Text Size

College Sports Arena

Impact Freshman

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

Impact Freshman

Unread postby Symbolic47 » Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:29 pm

So this is always fun to discuss during the summer. Ive got 3 guys I see making a large contribution this season as true freshman.

- Braxton Miller is obvious
- Joel Hale- already getting rave reviews from Simon and Williams, and the kid is massive
- Devin Smith - were are very young at WR, and this kid is an amazing athlete.

On the Cusp-

- Curtis Grant- maybe the best player in the class, but will be hard for him to crack the two deep as a true freshman with our crazy depth at LB. But I wouldnt be surprised to see him get alot of playing time.
-Doran Grant- Got a lot of young talent in the secondary. Can he jump Clarke, Brown, Roby and Bryant? Gonna be tough but he certainly has the talent.
- Steve Miller- same deal as Hale, but seems to need more development time
Symbolic47

Favorite Player: Santana
Least Favorite Player: Ubaldo

Re: Impact Freshman

Unread postby furls » Sun Jul 10, 2011 7:04 pm

-Devin Smith, spot on above.
-Joel Hale, already has the body to play SSDE or DT in the B1G has been impressive in the spring
-Chase Farris, I just got a feeling about the kid (see Joel Hale)
-Brax Miller, as above
-Brian Bobek, will get a lot of PT out of necessity (no depth)
-Michael Bennett: I have a hard time remembering that he is in this class, strange when you consider that he is probably the best DL in this class. I am not sure how he will get on the field, but I feel like he has too somehow.

Guys with superbright futures:
-Ryan Shazier: Awesome spring, great attitude and work ethic too much depth at LB to get significant PT
-Curtis Grant: Too much depth to break in this year, Dorian Bell's departure is Grant's gain.
-Doran Grant: I don't think he will crack the starting roster, but will be a 2-deep CB this year. Travis Howard will be an AA and will go to the NFL draft following this year, Grant will be ready to jump Dom Clarke, and next year we will see Roby and Grant.

Guys I really like but am not as confident about:
-Gambrell: I think he will end up at FS at OSU and I think he will be really good there.
-Jeremy Cash: I think he ends up being a SS and has all the tools to make middle of the field a scary place.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby danwismar » Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:37 pm

Hard to see any of the frosh OL's getting lots of time, although Bobek may be groomed as Brewster's replacement in a year.

I see Smith and possibly Evan Spencer too helping on special teams, and Smith might be in the two deep fairly quickly. Outside of Braxton, that's about it on offense.

The Grants should both be seen early on special teams too, and even though they're thick with good safeties (Barnett, OJ, Moeller, Bryant, Wood, C.Brown) I like Cash to make an impact on ST as well.

Of the DL's (I think they need SSDE help more than Leo) I think Steve Miller might have the best shot to play as a FR. Farris could become a badass Leo though.
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

Dan's OSU Links - http://bit.ly/uXRD51
danwismar

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:04 pm

Is Bell officially gone yet?
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby furls » Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:04 pm

Bobek joined the 2 deep the day he signed his LOI because of OSU's ridiculous OL recruiting over the last 5 years. Can you believe that they did not have enough OL to field a full spring game this year... WTF.

I think (hope) Smith is a starter by the end of camp due to his talent and OSU's lack of WRs. TY Williams is still a year away, as nice as Verlon Reed has been, if he is OSU's #1 WR we are in trouble. Corey Brown has hooks for hands (so does Posey for that matter), James Louis should transfer, Chris Fields has done exactly nothing. who's left? Who am I forgetting?

I am pretty sure that Chase Farris will be a SSDE, at 6'5 265 as an entering freshman he has already outgrown the LEO position. I think Miller is more of a LEO at 6'4 235 (better speed too).
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby Symbolic47 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:39 pm

Im not giving up on Philly Brown. That kid is so explosive.
Symbolic47

Unread postby furls » Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:11 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:Is Bell officially gone yet?

I don't think so.

