Text Size

The Neutral Zone

2012 NHL Realignment

The place to talk hockey. NHL banter, discussions on the Columbus Blue Jackets, the Lake Erie Monsters, and college hockey.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, skatingtripods

2012 NHL Realignment

Unread postby swerb » Tue May 31, 2011 10:21 pm

http://eye-on-hockey.blogs.cbssports.co ... 6/29691513

Column lays out the likely obvious moves. Winnipeg moves to the Northwest with Calgary, Edmonton, Vancouver. Which likely bumps Colorado out to the Pacific and bumps Dallas to the Central.

Which means one of Detroit, Columbus, or Nashville goes to the East.

It's no secret Detroit wants to be in the Eastern Conference. The organization and its fans -- who have a Facebook page dedicated to changing conferences -- have been very vocal about their desire to switch conferences, citing less travel, less road games in the later time zones (Detroit is one of two teams in the West sitting in the Eastern time zone), and renewing rivalries with Original Six foes Toronto, Montreal, Boston and the Rangers.

“Fingers crossed, toes crossed, saying prayers,” Red Wings senior vice president Jimmy Devellano said about a possible move.

"I've gone on record saying we'd prefer to be in the East, but I haven't heard anything and I'm just worrying about putting together our team for next season," GM Ken Holland said on Monday.

The Red Wings have long held the belief they had a promise from the NHL that they would be the next team to go East. Oh, if it were only that simple.

Yes, it makes sense to move the Wings to the East. But it also makes sense to move Columbus. Same goes for Nashville.

The problem for Detroit is it might be too valuable to move. Nobody in the Western Conference would want to see the Wings fly away -- well, maybe from a competitive standpoint -- because of the draw they are at the gate. They have as big of a fan base as you'll find in the States. Bottom line: it's guaranteed to be a big crowd on the road. The foes in the West don't exactly want to see that disappear.

Plus we have a little imbalance issue by swapping Atlanta for Detroit. You are sending a team that has made the playoffs once in its history to the West for a team that has made the postseason 20 consecutive seasons. You could make the argument that the conferences need a little balancing anyways, that the West has been the better half top to bottom for a few years, but that's a significant upheaval.

But let's have some fun here. Let's imagine a Detroit move to the East happens. You likely aren't going to send them to the Southeast, so some shuffling will be needed. Most likely scenario would be putting the Wings in the Northeast with Toronto, Montreal, Ottawa and Buffalo, dropping Boston into the Atlanta and moving either Pittsburgh or Philadelphia to the Southeast. Surely you see the downsides in that. Bruins-Habs in separate divisions? Breaking up the Keystone State rivals? Really, there's no way that makes much sense to put the Wings in the East while keeping important battles going without just dropping them in the Southeast -- which, again, makes little sense.

So it might still happen, but I'm thinking sorry Detroit, you're stuck where you are.

Geographically speaking, the simplest solution seems to be putting the Predators in the Southeast to fill Atlanta's spot. Everybody else in the East stays the same. But, despite its location being so far East, Nashville doesn't sit in the Eastern Time zone. Columbus does. And the Blue Jackets would prove a pretty comparable swap franchise wise with the Thrashers.

In the end, while Detroit can hope and pray, Columbus and Nashville will be the odds-on favorite to swap conferences, with my thinking it will lean toward Columbus. But Detroit has a whole season to politick.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Re: 2012 NHL Realignment

Unread postby skatingtripods » Tue May 31, 2011 10:27 pm

I can't wait to see how it shakes out. I still hope it's Columbus to the SE Division, but, the sentiment will probably be to send Nashville there for the reasons I laid out in my last column. Geography and competitive balance.

No way DET leaves the West. Biggest draw as a road team for Western Conference teams. They'd be in an uproar.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby Govbarney » Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:14 pm

NHL announced today there will be massive realignment in 2012: 2 7 team divisions, and 2 6 team divisions.

