Text Size

College Sports Arena

Get used to this.....

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

Get used to this.....

Unread postby rebelwithoutaclue » Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:17 pm

Fuck the Browns...
rebelwithoutaclue

Favorite Player: Kyrie Irving
Least Favorite Player: Mike Lombardi

Re: Get used to this.....

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:00 pm

Allegedly started recruiting for scUM before even signing his verbal.

Same bitch that declared he was staying at OSU and going to bust his ass to recruit for them then decommited three days later.

Dunn the top RB recruit is also a concern.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby Kingpin74 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:15 pm

"Well then I guess there's only one thing left to do...win the whole, f***in', thing."- Jake Taylor
Kingpin74

Favorite Player: Mario Lemieux
Least Favorite Player: Dwight Howard

Unread postby furls » Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:36 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:Allegedly started recruiting for scUM before even signing his verbal.

Same bitch that declared he was staying at OSU and going to bust his ass to recruit for them then decommited three days later.

Dunn the top RB recruit is also a concern.

Kalis leaving hurts, but fuck him, he is a weasel now.

I could care less if Dunn goes, but I don't think he will unless the sanctions are severe. He is a solid commit pending sanctions.

Personally, I think Dunn will be a wasted schollie. Warren Ball is the faster back and has a better work ethic. There are a lot of rumors circulating about Dunn's "team playerness." In the end, I don't think it matters because Rod Smith will own the backfield in 12, 13 and maybe 14. The Buckeyes are WAY ahead for the guy who will probably be rated as the #1 RB in the country for 2013, Derrick Green.

Green ran a 4.31 forty (a time that I am not really buying) at the PSU advanced camp and a 4.43 forty at the OSU advanced camp. The times are more reliable than your typical HS times, but I still think they are a bit "inflated." The one thing that the times do say is that the kid can flat out fly as those were the best times for any player at any position in the camp and they came from a player that is 6'0" 220lbs. He has better burst than Saine and is a true RB. He is the future of the position at OSU from 2013/14 until 2015/16.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/r ... een-109982

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBSLzVKdpWQ

Keep in mind as you watch the highlights that the kid is just a sophomore.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:53 pm

IMO, Green would have committed as soon as he got his offer if not for Tressel's cheating.

Hopefully as soon as the sanctions are dropped he does verbal.

I mean christ, the kid practicly packed up and sent Grant here last year, which is weird on a lot of levels but who am I to bitch.

And the only thing about Kalis that bothers me is that he claimed days before his decommitment that he was going to go all in working to recruit for OSU, then he pulls that shit. If he had kept his mouth shut and/or just decommited the first time he called Fickle it would have been much more of a "well that sucks."

Now I think the kid is a bit of a bitch.

Lied in public then starting recruiting against the team he is a fan of because of concern over sanctions that haven't been handed out? That's pretty lame.

Frankly unless someone in the NCAA is sitting on deposited checks made out to TP this thing is going to wrap up fine. TP and his authographs for money is OSU's baby Cam Newton and will always be out there, but there is just no way to do anything about it w/ Pryor flicking off the NCAA.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby fairvis » Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:58 pm

Of course he went to Michigan. He's an Ed's guy, you can never trust those people.

I'll duck now for the anti-Iggy rants.
fairvis

Favorite Player: Braxton Miller
Least Favorite Player: Joakim Noah

Unread postby Symbolic47 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:43 pm

This happened last week I do believe, Kalis is good, but I thought he was always a little over rated personally. Still would have been a great get, but yea, screw him. Hate saying that about a kid, but he pulled some BS that Buckeye fans wont forget his first time in the Shoe for the annual beatdown.
Symbolic47

Favorite Player: Santana
Least Favorite Player: Ubaldo

Unread postby furls » Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:04 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:IMO, Green would have committed as soon as he got his offer if not for Tressel's cheating.

Hopefully as soon as the sanctions are dropped he does verbal.

I mean christ, the kid practicly packed up and sent Grant here last year, which is weird on a lot of levels but who am I to bitch.

And the only thing about Kalis that bothers me is that he claimed days before his decommitment that he was going to go all in working to recruit for OSU, then he pulls that shit. If he had kept his mouth shut and/or just decommited the first time he called Fickle it would have been much more of a "well that sucks."

Now I think the kid is a bit of a bitch.

Lied in public then starting recruiting against the team he is a fan of because of concern over sanctions that haven't been handed out? That's pretty lame.

