Text Size

Cleveland Indians & MLB

I'm sorry I didn't start the gamethread

Talk Tribe, talk baseball in this forum.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, paulcousineau

I'm sorry I didn't start the gamethread

Unread postby TribeinLA » Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:50 am

I couldn't wait to get off work and watch the game with my dad and grandpa...drink some beers and watch Ubaldo. We had talked about it last night and it would be the 2nd game the three of us would have watched together since the Detroit game when Santana hit GW slam.

Well, my grandfather suffered a heart attack and died suddenly today around noon. I missed the entire game, but just heard about it and my heart sunk even lower. I just anted to drink some beers and watch the pasttime that these two men gave me. It's been a heavy day to say the least.

My grandfather served in WW II and was at games 1 and 2 of the '54 World Series. He always said Bob Lemon threw his glove further than D. Rhode's pop up homer.

Been a strange day. I hope you all managed to keep your heads tonight. I knwo it must have been a tough loss. I'll be back in a couple of days. I hope grandfather and Bob Feller guide this team from above.

See ya guys.
TribeinLA

Favorite Player: Asdrubal Cabrera
Least Favorite Player: Josh Beckett

Re: I'm sorry I didn't start the gamethread

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Sat Aug 06, 2011 1:53 am

We may have had our differences in the past, but you have my deepest sympathy. I wish the best for you and your family in this sad time. Your Grandfather was a hero, and i'm grateful for his service to this country.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby skatingtripods » Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:12 am

Sorry for your loss TinLA. Lost my grandfather, a WWII vet, in 2001. I was only 15 when he died and never got to really ask him about his wartime memories or about the Depression or any of that. One of my biggest regrets that I never wanted to go to my grandparents house because it was boring.

Cherish the times you had and that you had a common interest like baseball. My grandpa would watch games when they were on Ch. 43 because he didn't have cable, but I don't know how big a fan he was.

Didn't mean to go off on a tangent about my life and relationship with my grandpa. Just trying to convey the point that it sounds like you have a lot of memories with him. Always focus on those.

My condolences again.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby OldDawg » Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:30 am

My condolences as well. It sounds like he left a legacy for you and your dad. Your grandpappy lives on in you and your dad. Just pass it on to your kids as well.

My dad and granddad died in the past few years. I remember the bi-annual family reunions years ago (Memorial Day and Labor Day). In the evening, they would gather in an area of the yard, and turn on the radio to listen to the Tribe game. And this is when the Tribe was consistently bad, and in the East with the Yanks, BoSox and all. But they were die hards. Followed the Tribe thru thick and thin. They complained just like us, but it was face to face, and not on a message board.

My dad took my son to a Tribe v Yankees sell-out game in the relatively early Jacobs field era -- all sellouts. The Tribe waxed the Yanks that day. Late in the game, Manny Ramirez was batting with the bases loaded and my young son says to his granddad, "we've seen just about everything but a grandslam in this game." And you guessed it... POW! Granddad told that story for years.

When I watch Tribe games nowadays, I often think of those and many other memories. I also think of the memories I have with my son watching the games of the mid-to-late nineties together. I hope he cherishes those memories as much as I.

Again, sorry for your loss. And I think many of us are like you. Many of us are adamant Tribe fans because that was passed on to us.
Last edited by OldDawg on Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
"The nose of the bulldog has been slanted backwards so that he can breathe without letting go." -- Winston Churchill
OldDawg

Favorite Player: Mark Price
Least Favorite Player: LePunk Jims

Unread postby RedDawg53 » Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:32 am

Sorry about your loss.

The thing I found to help me, weather a loss of a loved one, job loss, etc; is to watch or listen to the game of baseball. That's my pastime.

Keep watching the Tribe and your grandfather will be watching with you. Hang in there and hope to read your posts soon.
RedDawg53
Witness The Kipnis

Favorite Player: Nick Swisher
Least Favorite Player: NYY

Unread postby Adverb Harry » Sat Aug 06, 2011 1:22 pm

So sorry for your loss, too. I really can't imagine how tough it is for you...I lost both my grandpas when I was six years old, so I don't have many strong memories of them. Just that they loved me and would do anything for me. Your grandpa was definitely the same. Cherish your memories and know that he's always going to be with you, hopefully enjoying an Indians World Series one of these years from the best seat in the house.
Adverb Harry

Favorite Player: Jason Kipnis
Least Favorite Player: Ubaldo, Bud Selig

Unread postby Am I Here Again? » Sat Aug 06, 2011 5:40 pm

So sorry to hear that. Thoughts and prayers your way. Like RedDawg and OldDawg said he'll be right there with you whenever you watch or listen to a Tribe game. I learned all I know about baseball from listening to games with her from age 8. Been a big fan ever since. Mom's been gone over 11 years but when I listen to game even now I'll "talk" it over with her. I know she's listening. Grandpa may be gone but he'll always be in your heart.

*FWIW I'm jealous of all of you guys. By the time I got around to getting born all my grandparents were gone. Enjoy the fact that you all got to know and love them in person.
I've tried 'em all, I really have, and the only church that truly feeds the soul, day in, day out, is the Church of Baseball.~~~Annie Savoy-"Bull Durham"
Am I Here Again?
Tribe-a-Holic

Favorite Player: Sam McDowell
Least Favorite Player: Any Red Sox or Yank

Unread postby Symbolic47 » Sat Aug 06, 2011 6:51 pm

Dang man thats rough. My heart goes out to your family. Puts things in perspective doesnt it? This is just baseball, and in the grand scheme of things means very little. Hopefully your Grandpa can will us a World Series here in the next few years.
Symbolic47

Favorite Player: Santana
Least Favorite Player: Ubaldo

Return to Cleveland Indians & MLB