Text Size

Cleveland Indians & MLB

Indians Trade For Ubaldo Jimenez

Talk Tribe, talk baseball in this forum.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, paulcousineau

Re: Indians Trade For Ubaldo Jimenez

Unread postby dazindiansfanuk » Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:09 pm

skatingtripods wrote:The official Rockies Twitter just tweeted the trade.

No additional player with Jimenez. Have to imagine the OC deal was a precursor to some kind of UTIL IF move. Maybe Jamey Carroll!!

Or Jason Donald finally getting another chance.
dazindiansfanuk
Tyner Is God

Favorite Player: Jhonny Peralta
Least Favorite Player: Curt Schilling

Unread postby Dnthateonthepronk » Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:09 pm

skatingtripods wrote:The official Rockies Twitter just tweeted the trade.

No additional player with Jimenez. Have to imagine the OC deal was a precursor to some kind of UTIL IF move. Maybe Jamey Carroll!!

unfortunately I read earlier the Dodgers have pulled Carroll from the market

The Dodgers' talks about trading infielder Jamey Carroll have died, tweets Dylan Hernandez of the L.A. Times, while there's a touch of interest in Furcal. Paul Hoynes of the Cleveland Plain Dealer adds that the Dodgers' talks with the Indians have grown cold, so Carroll and Hiroki Kuroda won't be going to Cleveland.
Alex White: Just like School on Sunday......No Class.
Dnthateonthepronk

Favorite Player: Dan Marino
Least Favorite Player: Alex Rodriguez

Unread postby Bayou Tribe » Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:11 pm

phutatorius wrote:I'm just not sure that Ubaldo helps us more than Al White this year. He's got 11 or 12 chances to make a difference; White would have been back with us soon and probably could have given 9-10 starts.

You don't think that a healthy Jiminez (and he will be, because it is contingent on a physical) helps up more than Alex White coming off the DL? I respect your opinion, man, I just have to disagree strongly with that.
"Dammit you piss me off. I f#ckin hate you and I hope you f#cking get killed by a rabid polar bear you douche bag."

-- TIMMAH to CDT
Bayou Tribe
"Rickey wants to play baseball"

Favorite Player: Drew Brees
Least Favorite Player: Steve Smith

Unread postby FUDU » Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:11 pm

How many AB's is Ubaldo gonna get, 7 or 8 in October?
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby phutatorius » Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:18 pm

Bayou Tribe wrote:You don't think that a healthy Jiminez (and he will be, because it is contingent on a physical) helps up more than Alex White coming off the DL? I respect your opinion, man, I just have to disagree strongly with that.

White was pretty darn good. Is Ubaldo likely to be better? Sure. But I'm not convinced he'll be materially better. Even assuming Ubaldo is a run per game better than White, I'm not sure that run makes a difference with this offense.

Yeah, I'd like to see the guy catch fire, like CC and Lee did after their respective trades. That could give us a big lift, fer shurr. We'll see.
phutatorius

Unread postby JCoz » Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:23 pm

Glad they are checking him out, would love the trade if he is who he's supposed to be, but i'm in the suspitious camp regarding his health. Shouldnt be dropping MPH like that.
JCoz
Donnie, you're out of your element

Favorite Player: Competency
Least Favorite Player: Gene Smith

Unread postby googleeph2 » Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:24 pm

Doesn't this trade imply 'this offense' won't remain static? If they are all-in on a current window of contending, why would that not extend to the offense? Young guys should improve, and holes will be filled.
That doesn't seem like a stretch. I'm getting more pumped, the more I think about this trade.

I'd have loved to have heard Belcher's input over the last few days/weeks on this.
googleeph2

Favorite Player: Todd Beamer
Least Favorite Player: .

Unread postby skatingtripods » Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:26 pm

JCoz wrote:Glad they are checking him out, would love the trade if he is who he's supposed to be, but i'm in the suspitious camp regarding his health. Shouldnt be dropping MPH like that.

Bastian mentioned a hip flexor. If he can't drive off his push leg, he's going to lose velocity. I'm going to hope it's simply that and not an arm issue.

I'll admit I don't know which hip has the flexor, but this could easily explain a drop in velo.

That said, his K/9 is still the same as last year.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby pup » Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:34 pm

phutatorius wrote:
Bayou Tribe wrote:You don't think that a healthy Jiminez (and he will be, because it is contingent on a physical) helps up more than Alex White coming off the DL? I respect your opinion, man, I just have to disagree strongly with that.

