Text Size

Cleveland Indians & MLB

BA Projection on Tribe Top 10 Prospects

Talk Tribe, talk baseball in this forum.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, paulcousineau

BA Projection on Tribe Top 10 Prospects

Unread postby WiscTribeFan » Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:37 am

From Jim Callis' Ask BA Segment. Note, they don't bother to include Knapp on the list.

Not only are the first four players on last year's Indians Top 10 either traded (Pomeranz, White) or in the majors, presumably to stay (Chisenhall, Kipnis), the next two guys (outfielder Nick Weglarz, righthander Jason Knapp) have had their 2011 seasons ruined by injuries. Here's how I envision our 2012 Top 10, assuming the Indians reach deals with Lindor and Howard. Many of Cleveland's best-performing prospects are relievers, but I only included two on the list and opted for prospects with higher ceilings.

1. Francisco Lindor, ss
Eighth overall pick was the best pure shortstop in 2011 draft.

2. Dillon Howard, rhp
First-round talent has heavy low-90s sinker, good athleticism.

3. Tony Wolters, ss
Has advanced line-drive bat; Lindor likely would push him to second base.

4. Nick Hagadone, lhp
Fastball and slider give reliever two strikeout pitches; command is much improved.

5. Felix Sterling, rhp
Holding his own at 18 in low Class A with nifty fastball-slider combination.

6. Ronnie Rodriguez, ss
Another teenager in low A, his multi-tool potential is more impressive than his numbers.

7. Luigi Rodriguez, of
Hit .379 with speed and some pop in Rookie ball to earn promotion to low A at age 18.

8. Chen Lee, rhp
Taiwanese Olympian runs fastball up to 96, has 87 K in 61 IP in upper minors.

9. Levon Washington, of
Fourth low Class A teenager on list has Carl Crawford toolset but struggling in pro debut.

10. Chun Chen, c
Has hit his way to Double-A but still must prove he can stay behind the plate.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/pr ... 12199.html
Don't go away mad, just go away.
WiscTribeFan
Mook

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Re: BA Projection on Tribe Top 10 Prospects

Unread postby skatingtripods » Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:58 am

Very, very young. No real impact on most of them until at least late 2013, more likely '14 or '15.

The window is now. We've got 3 years to get it done before we go for the rebuild again.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby WiscTribeFan » Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:04 am

skatingtripods wrote:Very, very young. No real impact on most of them until at least late 2013, more likely '14 or '15.

The window is now. We've got 3 years to get it done before we go for the rebuild again.

Indeed.

Here's another good article from Jordan Bastian discussing the Tribe's pitching depth in the minors.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd ... Id=rss_cle
WiscTribeFan
Mook

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:04 pm

Hopefully they pan out, but I say we build for 2064.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby gotribe31 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:21 pm

I don't love that list, and I think by Feb/March it will look awfully different. I think CC Lee is a better RP prospect at this point than Hagadone. Scott Barnes should be on that list. I know he's hurt, but it wasn't an arm injury so I'm not going to knock his prospect standing because of it. 1-10 isn't as impressive as 11-20, if that makes any sense. Weglarz, Knapp, Barnes, Austin Adams, Gio Soto, Rob Bryson, Bryce Stowell, TJ McFarland...all these guys have an opportunity to make an impact at the next level. The elite talent isn't there, but the cupboard is hardly bare. Lindor panning out and guys like Jake Lowrey, Jordan Smith etc from the 2011 draft will be huge.
You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves
-----Abe Lincoln

Let me tell you, if any of you douchebag empty headed stuffed suit nanny politicians tries to fuck with my bacon, I’m going after you like a crazed chimpanzee on bath salts.
-----Lars
gotribe31

Favorite Player: Francisco Lindor
Least Favorite Player: Michigan

Unread postby WiscTribeFan » Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:52 pm

I wondered why Barnes wasn't on the list.

As he said, he skipped most prospects that were relievers and went with higher ceiling guys on this list. Maybe he's figuring Barnes projects out as a lefty reliever rather than a starter, either that or he doesn't feel that he's got a ton of upside potential. Hard to say.
WiscTribeFan
Mook

Unread postby Mr. X » Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:29 pm

gotribe what about Jesus Aguilar? You think he's top 10 material?
Mr. X

Favorite Player: Kipnis
Least Favorite Player: Papelbon

Unread postby gotribe31 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:11 pm

Mr. X wrote:gotribe what about Jesus Aguilar? You think he's top 10 material?