Frankly unless someone in the NCAA is sitting on deposited checks made out to TP this thing is going to wrap up fine. TP and his authographs for money is OSU's baby Cam Newton and will always be out there, but there is just no way to do anything about it w/ Pryor flicking off the NCAA.

Agree on all points. I am sure Kalis is a nice kid, but he is a nice kid that I will root against for his entire career. I know that at some point OSU has to lose a game to scUM, I just hope it isn't in the next four years. I hope he spends the next four years of his life wondering what could have been. There are very few times that you get to actually see into someone's soul and truly get a feel for their mental strength, to me, this is one of those times. Again, this will sound like sour grapes, but the way this thing went down.... they can keep him.

Look I am perfectly fine with the Kyle Dodson to Wisco thing, and I would have understood Kyle Dodson going to scUM, but he showed a little more sense.

As for sanctions... even if OSU get blasted with both barrells, what are we looking at? Maybe two years of postseason ban, probation, loss of 15 schollies? None of that is the end of the world for a 2012 recruit, so no bowl your freshman year while you are sitting on the bench or redshirting? 15 lost scholarships.... OK, no more walk on scholarships, no more reach offers for kids that we all knew weren't going to work out (I am talking about you Nick DeLilo, Zach Dominicone and Bo Delande). It is not the end of the world. Even what looks like a subpar (by OSU standards) 2012 class is not that big of a deal, remember OSU is coming off a run of very good classes.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby Symbolic47 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:07 pm

Im gonna be laugh my ass off so HARD when we dont get a bowl ban. I think the NCAA may add a schollie reduction, but thats it. Dont listen to the media. No school has EVER been banned from the postseason without being charged with LOIC. Which we clearly have not. It wont happen.
Symbolic47

Unread postby rebelwithoutaclue » Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:15 am

Symbolic47 wrote:Im gonna be laugh my ass off so HARD when we dont get a bowl ban. I think the NCAA may add a schollie reduction, but thats it. Dont listen to the media. No school has EVER been banned from the postseason without being charged with LOIC. Which we clearly have not. It wont happen.

Well considering the charges are still pending, are you psychic? Frankly, the way I see it, the only thing tOSU can be charged with is a lack of institutional control. This isn't just about Pryor. This was systemic violations from multiple team members and multiple graduating classes. This has been going on for a looooong time. If that's not lack of institutional control, I don't know what is.
Fuck the Browns...
rebelwithoutaclue

Favorite Player: Kyrie Irving
Least Favorite Player: Mike Lombardi

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:02 am

Only thing is that isn't really what happened or what LoIC is.

I believe a lot more went down at OSU then the NCAA will be able to prove.

I believe Tressel closed his eyes to a lot of shit.

I believe all that has been proven now is that tat idiots and one guy covering it up.

That isn't enough for LoIC.

As I said before, unless the NCAA is sitting on some smoking guns.

Truthfully nothing has come out and been proven that wasn't in the NCAA's original charges. Without anything new being proven it makes no sense for LoIC charges to be added that were not there in the first place.

Like I said, I think plenty of shit went down. I think plenty of it will remain hidden and w/ how hard new entities ranging from the Dispatch to ESPN worked to prove the shit I would be shocked if the NCAA found proof that hasn't surfaced yet for any of the other allegations.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby mattvan1 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:11 am

rebelwithoutaclue wrote: Well considering the charges are still pending, are you psychic? Frankly, the way I see it, the only thing tOSU can be charged with is a lack of institutional control. This isn't just about Pryor. This was systemic violations from multiple team members and multiple graduating classes. This has been going on for a looooong time. If that's not lack of institutional control, I don't know what is.

VIOLATIONS THAT DO NOT RESULT FROM A LACK OF INSTITUTIONAL CONTROL.
An institution cannot be expected to control the actions of every individual who is in some way connected with its athletics program. The deliberate or inadvertent violation of a rule by an individual who is not in charge of compliance with rules that are violated will not be considered to
be due to a lack of institutional control:
• if adequate compliance measures exist;
• if they are appropriately conveyed to those who need to be aware of them;
• if they are monitored to ensure that such measures are being followed; and
• if, on learning that a violation has occurred, the institution takes swift action.

tOSU may be exposed a bit on the 4th bullet, but I do not believe that is the case. As far as your claim of a systemtic long term issue which points to LOIC - I would like to see the proof. LOIC is more about did the school have the proper governance and organization in place as opposed to were the rules actually followed.

http://compliance.pac-10.org/thetools/instctl.pdf
I don't need to be patient, they're going to be shit forever.
- CDT, discussing my favorite NFL team
mattvan1

Unread postby Love child of shawn kemp » Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:50 am

e0y2e3 wrote:Like I said, I think plenty of shit went down. I think plenty of it will remain hidden and w/ how hard new entities ranging from the Dispatch to ESPN worked to prove the shit I would be shocked if the NCAA found proof that hasn't surfaced yet for any of the other allegations.

