Text Size

No Holds Barred

Economic Recovery My Arse

Need to get something off your chest? Have a topic that doesn't fit one of the other forums? Rant away in here. Mature audiences only, not for the easily offended.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, Ziner

Economic Recovery My Arse

Unread postby swerb » Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:06 am

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Jobs-bare ... et=&ccode=

Third straight month of disastrous jobs #'s. Downward revisions of last months #'s. Unemployment rate back up to 9.2% and going higher.

Too early to say double dip ... but this much is clear - there are a lot of things out there preventing things from getting any better any time soon.

1.1 trillion in stimulus did nothing. And we're out of money.

Fed on the sidelines saying anything else they do would have long term implications worse than any short term help it could provide.

Housing market is in a bad place and will be for a while, as all stimulus/foreclosure prevention efforts to this point have failed. Big bank robo-signer foreclosure mess means new foreclosures (halted last year and early this year) continue to flood into the marketplace, depressing values and inflating already inflated home inventories. Credit standards and underwriting guidelines remain very stringent. There’s still a lot of people on the sidelines who feel home values and interest rates will decline further. Also, there is a large number of people out there willing and able to buy a new home, but who must sell their existing one first.

Jobs market cannot get better. Local and state governments are broke and cutting jobs. Some businesses won't hire till they see proof economy is coming back ... and it ain't. Other businesses are scared off by an anti-business President and his policies and proposed tax increases. Technology has eradicated a lot of other jobs. And there's going to be a bunch of mergers and acquisitions in the next 18 months, which always leads to job losses.

Not a pretty picture.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Re: Economic Recovery My Arse

Unread postby gotribe31 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:01 am

Anyone who argues that government intervention into the free market helps....well, see above.
You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves
-----Abe Lincoln

Let me tell you, if any of you douchebag empty headed stuffed suit nanny politicians tries to fuck with my bacon, I’m going after you like a crazed chimpanzee on bath salts.
-----Lars
gotribe31

Favorite Player: Francisco Lindor
Least Favorite Player: Michigan

Unread postby FUDU » Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:00 pm

Not looking good. I fear we are no more than a year away from a significant relapse to the economic crash of 08/09, which in turn probably means more government intervention.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby Orenthal » Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:24 pm

IMO we never recovered. Sure the DOW has moved, but it crashed 7,000 points of which its still down 2,000 from the high, and is much more likely to shed 2,000 then reach 14,000.

No double dip, just prolonged stagnation.

Forced me back for a Master's in Security Policy. Thank God I am "tight" and can pay without loans.

Side note - Anyone have knowledge of Norte Dame college in South Euclid. They are one of a few that offer this type of program. I did my own research, but I'll admit right now that I tend to jump into things, and any tangible knowledge would trump mine...
"When a man with money meets a man with experience, the man with experience leaves with money and the man with money leaves with experience."
Orenthal

Favorite Player: Dan Gilbert
Least Favorite Player: Blacks, Gays, Poor

Unread postby gotribe31 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:38 pm

Orenthal wrote:IMO we never recovered. Sure the DOW has moved, but it crashed 7,000 points of which its still down 2,000 from the high, and is much more likely to shed 2,000 then reach 14,000.

Forced me back for a Master's in Security Policy. Thank God I am "tight" and can pay without loans.

Side note - Anyone have knowledge of Norte Dame college in South Euclid. They are one of a few that offer this type of program. I did my own research, but I'll admit right now that I tend to jump into things, and any tangible knowledge would trump mine...

Not sure about ND, but I know that Mercyhurst College in Erie, PA has a Masters in Intelligence Studies, and the govt hires a lot of their grads. That's where I went, and they had me placed in a job before I even graduated.
You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves
-----Abe Lincoln

Let me tell you, if any of you douchebag empty headed stuffed suit nanny politicians tries to fuck with my bacon, I’m going after you like a crazed chimpanzee on bath salts.
-----Lars
gotribe31

Unread postby Orenthal » Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:14 pm

gotribe31 wrote:
Orenthal wrote:IMO we never recovered. Sure the DOW has moved, but it crashed 7,000 points of which its still down 2,000 from the high, and is much more likely to shed 2,000 then reach 14,000.

