Text Size

Cleveland Indians & MLB

Alex White isn't that sad to be gone.

Talk Tribe, talk baseball in this forum.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, paulcousineau

Re: Alex White isn't that sad to be gone.

Unread postby Kingpin74 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:21 pm

No doubt kids are a different animal. There's a reason I have no plans on having any.

And yeah, this is why I was so impressed by the Browns lakefront development plans. Somebody needs to do something there, it's a damn joke the city has been developed as it has.

It's almost like someone tried to bungle our waterfront as badly as possible.

"To really screw things up, we need to put several places on the lakefront whose location literally would not matter Downtown....how about a private airport, a science museum, the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, a closed in NFL stadium, a shipyard, and two government office buildings!! We can also add some Section 8 housing projects but that might be too obvious. Let's save those for Ohio City and Tremont."
"Well then I guess there's only one thing left to do...win the whole, f***in', thing."- Jake Taylor
Kingpin74

Favorite Player: Mario Lemieux
Least Favorite Player: Dwight Howard

Unread postby Lokais » Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:39 pm

Kingpin74 wrote:My only point (and it's a tired one) is that I get annoyed by the national meme that it's so crappy here. Is it just a legitimate opinion from the 70's and 80's that lazily survived today? I just meant that there are other similar cities that you never hear too much about because they're kept in context.

And Pittsburgh is very nice and seems to be considered as such nationally. But I think that beyond a much better showcasing of their waterfront, it's a pretty comparable place to here when you get down to it (non-glamorous but functional downtown, cold weather, nice suburbs, great people, etc.)

To be fair, a lot of places probably never think of Cleveland ever. It's like when you're in school and something embarrassing happens to you and you think everyone knows about it. But then no one notices until you start talking about it.

And every city has stupid stereotypes. There are plenty of people, possibly right here on this board, who think New York is still super dangerous and gritty.
Lokais

Unread postby bookelly » Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:46 am

There are shitty parts of every city and nice parts of every city. With the advent of draconian DUI laws it's pretty hard to get a downtown vibe going without excellent public transportation (see New York, Chicago, San Fran, Boston, Washington, Portland, Seattle) In Los Angeles, development of our downtown scene blew up just after our subway system was built (though stupidly they shut down the line at 1:00am - one hour before bars close. *facepalm). Most sane people who go out to enjoy nightlife like to do so near home or not have to drive.

/also not saying draconian DUI laws are bad, just a fact.
//In Cali, you might as well just go ahead and shoot yerself if you get caught.
Nobody, I mean nobody, voluntarily becomes a Cleveland sports fan.

"This team could fuck up a ham sandwich." -CDT
bookelly
Happy Easter!!

Favorite Player: My bunny hunny
Least Favorite Player: Elmer Fudd

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:57 am

Ehhhh.... I'm not into big city life at all. Too crowded and too noisy. I like peace and quiet, not listening to some dickface argue with his girlfriend in another language. I don't want to hear honking horns and car alarms that go off when the wind blows hard.

I'm not even really than fond of the suburbs. The farther I am away from people I don't know, the better. I may be mildly Agoraphobic, but I like going to sports games and don't mind crowded bars or concerts. The idea of having to walk down a packed NYC sidewalk makes my head hurt. I'd need a cattle prod.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby gotribe31 » Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:19 am

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:Ehhhh.... I'm not into big city life at all. Too crowded and too noisy. I like peace and quiet, not listening to some dickface argue with his girlfriend in another language. I don't want to hear honking horns and car alarms that go off when the wind blows hard.

I'm not even really than fond of the suburbs. The farther I am away from people I don't know, the better. I may be mildly Agoraphobic, but I like going to sports games and don't mind crowded bars or concerts. The idea of having to walk down a packed NYC sidewalk makes my head hurt. I'd need a cattle prod.

Agree completely. I was in NYC a couple weeks ago for work, and had to stay in Times Square. If I didn't have agoraphobia before, I sure do now. I honestly don't understand how many people can physically occupy the same space at the same time like that.
You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves
-----Abe Lincoln

Let me tell you, if any of you douchebag empty headed stuffed suit nanny politicians tries to fuck with my bacon, I’m going after you like a crazed chimpanzee on bath salts.
-----Lars
gotribe31

Favorite Player: Francisco Lindor
Least Favorite Player: Michigan

Unread postby gotribe31 » Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:24 am

e0y2e3 wrote:No doubt kids are a different animal. There's a reason I have no plans on having any.

