Text Size

Cleveland Indians & MLB

Tribe Vs. Rangers 8/6/11

Talk Tribe, talk baseball in this forum.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, paulcousineau

Re: Tribe Vs. Rangers 8/6/11

Unread postby aldamon » Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:55 am

Did you guys see Santana's reaction after the win? LOL.

aldamon

Unread postby RedDawg53 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 12:16 pm

aldamon wrote:Did you guys see Santana's reaction after the win? LOL.

I think we were all doing that after the final out, too
RedDawg53
Witness The Kipnis

Favorite Player: Nick Swisher
Least Favorite Player: NYY

Unread postby Dnthateonthepronk » Sun Aug 07, 2011 12:19 pm

RedDawg53 wrote:
aldamon wrote:Did you guys see Santana's reaction after the win? LOL.

I think we were all doing that after the final out, too

hell I was doing that after each run they scored.
Alex White: Just like School on Sunday......No Class.
Dnthateonthepronk

Favorite Player: Dan Marino
Least Favorite Player: Alex Rodriguez

Unread postby Dnthateonthepronk » Sun Aug 07, 2011 12:28 pm

RedDawg53 wrote:HOLY TITS!!!

Pamela Anderson was at the game?
Alex White: Just like School on Sunday......No Class.
Dnthateonthepronk

Favorite Player: Dan Marino
Least Favorite Player: Alex Rodriguez

Unread postby Funky Cold Luis Medina » Sun Aug 07, 2011 1:04 pm

Been a while since I've posted here, wow.

Okay. So I've been out of the loop a bit, as I'm living in North Texas with no MLB TV package since I have Dish Network. Is last night typical of Tribe games this year? You can only glean so much from newspapers, TV highlights, and ESPN text updates.

Plate ump sucked, second base wasn't much better (even the Rangers' TV guys admitted Kinsler was out on his steal).

Was in Sec. 325 last night behind the plate, happened to end up right behind four Tribe fans from Austin. Rock on.

Loved Tofu Lou scoring from second on the error. Dude's got balls of... well not steel. Edamame? Help me out here.

Still trying to figure out Oliver's balk. I've seen hundreds of balks, but I have only once before seen a pitcher drop the ball while on the rubber to do it and it was Doug Jones in his final Tribe stint of '98 when he was 86. Perhaps just the arthritis in Oliver's 75 year old hands flaring up?

Rangers had an autograph session before the game, and I finally got to meet Nolan Ryan. Always been a fan of his, saw him get his last career win 18 years ago at the old Stadium. Still have the scorecard from it in my messy 9-year-old handwriting, and now a signed card to go with it.
I am the sumo florist, and flowers are my trade.
Funky Cold Luis Medina
Insert Title Here

Favorite Player: Cory Snyder
Least Favorite Player: Too many to list

Unread postby Am I Here Again? » Sun Aug 07, 2011 1:22 pm

British_Pharaoh wrote:
andrew6586 wrote:
British_Pharaoh wrote:Nice to see the Tribe win in the final inning for a change.

Am I right in thinking that unless Detroit skip a starter (off day Monday) we will miss Verlander in the upcoming series?

You would be right if Jim Leyland wasn't a douchebag. He just shuffled the rotation so that we get Verlander. Oh happy day :pb: :gah: ::doh::

Gash!!!!
Well we have mixed results against Verlander. Sometimes he bums us hard other times he smack him around like a piñata.

As of right now the match-ups are: Fister vs Masty, Porcello vs TBA, and Verlander vs TBA. Seems like Manny plans on doing a little shuffle of his own.
I've tried 'em all, I really have, and the only church that truly feeds the soul, day in, day out, is the Church of Baseball.~~~Annie Savoy-"Bull Durham"
Am I Here Again?
Tribe-a-Holic

Favorite Player: Sam McDowell
Least Favorite Player: Any Red Sox or Yank

Unread postby skatingtripods » Sun Aug 07, 2011 1:35 pm

scrambler wrote:Secret....Carmona WHIP in 2011--1.36. Jimenez WHIP in 2011--1.40

They have been the same pitcher all year long pretty much. Fausto has given up more home runs and has a slightly higher ERA but some of his peripherals are better than Jimenez. It doesn't really matter, but I know how upset people have been with Carmona this year, but we basically traded for....Fausto Carmona.

