Text Size

Cleveland Indians & MLB

Choo activated, Kearns DFA'd

Talk Tribe, talk baseball in this forum.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, paulcousineau

Choo activated, Kearns DFA'd

Unread postby gotribe31 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:27 am

Per Bastian, Castro etc. The evil is finally gone.

Choo coming back now is even bigger with Brantley's wrist. Guessing Fuko slides over to CF when Zeke isn't in the lineup.
You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves
-----Abe Lincoln

Let me tell you, if any of you douchebag empty headed stuffed suit nanny politicians tries to fuck with my bacon, I’m going after you like a crazed chimpanzee on bath salts.
-----Lars
gotribe31

Favorite Player: Francisco Lindor
Least Favorite Player: Michigan

Re: Choo activated, Kearns DFA'd

Unread postby peeker643 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:42 am

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE August 12, 2011

INDIANS ACTIVATE OF SHIN-SOO CHOO
FROM THE 15-DAY DL

CLEVELAND, OH – The Cleveland Indians today announced the club has activated OF SHIN-SOO CHOO from the 15-day Disabled List. To allow room on the 25-man roster for Choo the Indians designated OF AUSTIN KEARNS for assignment.

Choo has been on the disabled list since June 25 after suffering a fractured left thumb after being hit by a pitch the night before at San Francisco. He underwent surgery on the thumb on June 28 in Cleveland by Dr. Thomas Graham. So far in 2011 Choo is hitting .244 (65-266) with 10 doubles, 2 triples, 5 homers, 28 RBI and 11 steals in 72 games. Over his last 9 games prior to the injury he was hitting at a .357 (10-28) clip. He played in 3 games at Lake County (2 officially w/a rain out) beginning on Monday, August 8.

Kearns hit .200 (30-150) in 57 games for the Indians this year after signing a one-year free agent contract with the club in the off-season.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby skatingtripods » Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:43 am

Let's see if it's a shot in the arm for them. He's going to have to start all over again at this level, though. We can't expect much for the next couple weeks.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby Gradysmanldy » Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:46 am

Even with Brantley's wrist, im surprised they didnt let him get his timing back in AA/AAA before rushing him back to the bigs. I don't think he's had a hit yet in his rehab stint....
Check me out at Dawgsbynature, where I write stuff, or @twitter as Josh Finney.
Gradysmanldy

Favorite Player: Melts Parmageddon
Least Favorite Player: The East Coast media

Unread postby British_Pharaoh » Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:46 am

Indians activated OF Shin-Soo Choo from the 15-day disabled list.
Choo wasn't expected back until next week, but his thumb must have looked ready during his minor league rehabilitation stint. His bat did not, however, as he went 0-for-6 with two strikeouts for High-A Lake County. Regardless, with the American League Central hanging in the balance, it would make little sense for the Indians to leave their star outfielder down on the farm if his thumb is ready to go. Originally expected to miss 8-to-10 weeks, he's returning in little more than six. He should be in the lineup this evening against the Twins.

Rotoworld

Yeah forget my Reed Johnson idea I guess. Unless we acquire him and option Carrera.
But I doubt Johnson falls to us anyway.
"There is but one thing of real value: to cultivate truth and justice and to live without anger in the midst of lying and unjust men"

-Marcus Aurelius
British_Pharaoh
Tony Sipp IS HERE!

Favorite Player: Michael Brantley
Least Favorite Player: Alexei Ramirez

Unread postby RedDawg53 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:48 am

Bye Kearns. Don't let the door hit ya where the good Lord split ya. :fu:

Welcome back Choo
RedDawg53
Witness The Kipnis

Favorite Player: Nick Swisher
Least Favorite Player: NYY

Unread postby WiscTribeFan » Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:23 am

Let's keep in mind that he wasn't hitting all that well when he left, and went 0-6 in two rehab games. Let's not expect miracles right off....
Don't go away mad, just go away.
WiscTribeFan
Mook

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:14 pm

skatingtripods wrote:Let's see if it's a shot in the arm for them. He's going to have to start all over again at this level, though. We can't expect much for the next couple weeks.

Only 2 weeks? Sweet, I expect the same nothing he gave us prior to the injury. So I can only be pleasantly surprised.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby Kingpin74 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:10 pm

We have to get rid of someone else when Huff comes up Sunday, right? Would that be Duncan? He makes the most sense but I think we could use that bat over the next ten days.

I'd rather DFA Hannahan personally. His D is valuable but I think he'd make it through waivers and be back September 1 (just like Kearns probably will too).
"Well then I guess there's only one thing left to do...win the whole, f***in', thing."- Jake Taylor
Kingpin74

Favorite Player: Mario Lemieux
Least Favorite Player: Dwight Howard

Unread postby skatingtripods » Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:47 pm

Kingpin74 wrote:I'd rather DFA Hannahan personally. His D is valuable but I think he'd make it through waivers and be back September 1 (just like Kearns probably will too).

I'd bet a fair amount of money that a NL contender snags Hannahan in an instant. With double switching, he's a huge asset who may not even have to bat at all.

