Text Size

Cleveland Browns & The NFL

McCoy’s fresh start invigorates Cleveland

Talk Browns football and discuss the NFL here.

Moderators: peeker643, jb, swerb, pup

McCoy’s fresh start invigorates Cleveland

Unread postby ajunior148 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:48 am

ajunior148

Re: McCoy’s fresh start invigorates Cleveland

Unread postby scott » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:08 am

"When the season began, the other quarterbacks got the weekly game plan on Monday. McCoy didn’t see his until Wednesday. No explanation provided; it was as if he didn’t exist at all."

Hadn't heard this before. It explains a lot with regards to Holmgren-Mangini.
scott

Favorite Player: Sabby Piscitelli
Least Favorite Player: Everyone Else

Unread postby yogi » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:45 am

Thank goodness the previous HC & OC are gone. It seems like if the player wasnt HC picked and/or approved, he wasnt going to get any support or a fair shot.

The handling of Colt, Quinn & Mitchell really speak volumes of the FO & HC being on the same page.
It's Been Done Before
yogi
Jersey Accent

Unread postby SoulDawg74 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:16 am

SD:

Proof positive , that mangy effin cockroach was a moron and a plaque .

Until this article we could only suspect his flaws , now we have proof positive for that bastards most ardent supporters , that he was a full flaming incompetent Jackass , as if we needed anymore proof , after the worst draft in Browns history
and screwing over his own hand picked front office puppet to say nothing of turning the Browns into benny and the Jets .

SoulDawg
SoulDawg74

Unread postby pup » Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:53 pm

Hey SD. Maybe Mangini just agrees with you. Why waste time working with Colt since he will never be good enough to win a ring?
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby ajunior148 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:20 pm

pup wrote:Hey SD. Maybe Mangini just agrees with you. Why waste time working with Colt since he will never be good enough to win a ring?

Obviously not SD, but I'll answer this.

I understand that as a 3rd string QB at the beginning of the season he was not going to be Mangini's focus. The guy was trying to win, and developing a 3rd stringer was not a priority. But what is this about:

When the season began, the other quarterbacks got the weekly game plan on Monday. McCoy didn’t see his until Wednesday. No explanation provided; it was as if he didn’t exist at all.

And this:

And it’s far different for McCoy than last summer when communication was sometimes non-existent with his coaches. For instance, he says he didn’t learn he was going to start the team’s final exhibition game in 2010 until about five minutes before the contest started. A coach looked at him and said: “You’re starting,” then McCoy raced into a huddle with players he barely knew.

“There had been no reps [in practice], nothing,” McCoy said.

It just does not seem to be the way to handle your own players.

I know many in here were big Mangini supporters, but is anyone surpised to read about this?
ajunior148

Unread postby yogi » Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:36 pm

I know many in here were big Mangini supporters, but is anyone surpised to read about this?

I am. I didnt think Mangini was that f-ing stupid.
It's Been Done Before
yogi
Jersey Accent

Unread postby pup » Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:37 pm

Not at all.

You want to have time to prepare, go be a lawyer. You are going to be the back up QB for a football team. You have to be ready to go in on the next play. Actually sounds like a decent idea. If he wasn't ready to play...why was he there?

Sounds to me like the coach was trying to see what Colt was made of.

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Unread postby ajunior148 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:45 pm

pup wrote:Not at all.

You want to have time to prepare, go be a lawyer. You are going to be the back up QB for a football team. You have to be ready to go in on the next play. Actually sounds like a decent idea. If he wasn't ready to play...why was he there?

Christ Pup, take a step back and read this again and comprehend what you are saying here.

Could you imagine Shurmur doing this last year to "see what Bradford is made of".

::doh::
ajunior148

Unread postby SoulDawg74 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:35 pm

pup wrote:Hey SD. Maybe Mangini just agrees with you. Why waste time working with Colt since he will never be good enough to win a ring?

SD:

Hey pup , if Colt was a total waste of paper then don't give him the game plan at all , but to exclude a player any player from timely info especially a QB , because your acting like a petulant Bitch ass chlld because somebody went over your head and added him to your roster , is an unpardonable waste of resources , and about as ignorant and low class a move as you could pull on anybody , especially a QB.

