arena