White was pretty darn good. Is Ubaldo likely to be better? Sure. But I'm not convinced he'll be materially better. Even assuming Ubaldo is a run per game better than White, I'm not sure that run makes a difference with this offense.

Yeah, I'd like to see the guy catch fire, like CC and Lee did after their respective trades. That could give us a big lift, fer shurr. We'll see.

The anemic offense is exactly why one run a game is a significant difference.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby Adverb Harry » Sun Jul 31, 2011 12:17 am

The full physical greatly eases my concerns. We've been burned before with lesser deals for sore-armed pitchers (John Smiley, Ben McDonald, hell, even Jason Knapp), and I was very fearful of our first big trade in years being based on scouting reports, old medical files, and a lot of finger crossing. If he's reasonably healthy with no warning signs, the deal makes a lot more sense and is easier to swallow. I'm glad this stipulation was arranged...I wonder if that's Colorado's penalty for throwing him out there for an inning tonight. I was very concerned and skeptical of Colorado's motives in dealing him now, thinking they were trying to pull a fast one on somebody, which we couldn't (and can't) afford. Not at such a huge cost to us. That was my major concern and question tonight. This helps a lot.

Now, if they can get him to waive that clause giving him a player option for 2014 if he's traded, the deal becomes even more palatable.

(I still think Pomeranz will be very, very good a lot sooner than people expect, though.) :hide:
Adverb Harry

Favorite Player: Jason Kipnis
Least Favorite Player: Ubaldo, Bud Selig

Unread postby Am I Here Again? » Sun Jul 31, 2011 1:10 am

*phew* Started reading when this thread was a mere 175(!) posts long; glad there were only 'bout 3 dozen more tagged on during that time. Amazing how initial reports (which are quite often more conjecture than fact) can get us all crazy...and then when the whole story comes out there is a lot of backtracking. Hey, I'm the same way! In my Mom's words: Shoot first, ask questions later.Image

Anyway, two points I didn't see in this thread:
1) We have been "assured" by TPTB that Alex White's finger issue isn't the same as Adam Miller's. Maybe, maybe not. But once burned, twice shy. If he turns out to be a winner I'll worry about it then depending on what the Tribe has done in the meantime. If his finger blows up again...bonus, Tribe column.
2) Wasn't Detroit in the hunt for Baldy early on? If my rememberer is right then we just played the Red Sux/skankees kind of poker. Addition by subtraction. Since we are neck-and-neck with them in the race right now we've just taken one of their potential pieces of ammunition. (And if they weren't trying to get him - well, ignore #2).

All in all I think the trade has more upside than not. Of course, like most anything else in sports, it IS a crapshoot. Reference this exchange earlier:
Erie Warrior wrote:
e0y2e3 wrote:Yeah I think they have a ton of faith in Choo coming back, Santana continuing to develop, and Kip and Chiz next year.

Blind faith? Scary. I think I like it.

IMHO, the comment of the thread. If you are going to follow a team and not be the one in charge of the operation you have to have blind faith that things will work out. THAT, my friends, is being a sports fan - in a nutshell. Again, just my opinion, FWIW. Scary. Frustrating. Heart-stopping. Blue-streak-swearing. Adult-beverage-of-your-choice swilling. And in the end it is FUN! Gawd I love it!!! (inlove)
I've tried 'em all, I really have, and the only church that truly feeds the soul, day in, day out, is the Church of Baseball.~~~Annie Savoy-"Bull Durham"
Am I Here Again?
Tribe-a-Holic

Favorite Player: Sam McDowell
Least Favorite Player: Any Red Sox or Yank

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Sun Jul 31, 2011 1:15 am

I like the trade. As Tripods pointed out, White is damaged goods, and i've seen the what can happen to stud prospects with finger issues. No problem with that. Pomeranz might be greatm who knows. Would have loved to get Wiggz, but i'm fine with the deal.

I will say i'm mildly concerned about Ubaldo going from the NL, espeically the NL West with it's pitcher friendly ballparks to the AL with it's deeper lineup.

Time will tell, but I think this is win.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! » Sun Jul 31, 2011 1:20 am

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I like the trade. As Tripods pointed out, White is damaged goods, and i've seen the what can happen to stud prospects with finger issues. No problem with that. Pomeranz might be greatm who knows. Would have loved to get Wiggz, but i'm fine with the deal.

