Text Size

College Sports Arena

NCAA tells Ohio State it finds no new violations

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

Re: NCAA tells Ohio State it finds no new violatiLoons

Unread postby JCoz » Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:04 am

furls wrote:Look guys, I don't want to be the guy that likes the "smell of his own farts" but please take a look take a look at this article that I wrote FOUR years ago.

http://www.theclevelandfan.com/misc/gen ... chive/1811

Read it in the context of today's events. Select against tOSU because it is like hockey or NASCAR when ESPN didn't have rights. ESPN selected has selected its content against its contracts for a long time. Now don't get me wrong, I know that ESPN will have lots of tOSU games this year, but think longer term, think like an executive, think strategically, think endgame.

OSU has its own outlet in the B1G Network and while the BTN is not a direct competitor today, it is in a few years, when the contracts come due. Who is ESPN in bed with? The SEC (2B over 10 years) and now UTexas (the end of the Big 12). ESPN knows that the BTN's relationship outside the WWL is the end. From that point forward the conferences have viable alternatives.... w/o the B1G what do you think the SEC's alternatives were? What do you think their "opportunity cost of capital" was? How much do you think Indiana University's 22.7MM (just like every other B1G School) TV revenue from B1G affected the SEC's negotiations? So while the B1G's model did not result in the SEC starting a network (or any other conference save the P12) you cannot ignore the bargaining power of the network.

ESPN's treatment of this case is far beyond what anyone could consider serious and objective journalism. I have recently paired with a serious author and graduate of the NW school of journalism and we are collaborating on a book on this very topic. ESPN's demise is near, it will not be because of my efforts, it will be because of their own apathy and contempt. The competitors (FOX and NBC) are currently getting ready to launch. How much longer will it be before you are bored with Skip Bayless? I know you have only been tuning in because there is no alternative; that will soon change.

What competing nets are getting ready to launch?
JCoz
Donnie, you're out of your element

Favorite Player: Competency
Least Favorite Player: Gene Smith

Re: NCAA tells Ohio State it finds no new violations

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:08 am

Read The ESPN Book Furls. ESPN's networth currently rivals the US GDP and they are buying new sports just about every year.

No one is competing w/ them ever.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Re: NCAA tells Ohio State it finds no new violations

Unread postby gnati » Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:54 am

e0y2e3 wrote:Read The ESPN Book Furls. ESPN's networth currently rivals the US GDP and they are buying new sports just about every year.

No one is competing w/ them ever.

Agree.

Sincerely,

The Roman and British Empires.
gnati

Favorite Player: .
Least Favorite Player: .

Previous

Return to College Sports Arena