This is unfair. Jimenez is hurt. The drop in velo, the thumb issue, the hip issue.

Can't judge him until he's healthy. Look at the difference between Joe Smith last year and him this year.

Also, let's give Jimenez a year without worrying about hitting and running the bases.

IMO, there's no way we can really evaluate much of anything about this trade for quite some time yet.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby dazindiansfanuk » Sun Aug 07, 2011 1:37 pm

Am I Here Again? wrote:
British_Pharaoh wrote:
andrew6586 wrote:
British_Pharaoh wrote:Nice to see the Tribe win in the final inning for a change.

Am I right in thinking that unless Detroit skip a starter (off day Monday) we will miss Verlander in the upcoming series?

You would be right if Jim Leyland wasn't a douchebag. He just shuffled the rotation so that we get Verlander. Oh happy day :pb: :gah: ::doh::

Gash!!!!
Well we have mixed results against Verlander. Sometimes he bums us hard other times he smack him around like a piñata.

As of right now the match-ups are: Fister vs Masty, Porcello vs TBA, and Verlander vs TBA. Seems like Manny plans on doing a little shuffle of his own.

I think it's only TBA because Carrasco is serving his suspension.

Because of that, it's likely Masterson, Jimenez and Carmona go for the Tribe in that series all on regular rest because of tomorrows off day.
dazindiansfanuk
Tyner Is God

Favorite Player: Jhonny Peralta
Least Favorite Player: Curt Schilling

Unread postby WiscTribeFan » Sun Aug 07, 2011 2:06 pm

RedDawg53 wrote:
Lokais wrote:
RedDawg53 wrote:Witness the Kipnis! Off the Jap pitcher. Couldn't measure up to the winess. Came up short to the Kipnis. Atta boy, Jason. Orlando who?

Wow dude, Jap pitcher? We gonna start calling Asdrubal a spic now, too?

Calling a Japanese pitcher a Jap is not the same as called Asdrubal a spic. They are so different, Not even in the same ball park, not even the same sport. Now if I were to say slant-eye instead of Jap, then that'll be close to spic.

And if you're upset about me calling a Japanese pitcher a "Jap"; why not the Native Americans & Chief Wahoo??? Do you protest every year on opening day? What are you smoking in your peace pipe?

Actuallly, it is in the same ballpark, and has been since WWII.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jap
Don't go away mad, just go away.
WiscTribeFan
Mook

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby RedDawg53 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 2:30 pm

WiscTribeFan wrote:
RedDawg53 wrote:
Lokais wrote:
RedDawg53 wrote:Witness the Kipnis! Off the Jap pitcher. Couldn't measure up to the winess. Came up short to the Kipnis. Atta boy, Jason. Orlando who?

Calling a Japanese pitcher a Jap is not the same as called Asdrubal a spic. They are so different, Not even in the same ball park, not even the same sport. Now if I were to say slant-eye instead of Jap, then that'll be close to spic.

And if you're upset about me calling a Japanese pitcher a "Jap"; why not the Native Americans & Chief Wahoo??? Do you protest every year on opening day? What are you smoking in your peace pipe?

::doh:: I apologize to every JAPanese pitcher out there. Especially the one who gave up the homer to the Kipnis. For those two insurance runs did come in handy. Thank you :salute:
RedDawg53
Witness The Kipnis

Unread postby RedDawg53 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 2:37 pm

Dnthateonthepronk wrote:
RedDawg53 wrote:HOLY TITS!!!

Pamela Anderson was at the game?

