Text Size

Cleveland Indians & MLB

Carrasco suspended for 6 games

Talk Tribe, talk baseball in this forum.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, paulcousineau

Carrasco suspended for 6 games

Unread postby British_Pharaoh » Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:15 pm

CLEVELAND (AP)—Cleveland Indians pitcher Carlos Carrasco(notes) has been suspended six games and fined for throwing at Kansas City’s Billy Butler(notes).

Carrasco was ejected in the fourth inning of Friday night’s game after he threw a ball at Butler’s head. Carrasco had just given up a grand slam to Melky Cabrera(notes) and took out his frustration on Butler, who managed to avoid the rising fastball.

The Indians said Monday that Carrasco will appeal his suspension and undisclosed fine and plans to start Wednesday night in Boston.

“It’s standard when that happens. He’s appealing and he’s going to be able to pitch here,” Cleveland manager Manny Acta said at Fenway Park before his team’s scheduled game against the Red Sox.

Carrasco said he was upset that Cabrera stood at home plate and admired his homer, but denied the pitch to Butler was intentional.

Yahoo! Sports
"There is but one thing of real value: to cultivate truth and justice and to live without anger in the midst of lying and unjust men"

-Marcus Aurelius
British_Pharaoh
Tony Sipp IS HERE!

Favorite Player: Michael Brantley
Least Favorite Player: Alexei Ramirez

Re: Carrasco suspended for 6 games

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:40 am

Weaver got 6 too, I know someone in the game thread the other night was looking to see what MLB did. There should also be fallout from the Cards/Brewers debacle last night.

Frankly, missing one start isn't near enough punishment for throwing a ball at a dude's head on purpose. It should be 30 games MINIMUM. Like I said before, MLB pitchers are the biggest overpaid crybaby pussies in pro sports. You don't dare step on their inflated ego without violent retribution... but sadly MLB is run by morons.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby redneckofsc » Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:17 am

I bet it gets reduced to 4 games. That is what usually happens.

Doesnt matter anyways. Huff is pitching better than Carrasco.
"I kill a communist for fun, but for a green card, I gonna carve him up real nice."

"All I have in this world is my balls and my word and I don't break them for no one."
redneckofsc
The Ultimate Grinder

Favorite Player: Wil Cordero
Least Favorite Player: Matt LaPorta

Unread postby Adverb Harry » Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:30 am

I'd say what Weaver did was at least a little more defensible, considering the circumstances. No excuse for Carrasco whatsoever...that was bush league.

I'm probably not adding things up right, but why is Huff getting sent down if Carrasco is going to miss at least one start? Who pitches when it's his turn again?
Adverb Harry

Favorite Player: Jason Kipnis
Least Favorite Player: Ubaldo, Bud Selig

Unread postby Bigfist » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:20 am

I am wondering what happens if Carrasco throws another stinker today? Might we see a convenient injury to land him on the DL..and Huff recalled?
Bigfist

Favorite Player: AJ Griffin
Least Favorite Player: Jeff Juden

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:22 am

Adverb Harry wrote:I'd say what Weaver did was at least a little more defensible, considering the circumstances. No excuse for Carrasco whatsoever...that was bush league.

I'm probably not adding things up right, but why is Huff getting sent down if Carrasco is going to miss at least one start? Who pitches when it's his turn again?

It was the same shit, throwing at a guy who didn't do anything. Butler didn't do anything, Avila didn't do anything.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby Adverb Harry » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:56 am

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:
Adverb Harry wrote:I'd say what Weaver did was at least a little more defensible, considering the circumstances. No excuse for Carrasco whatsoever...that was bush league.

It was the same shit, throwing at a guy who didn't do anything. Butler didn't do anything, Avila didn't do anything.

I agree with you on that point. What I meant was that Weaver was pissed about a player on the other team showing him up. Carrasco was just pissed about how badly he was pitching. If Weaver just had to retaliate, he should have waited till Guillen came up again. Throwing at someone's head isn't the answer, though. Throwing behind them sends the same message without the possibility of killing them.
Adverb Harry

Unread postby redneckofsc » Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:17 am

Adverb Harry wrote:
Cerebral_DownTime wrote:

I agree with you on that point. What I meant was that Weaver was pissed about a player on the other team showing him up. Carrasco was just pissed about how badly he was pitching. If Weaver just had to retaliate, he should have waited till Guillen came up again. Throwing at someone's head isn't the answer, though. Throwing behind them sends the same message without the possibility of killing them.