No one will sleep with you?
You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves
-----Abe Lincoln

Let me tell you, if any of you douchebag empty headed stuffed suit nanny politicians tries to fuck with my bacon, I’m going after you like a crazed chimpanzee on bath salts.
-----Lars
gotribe31

Unread postby Larvell Blanks » Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:21 am

Kingpin74 wrote:
I live in the suburbs so I might be the wrong person to opine on this subject. I just think the swipes at our downtown are overblown. We have pretty much any entertainment option you would want (aside from a hardcore clubbing or live music scene, which I couldn't care less about), the restaurants are really good and stand up nationally, and it's as safe in the popular areas as most comparable cities. I mean, how many really thriving downtowns are there in America right now? Probably no more than 15.

There are literally 2 streets to hang out in downtown. West 6th and East 4th, everything else is D-E-A-D. The Gateway area is busy on game mights but that's it. Excellent restaurants like One Walnut close b/c there is no other businesses/bars in the area to attract people. There's no other reason to go downtown other than to eat or go to the bar. No retail spots to bring people down earlier in the day. That's a big reason why people aren't living downtown, no retail, no place to buy groceries, no real public transportation, etc. Most thriving downtown cities are spread out throughout the city, not concentrated on one or two areas.

The lakefront is totally underdeveloped. When the Rock Hall and Science Museum went up so should have retail and entertainment. It's a shame that people visit the Rock Hall then go looking for someplace to eat and wind up eating at the Food Court in the Galleria. No one had the vision to maybe include a Hard Rock Cafe next to the Rock Hall. Instead it's dying a slow death as one of the anchors of The Tower City dollar Mall. Hell, they could've kept Captain Franks going down there.
Galley Boys are slop on top of a so-so burger and a bun you coulde get from a Covneninet food mart generic pack. They the Antoine Joubert of burgers; soft, sloppy, oozing grease and cheap sauce and extremely overrated by a biased fan base. Proof that if you throw enough cheap sauce shit on a burger you still can't overcome the lame burger. -JB
Larvell Blanks

Favorite Player: Foots Walker
Least Favorite Player: un named sources

Unread postby WiscTribeFan » Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:22 am

gotribe31 wrote:
Cerebral_DownTime wrote:Ehhhh.... I'm not into big city life at all. Too crowded and too noisy. I like peace and quiet, not listening to some dickface argue with his girlfriend in another language. I don't want to hear honking horns and car alarms that go off when the wind blows hard.

Agree completely. I was in NYC a couple weeks ago for work, and had to stay in Times Square. If I didn't have agoraphobia before, I sure do now. I honestly don't understand how many people can physically occupy the same space at the same time like that.

Go to Tokyo. Makes NYC seem calm, serene and uncrowded.

As for White's comments, it is what it is. He hasn't spent enough time outside of the minors to really know what it's all about anywhere. Denver is nice, I lived out there for a bit, miss it a lot. There are also part of Denver that you'd not want to drive into late at night as well. The difference is that even on a shitty day, you can look west at the mountains, which makes for a nice way to drive home. There's a bit more living space in the downtown area, but it's not like Denver is Chicago or NYC in terms of cultural events or the hustle and bustle. Most folks like living out there for the mountains, which are a few hours drive from the metro Denver area. It's not like they are clamoring to head into downtown Denver on a regular basis. LoDo is nice, but it's dead on days the Rockies aren't playing.

Chances are he'll be spending some quality time in Colorado Springs (which is also nice) before spending time in Denver. He's a young kid who probably wasn't expecting to be dealt. I'd imagine the management was telling him all along how much they valued him and that he was going to be a huge part of the organization's future, blah, blah, blah. He still had that warm-and-fuzzy about being a professional and never thought that he'd be dealt. How many of us really thought they'd consider trading him?
Don't go away mad, just go away.
WiscTribeFan
Mook

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby Lokais » Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:51 am

gotribe31 wrote:

Well yeah, go to the biggest tourist area and be surprised that it is packed with tourists. You know how often I go to Times Square? I live in Brooklyn where there are plenty of streets that look like this:

And I work in the West Village, where there are not crowded sidewalks and it looks like this:

So once again, I say before you start asking people to stop stereotyping your city, make sure you're not doing it to other cities.
Lokais

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:55 am

^ I was gonna say something about that then I decided against it. Times Square is a death trap. Then I was gonna make fun of gotribe for being gotribe and decided I needed coffee first.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby Orenthal » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:19 am

But, uh, to me it just seemed like he wants to live is the Unabomber's shack with CDT. That he hates people, not just NYC.
"When a man with money meets a man with experience, the man with experience leaves with money and the man with money leaves with experience."
Orenthal

Favorite Player: Dan Gilbert
Least Favorite Player: Blacks, Gays, Poor

Unread postby WiscTribeFan » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:21 am

I can see the muggers in those pictures. They are just hiding really well.

