Text Size

College Sports Arena

Big Trouble looming for Oregon

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

Big Trouble looming for Oregon

Unread postby furls » Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:00 pm

The Oregon street agent story just got a whole lot more interesting. It looks like Oregon may have got caught red-handed in a very thinly veiled pay for play. I will wait for more to surface before passing judgment, but this does not look good.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/w ... =cf_t11_a0

FWIW, this what George Doerman wishes his OSU story looked like.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Re: Big Trouble looming for Oregon

Unread postby furls » Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:04 pm

Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby danwismar » Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:52 pm

Will Lyles grants an interview to YahooSports' Wetzel and Robinson about Chip Kelly and Oregon's recruitment of Lache Seastrunk, among other things...

http://bit.ly/loyulH

Embattled scouting service owner Will Lyles told Yahoo! Sports that University of Oregon coach Chip Kelly personally approved a controversial $25,000 fee that sparked an ongoing NCAA investigation and was in constant contact as Lyles provided the Ducks with recruiting assistance that may have violated NCAA rules.

In a wide-ranging, multi-day interview, Lyles said Kelly “scrambled” in late February and asked Lyles to submit retroactive player profiles to justify the $25,000 payment to his company, just days before the transaction was revealed in a March 3 Yahoo! Sports report. Lyles also provided details of his fledgling company – Complete Scouting Services (CSS) – as well as the extent of his relationship with numerous Texas high school stars and his role in Ducks’ recruitment of certain prospects.
(my bold - DW)

Payment of the $25,000 was made to Lyles' company just days after Seastrunk committed to Oregon.
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

Dan's OSU Links - http://bit.ly/1o9DwFo
danwismar

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:57 pm

I'M GOING TO WAIT UNTIL THE NCAA AND OREGON CONFIRM THIS, AS WETZEL HAS BEEN WRONG BEFORE!@$!!

^ sarcasm, sort of

Been wondering how long it would take you to post this.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby Bayou Tribe » Fri Jul 01, 2011 4:57 pm

Funny how this is the 2nd year in a row that LSU's season opening opponent has the NCAA knocking at their door within months of kickoff (UNC last year).
"Dammit you piss me off. I f#ckin hate you and I hope you f#cking get killed by a rabid polar bear you douche bag."

-- TIMMAH to CDT
Bayou Tribe
"Rickey wants to play baseball"

Favorite Player: Drew Brees
Least Favorite Player: Steve Smith

Unread postby peeker643 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:31 pm

Bayou Tribe wrote:Funny how this is the 2nd year in a row that LSU's season opening opponent has the NCAA knocking at their door within months of kickoff (UNC last year).

At the least you'd think the suits in the NCAA would kill two birds with one stone and start looking at LSU too. ;-) ;) :wink:
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby Bayou Tribe » Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:50 pm

peeker643 wrote:
Bayou Tribe wrote:Funny how this is the 2nd year in a row that LSU's season opening opponent has the NCAA knocking at their door within months of kickoff (UNC last year).

At the least you'd think the suits in the NCAA would kill two birds with one stone and start looking at LSU too. ;-) ;) :wink:

Shit, I was sweating these articles. LSU recruited Seastrunk as hard as anyone and also signed a kid with tight Lyles connections last season in Trevon Randle. I knew LSU would be mentioned, just glad that Lyles painted a picture of compliance when he spoke of LSU here.
"Dammit you piss me off. I f#ckin hate you and I hope you f#cking get killed by a rabid polar bear you douche bag."

-- TIMMAH to CDT
Bayou Tribe

Unread postby furls » Sat Jul 02, 2011 12:51 am

Wow, so Yahoosports! is infact the only investigative sports journalists out there worth a crap. USC, OSU and now Oregon.

I will continue to wait for the story to completely unfold, but man, this is bad for the Ducks. Their fans (much like OSU and USC fans) are going to continue to rationalize, but ultimately this story is ugly. I can't believe that Lyles talked and turned over the documentation (phone records etc).

Based on the evidence presented it looks like Kelley has been caught red handed in not only violating NCAA rules by using Lyles as an intermediary, but Kelley and his staff are pretty strongly implicated in the post facto cover up. It is one thing to skirt the rules regarding recruiting services and street agents, it is another thing all together to lie about it and get caught in a clear cover up. If the story is true I would be very surprised if Kelley, his staff and some folks in the compliance department survive.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sat Jul 02, 2011 7:08 am

Remember the interview Wetzel did right after the OSU article? He said that he had two stories in the works, a small to OSU level one and one for this summer that would be even bigger and harsher than tOSU/fraudulent Tressel article.

