Text Size

Cleveland Indians & MLB

10 years on......

Talk Tribe, talk baseball in this forum.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, paulcousineau

10 years on......

Unread postby dazindiansfanuk » Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:56 pm

...... August 5th 2001.

Enjoy!

http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/34817
dazindiansfanuk
Tyner Is God

Favorite Player: Jhonny Peralta
Least Favorite Player: Curt Schilling

Re: 10 years on......

Unread postby skatingtripods » Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:05 pm

Awesome. Never gets old.

We almost lost Hammy to a heart attack on that Vizquel triple.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby bac5665 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:41 pm

My gods.

That was the first time I've seen that. Just wish I'd been a fan back then.
bac5665

Favorite Player: Jason Kipnis
Least Favorite Player: Bug Selig

Unread postby Squints » Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:10 pm

I'm not a computer guy, but that production must have took some time and it was well done.

I was in grad school at that time, was working on a research paper that night, turned off the tv 4 innings in- Burba got rocked. It was a swletering apartment, was done for the night on the paper and was going to drive to my girlfriend's (now wife) air conditioned apartment, who did not have cable. I turned on the game during the eighth and watched the rest of the game in that sweat pad of an apartment. Would still be regretting it if I didn't turn the tv.
Squints

Favorite Player: Howard, Tim
Least Favorite Player: Howard, Desmond

Unread postby ClevelandFanInNewYork » Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:17 pm

dazindiansfanuk wrote:...... August 5th 2001.

Enjoy!

http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/34817

I had come back to Lorain from New York on Friday to visit my mother. My brother had season tickets along the first base line but had given the pair up to a friend. He managed to snag two seats in the bleachers so we decided to go to the game. They were getting pounded and he had to drive to Detroit the next morning for a meeting and I had the 500 mile drive back to New York so we decided to leave in the seventh inning. Mind you...we had both sat through the freezing cold of Red Right 88 and other Browns games and many a double header at the old Stadium when the Tribe really sucked, and had NEVER left early....EVER!

We are both old school and were listening to the game on the radio as we walked back to the car. By the time we got to the parking garage it was 14-5 and we were both pissed that we had left.

When Cordova hit the homer to make it 14-8 we were near Bay Village and blaming each other for deciding to leave early. When Lofton got thrown out at the plate, I remember saying that our comeback chances were over.

When Branyan stuck out to make it two out in the ninth, we had just hit Route 57 and were five minutes from my mom's house. By the time Cordova walked, we were racing to the house to catch the end of the game on TV. We came flying into the house just in time to see Vizquel's triple to tie the game and also see my 85 year old mother jumping up and down waving her Wahoo hat and proudly strutting around in her Omar jersey!

When Lofton scored the winning run, people were outside shooting fireworks off like it was the Fourth of July! And my claim to fame is that I left the damn game and didn't see one of the greatest finishes in baseball history!

I'll have to give my bro a call tonight during the Texas game to bust his chops. Thanks for the reminder and memories. I have that video saved on my PC and watch it every once in a while and it always reminds me of Major League.

Maybe this will be our miracle year.

Go Tribe!
ClevelandFanInNewYork

Favorite Player: Brian Sipe
Least Favorite Player: Any New Yorker

Unread postby Symbolic47 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:48 pm

I think most of us will always remember that game. I turned it off once we got down 14-2. Went out and played some ball with some buds for a little bit. Came home and turned on the game just to see how bad we were losing, like some of you. I was in shock. I got home right before we scored the tieing run in the 9th. Amazing.
Symbolic47

Favorite Player: Santana
Least Favorite Player: Ubaldo

Unread postby andrew6586 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:10 pm

I still remember falling asleep to this game in the 8th inning. I randomly woke up at about 1 in the morning only to see Lofton sliding home. I immediately thought: are they showing a replay for another game? Then it hit me. What a crazy game that was.
Once a fan, always a fan.
On Twitter @apac6586
andrew6586
Church of Asdrubal

Favorite Player: Kenny Lofton
Least Favorite Player: Mark Shapiro

Unread postby Am I Here Again? » Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:18 pm

Hubby and I had been driving home from Portland, ME that night (had to love the 50,000 watts before smart phones). We got to a restaurant and stopped to eat while the Tribe was getting shellacked. When we got back in the car I said to hubby "I wonder how badly the Tribe ended up losing" just to find out they had started coming back. I think the drivers around us could hear up whoop and holler with each little bit closer that the Tribe was to tying the game. I sure wish my Mom was still around for that one. We would call each other after every big game just to check in. Even the one when Pena won the first play-off game against the Sux in 1995...right after she had come home from the hospital. That was something like 2 in the morning or so?
I've tried 'em all, I really have, and the only church that truly feeds the soul, day in, day out, is the Church of Baseball.~~~Annie Savoy-"Bull Durham"
Am I Here Again?
Tribe-a-Holic

Favorite Player: Sam McDowell
Least Favorite Player: Any Red Sox or Yank

Unread postby OldDawg » Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:53 am

Watched that game at my brother's house in Florida. Still an amazing game.

Edit: I just checked to see if my memory was correct, and it was. Both teams had yanked at least 3 starters by the time the comeback rolled around. Both coaches basically said this game was over.

The Indians had made these subs:
Cabrera (2ABs) for Robbie Alomar
Taubenese (4ABs) for Juan Gonzales
Branyon (3ABs) for Ellis Burks
Cordero (3ABs) for Travis Fryman

Seattle had taken out
Suzuki
Edgar Martinez
John Olerud
"The nose of the bulldog has been slanted backwards so that he can breathe without letting go." -- Winston Churchill
OldDawg

Favorite Player: Mark Price
Least Favorite Player: LePunk Jims

Unread postby British_Pharaoh » Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:12 pm

I listened to this game before they blocked WTAM for the games overseas
"There is but one thing of real value: to cultivate truth and justice and to live without anger in the midst of lying and unjust men"

-Marcus Aurelius
British_Pharaoh
Tony Sipp IS HERE!

Favorite Player: Michael Brantley
Least Favorite Player: Alexei Ramirez

Unread postby 1Perry » Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:56 pm

I was sitting in a hospital room while my wife was in labor. Luckily it was only the onset and our daughter wasn't born until 10:00 the next morning.
1Perry
The Shapiro of Posters

Unread postby peeker643 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:58 pm

1Perry wrote:I was sitting in a hospital room while my wife was in labor. Luckily it was only the onset and our daughter wasn't born until 10:00 the next morning.

'Luckily' for who? Certainly not your wife. ;-) ;) :wink:
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Return to Cleveland Indians & MLB