Not at this game. But some hot hispanic woman with huge ( . ) ( . ) was. It was the 8th-9th inning. The hot ball girl tossed the baseball to the woman, of course she didn't catch the ball with her hands or between her ( . ) ( . ). She bent down to get the ball and the camera stayed on her. STO's camera men sure do a great job of the action on the field and off.
RedDawg53
Witness The Kipnis

Unread postby smalls1129 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 3:14 pm

RedDawg53 wrote:
WiscTribeFan wrote:
RedDawg53 wrote:
Lokais wrote:

Please just stop with the damn PC. It's words over the internet, certainly no reason for you to be playing mommy.
::doh:: I apologize to every JAPanese pitcher out there. Especially the one who gave up the homer to the Kipnis. For those two insurance runs did come in handy. Thank you :salute:
"Strangers passing in the street, by chances two separate glances meet and I am you and what I see his me."
smalls1129

Favorite Player: A-Cab
Least Favorite Player: Squire James

Unread postby RedDawg53 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 3:46 pm

Some people are sensitive over what other's type on a keyboard. And smalls you wrote inside of my quote box, lol. Now go to you your room!
RedDawg53
Witness The Kipnis

Unread postby smalls1129 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:26 pm

Yea posting from a phone, especially after an anniversary bar crawl through Columbia, is still a work in progress.
"Strangers passing in the street, by chances two separate glances meet and I am you and what I see his me."
smalls1129

Favorite Player: A-Cab
Least Favorite Player: Squire James

Unread postby Lokais » Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:11 pm

Jap is absolutely used as a derogatory term. But why argue with a person who is apparently such a moron that you try to insult me for calling you out with even more unintelligent drivel about peace pipes.
Lokais

Unread postby Lokais » Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:13 pm

Anyway, my wife is Japanese. I come here to be informed about the team like I said. But apparently there are some uneducated hicks on this forum that make it a little too insulting to bother coming here anymore. So keep your racist talk and I'll find somewhere else to read about the team.
Lokais

Unread postby skatingtripods » Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:45 pm

There really aren't many rules around here. The moderation is kept to a minimum, we're allowed to use obscenities within reason, but there's one giant rule to live by:

Don't be an asshole.

Using racial slurs is being an asshole.

It's an indefensible position.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby pup » Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:52 pm

skatingtripods wrote:There really aren't many rules around here. The moderation is kept to a minimum, we're allowed to use obscenities within reason, but there's one giant rule to live by:

Don't be an asshole.

Seconded.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:00 pm

skatingtripods wrote:There really aren't many rules around here. The moderation is kept to a minimum, we're allowed to use obscenities within reason, but there's one giant rule to live by:

Don't be an asshole.

This is really ironic, on so may levels.

People should go back and re-read the thread on The Pacific. I bet "Jap" gets used a dozen times in that thread and not nary a peep.

Good thing I don't give a fuck about people being PC, cause i'd have quite a beef about people throwing around the word "Kraut", but I use the word myself... so I don't give a shit.

He didn't insult dude's wife, he made an off color comment.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby WiscTribeFan » Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:07 pm

If you're discussing WWII, specifically The Pacific, I can see where that term gets used with the context of the day, and, yes, Jap and Kraut were not terms of endearment. The imagery associated with the Japanese during WWII was very much racially motivated. Cartoons depicted them as monkey-like creatures with buck-teeth and bad vision. They were considered to be thieving, devious, unintelligent and sub-human. The Germans, irregardless of the fact that they'd taken over all of Europe and were attempting to exterminate an entire race of people, received a bit better press since they were more like 'us', meaning the white people of the day. Citizens of German ancestry weren't rounded up and sent to internment camps either...

My grandparents used those terms, along with a lot of other racial terms that aren't exactly appropriate today, but were way back when.