Wonder if this was the big cannon (probably) or just his OSU-style violation.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby furls » Sat Jul 02, 2011 9:51 am

I read recently that the big gun was on hold until August, completed and ready for press, but his editor's are sitting on it until August.

The August story is supposed to be a devastating piece on a national caliber team. Rumors I read keep pointing back to the state of Alabama (either Auburn or AL). As successful as Oregon has been, they still aren't a team that will rock the national NCAA scene from disciplinary actions.

FWIW there have also been pretty strong rumors that Yahoo is digging up info in FL too, so.... If I were an NCAA pres, I would not sweat the NCAA, SI or ESPN. I would sweat Yahoo! The sad fact is that this really just proves the NCAA's ineptitude and the mainstream medias inability or lack of desire to pursue the big dogs.

I wrote a piece about 5 years ago on this site called $PORT$CENTER and it is applicable today as it was then. It is about ESPN's dilemma as a News and Sports network. How do you report news that absolutely affects your bottom line ratings in other programs? I have a feeling that ESPN's ability to attack the top tier SEC schools will be hamstrung by their two-billion dollar deal with the SEC. What good is this deal if Florida and 'Bama are riding television bans and Auburn is riding 30 schollie limitations? It really is not in ESPN's best interests to aggressively pursue or broadcast stories.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby swerb » Sat Jul 02, 2011 10:06 am

I still cannot believe Tressel was forced to step down because he knew some kids were selling crap for tattoos. Amazing. Maybe we can rehire him at year end when they start digging up worse shit on every other major program in America.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby FUDU » Sat Jul 02, 2011 10:30 am

Furls is correct, Oregon simply isn't a program that will shake things up enough (although they deserve credit for becoming a very respectable football team that can compete at the top). The only way anything substantial will happen is if another program like an OSU & USC equal get caught with their hand in the cookie jar. A Florida, Bama, Auburn & Texas would be the type, really any of the top 3-4 SEC schools would have a big impact (not to forget LSU).

Our Buckeyes haven't won enough for any wrong doings to stir up a broad enough change to the sport, while USC has won more (than OSU) as of late they still aren't the ideal school b/c much like OSU people in general love to hate on them regardless (at times justifiably). You get some consistent & recent title winners in the mix and all of a sudden it is a different story that correlates winning with suspicious activities, basically winning as a result of cheating so to speak.

I could get down with Swerb's suggestion about JT but IMO JT would never do it, it doesn't mesh with the character of the man that we've believed in all along.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby swerb » Sat Jul 02, 2011 12:16 pm

"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby motherscratcher » Sat Jul 02, 2011 12:22 pm

swerb wrote:Just bought http://www.RehireTressel.com

That's awesome.

I was just thinking that about Tressel. It reminds me of back in the 90s when the Cavs fired Lenny Wilkins, immediately making him the best coach available for the Cavs head coaching position.
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby FUDU » Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:06 pm

I swear Lenny Wilkens used to bank unused timeouts. Seemed the guy was never short on timeouts in any situation in any game.

FUDU

Unread postby danwismar » Sat Jul 02, 2011 4:23 pm

One of the usually reliable insiders at Scout.com says it will be Auburn, and he says it will be soon.
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

danwismar

Unread postby furls » Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:14 am

Keep hearing the same thing re: Auburn. Also saw a rumor that Yahoo! is looking hard at the state of FL. Wonder if anyone is going to pull the string on 'Bamas 218K in fees to "recruiting services." I have a feeling you will see a lot more Willie Lyles type stuff come out of that as well.

To be honest, the scumminess of NCAAF is actually starting to bother me. I always knew it was dirty, and I am not dumb enough to think that every Buckeye is doing the right thing, but man, I seriously believe that if Yahoo! went to any major campus sanctions would follow. Best part about those guys is they have no agenda other than finding the dirt, therefore, they actually find it.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby furls » Sun Jul 03, 2011 12:02 pm

Interesting take on Lyles:

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/n ... gon_070111

If you really think this guy is "The Most Dangerous Man in College Athletics" you are sadly mistaken. This guy is small potatoes. You wanna see some disgusting shit take a look at the street agents, oops I mean coaches on the elite AAU hoops circuits. That place is filthy.

The major 7 on 7 guys in NCAAF is much worse than anything Will Lyles could dream of being (matter of fact, that is actually where he was trying to go). The NCAA is just unable to enforce its own rules or investigate the problems, therefore it has to rely on whatever investigative journalists are finding. What was the last major violation that the NCAA broke without the aid of Yahoo! (without the aid of retarded kids from UNC twittering their violations)?