Not sure about ND, but I know that Mercyhurst College in Erie, PA has a Masters in Intelligence Studies, and the govt hires a lot of their grads. That's where I went, and they had me placed in a job before I even graduated.

I have a friend going there now. They share some staff and have a working relationship. ND has offered an undergrad in the same program. First year for the masters. Wish I could remember the head of the Mercyhurst program, the advisor I was working mentioned that he assisted with aspects of the program.

I've wanted to get into this type of program since graduating CSU with my Accounting Degree. Doing it local was my only option, and with the economy poopy I figure now is as good as ever.
"When a man with money meets a man with experience, the man with experience leaves with money and the man with money leaves with experience."
Orenthal

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:50 pm

The stimulus package/ poor housing market allowed me to buy a house, so I'm not complaining. Yet. Ed Jobs Funds expire this year, so wait until budget time, you're gonna see some school system in real trouble. More so than they already are.

I also am working on the Master's to allow for more flexibility/ marketability should the worst happen, but I'd expect things to get pretty bad in the upcoming year.

I may have to turn the rest of the back yard into garden space, and the front yard into a chicken/ goat pen.
This natural coozy comes free with every Miller Time
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Favorite Player: 1995 Indians
Least Favorite Player: Global Warming

Unread postby Fire Marshall Bill » Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:33 pm

BWAH! My wife works at Mercyhurst and I know Jim Brekinridge. They're expanding the program big time and are building a new complex for the program as we speak. BTW, my wife works in admissions : )
Hope is a moment now long past
The Shadow of Death is the one I cast
Koo koo ka joob....I am the Walrus
Fire Marshall Bill

Favorite Player: Killer Bean
Least Favorite Player: Charcoal&Piss

Unread postby Orenthal » Sat Jul 09, 2011 2:29 pm

Yeah, Breckinridge. Get the scoop on the ND program if you can FMB. It would be much appreciated. It is a new Masters program, but they have had the undergrad for awhile...
Orenthal

Unread postby Toxicadam » Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:22 am

Honestly, I think a sizable portion of people have given up. This latest economic downturn has made them realize the country has been trending downwards since the 70's and the 'good times' were merely bubbles of exuberance left unchecked (that eventually popped).

That irrational optimism that defined America in the 20th century and drove recoveries in the past is gone. Especially in the Midwest.

I talk to some current parents at my workplace that are thinking about encouraging their children to go to college in Canada or Europe. They know they are going to leave Ohio anyway, might as well encourage them for a better future in a different part of the world.
Toxicadam

Unread postby gotribe31 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:05 am

Fire Marshall Bill wrote:BWAH! My wife works at Mercyhurst and I know Jim Brekinridge. They're expanding the program big time and are building a new complex for the program as we speak. BTW, my wife works in admissions : )

Breckinridge is the man. He came in my junior year or so I think, really great guy. Tell your wife thanks for letting me in despite my abysmal high school GPA.

Bob Heibel was the head of the program when I started out. He's a former FBI CT agent who really knows his stuff. Great guy, and really cares about everyone in the program.
-----Abe Lincoln

-----Lars
gotribe31

Unread postby Fire Marshall Bill » Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:03 pm

IIRC Jim is a retired full Bird Col

OJ gots mail
Hope is a moment now long past
The Shadow of Death is the one I cast
Koo koo ka joob....I am the Walrus
Fire Marshall Bill

Favorite Player: Killer Bean
Least Favorite Player: Charcoal&Piss

Unread postby gotribe31 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:13 pm

Fire Marshall Bill wrote:IIRC Jim is a retired full Bird Col

OJ gots mail

Yup, he is. But don't try asking him what he did in the military (or after).
-----Abe Lincoln

-----Lars
gotribe31

Unread postby Orenthal » Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:23 pm

gotribe31 wrote:

OJ gots mail

My buddy said he seems like a full on Jason Bourne type guy...

