Text Size

Cleveland Indians & MLB

A-Cab and Santana get in a spat?

Talk Tribe, talk baseball in this forum.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, paulcousineau

A-Cab and Santana get in a spat?

Unread postby NH Tribe Fan » Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:50 pm

I missed the first inning and didn't hear this referenced later in the game:

"- Shortstop Asdrubal Cabrera and first baseman Carlos Santana had to be separated in the Indians dugout in the first inning of Thursday's night's game against the Tigers."

http://danny-knobler.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/8590096/31265030

Hopefully this is just the national sports media making an issue out of nothing. If it's true, maybe Asdrubal is taking on a leadership role?
NH Tribe Fan

Re: A-Cab and Santana get in a spat?

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:55 pm

NH Tribe Fan wrote:I missed the first inning and didn't hear this referenced later in the game:

"- Shortstop Asdrubal Cabrera and first baseman Carlos Santana had to be separated in the Indians dugout in the first inning of Thursday's night's game against the Tigers."

Hopefully this is just the national sports media making an issue out of nothing. If it's true, maybe Asdrubal is taking on a leadership role?

Yes. It happened. Neither would speak much to it afterward but Carmona had to separate them after Santana's half assed effort on the first play of the game.

Asdrubal told him basically, "You have to move and give up the base to keep that ball in play."

And he probably told him he was a lazy piece of mierda.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby bookelly » Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:21 am

I'm not sure, but I'm beginning to think Santana isn't a very good teammate. First C Perez in ST, now Droobs and Kipnis.
Nobody, I mean nobody, voluntarily becomes a Cleveland sports fan.

"This team could fuck up a ham sandwich." -CDT
bookelly
Happy Easter!!

Favorite Player: My bunny hunny
Least Favorite Player: Elmer Fudd

Unread postby RedDawg53 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:48 am

I feel he's becoming a problem player. Especially with his lazy play and recently with the near miss with the Kipnis. I haven't seen the replay with AsCa. Kipnis with the long stare thinking wtf. Carlos just jogging away like no big deal, not saying a word to his fellow teammate. Is he becoming a version of a locker room cancer like Milton Bradley? Minus the obvious hate towards white people.
RedDawg53
Witness The Kipnis

Favorite Player: Nick Swisher
Least Favorite Player: NYY

Unread postby YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! » Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:32 am

What happened between him and Kip? I didn't see taht game.
YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES!

Unread postby statmasta » Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:10 am

NH Tribe Fan wrote:I missed the first inning and didn't hear this referenced later in the game:

http://cleveland.indians.mlb.com/video/ ... d=17926155
statmasta

Favorite Player: Sandy Alomar Jr.
Least Favorite Player: A.J. Pierzynski

Unread postby GodHatesClevelandSport » Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:15 am

All b/c they wanted Lou Marson in the lineup. :hide:
GodHatesClevelandSport

Favorite Player: Joe Smith
Least Favorite Player: Joe Smith

Unread postby DrPoove » Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:24 am

Santana has been anointed since he was 17. Needs to grow up. AC learned his lesson after a shitty 2008 and demotion to AAA after his 2007 debut. He took that experience and grew from it. Hopefully Santana can take some constructive criticism and mature. We will see. I don't think it makes him a bad teammate he just needs to grow up.

But he still would not have called as good of a game a Lou Marson last night.
"What is understood need not be discussed."
-Loren Adams
DrPoove
Special Guest Referee

Favorite Player: Cleveland
Least Favorite Player: The Inbred

Unread postby StewieG » Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:33 am

Santana's future position is DH.
StewieG

Favorite Player: Delonte MF'in West
Least Favorite Player: LeQuit

Unread postby Damage » Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:58 am

Let's give Santana a break here. It's his first time playing the position and he's essentially learning on the fly. I do agree that he is showing signs of being malcontent when it comes to fielding, but his bat more than makes up for it. However, if next year he continues to field like Mike Jacobs and refuses to hit anything other than a 4 or 2 seamer, it may be time for a demotion and/or decision on his future. I'm not suggesting a trade by any means, but if he is becoming a cancer, it could be the only option. Way too early to think about that though.
"I must be cruel only to be kind;
Thus bad begins, and worse remains behind."
Damage

Favorite Player: Terrell Brandon
Least Favorite Player: Joe Table

Unread postby Damage » Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:02 am

Here's a question I'll pose, stealing from a poster on my board:
Santana's catchers ERA is 4.14 compared to Marson's 3.76. Does that make up for the 100+ OPS differential between the 2?
Damage

Unread postby peeker643 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:07 am

Damage wrote:Here's a question I'll pose, stealing from a poster on my board:
Santana's catchers ERA is 4.14 compared to Marson's 3.76. Does that make up for the 100+ OPS differential between the 2?