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby FUDU » Sun Jul 03, 2011 2:37 pm

That's why I've been saying Alonzo Harris.

FUDU

Unread postby Bayou Tribe » Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:07 pm

-- TIMMAH to CDT
Bayou Tribe

Unread postby Symbolic47 » Sun Jul 10, 2011 4:56 am

I for one have been smelling the stink for 4 years here in Oregon. The majority of their fans are incredibly arrogant and smug as well. I couldn't be happier!
Symbolic47

Favorite Player: Santana
Least Favorite Player: Ubaldo

Unread postby Fire Marshall Bill » Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:12 am

[size=50]The majority of their fans are incredibly arrogant and smug as well.[/size]

:lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :bunny:

Maybe we can rehire him at year end when they start digging up worse shit on every other major program in America.I still cannot believe Tressel was forced to step down because he knew some kids were selling crap for tattoos. Amazing. Maybe we can rehire him at year end when they start digging up worse shit on every other major program in America....except Penn State

Fixed it for ya ;-) ;) :wink:
Hope is a moment now long past
The Shadow of Death is the one I cast
Koo koo ka joob....I am the Walrus
Fire Marshall Bill

Favorite Player: Killer Bean
Least Favorite Player: Charcoal&Piss

Unread postby mattvan1 » Sun Jul 10, 2011 11:26 am

The intersection of the set "major programs" and the set "Penn State" is NULL
I don't need to be patient, they're going to be shit forever.
- CDT, discussing my favorite NFL team
mattvan1

Unread postby furls » Sun Jul 10, 2011 11:31 am

mattvan1 wrote:The intersection of the set "major programs" and the set "Penn State" is NULL

As a Math guy, I appreciate that.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby furls » Sun Jul 10, 2011 11:32 am

Is there an ignore user function?

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby Symbolic47 » Sun Jul 10, 2011 5:01 pm

Fire Marshall Bill wrote:[size=50]The majority of their fans are incredibly arrogant and smug as well.[/size]

Maybe we can rehire him at year end when they start digging up worse shit on every other major program in America.I still cannot believe Tressel was forced to step down because he knew some kids were selling crap for tattoos. Amazing. Maybe we can rehire him at year end when they start digging up worse shit on every other major program in America....except Penn State

What is this all about?..........
Symbolic47

Unread postby furls » Sun Jul 10, 2011 5:18 pm

Symbolic47 wrote:
Fire Marshall Bill wrote:[size=50]The majority of their fans are incredibly arrogant and smug as well.[/size]

nonsense troll ramblings.

What is this all about?..........

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby Symbolic47 » Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:15 pm

Michigan fan?

Also- our fans may be arrogant, but we have that right. What the hell has Oregon ever done besides getting stomped in the Rose Bowl, and losing in the MNC with a team of bought players?
Symbolic47

Unread postby furls » Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:55 am

Interesting to go back and reread that and the linked articles in light of Oregon's admission today. Oregon is not done yet. They have not commented on Kelly's cover up. There is no way he survives this.

LOIC is not off the table in this one. Those emails implicate a lot of folks in the athletic department.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby furls » Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:57 am

:bunny: :bunny: :bunny: :bunny: :bunny: :bunny: :bunny: :bunny: :bunny: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao:

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby furls » Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:27 am

Time to dig up this thread as it looks like Oregon's penalties are being released in the next few minutes.

I am going to guess:

-One year bowl ban
-Show cause for Chip Kelly (not that he cares)
-15 scholarships per year for 3 years.

That is a bit more severe than many are forecasting, but I think the attempted coverup will be transparent to the NCAA.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby furls » Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:28 am

Just realized that this thread is almost 2 years old to the day! Record time for the NCAA!

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby furls » Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:29 am

Feldman reporting no bowl ban for Oregon.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby furls » Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:43 am

Wow, Oregon's penalties:

-1 Scholarship for 2 years.
-No bowl ban
-18 month show cause on Kelly

That's it. This is every bit as bad as Tressel's shit, right down to the coach lying (covering up in Kelly's case). Literally a slap on the wrist.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby furls » Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:43 am

Mark Schlabach ‏@Mark_Schlabach 5m
If I'm #OhioState AD Gene Smith, I'm not a happy camper today

SEC homer Schlabach knows what I am talking about.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby Madre Hill, Superstar » Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:22 pm

Mark Emmert found a severed horse head stamped with the Nike swoosh.
"The fucking Who...... If I want to watch old people run around ill go set fire to a nursing home." - CDT
Madre Hill, Superstar
Eternal Optimist

Favorite Player: The Playa
Least Favorite Player: The Game

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:28 pm

This isn't exactly like the OSU case, in fact it's nowhere close.