I will say i'm mildly concerned about Ubaldo going from the NL, espeically the NL West with it's pitcher friendly ballparks to the AL with it's deeper lineup.

Time will tell, but I think this is win.

I know this is almost entirely confined to the NL, and someone already pointed this out, but Ubaldo is 5th overall in ERA on the road since 2009, and 4th in FIP in that timespan. Again that is almost all in the NL but it sounds really good to hear that.

It sucks to lose Pomz, but I do appreciate the FO showing some balls and making a move.
YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES!

Unread postby Lokais » Sun Jul 31, 2011 1:21 am

They are 1/1 with Ubaldo "on" the team.
Lokais

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Sun Jul 31, 2011 1:25 am

YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! wrote:I know this is almost entirely confined to the NL, and someone already pointed this out, but Ubaldo is 5th overall in ERA on the road since 2009, and 4th in FIP in that timespan. Again that is almost all in the NL but it sounds really good to hear that.

What's FIP?
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sun Jul 31, 2011 1:26 am

metalhead9x9 wrote:Yeah, Ubaldo's had a proven track record and our two blue-chippers aren't sure things, but it'd be a bit more reassuring if Ubaldo hasn't lost some mph's on his fastball. Plus that funky delivery doesn't exactly scream longevity.

FTR: these are two real concerns. Things we all should worry about and things we have to put faith in our front office to handle. Also if they don't handle it, they are things that will possibly sink this club.

That said, you will notice that during Adverb_Melty's 80 post melt neither of these things were mentioned. Nor was levity taken.

Just sayin'
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Sun Jul 31, 2011 1:31 am

What's the worst that could happen?
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby TribeinLA » Sun Jul 31, 2011 1:41 am

Fwiw, Ludwick hit a double off of Jimenez tonight. Why couldn't they both get pulled and catch the same flight? They could have run off the field together.
TribeinLA

Favorite Player: Asdrubal Cabrera
Least Favorite Player: Josh Beckett

Unread postby YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! » Sun Jul 31, 2011 1:43 am

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:
YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! wrote:I know this is almost entirely confined to the NL, and someone already pointed this out, but Ubaldo is 5th overall in ERA on the road since 2009, and 4th in FIP in that timespan. Again that is almost all in the NL but it sounds really good to hear that.

What's FIP?

I'd be lying to you if I said I knew the in and outs of that statistic, but its a sabermetric one (you either love it or hate it). But it is adjusted to ERA and it adjusts for how good or bad a pitchers defense is. It stands for Fielding Independent Pitching. Pretty much accounts for everything a pitcher is in control of, regardless of how good or poor the defense is behind the pitcher.

Unread postby bookelly » Sun Jul 31, 2011 2:28 am

I've got a huge mancrush on Bat Masterson, bet when you watch a guy like Verlander... We just did not have a guy in our system who could go toe to toe with the Verlanders, Lee's, Halliday's, CC's of the playoff world. Now we do. Could Pomeranz be that guy? Certainly, and I hope he does make it to that level. But as was pointed out earlier, that level would have peaked way past the current 3-4 year window that has opened up for the club.

As far as Ubaldo's health, that is a real concern this year. But considering that he's probably not 100% right now and is still effective; it gives me hope in the next 3 years (apparently we control him thru 2014 per ESPN) we will see 100% Ubaldo. And that is just awesome.
Nobody, I mean nobody, voluntarily becomes a Cleveland sports fan.

"This team could fuck up a ham sandwich." -CDT
bookelly
Happy Easter!!

Favorite Player: My bunny hunny
Least Favorite Player: Elmer Fudd

Unread postby YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! » Sun Jul 31, 2011 2:32 am

bookelly wrote:I've got a huge mancrush on Bat Masterson, bet when you watch a guy like Verlander... We just did not have a guy in our system who could go toe to toe with the Verlanders, Lee's, Halliday's, CC's of the playoff world. Now we do. Could Pomeranz be that guy? Certainly, and I hope he does make it to that level. But as was pointed out earlier, that level would have peaked way past the current 3-4 year window that has opened up for the club.

As far as Ubaldo's health, that is a real concern this year. But considering that he's probably not 100% right now and is still effective; it gives me hope in the next 3 years (apparently we control him thru 2014 per ESPN) we will see 100% Ubaldo. And that is just awesome.

Since he was traded we only have control until 2013.