SoulDawg
SoulDawg74

Unread postby SoulDawg74 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:43 pm

SoulDawg74 wrote:

SD:

Hey pup , if Colt was a total waste of paper then don't give him the game plan at all , but to exclude a player any player from timely info especially a QB , because your acting like a petulant Bitch ass chlld because somebody went over your head and added him to your roster , is an unpardonable waste of resources , and about as ignorant and low class a move as you could pull on anybody , especially a QB.

SoulDawg

and another Thang .

I never used the word never on Colt as I rarely use the word ever because its an absolute and fits in small places.

I said Colts arm and durability scares me , and his showing in the last three games erased all the good he did prior , his balls both fluttered in the cold lacked the correct velocity and his misses were attributed to the receivers when he was grossly underthrowing the ball , as his passes died like quails and wre pushed back by the wind .

Which prompted my suggestion to hedge our bets and go for Newton in which I caught much grief for on this forum , and upgrade the position this year rather than assume we could simply throw our hats in the Luck Barkley derby and come away cash in fist.

SoulDawg
SoulDawg74

Unread postby pup » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:13 pm

ajunior148 wrote:

Christ Pup, take a step back and read this again and comprehend what you are saying here.

Could you imagine Shurmur doing this last year to "see what Bradford is made of".

Could you imagine Sam Bradford being the #3 QB behind Jake Delhome and Seneca Wallace? Little different.

Would it shock you to find out Parcells did it to Romo? Or Belicheck to Brady?

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Unread postby SoulDawg74 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:40 am

pup wrote:
ajunior148 wrote:

Could you imagine Sam Bradford being the #3 QB behind Jake Delhome and Seneca Wallace? Little different.

Would it shock you to find out Parcells did it to Romo? Or Belicheck to Brady?

SD:

Its a well known fact coaches with absolute power will dick around a guy they don't like , Shanny and Haynesworth was exhibit #1 .

Butt Mangy was on probation, having been called to dean Wormers office before the start of the offseason .

So to deliberately impede the growth and development of the presidents personal little pet in a systematic screwing that left your fingerprints all over the handi work when you know his progress was going to be monitored to the extent of checking him out personally .

Well I ask ya was that smart or so fuckin dumb it defies description.

SoulDawg
SoulDawg74

Unread postby pup » Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:02 am

I will say this. Manigni's carcass was rotting throughout 2010. And no coddling/babysitting of the boss's pet project was going to change that. He was a dead man walking. And he knew it.

Anything short of winning big was going to get him fired. And winning might not have even mattered since it sure appears Holmgren already had his successor picked. His Shurmur crush is almost as big as his Little Engine That Could crush. And Colt was not coming in and taking this team to 10 wins.

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Unread postby SoulDawg74 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:38 am

pup wrote:I will say this. Manigni's carcass was rotting throughout 2010. And no coddling/babysitting of the boss's pet project was going to change that. He was a dead man walking. And he knew it.

Anything short of winning big was going to get him fired. And winning might not have even mattered since it sure appears Holmgren already had his successor picked. His Shurmur crush is almost as big as his Little Engine That Could crush. And Colt was not coming in and taking this team to 10 wins.

SD:

Holmgren was never going another year with Mangy , and kept him solely for the purpose to upgrade the roster with transistional 43 talent while evaluating the balance of the roster revamping the scouting department and organziing footnalls most screwed up front offices this side of the Bungles.

All that poppycock about what Mangy deserves was shit , I said it then and agree with yu now.

But .............................

No coach in his right mind who ever wants to persue a HC position again or be considered as front office material wants it to get out he can't handle QB's , the teams most valuable most high profile position.

What you do on your last gig is your resume for your next ,its one thing for people to cast aspersions on your rep , because you got fired for a reason and those things are murky excuse you can claim as a yeam simply wanting to go in another direction , quite another however when you furnish the documentation to such short sighted glaring incompetence .

No team could reasonably ever consider your stoopid ass with a reputation swirling around shortcomings in
handling identifying and developing QB talent .

What that Jackass did was an unpardonable disgrace to himself and all the coaches around him , let alone a disservice to the team and those who paid his salary and the men he coached .