That said, there were much better ways to refer to the pitcher than calling him a 'Jap'. If he were African-American, would it have been OK to use the N word? Of course not. The 'spic' comment was dead on. It's a term you just don't use, there's no need, and it wasn't amusing.

I'm not offended, and I'm not an overly PC guy, it was just a poor choice of words, made more so by the notion afterwards that it wasn't a big deal. Using a racial slur is a big deal, regardless of which slur you're using. Intolerance to that isn't being PC.

Historical Fact since we were discussing the Pacific: My avatar is that of the 37th Infantry Division, based mostly out of OH, PA, MI and IN during WWII. They were known as the Fighting Buckeyes, and fought in the Pacific. I had several relatives from Cleveland in that division, one of whom was killed in the Philippines.
Don't go away mad, just go away.
WiscTribeFan
Mook

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby DrPoove » Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:33 pm

It was/is an indefensible comment plain and simple.

Whether you are PC or non-PC it was out of line. No grey area.
"What is understood need not be discussed."
-Loren Adams
DrPoove
Special Guest Referee

Favorite Player: Cleveland
Least Favorite Player: The Inbred

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:50 pm

WiscTribeFan wrote:If you're discussing WWII, specifically The Pacific, I can see where that term gets used with the context of the day, and, yes, Jap and Kraut were not terms of endearment. The imagery associated with the Japanese during WWII was very much racially motivated. Cartoons depicted them as monkey-like creatures with buck-teeth and bad vision. They were considered to be thieving, devious, unintelligent and sub-human. The Germans, irregardless of the fact that they'd taken over all of Europe and were attempting to exterminate an entire race of people, received a bit better press since they were more like 'us', meaning the white people of the day. Citizens of German ancestry weren't rounded up and sent to internment camps either...

My grandparents used those terms, along with a lot of other racial terms that aren't exactly appropriate today, but were way back when.

That said, there were much better ways to refer to the pitcher than calling him a 'Jap'. If he were African-American, would it have been OK to use the N word? Of course not. The 'spic' comment was dead on. It's a term you just don't use, there's no need, and it wasn't amusing.

I'm not offended, and I'm not an overly PC guy, it was just a poor choice of words, made more so by the notion afterwards that it wasn't a big deal. Using a racial slur is a big deal, regardless of which slur you're using. Intolerance to that isn't being PC.

Historical Fact: My avatar is that of the 37th Infantry Division, based mostly out of OH, PA, MI and IN during WWII. They were known as the Fighting Buckeyes, and fought in the Pacific. I had several relatives from Cleveland in that division, one of whom was killed in the Philippines.

No Germans were not rounded up like the Japanese, but they were discriminated against. My great grandparents and other Germans fleeing the Nazis were spit on after getting off the boat from Ellis Island. "No Krauts" was a common site for them around NYC, so they settled in Ohio because it's already large German population.

The Pacific thread the word pops up more than a few times. The term "Jap army" mainly.

"Using a racial slur is a big deal" No beef with that at all, man. I'm just saying it's ironic to be selectively outraged. Mick, Wop, Dago, Bo-hunk. Polack, Limey, Chinaman, and Kraut have all been used by members, and no one got upset. Honestly, as a white male, there aren't many thing you can call me that would offend me. "Cracker" and "Honkey" are funny IMO.

It's also ironic since this forum is about a team called the "Indians" and has a red faced mascot.

Non historical fact: My avatar is smushed face cat mustached cat that looks like Wilfred Brimley, it also says "Diabeetus".
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:56 pm

DrPoove wrote:It was/is an indefensible comment plain and simple.

Shouldn't you be polishing your Hacksaw Jim Duggan figures? Or getting openly poked by e0y "3 whole times"?

lol "no grey area".... if the picture was the same as a 1942 caricature of a Japanese person, it would never be tolerated.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby DrPoove » Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:28 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:

Shouldn't you be polishing your Hacksaw Jim Duggan figures? Or getting openly poked by e0y "3 whole times"?

lol "no grey area".... if the picture was the same as a 1942 caricature of a Japanese person, it would never be tolerated.