;-) ;) :wink:

You are correct, every city has it's stereotypes, and in certain circumstances, in certain places, they are accurate. I knew a lot of Polish people who wore white socks with sandals who had colored chrome balls in their front yards growing up in Parma, but not all of us did!
WiscTribeFan
Mook

Unread postby Orenthal » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:25 am

Just imagine the amount of bird dirt that would be on yer car. NYC sucks. Best LOCATION IN THE NATION. Alex White isn't white, random non-sense to fit e0's template, and bring the world back into balance.
"When a man with money meets a man with experience, the man with experience leaves with money and the man with money leaves with experience."
Orenthal

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:33 am

Orenthal wrote:But, uh, to me it just seemed like he wants to live is the Unabomber's shack with CDT. That he hates people, not just NYC.

I'm not the Unabomber, I swear. Although I rock aviators and a hood sometimes.

I like having a back yard, and not living on 17354Th street. The house i'm trying to buy, is an old farmhouse with plenty of land to shoot my guns and have good time without bothering anybody. However the real estate guy said in a voice mail "just so you know, the previous owners said the house was haunted *pause* But not by anything mean". So i've got that going for me.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby FUDU » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:39 am

Maybe eio lived there.

Every place has a touch of overrated & underrated ness to it. Crowds do suck and that is a fact.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Unread postby WiscTribeFan » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:40 am

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:
Orenthal wrote:But, uh, to me it just seemed like he wants to live is the Unabomber's shack with CDT. That he hates people, not just NYC.

I like having a back yard, and not living on 17354Th street. The house i'm trying to buy, is an old farmhouse with plenty of land to shoot my guns and have good time without bothering anybody. However the real estate guy said in a voice mail "just so you know, the previous owners said the house was haunted *pause* But not by anything mean". So i've got that going for me.

I see dead people.
WiscTribeFan
Mook

Unread postby Lokais » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:40 am

FUDU wrote:Maybe eio lived there.

Every place has a touch of overrated & underrated ness to it. Crowds do suck and that is a fact.

Crowds suck for sure, but living in a super diverse place is appealing to me. I guess not to everyone, though, which is somewhat unfortunate for a country like America.
Lokais

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:42 am

To be fair, if you live on the same mountain as CDT your neighbor is as weird as the weirdest NYC has to offer.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby FUDU » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:43 am

WiscTribeFan wrote:
Cerebral_DownTime wrote:

I see dead people.

Well done.

FUDU

Unread postby FUDU » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:46 am

Lokais wrote:
FUDU wrote:Maybe eio lived there.

Crowds suck for sure, but living in a super diverse place is appealing to me. I guess not to everyone, though, which is somewhat unfortunate for a country like America.

Diversity is fine but a crowd is a crowd regardless. And not to get off track but it is also good that if one isn't into living among a significantly diverse crowd that America fits the bill for that as well. Plenty of room for to each his own in this country.

FUDU

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:52 am

I might be weird, but i'm not even close to the crazy homeless people that run around big cities. They shit their pants and talk to stop signs.

And I swear to God that any ghost fuck with my shit i'm gonna chase it around with a fucking claw hammer..... which will probably lead to my divorce.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby WiscTribeFan » Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:36 am

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I might be weird, but i'm not even close to the crazy homeless people that run around big cities. They shit their pants and talk to stop signs.

And I swear to God that any ghost fuck with my shit i'm gonna chase it around with a fucking claw hammer..... which will probably lead to my divorce.

If you are chasing 'ghosts' around your house with a claw hammer, divorce is probably going to be the least of your problems.
WiscTribeFan
Mook

Unread postby Orenthal » Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:50 am

Out of all yer guns you don't have a Proton Pack?
Orenthal

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:11 pm

Orenthal wrote:Out of all yer guns you don't have a Proton Pack?

This is no time for jokes. Ghosts are a serious problem in this country. If more than one beer goes missing, i'm getting the hammer. Bottom line.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby gotribe31 » Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:52 pm

Yeah, I wasn't picking on NYC in particular, just referencing it because I was just there. I live in the "suburbs" of DC, and I don't like it here either. I can't stand going anywere on the weekends. Simple errands take forever because of traffic, crowds, and idiots. I grew up in Newburry and then Aurora, OH and would happily live there forever if I could do the kind of work I'm in from there.
-----Abe Lincoln

-----Lars
gotribe31

Unread postby GodHatesClevelandSport » Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:59 pm

How do you know they are arguing if it is a different language?