What he did was so blatantly stoopid he makes the Monks who emulated themselves with gasoline look smart.

SoulDawg
SoulDawg74

Unread postby hiko » Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:30 am

And it’s far different for McCoy than last summer when communication was sometimes non-existent with his coaches. For instance, he says he didn’t learn he was going to start the team’s final exhibition game in 2010 until about five minutes before the contest started. A coach looked at him and said: “You’re starting,” then McCoy raced into a huddle with players he barely knew.

“There had been no reps [in practice], nothing,” McCoy said.

In defense of Mangini, lots of coaches do this. Backup QB's have to be ready to go in at a moment's notice. Not a big deal, to me at least.

I won't defend Mangini when it comes to not talking to Colt and not giving him the playbook and generally acting like my high school girlfriend after I dumped her b/c he had Colt "forced" on him or whatever. I think there was a slight possibility that Mangini could've made it here, but he repeatedly showed that his ego wouldn't allow that to be possible.

It truly was a wasted year not firing him off the bat.
hiko

Favorite Player: Gray
Least Favorite Player: Black and White

Unread postby pup » Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:00 am

SoulDawg74 wrote:But .............................

No coach in his right mind who ever wants to persue a HC position again or be considered as front office material wants it to get out he can't handle QB's , the teams most valuable most high profile position.

What you do on your last gig is your resume for your next ,its one thing for people to cast aspersions on your rep , because you got fired for a reason and those things are murky excuse you can claim as a yeam simply wanting to go in another direction , quite another however when you furnish the documentation to such short sighted glaring incompetence .

No team could reasonably ever consider your stoopid ass with a reputation swirling around shortcomings in
handling identifying and developing QB talent .

What that Jackass did was an unpardonable disgrace to himself and all the coaches around him , let alone a disservice to the team and those who paid his salary and the men he coached .

What he did was so blatantly stoopid he makes the Monks who emulated themselves with gasoline look smart.

SoulDawg

Unless of course he is correct, and McCoy = Quinn = Couch.

Then he evaluated the talent properly and saved time by not giving him the playbook.

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Unread postby hiko » Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:14 am

pup wrote:Unless of course he is correct, and McCoy = Quinn = Couch.

Then he evaluated the talent properly and saved time by not giving him the playbook.

Does that mean he also kept the playbook from David Veikune?
hiko

Unread postby motherscratcher » Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:19 am

pup wrote:
Unless of course he is correct, and McCoy = Quinn = Couch.

Would it have taken up a lot of his time to hand the guy a playbook?
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby JCoz » Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:40 am

Because its Mangini who stands over the copy machine printing it out?

Please. I was a Mangini supporter for some time, that being said, not giving the kid a playbook? Uh, wft?

Doesn't make a bit of difference if Colt = Quinn = Couch. The team invested resources in him by using a 3rd round draft pick.

I seriously have no clue why you are choosing to back that, particularly by saying the reason was that he evaluated that Holmgren knew dick about QBs and he could tell Colt was worthless so he saved everyone the time and effort that may have been wasted by shunning him from the start.

That, pup, is an utterly laughable explanation.
JCoz
Donnie, you're out of your element

Favorite Player: Competency
Least Favorite Player: Gene Smith

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:50 am

My only thing re: this article is it seems far more like a painted slam piece that the Cleveland press perfected during the entire Mangini era than an actual piece of researched reporting.

Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't offenses not installed until later in the week? Do we have any clue if McCoy was being given the Scout team playbook first as the 3QB and then still given the actual playbook before the weeks offense was installed? I'm almost positive I have read that Thursday is the big installation day in a typical NFL week.

This reads more like a whole lot of stomping on the corpse of Mangini than actual research.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby pup » Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:58 pm

JCoz wrote:

Please. I was a Mangini supporter for some time, that being said, not giving the kid a playbook? Uh, wft?

Doesn't make a bit of difference if Colt = Quinn = Couch. The team invested resources in him by using a 3rd round draft pick.

I seriously have no clue why you are choosing to back that, particularly by saying the reason was that he evaluated that Holmgren knew dick about QBs and he could tell Colt was worthless so he saved everyone the time and effort that may have been wasted by shunning him from the start.