Thanks FMB.

BTW how about the DOW down almost 200 points as of 3ish? (My Altria (MO) is green though!!!) Also am proud as hell about the current line the House Republicans are taking. It is long past time someone feels some type of pain, and this revenue BS seems IMO an attempt to try and kick the can one more time.

Though you can see Obama posturing today in that news conference to try and put the pressure on Boehner. Keep doing nothing, he is the CEO and he has to budge to escape the blame.
Orenthal

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:05 pm

Toxicadam wrote:I talk to some current parents at my workplace that are thinking about encouraging their children to go to college in Canada or Europe.

Public schools may be a disaster, but Secondary Ed in the US is the best in the world. Outside of a few UK schools, there are more quality universities here than anywhere else.
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Unread postby FUDU » Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:11 pm

Erie Warrior wrote:
Toxicadam wrote:I talk to some current parents at my workplace that are thinking about encouraging their children to go to college in Canada or Europe.

Public schools may be a disaster, but Secondary Ed in the US is the best in the world. Outside of a few UK schools, there are more quality universities here than anywhere else.

That might be very true, but the opportunity cost has become beyond ridiculous. Sooner or later it will be unjustifiable for most people.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby gotribe31 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:59 pm

Orenthal wrote:
gotribe31 wrote:

OJ gots mail

My buddy said he seems like a full on Jason Bourne type guy...

Thanks FMB.

BTW how about the DOW down almost 200 points as of 3ish? (My Altria (MO) is green though!!!) Also am proud as hell about the current line the House Republicans are taking. It is long past time someone feels some type of pain, and this revenue BS seems IMO an attempt to try and kick the can one more time.

Though you can see Obama posturing today in that news conference to try and put the pressure on Boehner. Keep doing nothing, he is the CEO and he has to budge to escape the blame.

Did you notice how Obama is portraying himself as a "centrist" now? :lmfao:
-----Abe Lincoln

-----Lars
gotribe31

Unread postby Commodore Perry » Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:15 pm

Great topic.

9.2% unemployment at this point in the cycle is terrifying. (Though the unemployment rate for the Cleveland area is a full 2 points lower).

One good explanation I heard for the lack of recovery is that all the U.S. Gov debt has effectively crowded out private investment. The govt is soaking up over a TRILLION dollars a year in investment money. That is money that is no longer going to building factories, buying equipment, starting business, but rather is just helping the US Gov pay their bills.
All the Good Things Happening in Cleveland
http://www.clevelandnewsblog.com
Commodore Perry
Old School American

Unread postby Toxicadam » Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:33 pm

gotribe31 wrote:Did you notice how Obama is portraying himself as a "centrist" now? :lmfao:

Obama IS a centrist. By any sensible definition or metric.
Toxicadam

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:45 am

Any foreclosure slowing a false positive

http://money.cnn.com/2011/07/14/real_es ... ?hpt=hp_t2
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Unread postby Orenthal » Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:17 pm

Being centrist is relative to your own position on the left right spectrum. The only times he has EVER done anything considered "to the right" is when he has had no choice.

Proof today is Boehner calling him Jello on entitlements being on the table. Today they are, tomorrow? Not so much...
Orenthal

Unread postby gotribe31 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:02 pm

Toxicadam wrote:
gotribe31 wrote:Did you notice how Obama is portraying himself as a "centrist" now? :lmfao:

Obama IS a centrist. By any sensible definition or metric.

Yes, like having the most liberal voting record in the entire Senate during his term there? Very centrist.
-----Abe Lincoln

-----Lars
gotribe31

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:17 pm

I'm surprised none of you Republifags are mentioning the Rupert Murdoch disaster. He's your idol, if he asked you guys would probably get on your knees and suck, smile, swallow, and ask for seconds. I'm going to have to watch that shitbomb Fox News channel to see what kind of play their overlord's downfall is getting. Even Darth Vader thinks this shit is pretty fucked up.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby HoodooMan » Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:17 pm

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2011/07/19/man-rushes-at-rupert-murdoch-during-parliament-hearing/

Murdoch and his son James had sparred with the committee, the older man reeling from tough questioning before recovering his composure and rebuffing his interrogators with flashes of his legendary toughness.

