Text Size

Cleveland Browns & The NFL

Holmgren expects to compete

Talk Browns football and discuss the NFL here.

Moderators: peeker643, jb, swerb, pup

Holmgren expects to compete

Unread postby SoulDawg74 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:40 pm

Colt will be given full support .

Of other notes .

Holmgren claimed the team got 334 years younger this offseason , kudos mistero , you called it first.

http://sportsradiointerviews.com/2011/0 ... colt-mcco/

SoulDawg
SoulDawg74

Re: Holmgren expects to compete

Unread postby jta1975 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:17 am

Tampa.....the rule or the exception....you pick
jta1975

Favorite Player: Red Face
Least Favorite Player: Clean Pants

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:32 am

If he wants to support Colt, how about bringing in some WRs?

He must be delusional, I see a 3rd place team in the AFC North.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby mattvan1 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:05 pm

SoulDawg74 wrote:Colt will be given full support .

Of other notes .

Holmgren claimed the team got 334 years younger this offseason , kudos mistero , you called it first.

http://sportsradiointerviews.com/2011/0 ... colt-mcco/

SoulDawg

Full disclosure - I did not listen to the audio.

I did read the text - 3 times. Not once did I read "we will compete" Compete for what? Third place in the AFC as CDT notes above?

All I read was IF blah blah blah IF blah blah blah IF blah blah blah "I think we have a chance to be a much better football team"

I would hope so.

5 home wins and a .500% record against the AFC North and 8-8 would be a huge success in my book.
I don't need to be patient, they're going to be shit forever.
- CDT, discussing my favorite NFL team
mattvan1

Unread postby Triple-S » Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:09 pm

mattvan1 wrote: 5 home wins and a .500% record against the AFC North and 8-8 would be a huge success in my book.

Add, "Discovering McCoy to be "The Guy"" to that as well.

oh, and what the hell. Knocking off the Steelers in week 17. I wish the Browns could defend their house from the vermin.

ain't thinking playoffs though.
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories

Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Unread postby mattvan1 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:17 pm

jta1975 wrote:Tampa.....the rule or the exception....you pick

Not sure Pat Shurmur = Raheem Morris
I don't need to be patient, they're going to be shit forever.
- CDT, discussing my favorite NFL team
mattvan1

Unread postby FUDU » Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:21 pm

Of course the FO guys will say they expect to compete, they're not going to say we don't expect to...

But bottom line is these guys know their chances going in, and IMO do allow a season to be thrown away when their chances are slim to begin with.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby Govbarney » Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:26 pm

I can't recall a Front Office type or coach in the history of Pro Sports who has ever said: "You know I think we are going to play like shit this year, if your smart you wont bother buying tickets"
"I don't think they're building chemical weapons in Berea. But they might be. I can't say for sure."
Chuck Klosterman
Govbarney

Favorite Player: Smallmouth Bass
Least Favorite Player: Sheephead

Unread postby SoulDawg74 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:28 pm

Govbarney wrote:I can't recall a Front Office type or coach in the history of Pro Sports who has ever said: "You know I think we are going to play like shit this year, if your smart you wont bother buying tickets"

SD:

I dunno , after Savages we're looking for singles instead of homeruns and Rac's mumblings followed by Mangini's button button whose seen the button QB carousel or refusal to answer a simple question likeOn the expectations for the team: like if the grass on the playing field is green or not .

Holmgren's enthusisam is damn near like listening to Muhamad Ali calling his shots before the fight , by comparison.

“Well I suppose I’m never satisfied until we start winning some more games. We didn’t win enough games last year. How about this stat? We went from one of the oldest teams in football to one of the youngest and we lost 331 years. We’re a young team and now having said that we’re going to have some growing pains, but I think looking back on my year I don’t question my decision to retain Eric (Mangini) and those guys. I thought long and hard about it. The fact that then I had to make the change I suppose if I made it right away you could say we’d be a year ahead but I had reasons for not doing it and that’s the way it is. Now we have to kinda get going again but I like the way our team is functioning. We have these young people that are going to be good. Tom Heckert does a great job in personnel. I mean he really is good. The really good thing I did was surround myself with really smart guys and they can really do the job.”

How disappointed he would be if the Browns don’t make strides this year:

“I would be disappointed if we didn’t make a jump Dave but we’ll see. I’m not one to predict those things as you well know. I think if we don’t get hurt and Colt can’t stay in and not get injured, which is a huge thing, and he can have a full year of growing and playing the game, I think we have a chance to be a much better football team. That’s my hope anyway.”
"""

SoulDawg
SoulDawg74

Unread postby Prosecutor » Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:45 am

The fact that then I had to make the change I suppose if I made it right away you could say we’d be a year ahead but I had reasons for not doing it and that’s the way it is. Now we have to kinda get going again

At least he's honest about setting the development curve back a year by keeping Mangini.