I'd send down Carrera. Duncan's too valuable as a RH PH bat and a great clubhouse guy. Carrera's a pinch runner. For every good catch he makes, he runs a bad route. Plus, Carrera could help Columbus for a little bit.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby Dnthateonthepronk » Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:53 pm

I would DFA Duncan ahead of Hannahan.

As stated above Hannahan is more valuable
Alex White: Just like School on Sunday......No Class.
Dnthateonthepronk

Favorite Player: Dan Marino
Least Favorite Player: Alex Rodriguez

Unread postby skatingtripods » Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:14 pm

Dnthateonthepronk wrote:I would DFA Duncan ahead of Hannahan.

There's something to be said about Duncan's impact on the clubhouse. And as a player who never has to be a focal point on the field, he's valuable. He's passionate, high energy, and valuable as a RH PH bat.

Carrera should go down.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby peeker643 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:20 pm

skatingtripods wrote:

There's something to be said about Duncan's impact on the clubhouse. And as a player who never has to be a focal point on the field, he's valuable. He's passionate, high energy, and valuable as a RH PH bat.

Carrera should go down.

It's obvious but it really all depends on Brantley's wrist. If Brantley's okay and 100% (or close) it'll be Carrera and rightly so.

If there's any question on Brantley then I think Duncan goes back. If for no other reason than that's what's happened all year whenever a move was necessary.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby skatingtripods » Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:23 pm

peeker643 wrote:It's obvious but it really all depends on Brantley's wrist. If Brantley's okay and 100% (or close) it'll be Carrera and rightly so.

If there's any question on Brantley then I think Duncan goes back. If for no other reason than that's what's happened all year whenever a move was necessary.

It seems to me that it's a surgical issue for Brantley. Either he's going to sack up and play through it or have to have surgery. It's not like a wrist will get magically better with a few days off. Not with swinging a bat for a living.

Getting a day off here and then isn't going to help, I wouldn't think. First swing he takes will just screw it up again.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby tecs » Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:24 pm

WiscTribeFan wrote:Let's keep in mind that he wasn't hitting all that well when he left, and went 0-6 in two rehab games. Let's not expect miracles right off....

Choo had gone 10-30 in the 9 games prior to getting beaned and was starting to show some signs of coming out of his prolonged slump.

Anything Choo gives us is better than the black hole that Kearns was contributing to the lineup.
tecs

Favorite Player: Josh Tomlin
Least Favorite Player: Brandon Phillips

Unread postby WiscTribeFan » Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:27 pm

He's batting leadoff today, per Tony's Twitter feed.
Don't go away mad, just go away.
WiscTribeFan
Mook

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby cozmeesah » Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:26 pm

Brantley just took BP. Acta says it's not a DL issue, just out of lineup again tonight. Choo only hitting leadoff to get him as many AB's as possible to get his timing back. Once Brantley is back, Choo slides down.
cozmeesah

Favorite Player: Grady Sizemore
Least Favorite Player: AJ Pierzynski

Unread postby Dnthateonthepronk » Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:02 pm

skatingtripods wrote:

Carrera should go down.

Im not saying to DFA Duncan, Im saying if it was between him and Hannahan then I choose to DFA Duncan.

I would have chosen Duncan over Kearns.
Dnthateonthepronk

Unread postby dazindiansfanuk » Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:11 pm

Dnthateonthepronk wrote:
skatingtripods wrote:

Carrera should go down.

Im not saying to DFA Duncan, Im saying if it was between him and Hannahan then I choose to DFA Duncan.

I would have chosen Duncan over Kearns.

Duncan's got options.... you don't need to DFA him.... you can just option him down to AAA.
dazindiansfanuk
Tyner Is God

Favorite Player: Jhonny Peralta
Least Favorite Player: Curt Schilling

Unread postby Dnthateonthepronk » Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:07 pm

dazindiansfanuk wrote:
Duncan's got options.... you don't need to DFA him.... you can just option him down to AAA.

I know, I was just referencing if those two were both in a DFA situation.
Dnthateonthepronk

Unread postby redneckofsc » Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:11 pm

Kearns cleared waivers and was released today...for anyone that cares.

I remember when this guy was coming up with the Reds people would about Dunn, Kearns and Griffey hitting 150 HR between the three of them.
"I kill a communist for fun, but for a green card, I gonna carve him up real nice."

"All I have in this world is my balls and my word and I don't break them for no one."
redneckofsc
The Ultimate Grinder

Favorite Player: Wil Cordero
Least Favorite Player: Matt LaPorta

Unread postby noles1 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:30 pm

redneckofsc wrote:Kearns cleared waivers and was released today...for anyone that cares.

I remember when this guy was coming up with the Reds people would about Dunn, Kearns and Griffey hitting 150 HR between the three of them.

Yeah Reds fans I worked with always touted had Willy Mo Pena was their 4th and he was better than half the leagues starters... After about a season they quickly realized by that point they all sucked except for Dunn.
Playing here is the closest thing to heaven. Really, I mean it's amazing to be in a place where the fans truly cherish their football team and stick behind them win or lose. We players love them, too. I feel a sense of accomplishment playing here, we are a special breed of football players with a great opportunity." ~ tOSU LB Brian Rolle
noles1

Favorite Player: Jason Kipnis
Least Favorite Player: Mark May's Parents

Return to Cleveland Indians & MLB