Text Size

The Back Of The Net

Women held to a different standard?

Talk Cleveland City Stars, World Cup, MLS, and all other forms of pro soccer here in TheClevelandFan's newest forum.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, Spin

Women held to a different standard?

Unread postby Spin » Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:36 am

Why is it if a men's team, NFL, MLB, NBA, is highly favored, highly ranked, and has beaten the other team 25 times, blows two leads and blows chunks in nearly every scoring chance (including the shootout) and lose, nobody uses the word "choke"?

Everyone talks about how great the team did, how "great" the game was, blah blah blah. But if that were a Cleveland team, we would see replays of it 5 or 6 times a year for the next 50 years...

I know a lot of people don't give a shit, and if they're bored they'll tell us. As if we care.

But for the people who watch and cover the sport, why is this not a monumental CHOKE JOB?
Spin

Favorite Player: Jack N. Coke
Least Favorite Player: 72 hour work weeks

Re: Women held to a different standard?

Unread postby DrPoove » Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:49 am

It was a choke job. Anyone who watched the game knows that. USA blew 3-4 scoring chances in the first half. It should have been a blow out.

Kudos for Japan to hanging in there but they should have never been "in there".
"What is understood need not be discussed."
-Loren Adams
DrPoove
Special Guest Referee

Favorite Player: Cleveland
Least Favorite Player: The Inbred

Unread postby peeker643 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:05 am

Agreed. As I mentioned in the Wrap they blew multiple opportunities to step on Japanese throats in the first 45. They weren't sharp enough or whatever to get it done and they breathed life into a really dangerous and inspired underdog.

They did choke. Call it what it is.

Wambach damn near whiffed on that ball that was dead nuts in front of the net in the last minute of extra time and I called Carly Lloyd's PK high before she lined it up given every single other ball she put her foot to in the tourney was high.

Frustrating and disappointing end. Feel bad for my 10 yr old who invested herself. Guess it's a great indoctrination into what goes in Cleveland sports seemingly every season though.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby Squints » Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:21 am

Don't worry, people will pile on once hacks like Goldhammer and Jim Rome have their turn. Up until now, the only analysis on the game has been through EPSN who created the hype and interest in the game and will protect their pet team. Also, I wouldn't think the most professional anchor at ESPN, Bob Ley, or analysts Julie Foudy or Brandi Chastain, whom have a personal connection to some of the women and the team in general would pile on either. Wait until the hacks at Around the Horn or PTI get their shot, there you will see the term choke come up.

Yes I watched. My daughter is into it, I like whatever she likes. Yes, it was a choke. Japan's two goals reeked of panic and going 1/4 on penalty kicks is inexcusable.
Squints

Favorite Player: Howard, Tim
Least Favorite Player: Howard, Desmond

Unread postby Spin » Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:00 pm

Goalie Hope Solo kicked the ball into the side door of a rolling taxi on Letterman last night.

Apparently they should have put her in the shootout lineup...

Wambach's kick when wide right. ::doh::
Spin

Unread postby gotribe31 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:02 pm

Hope Solo and that chick that scored our 1st goal are hot.
You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves
-----Abe Lincoln

Let me tell you, if any of you douchebag empty headed stuffed suit nanny politicians tries to fuck with my bacon, I’m going after you like a crazed chimpanzee on bath salts.
-----Lars
gotribe31

Favorite Player: Francisco Lindor
Least Favorite Player: Michigan

Unread postby Spin » Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:42 am

gotribe31 wrote:Hope Solo and that chick that scored our 1st goal are hot.

Hey hey, we're trying to portray soccer as a real sport here. It's not about the women.

(but man, that Wombach reminds me of a bull dyke who just needs a good lay from a real man...)
Spin

Return to The Back Of The Net