The appropriate response to Alex White was posted on Twitter by this guy:

@SmoknJoe7 Joe Becerra
Alex White or Ubaldo Jimenez, Alex White or Ubaldo Jimenez? Lets be honest, ill take Ubaldo. With the exception of Drew Pomeranz

Besides that, all the wailing and gnashing of teeth I saw on Twitter from people whining over what Alex White wrote does invites much more ridicule than Alex White saying he likes his new city better.
GodHatesClevelandSport

Favorite Player: Joe Smith
Least Favorite Player: Joe Smith

Unread postby Ziner » Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:30 pm

WiscTribeFan wrote:
Chances are he'll be spending some quality time in Colorado Springs (which is also nice) before spending time in Denver.

Colorado Springs sucks. Unless you are a pastor of a mega church or forced to by the military there is absolutely no reason to live in that city with Denver so close.
In the end, we're all "only for a limited time," you guys.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Favorite Player: Tater Tots
Least Favorite Player: Yam Fries

Unread postby Orenthal » Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:06 pm

gotribe31 wrote:

Yeah, I wasn't picking on NYC in particular, just referencing it because I was just there. I live in the "suburbs" of DC, and I don't like it here either. I can't stand going anywere on the weekends. Simple errands take forever because of traffic, crowds, and idiots. I grew up in Newburry and then Aurora, OH and would happily live there forever if I could do the kind of work I'm in from there.

I agree both with you and CDT. The more I have to strain to see my neigbor the happier I am. Keep me within' an hour of a decent sized city and I'm :nanner: .
Orenthal

Unread postby Rat_Tail » Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:31 pm

Ubaldo seemed to be pretty happy/excited after being traded to Cleveland. I'm more concerned with that.

Victor Martinez bawled his eyes out after being traded to the Red Sox.

Maybe White will end up eating those words.
Cleveland is the city where we come from so run run
Rat_Tail
Take Me Back To 2007

Favorite Player: Pronk
Least Favorite Player: Marson

Unread postby dazindiansfanuk » Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:33 pm

FWIW Alex White made his debut for the AA Tulsa Drillers today: - 1IP, 3H, 3R/ER, K, HR
dazindiansfanuk
Tyner Is God

Favorite Player: Jhonny Peralta
Least Favorite Player: Curt Schilling

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:36 pm

dazindiansfanuk wrote:FWIW Alex White made his debut for the AA Tulsa Drillers today: - 1IP, 3H, 3R/ER, K, HR

Are they really called the drillers?
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby Dellucci TailGator » Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:37 pm

Tulsa, huh? Serves him right that he has to spend a few days there as penance. Too bad their Double-A team isn't in Bismark.
Dellucci TailGator

Favorite Player: Derek Lilliquist
Least Favorite Player: Matt LaPorta

Unread postby FortheWin » Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:42 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:
dazindiansfanuk wrote:FWIW Alex White made his debut for the AA Tulsa Drillers today: - 1IP, 3H, 3R/ER, K, HR

Are they really called the drillers?

Yes
DON'T QUIT
FortheWin

Favorite Player: Asdrubal Cabrera
Least Favorite Player: .

Unread postby OldDawg » Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:50 am

gotribe31 wrote:
e0y2e3 wrote:No doubt kids are a different animal. There's a reason I have no plans on having any.

No one will sleep with you?

Even tho your laptop sits on your lap, it doesn't have the appropriate port for this?
"The nose of the bulldog has been slanted backwards so that he can breathe without letting go." -- Winston Churchill
OldDawg

Favorite Player: Mark Price
Least Favorite Player: LePunk Jims

Unread postby DeanSheen » Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:07 am

e0y2e3 wrote:Naw, Pittsburg is a much nicer city. You are living in delusion if you think the city itself is even comprable to Cleveland. And downtown Cleveland is barely even a city when you consider the lack of development, people living there, economy, etc. It reminds me of Hartford, a shell that people go to work at or to watch a game at then leave.

And you sound just like every other person who does not live here yet opines about the status of the local area.

There is a growing population in downtown, apartments are scarce and more are being built to satisfy demand. There are billions in development dollars pouring into this city in the next 3 years and most of it is all going downtown.

And there is most definitively downtown bars and restaurant that would not exist if you assertion were true because they make a good chunk of their yearly sales as a direct result of sports fans.

In addition Cleveland is comparable to Pittsburgh in every way and matches it on most levels.
I met my Spergon Wynn's mom once in a bar in Houston. It was a little awkward.
DeanSheen

Favorite Player: Asdrubal
Least Favorite Player: Hafner

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:20 am

And you are making bullshit up, but hey be my guest.

The thriving Lakefront development and downtown living scene in Cleveland is certainly the stuff of legend.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Previous

Return to Cleveland Indians & MLB