Shit happens behind the scenes none of us now about. Why would Mangini do this? Was it his way of saying FU to Holmgren? Why wouldn't McCoy say something to someone about if it was that big of a deal? You think he spent all season not getting the playbook until after it was too late? And never said a word to the front office? If he did and they didn't do anything?

This is nothing more than a Cowboy's coach not letting rookies put the star on their helmet until they earn it. To us, it is either juvenile or stupid or petty or whatever term you want to use. To an NFL Head Coach, it is a part of a process.

The rest of that take was the hindsight angle of Mangini being able to get another job. Not a reason for him doing it. Is someone going to hold it against him that he didn't give some 3rd string, 3rd round QB a playbook early enough in the week, especially if that QB proves to be nothing special? No way.

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Unread postby hiko » Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:08 pm

pup wrote:The rest of that take was the hindsight angle of Mangini being able to get another job. Not a reason for him doing it. Is someone going to hold it against him that he didn't give some 3rd string, 3rd round QB a playbook early enough in the week, especially if that QB proves to be nothing special? No way.

Certainly not. His attitude towards one (or several) of his players won't affect his ability to get another NFL head coaching job - his track record of failure will.
hiko

Unread postby JCoz » Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:22 pm

pup wrote:
JCoz wrote:

Shit happens behind the scenes none of us now about. Why would Mangini do this? Was it his way of saying FU to Holmgren? Why wouldn't McCoy say something to someone about if it was that big of a deal? You think he spent all season not getting the playbook until after it was too late? And never said a word to the front office? If he did and they didn't do anything?

This is nothing more than a Cowboy's coach not letting rookies put the star on their helmet until they earn it. To us, it is either juvenile or stupid or petty or whatever term you want to use. To an NFL Head Coach, it is a part of a process.

The rest of that take was the hindsight angle of Mangini being able to get another job. Not a reason for him doing it. Is someone going to hold it against him that he didn't give some 3rd string, 3rd round QB a playbook early enough in the week, especially if that QB proves to be nothing special? No way.

IMO, absolutely none of what you just said there matches or has anything to do with the quote I responded to.

Not that it matters at all. Mangini is not the coach of the Browns.
JCoz

Unread postby HoodooMan » Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:25 pm

hiko wrote:It truly was a wasted year not firing him off the bat.

How many of the players we took in the 2010 draft are going to be hurt by the transition to the 4-3 defense & WCO?

(I think it was truly wise of them to buy themselves an extra building year.)
Q: What is the best/craziest location you've ever gotten lucky A: Mens room. Death Valley. (Fire Marshall Bill, 08/13/10)

...doesn't mean we cannot call you a spade when you are one. (donnyunitas, 10/21/09)

Plus it's kinda personal for me... I have a lot of family and friends who are Ducks... (angrybeaver, 11/08/09)
HoodooMan
The King

Favorite Player: Big_Lu
Least Favorite Player: Foldtop Sandwich Bag

Unread postby pup » Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:44 pm

JCoz wrote:
pup wrote:
JCoz wrote:

IMO, absolutely none of what you just said there matches or has anything to do with the quote I responded to.

Not that it matters at all. Mangini is not the coach of the Browns.

And the quote you quoted was in reply to another person.

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Unread postby JCoz » Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:58 pm

In response to past performance indicating future success.

And putting your response into that context doesn't change how ridiculous the comment was, nor does it tie back into what you said in response to my comment.

Because what you said was that if Colt turns out to be a shitty Quarterback, then he will be proven to be right by going green and not wasting the paper on a worthless rookie his upper management chose and he didn't want......

Yeah, pup, that sure would vindicate him if Colt was out of a job in a year or two.

Because thats what every Team President and GM is looking to hire, a HC with a career losing record and a penchant for wiping his ass with the opinions of his upper management.
JCoz

Unread postby hiko » Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:13 pm

HoodooMan wrote:
hiko wrote:It truly was a wasted year not firing him off the bat.

How many of the players we took in the 2010 draft are going to be hurt by the transition to the 4-3 defense & WCO?

(I think it was truly wise of them to buy themselves an extra building year.)