Columbus news last night had a story on ESPN suing OSU for copies of all email records between Tressel and TP's advisor. The case is in the Supreme Court of Ohio right now.
Love child of shawn kemp

Favorite Player: Corey KKKKKluber
Least Favorite Player: Domestic Violence

Unread postby JCoz » Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:24 pm

rebelwithoutaclue wrote:
Symbolic47 wrote:Im gonna be laugh my ass off so HARD when we dont get a bowl ban. I think the NCAA may add a schollie reduction, but thats it. Dont listen to the media. No school has EVER been banned from the postseason without being charged with LOIC. Which we clearly have not. It wont happen.

Well considering the charges are still pending, are you psychic? Frankly, the way I see it, the only thing tOSU can be charged with is a lack of institutional control. This isn't just about Pryor. This was systemic violations from multiple team members and multiple graduating classes. This has been going on for a looooong time. If that's not lack of institutional control, I don't know what is.

There is actually very little in this that could be construed as LOIC. I think you need to look into the NCAA's definition instead of your own.
JCoz
Donnie, you're out of your element

Favorite Player: Competency
Least Favorite Player: Gene Smith

Unread postby furls » Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:07 pm

JCoz wrote:
rebelwithoutaclue wrote:

There is actually very little in this that could be construed as LOIC. I think you need to look into the NCAA's definition instead of your own.

^^^^ THIS

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby DrPoove » Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:14 pm

fairvis wrote:Of course he went to Michigan. He's an Ed's guy, you can never trust those people.

Agreed. Don't tell JB I said that.

:hide:
"What is understood need not be discussed."
-Loren Adams
DrPoove
Special Guest Referee

Favorite Player: Cleveland
Least Favorite Player: The Inbred

Unread postby gnati » Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:52 pm

DrPoove wrote:
fairvis wrote:Don't tell JB I said that.

Fuck JB.

I think the best part is when Kalis said he didnt want to be punished for things he didn't do.

Fair enough.

I am sure he knows that Michigan is on probation.

What's that?

Shit.

Nevermind.

It seems the standards at Ed's have gone down in the last 25 or so years.

And you can tell JB I said that.
gnati

Favorite Player: .
Least Favorite Player: .

Unread postby Symbolic47 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:32 pm

Again without LOIC we wont get a bowl ban. And from this point, unless something new is uncovered between now and the August hearing, we will not be charged with LOIC.
Symbolic47

Unread postby JCoz » Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:11 pm

To be clear, it is in fact possible to both lose schollies and receive a post season ban without a LOIC or FTM, it's just extremely unlikely.
JCoz
Donnie, you're out of your element

Favorite Player: Competency
Least Favorite Player: Gene Smith

Unread postby motherscratcher » Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:21 pm

Agree JCoz

At the end of the day, very little has been proven, and nothing new has emerged in months. But, it's the NCAA and I'm still nervous. I think with the evidence at hand there SHOULD be no LOIC, FTM, loss of scholies, or a bowl ban. But you never know.

One thing I do know with almost absolute certainty...If the NCAA comes back and accepts OSUs self imposed sanctions and doesn't add anything on...well, it is very possible that the internet might explode.

I just hope that if it does, Pat Forde is standing at ground zero.
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:37 pm

motherscratcher wrote:Agree JCoz

At the end of the day, very little has been proven, and nothing new has emerged in months. But, it's the NCAA and I'm still nervous. I think with the evidence at hand there SHOULD be no LOIC, FTM, loss of scholies, or a bowl ban. But you never know.

One thing I do know with almost absolute certainty...If the NCAA comes back and accepts OSUs self imposed sanctions and doesn't add anything on...well, it is very possible that the internet might explode.

I just hope that if it does, motherscratcher is standing at ground zero.

(smoke)
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby furls » Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:05 pm

JCoz wrote:To be clear, it is in fact possible to both lose schollies and receive a post season ban without a LOIC or FTM, it's just extremely unlikely.