I don't know if you caught in Fickell's press conference that there is a 7th player who will be suspended for Tatgate (the Tat5 and Jordan Whiting). Well there are very strong rumors that Dorian Bell will be the 7th. He was one of the guys implicated in the SI article. If you remember, 8 of the 9 were cleared within days and we are all waiting on word on the 9th.

Frankly, if true, that is freaking perfect. He was going to be suspended for the year anyways.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:20 pm

Yeah, he would be ideal. So much never realized potential there.

I was more so referring to the Pitt transfer rumors. Doesn't look like he has left yet though.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby furls » Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:54 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:Yeah, he would be ideal. So much never realized potential there.

I was more so referring to the Pitt transfer rumors. Doesn't look like he has left yet though.

Pitt's new coach, to his credit, would take him and his baggage. Dorian Bell is exactly what is wrong with recruiting rankings. The kid is all universe in HS and has all the tools to actually be an early first round pick, the kids HS film was nuts 5* on every service. He should've grown into something, but the rankings don't measure personality and work ethic. He just never got it. I am indifferent about whether I hope he stays or goes. Lots of talent that could make a difference, but I am not sure that it will ever materialize and I am now looking forward to Curtis Grant and co.

FWIW, not sure if you have heard buy Josh Perry is blowing up on the camp circuit. Bucknuts is reporting that he is now 6'5" 240 and I am thinking he has probably grown out of the OLB position and into the LEO position. I am not sure that he will ever get a 5th star because he committed so early, he was the first member of OSU's 2012 class.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby Symbolic47 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:13 pm

Bell is just to small to play linebacker in this system. And I dont think he's quick enough to play the STAR like Moeller and Hines were. If I remember correctly he was also quite the running back in high school. I agree that OSU was probably not the best choice for his style in retrospect. Oh well, the kid still had alot of talent. And it always sucks to see them go out this way.
Symbolic47

Unread postby danwismar » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:15 pm

The only reason I'm not slotting Bobek into the 2-deep yet is because he is viewed as a center, and right now, if anything happened to Brewster, Mewhort would be playing center. (That, and he's a month away from his first OSU practice.)

Perry is a beast, as Furls said. At that size, he took third in the state in the Div I long jump, at something like 23 feet. That's impressive.

As far as Bell goes, it's hard to believe after all that has gone down, that Bell could be the unknown suspendee. Could OSU get that lucky?
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

danwismar

Unread postby furls » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:41 pm

danwismar wrote:The only reason I'm not slotting Bobek into the 2-deep yet is because he is viewed as a center, and right now, if anything happened to Brewster, Mewhort would be playing center. (That, and he's a month away from his first OSU practice.)

Perry is a beast, as Furls said. At that size, he took third in the state in the Div I long jump, at something like 23 feet. That's impressive.

As far as Bell goes, it's hard to believe after all that has gone down, that Bell could be the unknown suspendee. Could OSU get that lucky?

That is what is starting to leak out. Yeah, our 2-Deep on OL is really like 5 starters and 2 reserves and everyone just shuffles and plays out of position if there is an injury. I guess the 2 deep is just the 2 reserves that play in the event of injury. What a ridiculous way to run an OL at a top 5 program.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby JCoz » Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:35 pm

Agree with most of you, so this is just redundant

- Devon Smith
- Roby
- Doran Grant

I have always been extremely high on Rod Smith, I think he is the star of the season on offense, should get plenty of carries do to the situation at QB.

If I HAD to pick an impact guy from last years group on D i'd take a flyer on Farris making an impact in some spots.
JCoz
Donnie, you're out of your element

Favorite Player: Competency
Least Favorite Player: Gene Smith

Unread postby danwismar » Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:32 pm

furls wrote: What a ridiculous way to run an OL at a top 5 program.

^^^^This

danwismar

Unread postby Symbolic47 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:29 pm

danwismar wrote:
furls wrote: What a ridiculous way to run an OL at a top 5 program.

^^^^This

Look no further than Jim Bollman. I was called a fake Buckeye fan on Scout because I was vocal against him keeping his job not that Tressel is gone.
Symbolic47

Return to College Sports Arena