If we're looking purely at 2010 draftees, then the answer is Colt McCoy. I'm not sure how it wouldn't be better for him to be going into the 2nd year of the system rather than having 2 weeks to learn the system.

If we're looking at the team as a whole, then the answer is Mo Mass, Brian Robiskie, Peyton Hillis, Josh Cribbs, Marcus Benard, and maybe Ahtyba Rubin.

It's not like I'm all hacked off about giving Mangini the shot. I just feel like that relationship had less chance than even my first marriage, and football-philosophically speaking, it was a waste.
hiko

Unread postby HoodooMan » Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:07 pm

hiko wrote:If we're looking purely at 2010 draftees, then the answer is Colt McCoy. I'm not sure how it wouldn't be better for him to be going into the 2nd year of the system rather than having 2 weeks to learn the system.

I get where you're going, but that's not what I meant.

Everyone we drafted in 2010 fits what we're doing right now, which I believe is less than a coincidence. In Colt's case, he fits what we're doing right now better than he fit what we were doing in 2010.

Holmgren & Heckert were able to get in a solid foundation-building draft before the clock even started on their regime. That wasn't a waste. It bought them some much needed time.
Q: What is the best/craziest location you've ever gotten lucky A: Mens room. Death Valley. (Fire Marshall Bill, 08/13/10)

...doesn't mean we cannot call you a spade when you are one. (donnyunitas, 10/21/09)

Plus it's kinda personal for me... I have a lot of family and friends who are Ducks... (angrybeaver, 11/08/09)
HoodooMan
The King

Favorite Player: Big_Lu
Least Favorite Player: Foldtop Sandwich Bag

Unread postby hiko » Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:39 pm

HoodooMan wrote:
hiko wrote:If we're looking purely at 2010 draftees, then the answer is Colt McCoy. I'm not sure how it wouldn't be better for him to be going into the 2nd year of the system rather than having 2 weeks to learn the system.

I get where you're going, but that's not what I meant.

Everyone we drafted in 2010 fits what we're doing right now, which I believe is less than a coincidence. In Colt's case, he fits what we're doing right now better than he fit what we were doing in 2010.

Holmgren & Heckert were able to get in a solid foundation-building draft before the clock even started on their regime. That wasn't a waste. It bought them some much needed time.

Ah, yes, from that angle, I agree. So if you were indicating that 2010 wasn't wasted personnel-acquisition-wise, I would say you were correct. I would guess that Heckgren wasn't so sold on Mangini long-term that they acquired guys that fit his system better than WCO/4-3.
hiko

Unread postby SoulDawg74 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:59 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:My only thing re: this article is it seems far more like a painted slam piece that the Cleveland press perfected during the entire Mangini era than an actual piece of researched reporting.

Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't offenses not installed until later in the week? Do we have any clue if McCoy was being given the Scout team playbook first as the 3QB and then still given the actual playbook before the weeks offense was installed? I'm almost positive I have read that Thursday is the big installation day in a typical NFL week.

This reads more like a whole lot of stomping on the corpse of Mangini than actual research.

SD:

Offenses are installed on Wed. so consider yourself corrected.

SoulDawg
SoulDawg74

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:03 pm

So Colt had a playbook for installation and we have no idea if he was asked to focus on Scout team shit before that? Right?
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby SoulDawg74 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:51 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:So Colt had a playbook for installation and we have no idea if he was asked to focus on Scout team shit before that? Right?

SD:

Where ya get we Kimosabee.

Colt was told minutes before a game he was going to play , while he was deliberately withheld from reps in practice before i a game in which Mangy knew in advance he was going to play him .

Dumbass did his best to make Holmgrens Pet Monkey look like a mistake and he burned the stoopid fuck going 13 for 13.

Scout team reps are done in addition to studying the game plan for the benefit of the defense , not as a substitution, for keeping abreast of your own offense .

Your expected to work double , as you get your work on the scout team and your study work is the game plan.

In preseason however , when you get a scheduled start or are sheduled for play , its customary you get work in practice on the plays you'll execute in the game .

To construe these adverse actions employed by Mangy as anything less than a deliberate fuck job is laughable .

SoulDawg
SoulDawg74

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:17 am

So you are ducking my point crack addled old fuck?

