Text Size

Cleveland Indians & MLB

Tribe after Ianetta

Talk Tribe, talk baseball in this forum.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, paulcousineau

Tribe after Ianetta

Unread postby TribeinLA » Sun Jul 31, 2011 2:52 am

I was not going to start a separate thread, but this is getting crazy. Who all are we planning to give up to land him and possibly Ludwick? The move would make sense and I am betting we ship off either Marson or LaPorta in some crazy deal. There's just not enough room for Ianetta, Santana, Marson, and La Porta...is there? Santana is not even remotely ready to be an everyday catcher as we all know. Marson has better defense than Ianetta, but offensively, he's been as big a liability as Hannahan and Uncle no more Cabs.

So, what else do you think we have in store? This is a late-breaking tweet, although we kinda figured this...

The Indians and the Blue Jays are pursuing Rockies catcher Chris Iannetta heading into Sunday’s deadline, according to Bob Elliott of the Toronto Sun. Iannetta has also received mild interest from the Padres and Red Sox this week.

The Pirates were also looking into the 28-year-old but their interest has apparently dropped off. Iannetta is hitting .221/.375/.402 with 10 homers this season.
TribeinLA

Favorite Player: Asdrubal Cabrera
Least Favorite Player: Josh Beckett

Re: Tribe after Ianetta

Unread postby YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! » Sun Jul 31, 2011 3:00 am

He's pretty average defensively but he ranks 7th among all catchers in OBP. He's hitting .221 but he'd be an upgrade over Marson. Walks at a really high rate too. If we can get him for cheap I'd be completely for it. Add him and Ludwick possibly and you're looking at Ianetta, Chiz, AsCab, Kip, Santana, Ludwick, Brantley, Fuku, Hafner as our offense? Isn't TOO bad, not good by any means but better than we were a week ago.
YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES!

Unread postby TribeinLA » Sun Jul 31, 2011 3:07 am

The front office is going above and beyond. I would have to see who we'd be giving up for each, but damn Ant has some major balls. Shapiro would have never.

I guess whether we get either or both, you can say good-bye to one of our backend guys. It only makes sense. R Perez, me thinks, won't be here but for a few more hours. Unless, we can convince them that Frank Hermann is going to be a hall of famer when he "matures".
TribeinLA

Favorite Player: Asdrubal Cabrera
Least Favorite Player: Josh Beckett

Unread postby andrew6586 » Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:32 am

Why didn't we just include him in the deal for UJ? We could have thrown in Marson as a part of the deal.
Once a fan, always a fan.
On Twitter @apac6586
andrew6586
Church of Asdrubal

Favorite Player: Kenny Lofton
Least Favorite Player: Mark Shapiro

Unread postby Adverb Harry » Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:41 am

Yeah...weird! I thought maybe that was part of the hang-up last night with the deal, but apparently not. Who knows what's going on!

At least we'll have a pretty clear picture of everything today by 4:01.
Adverb Harry

Favorite Player: Jason Kipnis
Least Favorite Player: Ubaldo, Bud Selig

Unread postby Symbolic47 » Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:47 am

Adding a guy like Ianetta makes alot of sense for this team this season, and next. I wouldn't suspect we would have to give up to much to get him either.
Symbolic47

Favorite Player: Santana
Least Favorite Player: Ubaldo

Unread postby peeker643 » Sun Jul 31, 2011 12:46 pm

andrew6586 wrote:Why didn't we just include him in the deal for UJ? We could have thrown in Marson as a part of the deal.

Either because the rumor is horseshit like 98% of them are or because you don't want every player involved at the mercy of one failed physical.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Return to Cleveland Indians & MLB