I believe, and I may be mistaken, but the only schools that have received a bowl ban w/o LOIC or FTM were Alabama and one other school that I cannot remember, but both schools were classified by the NCAA as repeat offenders. I heard this on a radio program about a week ago.

Now, OSU could be classified as a repeat offender (extremely unlikely) because of the Jim O'Brien scandal from 99-02, OSU got off probation for that in March of 06 so it falls just barely within the statute of limitations (5 years), but it is unlikely that the NCAA would invoke that clause (there would be indications already) because of the time between events, the lack of significant events in between, OSU's good record in compliance (self-reporting, investigation etc.) and the fact that it is 2 different sports.

The most likely scenario leading to a bowl ban is a new letter of allegations citing LOIC/FTM or additional charged heaped into the current NOA (again there would be indications if that were going to occur as the 12 Aug COI date would be moved).

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby motherscratcher » Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:42 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:
motherscratcher wrote:Agree JCoz

I just hope that if it does, motherscratcher is standing at ground zero.

(smoke)

That might not be so bad. I'm so badass that I'd probably just get superpowers.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:37 pm

You are pretty much the worst person ever.

I like FUDU better than you.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby FUDU » Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:34 pm

Meh, rumor has this kid as over rated as a person. Heard of a few character issues with this kid as an Eagle, mostly minor, but he has possible bad teammate written all over him.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby FUDU » Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:37 pm

gnati wrote:
DrPoove wrote:
fairvis wrote:Don't tell JB I said that.

Fuck JB.

I think the best part is when Kalis said he didnt want to be punished for things he didn't do.

Fair enough.

I am sure he knows that Michigan is on probation.

What's that?

Shit.

Nevermind.

It seems the standards at Ed's have gone down in the last 25 or so years.

And you can tell JB I said that.

I'm not only guessing JB agrees but has said it long before this came up. But what does he know anyway he's gay, he went to Iggy.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby c11058 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:52 pm

I've been debating about posting anything about this kid, but since he made his tsun choice, hell with the fact that he's only 17.

I watched the Ed's O-line in last year's state championship game, with a focus on Kalis. I was curious to see what kind of ability he had as a 5-Star OSU commit. I was disappointed. I expected a strong performance but didn't see it. The kid got pushed around, didn't show much leg drive on run plays and he had trouble staying on his blocks. His pass blocking was adequate but he was not even close to being the best on their O-line. Granted he was only a junior last year, but he did not play up to the hype, IMO. Alex Boone came to mind...great size, average performance at OSU.

I can understand him not wanting to commit to OSU; too many unknowns at this time. Why Michigan though? Why not wait until December to commit? He should have a dominating senior year at Ed's and maybe he'll improve in time. We'll know a lot more in three years as to what kind of college player he becomes.
c11058

Favorite Player: Omar Vizquel
Least Favorite Player: Ray Lewis

Unread postby motherscratcher » Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:35 am

e0y2e3 wrote:You are pretty much the worst person ever.

I like FUDU better than you.

You'll be singing a different tune when I'm melting you with my laser-beam eyes. You have until August 12 to be internet tough guy.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Unread postby Symbolic47 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:38 pm

c11058 wrote:I've been debating about posting anything about this kid, but since he made his tsun choice, hell with the fact that he's only 17.

I watched the Ed's O-line in last year's state championship game, with a focus on Kalis. I was curious to see what kind of ability he had as a 5-Star OSU commit. I was disappointed. I expected a strong performance but didn't see it. The kid got pushed around, didn't show much leg drive on run plays and he had trouble staying on his blocks. His pass blocking was adequate but he was not even close to being the best on their O-line. Granted he was only a junior last year, but he did not play up to the hype, IMO. Alex Boone came to mind...great size, average performance at OSU.

I can understand him not wanting to commit to OSU; too many unknowns at this time. Why Michigan though? Why not wait until December to commit? He should have a dominating senior year at Ed's and maybe he'll improve in time. We'll know a lot more in three years as to what kind of college player he becomes.

I could not agree more. I said so much in this thread/or another I cant remember haha. I dont believe Kalis was a top flight player. He seemed very over rated IMO. I get home every fall for a month, and had the chance to watch him play two times last fall, and simply had a "meh" impression. His running blocking has a LONG way to go. He also seems to slow footed to be a tackle. Horrors of Alex Boone come to mind. Again exactly as you said. He would probably be a better guard, if he can add some lower body strength.
Symbolic47

Return to College Sports Arena