You are correct that Mangini didn't eat his dick and bow to Holmgren's boy (a guy Heckert didn't even want to pick, if you recall). He fucked up there, but to pretend that what he did and the sudden preseason start where guys were questionable health wise is a big deal is a joke, just like this article.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:18 am

PS: I've played on real Scout teams, have you?
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby ajunior148 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:47 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:He fucked up there, but to pretend that what he did and the sudden preseason start where guys were questionable health wise is a big deal is a joke, just like this article.

I can understand the last minute decision to start a preseason game, assuming it was a last minute decision.

I don't understand McCoy not getting the same materials as the other two QB's on Monday. Even with him running the scout team.

Why wouldn't you want your backups to prepare for a game like they were starting? That's not rhetorical, maybe there is a reason for it.

Every coach says that backups need to prepare as if they were starting. Seems like they should get the same info on Monday as the starters then.
ajunior148

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:58 pm

My only thing here is, we just don't know.

And again, he got the playbook before the offense was installed.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby ajunior148 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:24 pm

Fair enough. The guy is gone so there's no point anyway.
ajunior148

Unread postby ajunior148 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:28 pm

Another Coly didn't like the coaches last season article:

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-farmer-colt-mccoy-20110812,0,436920.column
ajunior148

Unread postby SoulDawg74 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:14 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:PS: I've played on real Scout teams, have you?

SD:

Mascots don't count ,.....unless you want to parade your leotards as a badge of honor :)

Anyway , even if your the lowest douche on the totem pole something you can probably really attest too , , you will still get the same info to compete,

No you won't get the same coaching as the starters or reps , but you will be shown the same play book and game plan at the same time as the starters and earlier than the rest of the team if your on the QB unit even if the coach hates your guts just as standard operating procedure.

To weakly defend the Mangy process for a deliberate Fuck job is atypical of the depths you'd stoop not to come correct.

If you don't recognize this move by Mangy as a complete douche bag fuck job , then your moron factor is way higher than I 'm already accrediting you for.

SoulDawg
SoulDawg74

Unread postby hiko » Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:54 pm

ajunior148 wrote:Another Coly didn't like the coaches last season article:

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-farmer-colt-mccoy-20110812,0,436920.column

From this article:

McCoy said many of his teammates barely knew who he was at that point "other than the guy who stood on the sideline and got yelled at for just standing there."

Even now, the residue from that experience lingers. He said he quietly cringes like a scalded dog when he makes a mistake in practice, waiting for the hellfire of criticism to come.

"One of the things out here is when I make a mistake, I get so fearful to do anything because I'm afraid of what's going to happen," he said. "If I throw a ball and try to squeeze one in, I'm like [wincing], 'Uh.' I'm hesitant to just turn around. That's not how it should be. If you start playing scared, you can't play."

Colt, now is the time on Sprockets when we STFU.

Sure, Mangini was a doosh for pouting b/c he didn't get his way in the draft room. But he's gone, and we all just need to move on. Especially you, Colt. No more whiny "I'm psychologically-scarred" bullshit from you. Silencio on this matter forevermore.

And the writer sure didn't help him... "cringes like a scalded dog" (maybe he should've used the word "scolded", a "scalded" dog might be more "yelping" than "cringing").

I'd love to see today's NFL player thrown back in time to a 1960's team and see what would happen.
hiko

Unread postby yogi » Fri Aug 12, 2011 4:47 pm

I can tell you how Lombardi handled Starr.

At the beginning of Lombardi's HC gig, the first few paractices when Starr would make a mistake, Vince would scream and yell at him, just like any other football player that just screwed up.

One day after practice, Starr walked in Lombardi's office for a closed door meeting. He said, "Coach, you want me to lead this team, you cant undermine me in front of them. If I screw up, I'll take whatever heat you want to lay on me in private".

Starr said from that day on, Lombardi never raised his voice at Bart in front of the team. He became and was the leader of yhose great Packer teams.
It's Been Done Before
yogi
Jersey Accent

Unread postby hiko » Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:18 pm

yogi wrote:I can tell you how Lombardi handled Starr.

At the beginning of Lombardi's HC gig, the first few paractices when Starr would make a mistake, Vince would scream and yell at him, just like any other football player that just screwed up.