I am hoping one of the divisions looks like this: Minn, Chi, Det, CBUS, Nash, Pit, and Buff.
"I don't think they're building chemical weapons in Berea. But they might be. I can't say for sure."
Chuck Klosterman
Govbarney

Favorite Player: Smallmouth Bass
Least Favorite Player: Sheephead

Unread postby Spin » Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:51 pm

Govbarney wrote:NHL announced today there will be massive realignment in 2012: 2 7 team divisions, and 2 6 team divisions.

I am hoping one of the divisions looks like this: Minn, Chi, Det, CBUS, Nash, Pit, and Buff.

+1
Spin

Favorite Player: Jack N. Coke
Least Favorite Player: 72 hour work weeks

Unread postby skatingtripods » Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:04 pm

Govbarney wrote:NHL announced today there will be massive realignment in 2012: 2 7 team divisions, and 2 6 team divisions.

Except that this equals 26 and there are 30 teams.

Unless you mean 8-8-7-7.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby Govbarney » Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:33 pm

Yes 8-8-7-7 sorry.

I read two conflicting reports, It was said that Bettman wanted to re-align based on time zone. However Pacific, Midwest, East and South where the divisions names floated around in the articles. The geography of the league makes a directional division format difficult. But if its based on time zones, I could see it looking like this:

D1 Van,SJ,LA,ANH,PHX,CAL,EDM
D2 Col,WIN,MIN,SL,DAL,CHI,NAS,TB
D3 DET,CBUS,PIT,BUF,TOR,FL,CAR
D4 NY,NY,BOS,PHI,MON,OTW,WAS,NJ
"I don't think they're building chemical weapons in Berea. But they might be. I can't say for sure."
Chuck Klosterman
Govbarney

Unread postby Spin » Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:45 pm

Govbarney wrote:Yes 8-8-7-7 sorry.

I read two conflicting reports, It was said that Bettman wanted to re-align based on time zone. However Pacific, Midwest, East and South where the divisions names floated around in the articles. The geography of the league makes a directional division format difficult. But if its based on time zones, I could see it looking like this:

D1 Van,SJ,LA,ANH,PHX,CAL,EDM
D2 Col,WIN,MIN,SL,DAL,CHI,NAS,TB
D3 DET,CBUS,PIT,BUF,TOR,FL,CAR
D4 NY,NY,BOS,PHI,MON,OTW,WAS,NJ

Detroit and Chicago in different divisions? They're not gonna like that.

I'll take Detroit though...
Spin

Favorite Player: Jack N. Coke
Least Favorite Player: 72 hour work weeks

Unread postby Govbarney » Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:09 pm

The Vote for re-alignment will take place during the owners meetings 5-6 December.
Supposedly this is the plan they will be voting on according to Hockey Night in Canada:

1)Teams would be redistributed into four divisions over two conferences based on geographic proximity.
2)Teams would play a home-and-home with each team outside its division. The remaining games are split within the division.
3) The first two rounds of the postseason would be contested within each division. As Friedman points out, this is how the system worked back when the NHL had 21 teams.

And the four divisions will look like this:

EAST
1) PHI, WSH, NYR, NYI, NJ, CAR, TB, FLA
2) DET/CBJ, TOR, MTL, BOS, PIT, BUF, OTT
WEST
1) DET/CBJ, WPG, CHI, DAL, NSH, STL, MIN
2) VAN,EDM,CGY, ANA, LA, SJ, PHX, COL

Biggest stumbling block right now is between Pittsburgh and Philadelphia, they don't want to be split up.

It is also still unclear where Detroit and the CBJ will end up , however Detroit has expressed interest in continuing its rivalry with Chicago.

Bettman will need 20 votes to ratify. Supposedly he has all 15 western teams in his pocket. Now he will need just 5 or 6 eastern Conference owners to agree to it.
Chuck Klosterman
Govbarney

Unread postby swerb » Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:00 pm

Interesting.

I like it. A lot.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby skatingtripods » Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:17 pm

Nothing the NHL does will be a better idea than making regulation wins worth three points. But I digress.