Cabrera stood in the box and admired his HR, that is what pissed Carrasco off.
"I kill a communist for fun, but for a green card, I gonna carve him up real nice."

"All I have in this world is my balls and my word and I don't break them for no one."
redneckofsc
The Ultimate Grinder

Unread postby Adverb Harry » Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:13 pm

redneckofsc wrote:
Adverb Harry wrote:
Cerebral_DownTime wrote:

Cabrera stood in the box and admired his HR, that is what pissed Carrasco off.

Yeah, you're right. I had forgotten about that in light of how poorly he was already pitching. At least Guillen's performance was way worse than Cabrera, but showboating is showboating. Doesn't make retaliation right, but that's how it goes. The pitchers should at least keep their emotions in check until the offending batter comes to the plate again, but at least in Carrasco's case, he probably would have been yanked long before that, anyway!
Adverb Harry

Unread postby Am I Here Again? » Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:17 pm

Bigfist wrote:I am wondering what happens if Carrasco throws another stinker today? Might we see a convenient injury to land him on the DL..and Huff recalled?

Doesn't Huff have to spend ten days in Cols before he can get called up? In that case we won't see Huff for what could have been a start or two for him. Too bad - he's got the brains and balls to stay up here compared to Carrasco.
I've tried 'em all, I really have, and the only church that truly feeds the soul, day in, day out, is the Church of Baseball.~~~Annie Savoy-"Bull Durham"
Am I Here Again?
Tribe-a-Holic

Favorite Player: Sam McDowell
Least Favorite Player: Any Red Sox or Yank

Unread postby Bigfist » Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:26 pm

Am I Here Again? wrote:
Bigfist wrote:I am wondering what happens if Carrasco throws another stinker today? Might we see a convenient injury to land him on the DL..and Huff recalled?

Doesn't Huff have to spend ten days in Cols before he can get called up? In that case we won't see Huff for what could have been a start or two for him. Too bad - he's got the brains and balls to stay up here compared to Carrasco.

Huff could be recalled more quickly than ten days if there was an "injury" to a pitcher and said pitcher was placed on the DL. That is the one exception to the rule that a player has to spend ten days in the minors if demoted. Actually happened earlier this year with Travis Buck.

I guess that is why I wondered aloud about Carrasco...if he pitches poorly today, will he develop an "injury"?
Bigfist

Favorite Player: AJ Griffin
Least Favorite Player: Jeff Juden

Unread postby skatingtripods » Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:31 pm

Am I Here Again? wrote:

As I posted in the other thread, we don't need a 5th starter until August 13.

In which case, Huff would have spent his required 10 days down and could be recalled to pitch on the 13th.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby redneckofsc » Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:02 pm

Carascco apparently dropped his appeal, so he will serve his 6 days. Since we are off Monday, it should not affect anything.

redneckofsc
The Ultimate Grinder

Unread postby WiscTribeFan » Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:09 pm

It's 6 games, not days.

If he dropped his appeal, is he still pitching tonight, or does it take effect today?
Don't go away mad, just go away.
WiscTribeFan
Mook

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby redneckofsc » Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:30 pm

WiscTribeFan wrote:It's 6 games, not days.

If he dropped his appeal, is he still pitching tonight, or does it take effect today?

"Cleveland Indians right-hander Carlos Carrasco will drop his appeal of a six-game suspension after he starts against the Boston Red Sox on Wednesday night"

That is from ESPN.

redneckofsc
The Ultimate Grinder

Unread postby GodHatesClevelandSport » Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:49 pm

So Masterson starts Tuesday on regular rest. Carrasco's spot in the rotation is skipped. Suspension is meaningless.
GodHatesClevelandSport

Favorite Player: Joe Smith
Least Favorite Player: Joe Smith

Unread postby redneckofsc » Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:11 pm

GodHatesClevelandSport wrote:So Masterson starts Tuesday on regular rest. Carrasco's spot in the rotation is skipped. Suspension is meaningless.

Yes, this is MLB.

redneckofsc
The Ultimate Grinder

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:14 pm

redneckofsc wrote:
GodHatesClevelandSport wrote:So Masterson starts Tuesday on regular rest. Carrasco's spot in the rotation is skipped. Suspension is meaningless.

Yes, this is MLB.

50 games for using PEDs that don't hurt anyone, throwing at a dude's dome on purpose......meh no problem.

What a bunch of fucktards.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Return to Cleveland Indians & MLB