Yawn.
-Loren Adams
DrPoove
Special Guest Referee

Unread postby motherscratcher » Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:35 pm

I think Lokais was a little overboard on the Fukudome thread, but I agree this him here. I don't know how you use "Jap" and then act surprised that someone got offended. Nothing trumps the N word, but Jap is pretty damn close.

All slurs aren't created equal. I don't know why they aren't, but I know it to be the case. I would feel really uncomfortable saying "jap" to someone's face, but would have littel problem calling CDT a Kraut or being called a Kraut myself. Maybe it's hypocritical. I just think "jap" is a pretty cut and dry case.

I'm also on record here thinking that Chief Wahoo is offensive and should be retired. I don't think it's overly "PC" to have these views.
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:38 pm

DrPoove wrote:
Cerebral_DownTime wrote:

Yawn.

Nice retort.

You don't have a counter argument for the Wahoo being obviously racially insensitive, do you?

But that's ok, as you said "it's indefensible".

Cheers.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby skatingtripods » Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:53 pm

I got no problem with it, personally, but in this instance, it's indefensible. This is a public forum. I'm sure Rich has no interest in people using derogatory racial terms around here.

I'm about as far from PC as it gets. Anybody who knows me knows that.

Felt the need to moderate a little bit before it got out of hand. Mostly because that bald asshole McPeek doesn't do his job well enough around here.
Last edited by skatingtripods on Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby skatingtripods » Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:56 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:He didn't insult dude's wife, he made an off color comment.

It doesn't matter.

You and I have talked off the boards and you know full well that what I say around you and other people I personally know is far different from what I say on here. If that makes me a hypocrite, so be it. But, you never know who you are going to offend when you use racial slurs in the manner that they were used in this thread.

Best not to use them at all unless around people who are like-minded or won't be offended.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:58 pm

skatingtripods wrote:I got no problem with it, personally, but overall, it's indefensible. This is a public forum. I'm sure Rich has no interest in people using derogatory racial terms around here.

That's cool, I just expect the next person to call me a "Kraut", to get the ban hammer dropped on them. ;-) ;) :wink:
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby DrPoove » Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:02 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:
DrPoove wrote:
Cerebral_DownTime wrote:

Yawn.

Nice retort.

You don't have a counter argument for the Wahoo being obviously racially insensitive, do you?

But that's ok, as you said "it's indefensible".

Cheers.

Yawn. It didn't deserve a retort.

Check the threads and pod-casts. I've been calling for them to go back to being called the "Blues" for years.

Have a nice evening.
-Loren Adams
DrPoove
Special Guest Referee

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:20 pm

DrPoove wrote:Yawn. It didn't deserve a retort.

Check the threads and pod-casts. I've been calling for them to go back to being called the "Blues" for years.

Have a nice evening.

I'd consider checking out your pod casts assuming they're better than that awful BTR show you did you Tripods. The one where you talked the whole time and he couldn't get a word in until you took a breath.... and the corn ball movie clips.

Linkage?

Blues is kinda perfect since is it's a Cleveland team.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby peeker643 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:49 pm

I'm burying this stinking, rotting corpse of a thread.

And people wonder why I can't stomach game threads any more?

The Gamethreads are the fucking Wal Mart of this forum.

If it ain't people bitching in the first inning it's people whining about where someone's hitting. And if it ain't that it's someone typing the name of the player who just singled, made a play or drove in a run:

"Michael Brantley!!"

EVERYONE IN HERE SAW IT OR WATCHED THE DOTS AND KNOWS THE GD NAMES.

Christ.

And for fucksake, if there's a question of whether something's inappropriate then it probably fucking is. Use your effing heads.

And yeah, that includes the sloppy, red-faced logo and that is ironic given the turn the thread took. This Mick agrees with the gigantic kraut on that.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Previous

Return to Cleveland Indians & MLB