Text Size

Cleveland Browns & The NFL

This Should Spur Some Conversation

Talk Browns football and discuss the NFL here.

Moderators: peeker643, jb, swerb, pup

This Should Spur Some Conversation

Unread postby hiko » Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:51 pm

http://eye-on-football.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/22475988/30592714

Irvin credits his father with helping him accept his brother's lifestyle and now says the African-American community should support marriage equality.

"I don't see how any African-American, with any inkling of history, can say that you don't have the right to live your life how you want to live your life," he said, according to the magazine. "No one should be telling you who you should love, no one should be telling you who you should be spending the rest of your life with. When we start talking about equality, and everybody being treated equally, I don't want to know an African-American who will say everybody doesn't deserve equality."

There have been detractors, too. In June, former Super Bowl hero David Tyree said gay marriage "will be the beginning of our country sliding toward, it's a strong word, but anarchy."

But Irvin, who had his share of off-field trouble during his playing days, has no such hang-ups. "If anyone comes out in those top four major sports, I will absolutely support him. ... When a guy steps up and says, 'This is who I am,' I guarantee you I'll give him 100 percent support."
hiko

Favorite Player: Gray
Least Favorite Player: Black and White

Re: This Should Spur Some Conversation

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:57 pm

Saw that yesterday via twitter. Interesting story and hopefull what they say about Irvin these days is genuine.

Guy was the poster-boy for reckless athletes everywhere in his prime.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby Larvell Blanks » Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:37 pm

Here I stepped into this thread expecting to find an article about James Harrison's er, freedom of speech.

I'll just let myself out
Galley Boys are slop on top of a so-so burger and a bun you coulde get from a Covneninet food mart generic pack. They the Antoine Joubert of burgers; soft, sloppy, oozing grease and cheap sauce and extremely overrated by a biased fan base. Proof that if you throw enough cheap sauce shit on a burger you still can't overcome the lame burger. -JB
Larvell Blanks

Favorite Player: Foots Walker
Least Favorite Player: un named sources

Unread postby hiko » Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:57 pm

Why not throw that in, then?

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/15316560/steelers-harrison-calls-goodell-a-crook-in-interview

Further evidence that athletes should be seen, not heard...

Heavily fined Pittsburgh Steelers linebacker James Harrison calls NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell a "crook" and a "devil," among other insults, in a magazine article.

The 2008 AP Defensive Player of the Year hasn't been shy about ripping the league after he was docked $100,000 for illegal hits last season. In the August issue of Men's Journal, his rants against Goodell reach another level of wrath.

"If that man was on fire and I had to piss to put him out, I wouldn't do it," Harrison told the magazine. "I hate him and will never respect him."

His other descriptions of the commissioner include an anti-gay slur, "stupid," "puppet" and "dictator."

If the Steelers had defeated the Green Bay Packers in the Super Bowl, Harrison said, he would have whispered in Goodell's ear during the trophy ceremony: "Why don't you quit and do something else, like start your own league in flag football?"

Harrison also criticizes other NFL execs, Patriots-turned-commentators Rodney Harrison and Tedy Bruschi ("clowns"), Houston's Brian Cushing ("juiced out of his mind") -- and even teammates Rashard Mendenhall and Ben Roethlisberger for their performances in the Super Bowl loss.

Harrison calls the running back a "fumble machine" for his fourth-quarter turnover. Mendenhall said on Twitter on Wednesday he didn't have a problem with what Harrison said "because I know him." But he also included a link to his stats from last season, which show he didn't have a pattern of fumbling.

Of the quarterback's two interceptions, Harrison says: "Hey, at least throw a pick on their side of the field instead of asking the D to bail you out again. Or hand the ball off and stop trying to act like Peyton Manning. You ain't that and you know it, man; you just get paid like he does."
hiko

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:24 pm

Awesome.

My only prediction here will be that some from the site will defend his takes on Ben and Mendenhall but say the stuff about the comish should be dealt with severely and via suspension.

And not out of a sense of fairness ;-) ;) :wink:

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby hiko » Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:29 pm

peeker643 wrote:Awesome.

My only prediction here will be that some from the site will defend his takes on Ben and Mendenhall but say the stuff about the comish should be dealt with severely and via suspension.

And not out of a sense of fairness ;-) ;) :wink:

I love the statements about POS and Fumble-All. Nothing like some in-house disharmony for that motherless franchise.

Throw in Smiley's DUI - it's been a good week in The Steel Toilet.
hiko

Unread postby Triple-S » Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:49 pm

I just never understood why some in the media (namely Peter King) insist that the Steelers organization is the "classiest" in sports, and does things the right way, with players like Harrison, Ward and such proving that they're just as bad as the rest of the league (INCLUDING THE BROWNS).

As for Harrison, it was all but hinted by a few of my professors at Kent that he would often cause problems in and outside the classroom at Kent. I've met a few who says he's shown up to a few of the Kent games, and was a dick there as well.
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories

Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Unread postby yogi » Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:20 pm

Harrison is gonna hear it from all angles.