Unread postby Kingpin74 » Sun Jul 31, 2011 3:05 am

The trade itself is fine and I'm really glad this front office finally showed some guts. I'm just a little leery of going this big with a 53-51 team that's likely to be in 85-89 win territory again next year. The Central isn't always going to be this bad. But either way, we appeared to pay fair market value and it's fun to have our team land the big name for once.

And like Rob Neyer said, even if you stink next year, you flip Jimenez and recoup some prospects. Antonetti and his staff are professionals and their job is to evaluate moves like this. Let's hope they were right.
"Well then I guess there's only one thing left to do...win the whole, f***in', thing."- Jake Taylor
Kingpin74

Favorite Player: Mario Lemieux
Least Favorite Player: Dwight Howard

Unread postby bookelly » Sun Jul 31, 2011 3:35 am

1/27/09: Signed four-year, $10 million contract w/ 2013-14 club options. 2011: $2.8 million, 2012: $4.2 million, 2013: $5.75 million club option ($1M buyout), 2014: $8 million club option ($1 million buyout)
2014 option only if 2013 option is exercised (may void 2014 if traded)
2013 option increases to $6.75 million with 2012 Cy Young; $6.25 million with 2nd or 3rd place in 2013 Cy Young vote
2014 option increases to $9 million with 2013 Cy Young or 450 IP in 2012-13; $8.5 million with 2nd or 3rd place in 2013 Cy Young vote
Jimenez may void 2014 if traded
Performance bonuses: $50,000 each for 200, 210, 220, 230, 240 IP
Award bonuses: $100,000 for Cy Young ($50,000 for 2nd-5th in vote); $100,000 each for MVP, WS MVP; $75,000 for LCS MVP; $25,000 each for Gold Glove, All-Star selection

Ubaldo's contract. You are correct sir...he has the option to terminate in 2014 if traded.
Nobody, I mean nobody, voluntarily becomes a Cleveland sports fan.

"This team could fuck up a ham sandwich." -CDT
bookelly
Happy Easter!!

Favorite Player: My bunny hunny
Least Favorite Player: Elmer Fudd

Unread postby shamwow imitator » Sun Jul 31, 2011 6:15 am

Ubaldo to close the Boston series on Thursday night and Masterson to open the Texas series on Friday?? Jimenez to pitch Wednesday?? Any who...pumped for August :thumb up:
shamwow imitator

Favorite Player: Dick Jacobs
Least Favorite Player: Dolans

Unread postby YahooFanChicago » Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:42 am

This trade is some heavy, high risk shit. It's exciting though.

It certainly indicates that there really is a new sheriff in town and it aint Shapiro since I don't think Shap makes that trade if he was the GM. He must not have hated it though since he didn't veto it.

I think the front office must be pretty comfortable with their drafting strategy and recent selections and think the drafting success will continue. Otherwise I don't think they trade away their 2 best pitching prospects.

We really need to sign Howard now to restock the future starting pitching. He's a high ceiling guy and we don't have many of those left now.

We also need to trade for some offense now...otherwise I think we still don't make the playoffs or even if we do win a series.

Gee Miss Crabtree, you're even pretier 'n Miss McGuilacutty...
YahooFanChicago

Favorite Player: Miss Crabtree
Least Favorite Player: Chubsy Wubsy

Unread postby motherscratcher » Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:58 am

I've read a lot of people talking about trading for a bat. Other than hopefully Ludwick, I don't think one is forthcoming.

I think the point that is being missed here is that, this move isn't completely aboutbthis year. I don't think it's even mostly about this year.

I think this move sets up our rotation for the next few years. Chizs and Kip will be given a lot of PT. And the offense will be improved in the offseason to set up a run next season.

That doesn't mean anyone is throwing in the towel for 2011, but there's only so much that can be done at the trade deadline.

I think this trade is pretty clearly more about 2012/13.
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby British_Pharaoh » Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:04 am

I like the trade because it heralds in a new era for this organisation. It is now a ball club that really will try everything to improve a team that is in playoff contention. Although there is no doubting Ubaldo's stuff, whether he regains his velocity or not he still walks a lot of batters and I am shocked it cost that much to get a guy who is struggling and has health concerns buzzing around him. It seems like those four prospects we gave up should have been able to get us an ace who is also having a decent year.

I hope this isn't the Colon trade in reverse.
"There is but one thing of real value: to cultivate truth and justice and to live without anger in the midst of lying and unjust men"

-Marcus Aurelius
British_Pharaoh
Tony Sipp IS HERE!