One day after practice, Starr walked in Lombardi's office for a closed door meeting. He said, "Coach, you want me to lead this team, you cant undermine me in front of them. If I screw up, I'll take whatever heat you want to lay on me in private".

Starr said from that day on, Lombardi never raised his voice at Bart in front of the team. He became and was the leader of yhose great Packer teams.

But I doubt that's the way Parcells handled Simms.
hiko

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:27 pm

1) SD, you are stoopid and have no idea how a Scout team works (and I don't even know if that was his task, none of us do, so fuck it)

2) Colt's dripping vag is getting pretty out of hand. Two articles crying about how he was treated last year? Where their excerpts in his shit stain book about this? I mean, this is football and different coaches have different philosophies. Seen it all in my years and if Colt were my QB and crying like a bitch like that I'd have had a hard time respecting him (especially after said book).
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby SoulDawg74 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:05 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:1) SD, you are stoopid and have no idea how a Scout team works (and I don't even know if that was his task, none of us do, so fuck it)

2) Colt's dripping vag is getting pretty out of hand. Two articles crying about how he was treated last year? Where their excerpts in his shit stain book about this? I mean, this is football and different coaches have different philosophies. Seen it all in my years and if Colt were my QB and crying like a bitch like that I'd have had a hard time respecting him (especially after said book).

SD:

Right only you know how a scout team works because you played on one , never mind what I know about how scout teams are run thru the fifty years I 've been following the sport ...check .

Your so smaaat like Fredo .....

Colts vagina being what it is , still doesn't make Mangy any less of a Douche .....

and I know you know what that is , and I have no problem conceding your expertise there as the perfect example.

BTW

:tool: .......................still

:fu: :fu: :fu: :fu: :fu: :fu: :fu: :fu:

SoulDawg
SoulDawg74

Unread postby mattvan1 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:13 pm

I just can't figure this out.

LeCharles Bentley is a pussy traitor for being one day or so away from being an amputee, but Colt McCoy gets a bit of sand in his va-jay-jay over what day of the week he got the playbook and all hell breaks loose defending the guy.

These boards are strange.
I don't need to be patient, they're going to be shit forever.
- CDT, discussing my favorite NFL team
mattvan1

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:25 pm

It's simple matt, depends on what Front Office wagon you are on.

Everyone was in love w/ Savage for a couple years there.

Now everyone is burning the corpse of Mangini's ashes while pissing on them and then lighting them on fire again to get hope for Heckert.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby mattvan1 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:36 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:It's simple matt, depends on what Front Office wagon you are on.

Everyone was in love w/ Savage for a couple years there.

Now everyone is burning the corpse of Mangini's ashes while pissing on them and then lighting them on fire again to get hope for Heckert.

True enough. Don't forget about Grimace, too. Man had mad rings.
I don't need to be patient, they're going to be shit forever.
- CDT, discussing my favorite NFL team
mattvan1

Unread postby hiko » Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:52 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:2) Colt's dripping vag is getting pretty out of hand. Two articles crying about how he was treated last year? Where their excerpts in his shit stain book about this? I mean, this is football and different coaches have different philosophies. Seen it all in my years and if Colt were my QB and crying like a bitch like that I'd have had a hard time respecting him (especially after said book).

Christ, I hate to say that I agree, but if Colt actually said this shit then he needs to be duct taped to a goalpost by his balls until they solidify.
hiko

Unread postby yogi » Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:56 am

hiko wrote:
yogi wrote:I can tell you how Lombardi handled Starr.

But I doubt that's the way Parcells handled Simms.

Hey, you said 60's and I gave you how the best HC of the era handled his QB.

If you wanted a late 70's, 80's example, how about Bill Walsh. When he drafted his under-sized and barely average arm stregth QB in the 3rd round, he always put his young QB in situations where he had a good chance to suceed. Success according to Walsh would build the kid's confidence and the team's confidence in the kid QB. I'm sure you know that QB was Joe Montana.

Slightly different philosophy that Walsh had than Parcells.

Of course our HMFIC came from the Walsh tree so.....
It's Been Done Before
yogi
Jersey Accent

Next

Return to Cleveland Browns & The NFL