So, would it be 48 outside your division and then 34 among the 7 teams in your division? I guess that's a cool idea. You get to see all the teams in hockey at least once at home.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby Govbarney » Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:30 am

skatingtripods wrote:Nothing the NHL does will be a better idea than making regulation wins worth three points. But I digress.

So, would it be 48 outside your division and then 34 among the 7 teams in your division? I guess that's a cool idea. You get to see all the teams in hockey at least once at home.

I agree on the three points for a win , however (and granted I know it will never happen) I would just get rid of the shoot out, id have just one 5 min. 4 on 4 OT Period, and if its still tied after that so be it... maybe its the soccer fan in me , but I never saw the harm in ending a game in a tie.

As far as the new proposal goes , I like the emphasis on division play , should foster some heated rivalries. I also think bringing back the divisional rounds in the playoffs may be the best idea Bettman has ever had.

If this proposal passes there is one thing left to do , and that's bring back Adams, Smythe, Norris, and Patrick.
Chuck Klosterman
Govbarney

Unread postby swerb » Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:23 pm

Govbarney wrote:If this proposal passes there is one thing left to do , and that's bring back Adams, Smythe, Norris, and Patrick.

Yes. This.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby StewieG » Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:34 pm

Done deal. 4 conferences, top 4 teams from each conference get into the playoffs, 1st 2 rounds played within division with reseeding after that.

CBJ in conference with CHI, DAL, DET, MIN, NASH, STL & WPG. (That's a tough conference)

Each team will play a home & home with teams outside of their conference.

Thoughts?

EDIT:

May be known as the Central Conference.

Will play 22 clubs outside the conference home & home (44 games)...the other 38 games will be split amongst the other 7 clubs in the conference.

Other conferences:

A (West?) - ANA, CAL, COL, EDM, LA, PHX, SJ, VAN
C (East?) - BOS, BUF, FLA, MON, OTT, TB, TOR
D (???) - CAR, NJ, NYI, NYR, PHI, PIT, WAS
StewieG

Favorite Player: Delonte MF'in West
Least Favorite Player: LeQuit

Unread postby swerb » Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:07 pm

I love it. A sport actually placing more of an emphasis on division play and rivalries.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby skatingtripods » Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:29 am

Playoff format is what the AHL had last season. They had it because of travel. NHL appears to be thinking along the same lines.

As has been said on Twitter throughout the night, this now means that Boston now plays NYR, PHI, PIT the same amount of times it plays the teams in the Western Conference. Not sure I like that format.

I don't like this format for two reasons. The one above and that if the playoffs are done divisionally, there's a good chance that the top eight teams won't make it every year. The fifth team in another division might be decidedly better than the fourth team in the other division. They're on the outside looking in, despite being better. I see this being a problem in the other Western Conference division.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby Govbarney » Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:39 am

I like the emphasis on division play ( side note: the dispatch refered to them as 4 conferences ).
I don't like the fact that the CBJ is arguably the weakest link in the toughest division/conferance. I am also a little disappointed that the majority of the teams are in the central time zone, but I suppose that doesn't hurt the Tribe, so I can live with it. Besides a 8pm start in Chitown is better then a 10 pm start in Vancouver.
Chuck Klosterman
Govbarney

Unread postby Govbarney » Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:18 pm

A Portlinze tweeted if Coyotes relocate to a city in one of the western time zones , then CBJ may yet still move to East
Chuck Klosterman
Govbarney

Unread postby Govbarney » Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:46 am

Well the NHLPA killed realignment. This is widely being seen as the opening salvo in what's likely going to be a bloody CBA fight this summer. Just when Hockey starts gaining alittle steam it looks like once again it is it's own worst enemy.
I understand the argument over having two 8 team conferences in the west and two 7 team conferences in the East. But change needs to be made , and I have yet to hear of a plan for realignment from the NHLPA.
Chuck Klosterman
Govbarney

Return to The Neutral Zone