Favorite Player: Michael Brantley
Least Favorite Player: Alexei Ramirez

Unread postby motherscratcher » Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:13 am

British_Pharaoh wrote:I like the trade because it heralds in a new era for this organisation. It is now a ball club that really will try everything to improve a team that is in playoff contention. Although there is no doubting Ubaldo's stuff, whether he regains his velocity or not he still walks a lot of batters and I am shocked it cost that much to get a guy who is struggling and has health concerns buzzing around him. It seems like those four prospects we gave up should have been able to get us an ace who is also having a decent year.

I hope this isn't the Colon trade in reverse.

Wait, I thought we got raped? :hide: ;-) ;) :wink:

I'm kind of with you on the cost. It does seem like a lot. But again, you don't often see a guy with2more years left get traded. The high cost is because he isn't just a rental.
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby WiscTribeFan » Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:27 am

Jimenez and Masterson make a potent 1-2 punch, one that could win a playoff series.

Steep price, though. It's always exciting to see home grown talent realize their potential before our eyes. This deal could help both teams. If both Pom and White develop, the Rocks will have a nice looking rotation for years.

I lived out there for a couple of years, so I keep tabs on them and try to hit Coors when we visit. I think we all will be watching these guy's development over the next few years.
Don't go away mad, just go away.
WiscTribeFan
Mook

Unread postby 1Perry » Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:44 am

Even if the Indians don't pull it off this year, this means you go into next year with Carmona asa 3rd or 4th starter as opposed to #1. That is a solid improvement.
1Perry
The Shapiro of Posters

Unread postby WiscTribeFan » Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:04 am

I also think that Carrasco will learn from his first full season in the bigs. He's shown flashes of being a really good SP. With Tomlin, Carmona, Huff and Gomez, our rotation is pretty solid.
WiscTribeFan
Mook

Unread postby Jumbo » Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:11 am

Just saw the news this morning. Initial reaction was a total meltdown, but after giving it a few minutes thought:

It's about damn time.

You can't sketch more than an outline about what the team will look like in 2013-2016, when you can legitimately (not just wishingly) expect Pomz or White to contribute. To get Ubaldo now, when the Indians have a chance to compete for the next few years in a highly flawed AL Central, is an excellent move. If Ubaldo gets hurt, well - that sucks, but the Indians took their shot, and shit happens. (The same goes for Colorado if Pomz blows out his elbow and Alex White has the second coming of Adam Miller's finger)) If the team around Ubaldo collapses, then the Indians can still recover some value next year or the year after.

Ubaldo has been excellent outside of Colorado. Of the pitchers on the staff, only Ubaldo has the chance to do something insane like go 9-2 with a sub-2 ERA the rest of the year similar to CC in Milwaukee.

Thumbs up on this trade, thumbs up for getting what looks like a live bat for the OC, and let's see if they can get Ludwick.
Jumbo
Chowderhead

Favorite Player: is not Buster Posey
Least Favorite Player: A.J. Pierzynski

Unread postby Adverb Harry » Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:25 am

e0y2e3 wrote:
metalhead9x9 wrote:Yeah, Ubaldo's had a proven track record and our two blue-chippers aren't sure things, but it'd be a bit more reassuring if Ubaldo hasn't lost some mph's on his fastball. Plus that funky delivery doesn't exactly scream longevity.

FTR: these are two real concerns. Things we all should worry about and things we have to put faith in our front office to handle. Also if they don't handle it, they are things that will possibly sink this club.

That said, you will notice that during Adverb_Melty's 80 post melt neither of these things were mentioned. Nor was levity taken.

Just sayin'

Actually, I made ten posts before you started jumping on me, most of which were in reaction to the now erroneous reports that Kipnis was also involved. And I repeatedly mentioned my concerns with his health and declining performance...that's why I kept talking about the risk. Everything else was just arguing with you.

IF he really is healthy--and being able to verify helps--this trade does help. That add-on was huge, and not apparently part of the original deal. Hate giving up Pomeranz and he's gonna he a good one, but right or wrong, this is a clear sign we're contending now. They have to step up.
Adverb Harry

Unread postby swerb » Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:34 am

Rack the living shit out of this piece.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=A ... cts_073111
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby WiscTribeFan » Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:41 am

swerb wrote:Rack the living shit out of this piece.