Awesome.
Q: What is the best/craziest location you've ever gotten lucky A: Mens room. Death Valley. (Fire Marshall Bill, 08/13/10)

...doesn't mean we cannot call you a spade when you are one. (donnyunitas, 10/21/09)

Plus it's kinda personal for me... I have a lot of family and friends who are Ducks... (angrybeaver, 11/08/09)
HoodooMan
The King

Favorite Player: Big_Lu
Least Favorite Player: Foldtop Sandwich Bag

Unread postby Orenthal » Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:51 pm

My only concern across the pond is when new Top Gear episodes will air. A news agency did horrible things trying to break news? I'm shocked. Less people were hurt by this then Fast and Furious (Not Paul Walker and Vin Petrol)...

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld ... 2417.story

Murdoch's wife jabbed the little waif that dared attack our emperor...
Orenthal

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:16 pm

Orenthal wrote:My only concern across the pond is when new Top Gear episodes will air. A news agency did horrible things trying to break news? I'm shocked. Less people were hurt by this then Fast and Furious (Not Paul Walker and Vin Petrol)...

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld ... 2417.story

Murdoch's wife jabbed the little waif that dared attack our emperor...

"Yesssss, minions, steal the murdered girl's voicemail messages , we need information! SUBMIT TO THE DARK SIDE!"

I hope Murdoch dies in a car fire, so Fox News can do a month long special on the shitstain cumbucket. Watching O'Liely and the rest of Fox toadies weeping over this asshole's painfull death would be fun...... them trying to convince their servile peon viewers that he should be missed and all..... that Jesus would welcome him with open arms. :lmfao:
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby Orenthal » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:23 pm

Haven't really been able to stomach anything on Fox outside of Special Report and Cavuto.

If she was a dead old man would it matter?

/poorlittlewhitegirl

See those recent FBI arrests???
Orenthal

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:15 pm

Orenthal wrote:See those recent FBI arrests???

Yep. 16 people out of 15,000-20,000 people across the globe.. Way to go, FBI, way to go... But that's what I expect from a group of inept LEO squacks..... a few headlines and no real substance.... tax dollars hard at work I say! Same Bureau that was run by a bull fruit pervert and chronic blackmailier in J Edgar Hoover for nearly 4 decades. Fuck 'em.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby Orenthal » Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:19 am

Hey that may be my future employer, and at the very least they took down our corrupt Cuyahoga county politicians...

Not so menacing this guy...

Orenthal

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:22 pm

I was watching snipets of that disgusting pig Murdoch's testimony on The Daily Show and I never knew how much younger his wife was. She looks like a real bitch too, with her stupid angry faces over those who dared to question the Emperor.

My favorite bit was when MP asked "Do you think you're responsible" Murdoch "no" he said "those he trusted and the people they trusted were"..... ah yes the old stand by of the corporate pig "uh uh uh it's not my fault, just because i'm charge blame someone else!". What an awful waste of life, please die, Rupert, the world will be better off.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby Orenthal » Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:26 pm

I think they want to bring in James for another round...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/08/1 ... 28337.html
Orenthal

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:32 pm

Good. This whole "Durrrr we didn't know what's going on at own company" shit ain't gonna fly.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby Orenthal » Tue Aug 16, 2011 6:11 pm

Even if they didn't know, they are the senior management/ceo/owner. They are responsible. IMO they choose the worst possible defense (we didn't know, not our fault, we fired the baddies), and that allows their detractors to get in not only cheap political jabs, but deal real legitimate damage to their ability to complete their SKY News bid.
Orenthal

Return to No Holds Barred