He's young, big, strong, and has a ton of raw power. I saw him hit a couple of balls in spring training against the Reds that probably still haven't landed yet. That being said, he's not a great athlete and struggles even at 1B. I like him, but I won't have him in my top 10 until he shows me that he can hit for power in Kinston. Definitely a guy to keep an eye on though, and a guy who came a long way this season after not even being in my top-50 this spring.
You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves
-----Abe Lincoln

Let me tell you, if any of you douchebag empty headed stuffed suit nanny politicians tries to fuck with my bacon, I’m going after you like a crazed chimpanzee on bath salts.
-----Lars
gotribe31

Unread postby skatingtripods » Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:16 pm

gotribe31 wrote:
Mr. X wrote:gotribe what about Jesus Aguilar? You think he's top 10 material?

He's young, big, strong, and has a ton of raw power. I saw him hit a couple of balls in spring training against the Reds that probably still haven't landed yet. That being said, he's not a great athlete and struggles even at 1B. I like him, but I won't have him in my top 10 until he shows me that he can hit for power in Kinston. Definitely a guy to keep an eye on though, and a guy who came a long way this season after not even being in my top-50 this spring.

So, what you're saying is that he has a glow about him, but we shouldn't expect miracles?
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:10 pm

Nobody fucks with de Jesus.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby pup » Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:16 pm

Are you saying Jesus cannot hit a curveball?
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby gotribe31 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:33 pm

pup wrote:Are you saying Jesus cannot hit a curveball?

Alright pup, let's not start a holy war here.
-----Abe Lincoln

-----Lars
gotribe31

Unread postby danwismar » Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:59 pm

Conspicuous lack of corner outfielders and corner infielders in the top 20. Where in the world are those players going to come from in the next five years?
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

Dan's OSU Links - http://bit.ly/uXRD51
danwismar

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:10 pm

danwismar wrote:Conspicuous lack of corner outfielders and corner infielders in the top 20. Where in the world are those players going to come from in the next five years?

If you draft and develop (and publicize/hype) good minor league pitching you'll find those position pieces you're missing are suddenly being thrown at you.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby gotribe31 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:10 am

peeker643 wrote:
danwismar wrote:Conspicuous lack of corner outfielders and corner infielders in the top 20. Where in the world are those players going to come from in the next five years?

If you draft and develop (and publicize/hype) good minor league pitching you'll find those position pieces you're missing are suddenly being thrown at you.

Our best corner OF prospect is Weglarz, and he can't seem to stay healthy. Tim Fedroff has had a good year, but he's a tweener in the sense that he doesn't have the pop for a corner OF spot and probably isn't a CF defensively at the major league level. Bo Greenwell is still an interesting guy who was showing some power earlier this year, but has been on the DL for a while himself and still hasn't played above high A.

As far as the corner IF, Mills has at least re-established himself as someone to keep an eye on, but certainly hasn't worked his way back into top 10 consideration. Kyle Bellows is the Jack Hannahan of the system, an outstanding defensive 3B but can't hit his way out of a paper bag. As I said earlier, Jesus Aguilar is an intriguing bat at 1B, and his teammate Gio Urshela is another outstanding defender who's holding his own at full season low-A despite being just 19. There are a few CI guys in Arizona right now, but it's still pretty early to try and project much for them.

The cupboard isn't entirely bare, but Dan's right, it definitely isn't a strength of the system. Peek is also right in that drafting/developing quality arms will generally give you chips to deal for bats.
-----Abe Lincoln

-----Lars
gotribe31

Unread postby Symbolic47 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:45 am

For you guys who have the opportunity to see the young guys play.....hows Washington looking? I know hes a very toolsy player, Im hoping he can be an impact guy. He's got alot of potential, but haven't heard much about him this year. His stats in Lake County are rather miserable. But he seems to walk alot, and has decent speed. What are the chances he gets it together? Obviously living in this hellhole I don't get many chances to see the young guys, except for my yearly trek home to Akron every summer.
Symbolic47

Favorite Player: Santana
Least Favorite Player: Ubaldo

Unread postby gotribe31 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:23 am

Symbolic47 wrote:For you guys who have the opportunity to see the young guys play.....hows Washington looking? I know hes a very toolsy player, Im hoping he can be an impact guy. He's got alot of potential, but haven't heard much about him this year. His stats in Lake County are rather miserable. But he seems to walk alot, and has decent speed. What are the chances he gets it together? Obviously living in this hellhole I don't get many chances to see the young guys, except for my yearly trek home to Akron every summer.

I haven't seen him since spring training, but the kid is an elite athlete. Doesn't have a great (or even good) arm, but he tracks balls in the OF with his plus speed. Solid approach at the plate, and he projects to have an above average hit tool with slightly below average power. He's still young for the level, as he turned 20 just a couple of weeks ago (7/26). The tools are ahead of the production at this point, but that's not unusual for a player in his first taste of pro ball. He had some minor, nagging injuries that haven't helped as well. I like him a lot going forward, not ready to write him off after one poor season.
-----Abe Lincoln

-----Lars
gotribe31

Return to Cleveland Indians & MLB