Except for this:

If it’s the 2011 Jimenez – the version who threw one of the single worst innings of the season Saturday night – the trade could be another miscue on par with the Indians not receiving a single high-impact player from the trades of CC Sabathia(notes), Cliff Lee(notes) and Victor Martinez(notes).

I think Masterson may have something to say about that....
WiscTribeFan
Mook

Unread postby peeker643 » Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:45 am

When it's all said and done this is exactly right. I said it before in the The Wrap, you benefit form prospects by them becoming players or trading them for one (or more).
But when your resources are limited you just better be right a lot more often than you're wrong.

Hopefully they're right about UJ's health and hopefully the fact they can't hit doesn't last or doesn't matter.

They microwaved the process last night.

Stunning.

“Here’s the thing,” the scout said Friday. “If you have a chance to get a known quantity, someone who has been there and done that, you do it. Do you understand?”

Ubaldo Jimenez is 27 years old. He arrived in 2007 with an odd delivery in which his arms seem to cantilever in the wrong direction. Somehow he coaxed 100-mph fastballs from that funk. Last year, his fastball, splitter, slider and curveball played together with harmonic beauty. Jimenez started 13-1 with a 1.15 ERA – one of the best starts in history and the blossoming of a toolset that reminded scouts why they value projection over production.

It’s that sort of dreaming that has birthed the prospect revolution. It’s funny: The majority of scouts employed by baseball teams file reports on amateur and minor league players, and the scouts bellyache about the overvaluation of the very prospects whose existence necessitates their employment.

Baseball’s prospect fetish is more pragmatic than some font of avant-garde theory. In a nutshell: Prospects are cheap. Whether it’s the Indians, with their revenues in the bottom 10, or the New York Yankees, everybody likes a sale. So the smartest teams horde prospects and use them judiciously – sometimes to trade for the best player on the market, like the Indians did with Jimenez, and other times to complement their major league team, as they’ve done with third baseman Lonnie Chisenhall(notes) and second baseman Jason Kipnis(notes).
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:50 am

I just read every melty post you made in this thread Admelty, never once did you actually talk about health concerns. Instead you made up about 45 other reasons to be pissy about the trade.

Even my arch nemesis Poove agreed w/ me.

Keep talking if you want, but it would serve you to STFU and let it go, I have. But you keep on spinning and there is nothing I hate more than assfucks spinning what I say into inaccurate bullshit.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:53 am

Also you had made three posts between two threads (I counted) before I pointed out that you and everyone else was melting over a bullshit MLB Trade Rumors hit that included a player that was playing in a trade.

Shall I go back and count how many your bullshit melty total is?
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby Bigfist » Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:53 am

Wonder who is the odd man out in the rotation? Certainly Masterson and Tomlin are in. I guess that leaves Fausto, Huff, and Carrasco. My guess...Carrasco.
Bigfist

Favorite Player: AJ Griffin
Least Favorite Player: Jeff Juden

Unread postby peeker643 » Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:58 am

WiscTribeFan wrote:

Except for this:

If it’s the 2011 Jimenez – the version who threw one of the single worst innings of the season Saturday night – the trade could be another miscue on par with the Indians not receiving a single high-impact player from the trades of CC Sabathia(notes), Cliff Lee(notes) and Victor Martinez(notes).

I think Masterson may have something to say about that....

I'm going to give a kid who was in the process of being dealt a bit of leeway on last night.

Plan is to get his hip and all else 100% and let him be the front of the rotation leader for the next two years for a young team that hopefully development (MLB development) on warp speed.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby Adverb Harry » Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:01 am

e0y2e3 wrote:I just read every melty post you made in this thread Admelty, never once did you actually talk about health concerns. Instead you made up about 45 other reasons to be pissy about the trade.

Even my arch nemesis Poove agreed w/ me.

Keep talking if you want, but it would serve you to STFU and let it go, I have. But you keep on spinning and there is nothing I hate more than assfucks spinning what I say into inaccurate bullshit.

I really don't see where I was spinning what you said, but yes, fine, let's let this go. I didn't like the initial reports last night and I had major concerns. Maybe I didn't explain my positions as clearly as I thought...I was pretty riled up. Moving on.
Adverb Harry

Unread postby Adverb Harry » Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:20 am

e0y2e3 wrote:Also you had made three posts between two threads (I counted) before I pointed out that you and everyone else was melting over a bullshit MLB Trade Rumors hit that included a player that was playing in a trade.