No. And this is already being discussed in the Santana to 1B, Marson to C thread. :thumb up:

Everyone's a day late and dollar short on these issues. yesterday people were telling me I was full of shit regarding the kind of teammate Carlos is and the perception of him in his own clubhouse.

What changed? ;-) ;) :wink:

What's your board url anyway Damage? Always like to see what our posters create.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby WiscTribeFan » Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:14 am

It's actually closer to a 200 differential, but it's irrelevant since Santana is still playing while Marson is catching. You're not losing that output.

The comparison should be versus LaPorta, who would be the one losing playing time in this scenario. The OPS difference between those two is around 100, but I think replacing LaPorta with Marson is pretty much a wash when you take into account the ERA differential and defense he brings behind the dish.
Don't go away mad, just go away.
WiscTribeFan
Mook

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby Dnthateonthepronk » Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:23 am

Finally saw the 1st play of the game. He didn't even show any effort to jump that high in the first place to try and get it. That play seemed like it had less to do with laziness( than some of his other plays) and more to do with fundamentals/ not playing the position. That being said a teammate needed to say something, not sure if most fundamental discussions turn into arguments but it appeared that the anger that had been festering from his other bonehead, arrogant actions came out in that spat with AC.
Alex White: Just like School on Sunday......No Class.
Dnthateonthepronk

Favorite Player: Dan Marino
Least Favorite Player: Alex Rodriguez

Unread postby peeker643 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:36 am

Dnthateonthepronk wrote:Finally saw the 1st play of the game. He didn't even show any effort to jump that high in the first place to try and get it. That play seemed like it had less to do with laziness( than some of his other plays) and more to do with fundamentals/ not playing the position. That being said a teammate needed to say something, not sure if most fundamental discussions turn into arguments but it appeared that the anger that had been festering from his other bonehead, arrogant actions came out in that spat with AC.

He dropped the thrwo from Asdrubal the night before that was finally ruled an error on Santana and reduced the Jimenez earned runs from 3 to none.

Call it what you will: laziness, lack of concentration, arrogance, whatever. You can't have it when each game matters.

I don't care how few games he's played there, he was in position Wednesday night and simply lost focus on Asrubal's throw and Thursday night he could have kept that Chisenhall throw in play with basic effort. He didn't and, as you pointed out, he was rightfully admonished by Cabrera for it.

Whether it gets through or not is another matter entirely and really speaks to the other issues that have been talked about with Carlos. Hopefully he's getting the multiple messages he's receiving.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby skatingtripods » Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:42 am

Damage wrote:Let's give Santana a break here. It's his first time playing the position and he's essentially learning on the fly.

If these are throws that he has to pick on the short hop, you might have a point. But they weren't. They were in the air and required next to no effort. A little stretch and that's it.

On the Chisenhall throw, he comes off the base on good throws. Why wouldn't he come off the base on a bad one?
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby FUDU » Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:40 am

peeker643 wrote:

No. And this is already being discussed in the Santana to 1B, Marson to C thread. :thumb up:

Everyone's a day late and dollar short on these issues. yesterday people were telling me I was full of shit regarding the kind of teammate Carlos is and the perception of him in his own clubhouse.

What's your board url anyway Damage? Always like to see what our posters create.

http://www.damage.com/
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:34 pm

The fact Carlos would even argue with Asdrubal, tells me everything I need to know. Sit down, shut up, and listen to what the man is saying. I'm GLAD that half assed crap ain't gonna fly with A-Cab, that's what a leader should do, and he is clearly this team's leader.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby pup » Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:57 pm

Almost as surprising as the discussion about the offense being good enough to hide Marson, we are now talking about Asdrubal being the man who gets into a teammates face for lack of hustle and general nonchalance?

What is next? Fausto diets? LaPorta hits? Once we got to the point I am reading about Grady Sizemore toughing out an injury, it will be full on Bizzarro World.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby cozmeesah » Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:10 pm

pup wrote:Once we got to the point I am reading about Grady Sizemore toughing out an injury, it will be full on Bizzarro World.

Image Someone missed the past 3 years.
cozmeesah

Favorite Player: Grady Sizemore
Least Favorite Player: AJ Pierzynski

Unread postby Damage » Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:20 pm

peeker643 wrote:

Didn't read that thread. Was on vacation in Antigua for a while (Under any circumstances, don't ever stay at a Sandals resort)

My Board
http://z7.invisionfree.com/Dog_Pound/index.php?

Good luck trying to sign in/view it, as I messed around with the Admin functions one time and somehow disabled new members. I may have fixed it, but haven't tested it.
The site has been around since the ESPN boards turned to shit (so thinking 2004). Not many posters, but lot's of loyal guys. The main Indians dude on there is Dftnes. He knows his shit and, really, should contribute to this site, as he's too smart to just contribute to my shitty site.
Damage

Return to Cleveland Indians & MLB