While it runs hand in hand w/ the initial violations and a coach lying, OSU had two players get caught red handed taking money the summer after Tressel's violations and before the punishments were handed out. That was the final straw in OSU's bowl loss.

And Tress' cover-up was worse than Chip's, but whatever. No additional guys getting busted and you wouldn't have had the bowl ban.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby danwismar » Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:18 pm

Please.....this case involved the coaching staff paying a street agent middleman $25,000 to deliver a prized recruit.

You're going to try to tell me a kid taking a couple hundred bucks from a booster is more of a symptom of lack of institutional control than that? Or a coach overlooking some free tattoos?

Nonsense.

danwismar

Unread postby furls » Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:26 pm

This case is very similar to OSU's, with the exception of the Eddie DeGeronimo paying kids during Tatt Gate.

Universally, everyone says that the real bloodbath over OSU was caused over Tressel lying by signing that statement that said he knew of no illegal benefits.

Tressel lied to cover up Tatt-Gate.
Chip Kelly was actively involved in a cover up of the 25K payment to a street agent. Remember, Willie Lyles sent him a rag of a recruiting prospectus in response to Kelly's emails for a document to justify the payment.

IMO, the Oregon case is significantly worse because there is a clear paper trail running from Chip Kelly to Willie Lyles for influence on Lache Seastrunk. OSU got assraped because of the media outrage.

I am not going to claim the NCAA is out to get OSU, that's just dumb. I am going to claim that the NCAA is horribly inconsistent (not news).

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:07 pm

I'm saying that once the NCAA is on campus investigating a coach covering up the fact that he played ineligible players it's best for the players on the team to not get busted taking money illegally. Having a second offense (no matter how minor it was) while under investigation ensured the bowl ban.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby furls » Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:10 pm

I can agree with that. I think the school should've launched those idiots right there. It was who again? Jordan Hall and Posey?

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:20 pm

There were two separate "bustings" IIRC. First Howard, Hall and Corey Brown for the charity golf thing and then a month later Posey and Fellows for getting overpaid. All of this happened after the COI hearing and before the punishments were handed down, causing the COI to be "amended" twice to include new violations between it's "finalization" and the actual punishments.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby OldDawg » Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:11 am

furls wrote:This case is very similar to OSU's, with the exception of the Eddie DeGeronimo paying kids during Tatt Gate.

Universally, everyone says that the real bloodbath over OSU was caused over Tressel lying by signing that statement that said he knew of no illegal benefits.

Tressel lied to cover up Tatt-Gate.
Chip Kelly was actively involved in a cover up of the 25K payment to a street agent. Remember, Willie Lyles sent him a rag of a recruiting prospectus in response to Kelly's emails for a document to justify the payment.

IMO, the Oregon case is significantly worse because there is a clear paper trail running from Chip Kelly to Willie Lyles for influence on Lache Seastrunk. OSU got assraped because of the media outrage.

I am not going to claim the NCAA is out to get OSU, that's just dumb. I am going to claim that the NCAA is horribly inconsistent (not news).

The initial offense at Oregon (bogus payment to essentially a "player agent") was DONE BY COACHES. And they knew it was wrong. All along. And they run the program. Then those same coaches lied and covered it up.

If tat-gate is the initial act at tOSU, then that was initiated by kids. Although I guarantee you every player involved in tat-gate really knew it was wrong (they have tons of meetings about that stuff at major colleges explaining these things in great detail), in their minds, selling stuff that is theirs was "not really a crime." Tress might have actually bought that logic when he covered it up. Kids being kids in his mind. Still wrong. And what happened after that may have tilted the ruling.

However, the NCAA self-castrated when making this ruling. They have seemingly been cracking down quite hard lately, then this.