Rooney will come down on him for the remarks and comments on Goodell and non PC language.

The NFL will come after him for the dumb pic with guns a blazing. Not exactly an image the league will endorse.

Teamates wont appreciate the under the bus comments on Pig Ben and his RB.

As a Browns fan this will be fun to watch. :lmfao:
It's Been Done Before
yogi
Jersey Accent

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:54 am

Triple-S wrote:As for Harrison, it was all but hinted by a few of my professors at Kent that he would often cause problems in and outside the classroom at Kent.

I worked the door at 2 different bars, and at house parties nearly every Friday night and I never heard of him being an issue. And I was part of the Robin Hood staff when Lainge Kennedy placed the "No 'Hood Edict" on all the athletes at Kent.

He probably was a self-entitled athlete, but no different than the rest of them.
This natural coozy comes free with every Miller Time
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Favorite Player: 1995 Indians
Least Favorite Player: Global Warming

Unread postby bucknutz94 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:05 pm

Anyone see the Steelers cutting/releasing Harrison because of this?
bucknutz94

Favorite Player: Billy Wood
Least Favorite Player: Jeff Downs

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:12 pm

bucknutz94 wrote:Anyone see the Steelers cutting/releasing Harrison because of this?

No chance IMO. Trading him? I can see that.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby fivekmd » Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:47 pm

yogi wrote:Harrison is gonna hear it from all angles.

Rooney will come down on him for the remarks and comments on Goodell and non PC language.
The NFL will come after him for the dumb pic with guns a blazing. Not exactly an image the league will endorse.

Teamates wont appreciate the under the bus comments on Pig Ben and his RB.

As a Browns fan this will be fun to watch. :lmfao:

You mean like he did when harrison beat the crap out of his kid's mom a couple years ago?

The rooney's will do what is best for their franchise (meaning money) just like EVERY other NFL owner would do. Basically, I agree with Triple S above. The steelers should stop getting credit for class and just be known as one of the boys in terms of the NFL.
fivekmd

Location: Body: Pittsburgh, PA; Heart and Soul: Cleveland, OH
Favorite Player: Brian Brennan
Least Favorite Player: Carlos Boozer

Unread postby GodHatesClevelandSport » Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:54 pm

You can say and do pretty much whatever you want when you go to two Super Bowls in three years and win two in five, or however many the Steelers have won.

We can laugh all we want at the Steelers for being idiots. But you know we'd be defending them if they were on the Browns. (See: 1990s Indians.) Every one of the dopes over there who has been in trouble recently is better than every one of the Browns at the same position.
GodHatesClevelandSport

Favorite Player: Joe Smith
Least Favorite Player: Joe Smith

Unread postby fivekmd » Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:36 pm

GodHatesClevelandSport wrote:You can say and do pretty much whatever you want when you go to two Super Bowls in three years and win two in five, or however many the Steelers have won.

We can laugh all we want at the Steelers for being idiots. But you know we'd be defending them if they were on the Browns. (See: 1990s Indians.) Every one of the dopes over there who has been in trouble recently is better than every one of the Browns at the same position.

I have no problem saying the steelers are better than the Browns or that a steeler's player is better than the corresponding player on the Browns.

I just want them to stop getting credit for being "classy".
fivekmd

Location: Body: Pittsburgh, PA; Heart and Soul: Cleveland, OH
Favorite Player: Brian Brennan
Least Favorite Player: Carlos Boozer

Unread postby leadpipe » Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:36 pm

I think when someone refers to the Pittsburgh organization as "classy" it's in reference to the organizational heads.

Nobody, I mean NOBODY is going to control 70 self-entitled moron players in this day and age.

Great organization. They handle their business across the board very well. And that's pretty much not up for argument by anyone paying half attention.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby scrambler » Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:02 pm

There isn't a person on this board who wouldn't love Harrison if he played for the Browns and delieverd his cheap shots here. We would love the guy and we love cheap shots delivered by our guys. Look at peekers icon after all! And the Steelers are one of if not the best professional sport organizations in America and it's not even debatable. I agree much more about what Harrison said about Goodell than Ben or Mendenhall. He's 100 percent right on about Goodell. Goodell is a moron. The pure violence is what we love and is what the league markets and makes billions on. To single out one of the great doers of the violence as Goodell has with Harrison reaks of hypocrisy.
scrambler

Favorite Player: Charlie Spikes
Least Favorite Player: Oelkers/Yett

Unread postby scrambler » Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:11 pm

And let's not mince words, we would be so in love with Ben Roethlisberger if he played here and had done what he has done in Pittsburgh on the football field and off the football field. We simply don't care about that stuff. It's been proven time and time again that on the field is all that matters meaning we'd love guys like Ben and Harrison if they wore the Brown. Albert Belle.
scrambler

Favorite Player: Charlie Spikes
Least Favorite Player: Oelkers/Yett

Return to Cleveland Browns & The NFL