Text Size

Cleveland Cavaliers & The NBA

LeBron decies to learn the post

Talk Cavs hoops and other items from the NBA here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, papacass

LeBron decies to learn the post

Unread postby scott » Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:17 pm

Finally. Per Windhorst -

"But he did something else, something that could prove to be the most important thing James does during the lengthening lockout. Without fanfare, James had his private jet stop in Houston for some workouts with Olajuwon to tap the Hall of Famer's valuable knowledge of that old but rare skill of playing with your back to the basket."

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/miamiheat/post?id=9359
scott

Favorite Player: Sabby Piscitelli
Least Favorite Player: Everyone Else

Re: LeBron decies to learn the post

Unread postby noles1 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:27 pm

Believe it when I see it...

He has NEVER shown any inkling of wanting to mix it up with that before and in a few workouts he is going to learn from the "shake" master?

Don't buy it. Just another example of him trying to circumvent the process and "quick fix" it.
Playing here is the closest thing to heaven. Really, I mean it's amazing to be in a place where the fans truly cherish their football team and stick behind them win or lose. We players love them, too. I feel a sense of accomplishment playing here, we are a special breed of football players with a great opportunity." ~ tOSU LB Brian Rolle
noles1

Favorite Player: Jason Kipnis
Least Favorite Player: Mark May's Parents

Unread postby FUDU » Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:39 pm

He better learn it, b/c in just a few years he'll be the oldest 30 year old to ever play the game and won't have quite the athletic advantage he has now, and he'll be at the 35K minute mark which is arguably the beginning of the end.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby peeker643 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:52 pm

FUDU wrote:He better learn it, b/c in just a few years he'll be the oldest 30 year old to ever play the game and won't have quite the athletic advantage he has now, and he'll be at the 35K minute mark which is arguably the beginning of the end.

He's an athletic freak. The normal mileage won't apply anymore at 30 than it did at 15 or 20.

If dude is content with being what he is today he can stil play another ten years, pile up ridiculous numbers and never need a low post game.

If he gives a shit about rings he'll learn it. And he won't take his fucking pilot fish Remora Windhorst with him to tell everyone he's trying either.

LeBron announcing he studied post play under Hakeem during some layover in Houston is akin to me announcing I went to a Dale Carnegie seminar and am no longer an asshole.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:20 pm

LBJ actually played more in the post last year than ever in Cleveland. It didn't fully disappear from his game until the playoffs/pressure amped up.

I'd link a really good article on it by the Heat team writer but, well, it was taken down like every other damn article that mentions players by name.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby FUDU » Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:05 pm

peeker643 wrote:
FUDU wrote:He better learn it, b/c in just a few years he'll be the oldest 30 year old to ever play the game and won't have quite the athletic advantage he has now, and he'll be at the 35K minute mark which is arguably the beginning of the end.

He's an athletic freak. The normal mileage won't apply anymore at 30 than it did at 15 or 20.

If dude is content with being what he is today he can stil play another ten years, pile up ridiculous numbers and never need a low post game.

If he gives a shit about rings he'll learn it. And he won't take his fucking pilot fish Remora Windhorst with him to tell everyone he's trying either.

LeBron announcing he studied post play under Hakeem during some layover in Houston is akin to me announcing I went to a Dale Carnegie seminar and am no longer an asshole.

For the most part I disagree. Not to say he cannot do as you say, but based upon his body type (dude is huge), and the fact so much of his game IS predicated on power I'd play the odds, 35K effects virtually all these guys, even better players than LBJ. He's only going to get bigger and he will lose explosiveness b/c of it. Kobe and Michael were more athletic (minus the raw power) than LeBron in their primes and their games changed as the mileage added up, they had other facets to fall back on though.

Wouldn't shock me in the least to see him significantly drop off in his abilities at age 31-32, he's on pace to be near 38K in 4 short years when he is 30yo, that doesn't even count playoff and international minutes, nor consider the possible eventuality of a real injury along the way.

FUDU

Unread postby peeker643 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:24 pm

FUDU wrote:
peeker643 wrote:

For the most part I disagree. Not to say he cannot do as you say, but based upon his body type (dude is huge), and the fact so much of his game IS predicated on power I'd play the odds, 35K effects virtually all these guys, even better players than LBJ. He's only going to get bigger and he will lose explosiveness b/c of it. Kobe and Michael were more athletic (minus the raw power) than LeBron in their primes and their games changed as the mileage added up, they had other facets to fall back on though.

Wouldn't shock me in the least to see him significantly drop off in his abilities at age 31-32, he's on pace to be near 38K in 4 short years when he is 30yo, that doesn't even count playoff and international minutes, nor consider the possible eventuality of a real injury along the way.

I think you're associating 'more athletic' with leaner and more lithe. His power and size overshadow just how athletic he is Donny. He's an athletic freak. Maybe one of the most gifted athletes ever to play.

But I do agree injuries are the great equalizer and he has yet to go through that.

Here's hoping.... ;-) ;) :wink:

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby FUDU » Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:29 pm

OK, fair point, I'll stick with body type and mileage then, and I still like my chances. He'll be closer to the size of a center than a 3 when he is 31.

But if you're going to continue using words like "lithe" I'm not sure I can continue to associate with you anymore.

Dude it's yellow outside, yellow.

FUDU

Unread postby peeker643 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:33 pm

FUDU wrote:But if you're going to continue using words like "lithe" I'm not sure I can continue to associate with you anymore.

I can't blame you. I was reaching.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Larvell Blanks » Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:27 am

Sure he may have worked w/ The Dream on the low post game but does James have the disipline to stick w/ it? It seems that when he was in the post last season, or even when he was in Cleveland, if he had problems early on he reverted back to what he was more comfortable doing, be it LeIso or hanging out on the wings.
Galley Boys are slop on top of a so-so burger and a bun you coulde get from a Covneninet food mart generic pack. They the Antoine Joubert of burgers; soft, sloppy, oozing grease and cheap sauce and extremely overrated by a biased fan base. Proof that if you throw enough cheap sauce shit on a burger you still can't overcome the lame burger. -JB
Larvell Blanks

Favorite Player: Foots Walker
Least Favorite Player: un named sources

Unread postby Orenthal » Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:40 am

He can go down there, but he just isn't comfortable or effective either when it counts (plyoffs), or doesn't (regular season).
"When a man with money meets a man with experience, the man with experience leaves with money and the man with money leaves with experience."
Orenthal

Favorite Player: Dan Gilbert
Least Favorite Player: Blacks, Gays, Poor

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers & The NBA