The shame is that the coaches get away with this. Pete Carroll (USC) and Chip Kelly leave programs with a trail of allegations and they have no punishment. That's what is really wrong.
"The nose of the bulldog has been slanted backwards so that he can breathe without letting go." -- Winston Churchill
OldDawg

Favorite Player: Mark Price
Least Favorite Player: LePunk Jims

Unread postby kman_holla8 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:42 am

Apparently this is UO 2nd Major violation in the last 10 years (2004)

http://www.registerguard.com/rg/sports/ ... h.html.csp

The most significant part of the NCAA action included a warning that Oregon is “subjected to provisions of (an NCAA bylaw) concerning repeat violators for a five-year period.” In that regard, the most severe penalty for a school found to have committed a second “major” violation within that five years would be the so-called “death penalty,” which would force a program to cease operating for a specified time. That action has been taken only once by the NCAA, against the Southern Methodist University football program.
"Cocaine is a hell of a drug" - Originated from a famous skit in Dave Chappelle's "Chappelle's Show". The skit would portray Rick James, usually high on cocaine, preforming doing crazy and stupid things, such as smacking Charlie Murphy in the face. Rick James would frequently explain away his actions by saying "Cocaine is a hell of a drug".
kman_holla8

Favorite Player: Swish
Least Favorite Player: Fair Weather Fans

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:43 am

Not true, the action by the students at OSU was just a suspendable offense and wouldn't have brought the NCAA in if not for the coach covering it up.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby OldDawg » Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:14 am

e0y2e3 wrote:Not true, the action by the students at OSU was just a suspendable offense and wouldn't have brought the NCAA in if not for the coach covering it up.

I understand the points you've made in the thread, but both cases involve cover-ups. Oregon's involves the cover-up of the coaching staff's sins (that's basically then two sins by the coaches), the other involves the cover-up of some players' sins (that's one sin by the coaches).

I just can't shake in my mind that Oregon's offense of their coaches knowingly initiating the wrong-doing ahead of time being a more egregious offense.

Regardless, Oregon got off way too lightly!
"The nose of the bulldog has been slanted backwards so that he can breathe without letting go." -- Winston Churchill
OldDawg

Favorite Player: Mark Price
Least Favorite Player: LePunk Jims

Unread postby jb » Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:09 am

danwismar wrote:Please.....this case involved the coaching staff paying a street agent middleman $25,000 to deliver a prized recruit.

You're going to try to tell me a kid taking a couple hundred bucks from a booster is more of a symptom of lack of institutional control than that? Or a coach overlooking some free tattoos?

Nonsense.

Be (not) interesting to see how the NFL views it. Afterall, TPeezy got a suspension to start his pro career.

Wild guess says Cheatin' Chipper in on the sidelines for game one.

The rest is all "meh" to me.

Whithout Tatt-gate we still have SV dominating the Big 10 with Brady Hoke pushing him while we fall further & further behind the SEC. SV was untouchable and could have stayed as long as he wanted mainatining the level of NYD bowl and BCS game contention but never really elevating the program to true NC potential.

I'll take the end game of Meyer any day for a year of inter-regnum purgatory in '11. And if you're upset this undefeated bunch didn't draw bama this year you're either stupid or lying.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby danwismar » Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:15 am

Let me clarify.

I get the fact that the accumulation of minor offenses, even those discovered late in the process, are the reason OSU got a bowl ban. And Lee is right that, as always...it ain't the crime, it's the cover-up. The students' offenses were minor had they been reported.

And of course jb is right that in hindsight, we're all delighted that they landed on their feet with Urban Meyer...and right that they would have gotten killed by 'Bama in 2012, undefeated or not.

None of that is pertinent to the issue with Oregon. The difference in the initial violations of the two schools is that one (free tats, shaky summer jobs) were not intended to give the program an advantage on the field. Paying thousands of dollars for a player (or players) they would otherwise not be able to attract, IS meant to achieve an illegal advantage on the field.

And before someone makes the obvious follow-up point, I will...yes, Tressel's failure to report the minor violations did have the effect of possibly gaining an on-field advantage, by playing players who might have been ineligible had he reported them.

Still there is a wide difference in both type and scale of violations here that makes the NCAA look (again) like buffoons.

danwismar

Unread postby Sea Foam Green » Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:16 am

Didn't Tressel work as a 'Special Consultant' or something like that for the Colts the year after he left? Not sure if he was there from Day 1, or if he was in the booth or anything on game days, but I don't recall him being restricted.

Might not be apples to apples though.
Sea Foam Green

Favorite Player: 1st Round Draft Pick
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:24 am

Sea Foam Green wrote:Didn't Tressel work as a 'Special Consultant' or something like that for the Colts the year after he left? Not sure if he was there from Day 1, or if he was in the booth or anything on game days, but I don't recall him being restricted.

Might not be apples to apples though.

Yeah he had some really obscure position, "instant replay consultant" or some shit.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Next

Return to College Sports Arena