Shall I go back and count how many your bullshit melty total is?

It wasn't just an MLB Trade Rumors hit...it was being widely reported by several reputable sources on Twitter. And players can be in the starting lineup when they're traded and pulled when the deal goes down. It happens quite often. (like with Ubaldo last night!) Hence, my "meltdown." I calmed down pretty quick when the reports were clarified. But for a while there, this thing did look real bad.
Adverb Harry

Unread postby Commodore Perry » Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:46 am

Saw Antonetti in an interview where he said teams were overvaluing prospects in this market.

Even when a pitching prospect hits, it can still take years of MLB time to let him emerge as a star. Don't forget Cliff Lee wasn't even on the 2007 playoff rotation. I would have traded the prospect that was cliff lee for 2.5 years of his peak service time.
All the Good Things Happening in Cleveland
http://www.clevelandnewsblog.com
Commodore Perry
Old School American

Unread postby Eckersley » Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:48 am

Great job by Antonetti & the front office. It's great to see the Tribe finally on the receiving end of this type of deal. God knows we've had more than our share of the alternative.

Also, excellent job by Grant & the scouting dept. for finally drafting players who other teams actually desire. Without that, this type of trade would never have been possible.

Excellent job all around!!!
If the Dolans owned BP, they'd give promotions to everyone responsible for the oil spill.
Eckersley
Politically Incorrect

Favorite Player: Dennis Eckersley
Least Favorite Player: Pete Rose

Unread postby Commodore Perry » Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:49 am

This trade makes more sense when you look at what the Indians really were trading for. The Indians feel they got much more then Ubaldo. No doubt they're hoping they also get back a lot of the fans they lost in the victor and lee trades.
All the Good Things Happening in Cleveland
http://www.clevelandnewsblog.com
Commodore Perry
Old School American

Unread postby Dellucci TailGator » Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:00 am

In my mind this trade also makes it imperative they pick up Carmona's and Sizemore's options, keep Marson around for the bench and not deal Choo, which was something I thought they would explore this offseason. Next year is all hands on deck. The Indians should be buyers this offseason, as well, looking for an upgrade at first base or catcher to put pressure on both LaPorta and Santana to improve along with a right-handed OF stick.

This changes the franchise's trajectory. there is some urgency to win in 2012.
Dellucci TailGator

Favorite Player: Derek Lilliquist
Least Favorite Player: Matt LaPorta

Unread postby tribetalk » Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:02 am

At first I was a bit uneasy about this trade, but White already has finger problems, Pomeranz will not be a full-year starting pitcher for us until at least 2013, and the other two were nothing significant in my eyes.

I like the Orlando Cabrera trade a LOT! Neal is their top OF prospect and reminds me of Brantley. A pure, consistent athletic hitter.
tribetalk

Favorite Player: Carlos Santana
Least Favorite Player: Lou Marson

Unread postby Symbolic47 » Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:06 am

The more I think about this, the more I like it. As HORRIBLE as this team has played for 2 months, by some miracle, they are only a game and a half out. Our offense is bound to get a little better. This move really sets us up for a nice run again nice season. Ballsy and VERY risky move....but after years of Shapiro, it is a breath of fresh air to have a GM take action by the balls. Our rotation is going to be nasty.

Ubaldo
Masterson
Tomlin
Carmona
Carrassco/Huff/Gomez/possible FA

If Carmona gets his head back, swap him an Tomlin and we have the third best starting 3 in baseball.
Symbolic47

Favorite Player: Santana
Least Favorite Player: Ubaldo

Unread postby 1Perry » Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:08 am

"Here’s the thing,” the scout said Friday. “If you have a chance to get a known quantity, someone who has been there and done that, you do it. Do you understand?”

:thumb up:
1Perry
The Shapiro of Posters

Unread postby Spin » Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:23 am

Exactly if the offense breaks out of its funk, and hit like we've seen them hit, Choo comes back strong, and they win the division, we have ONE HELL of a playoff rotation.

Jiminez
Masterson
Tomlin

Then you put Carasco in LR/spot start, and Chokemeister Carmona never has to see the ball.

Fuck tomorrow. We can build for tomorrow forever, pray for a 2007 to come along and end right this time. Or we can go all-in and go for it.

And I'm not getting any younger.
Spin

Favorite Player: Jack N. Coke
Least Favorite Player: 72 hour work weeks

PreviousNext

Return to Cleveland Indians & MLB