He didn't really say he expects to compete, either.

I think we have a chance to be a much better football team. That’s my hope anyway.

It's more "hope" than "expectation" at this point. When he admits the main goal is to keep the QB healthy and enable him to "have a full year of growing and playing the game", you know it's a rebuilding year.

It's going to take good health and a whole lot to go right for this team to be 8-8, even with a fairly weak schedule. The lack of depth on the DL and at linebacker is freaking scary. And I don't know if we have wide receivers who can get the kind of quick separation required in this offense.
Prosecutor
Plutonian Outliers

Unread postby SoulDawg74 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 4:50 pm

"Prosecutor"]The fact that then I had to make the change I suppose if I made it right away you could say we’d be a year ahead but I had reasons for not doing it and that’s the way it is. Now we have to kinda get going again

At least he's honest about setting the development curve back a year by keeping Mangini.

SD:

Never said that he said that he said that

.........so there , neener neener neener.

]I think we have a chance to be a much better football team. That’s my hope anyway.

It's more "hope" than "expectation" at this point. When he admits the main goal is to keep the QB healthy and enable him to "have a full year of growing and playing the game", you know it's a rebuilding year.

It's going to take good health and a whole lot to go right for this team to be 8-8, even with a fairly weak schedule. The lack of depth on the DL and at linebacker is freaking scary. And I don't know if we have wide receivers who can get the kind of quick separation required in this offense.

SD:

We were 5-11 last year , our opponents strengthened themselves
with offseason free agent signings including pissburgh who notoriously destains such signings , or even paying their own guys big contracts like they just gave Woodley .

Yet Holmgren seemed undeterred , so he's not buying into or selling your young QB built in excuse ,by inference ,the only way they" can make a jump " ie improve on last year is to line up and competitively compete .............now.

SoulDawg
SoulDawg74

Unread postby Prosecutor » Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:20 pm

SD: Never said that he said that he said that

Sorry, I must have misinterpreted the title of the thread - "Holmgren expects to compete." My bad.

with offseason free agent signings including pissburgh who notoriously destains such signings , or even paying their own guys big contracts like they just gave Woodley .

Pissburgh is our opponent for only 2 out of 16 games. The Ravens will still be better than us even though they had to cut some aging vets. The Bengals without Palmer should be worse. The other 10 games look easier than last year's gauntlet which included New England, New Orleans, Atlanta, and Tampa Bay.

I expect the Browns to do better than 5-11 as they've added some talent but haven't lost anybody significant unless you're a big fan of Delhomme, St. Clair, Bell, Barton, Bowens, Roth, Wright, Rogers, Trusnik, Elam, etc. OK, they lost Vickers but he doesn't fit in this offense and they lost Hodges, but otherwise the personnel should be better, especially the DL. With decent health, especially on defense, I can see 8-8 being realistic.
Prosecutor
Plutonian Outliers

Unread postby SoulDawg74 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:31 pm

Prosecutor wrote:

SD: Never said that he said that he said that

Sorry, I must have misinterpreted the title of the thread - "Holmgren expects to compete." My bad.

Pissburgh is our opponent for only 2 out of 16 games. The Ravens will still be better than us even though they had to cut some aging vets. The Bengals without Palmer should be worse. The other 10 games look easier than last year's gauntlet which included New England, New Orleans, Atlanta, and Tampa Bay.

I expect the Browns to do better than 5-11 as they've added some talent but haven't lost anybody significant unless you're a big fan of Delhomme, St. Clair, Bell, Barton, Bowens, Roth, Wright, Rogers, Trusnik, Elam, etc. OK, they lost Vickers but he doesn't fit in this offense and they lost Hodges, but otherwise the personnel should be better, especially the DL. With decent health, especially on defense, I can see 8-8 being realistic.

SD:

8-8 would be a better record , but it wouldn't give us jack pitootie .

The difference between 6-10 and 10-6 right inbetween your comfort zone , is a half dozen dropped passes untimely drops or giving up 14 consecutive 2nd half leads ala Mangy and the 5-11 non offense.

We could be just as much an improved team at 6-10 in our division as an 8-8 mediocre record would reflect .

Gimme the 10-6 and all the breaks you have to get to transform that 6 win team to a ten win contingent like with RAC and DA
for $500 puhlease.

SoulDawg
SoulDawg74

Return to Cleveland Browns & The NFL