Text Size

Cleveland Cavaliers & The NBA

Point Guards and Power Forwards - Cavs Trade Options?

Talk Cavs hoops and other items from the NBA here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, papacass

Point Guards and Power Forwards - Cavs Trade Options?

Unread postby swerb » Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:49 pm

PG - Baron Davis, Kyrie Irving, Ramon Sessions ... and two other small hybrids (Boobie and Manny Harris)

PF - Antawn Jamison, JJ Hickson, Tristan Thompson, Samardo Samuels, Luke Harangody ... and a stretch 3/4 in Justin Harper

Varejao our only center worth anything. And he prefers to play offense facing the basket.

Our twos and threes - Alonzo Gee, Anthony Parker, Eyenga.

We gots no wings.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Re: Point Guards and Power Forwards - Cavs Trade Options?

Unread postby JJN » Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:55 pm

When did we hire David fucking Kahn as our GM.
JJN

Favorite Player: Joe Haden
Least Favorite Player: David Stern

Unread postby daddywags » Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:00 pm

I'd say this:

Boobie is (and always has been) a 2, not a PG.

Manny Harris isn't worthy of another look even on this team.

PF is overloaded, but I expect something to happen with Jamison and Hickson mid-season.

If you're going to list Harangody, you need to list Erden at C, because I think that's the main guy we were after at the trade deadline last year.

Our wings suck. No way around that. But I will go out on a limb and say I was intrigued by the play of Alonzo Gee toward the end of last season. And that's coming from a guy who wanted him cut from the team in December.
daddywags

Unread postby Bayou Tribe » Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:15 pm

Harper dealt to Orlando for 2 future 2nd rounders
"Dammit you piss me off. I f#ckin hate you and I hope you f#cking get killed by a rabid polar bear you douche bag."

-- TIMMAH to CDT
Bayou Tribe
"Rickey wants to play baseball"

Favorite Player: Drew Brees
Least Favorite Player: Steve Smith

Unread postby JJN » Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:06 am

And we picked a Euro PF with our 2nd 2nd-rounder. Well planned draft. Now please excuse me while I go hang myself.
JJN

Unread postby Calis32 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:17 am

The irony is that CBS Sportsline asshat Dave Del Grande gave out grades for every pick in the draft and the only Cavs pick to get an "A" was Justin Harper, the guy we dealt to Orlando.

This guy is an idiot as evidenced by his "C" grade of the Irving pick and the "D" grade of the Thompson pick. Still, I think he may have been on to something though with his "F" grade of the Macvan selection.
Phil Taylor blocked me for telling him to get to training camp. F*** that guy.
Calis32

Favorite Player: Joe Thomas
Least Favorite Player: Josh Cribbs

Unread postby OldDawg » Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:55 pm

swerb wrote:PG - Baron Davis, Kyrie Irving, Ramon Sessions ... and two other small hybrids (Boobie and Manny Harris)

PF - Antawn Jamison, JJ Hickson, Tristan Thompson, Samardo Samuels, Luke Harangody ... and a stretch 3/4 in Justin Harper

Varejao our only center worth anything. And he prefers to play offense facing the basket.

Our twos and threes - Alonzo Gee, Anthony Parker, Eyenga.

We gots no wings.

The problem is, everyone knows we have a glut at PG and PF. We aren't really don't have much bargaining power at the trade negotiating table. People know we have to sell.
"The nose of the bulldog has been slanted backwards so that he can breathe without letting go." -- Winston Churchill
OldDawg

Favorite Player: Mark Price
Least Favorite Player: LePunk Jims

Unread postby motherscratcher » Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:55 pm

It's true...we aren't really don't have much...
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby leadpipe » Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:34 pm

The reality is they've got one point guard. The one they got last night.

How many teams left in this league are dim enough to believe Baron Davis is going to help them. For the hundreth time, he was in La La land, where all his ballyhooed off court endeavors would flourish the most. If he wasn't going to get his act together there, it ain't happening here.

You think you got a 70 game in shape player for this coming season? If you do, you don't follow the league.

It won't be the first time he's been the most talented guy on a squad, but can't help them win. A shame that perhaps the two biggest talents - one is a fat malcontent and the other is dumb as a stump.

C'mon Cavs, gotta make it happen.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby Orenthal » Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:50 pm

Your assets player wise are Andy, Jamo, Hickson, and Sessions.
"When a man with money meets a man with experience, the man with experience leaves with money and the man with money leaves with experience."
Orenthal

Favorite Player: Dan Gilbert
Least Favorite Player: Blacks, Gays, Poor

Unread postby swerb » Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:12 pm

I would do everything in my power to trade Baron Davis this off-season, even if it meant taking back an even worse contract. It will most likely be impossible to move him though.

It's our last chance. Kyrie's gonna be playing 30 min a night by Valentine's Day, and that, coupled with the onset of shitty Cleveland winter weather and the Cavs well on their way to another 55-60 loss season, means Davis is going to devolve into the fat locker room cancer that he's devolved into in every other city he's been in.

People act like because he came here and said the right things for a few months that he's been rehabilitated.

He is what he is. The Clippers were so desperate to get his ass away from their young talent, they gave away an unprotected lottery pick to do it.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby SoulDawg74 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:33 pm

swerb wrote:I would do everything in my power to trade Baron Davis this off-season, even if it meant taking back an even worse contract. It will most likely be impossible to move him though.

It's our last chance. Kyrie's gonna be playing 30 min a night by Valentine's Day, and that, coupled with the onset of shitty Cleveland winter weather and the Cavs well on their way to another 55-60 loss season, means Davis is going to devolve into the fat locker room cancer that he's devolved into in every other city he's been in.

People act like because he came here and said the right things for a few months that he's been rehabilitated.

He is what he is. The Clippers were so desperate to get his ass away from their young talent, they gave away an unprotected lottery pick to do it.

SD:

Before you get the rope and tie it around your neck ready to jump off a tressel in front of a moving train ,caution a word from our sponsor.

Byron Scott approached Davis prior to drafting Kyrie with the mention of supplying a mentoring situation , " supposedly" Davis welcomed the opportunity and looks forward to doing his part in this equation.

Yes the same baron Davis who gave Scott the blues the first time around , think of it as a reconciliation and a redo on both their parts , These things do happen albeit not with Cleveland teams struggling to rebound.

In addition on Tristan , first thing the wife says when she saw the choice , was thats a Scott pick all the way .

makes sense to add a more athletic version of Andy , ad a guy whose specialy is offensive rebounds and although his scoring output is weak , , its on par with Andy's skills when he earned playing tie with his relentless hustle and heart .

Unlike Phil Savage pickin 43 players to fill RAC's 34 defensive needs
, Scott has the two guys he needs to make this thing work as well as a Croatian hitman who will be our future Bill Lambier.

Netting two future seconds in a draft which has to be infinitely deeper than this drek was about all you were gonna net out of a draft which was 7 players deep .

Enis Kanter was the target there and we missed , rather than Grab a mike Junkin
snatching the best athlete who can play your type defense and run the floor is like picking a defensive lineman at 21 after trading down from 6 .

Not very sexy , but like drinking your milk getting your sleep eating right and making a religion on the fundamentals .

SoulDawg
SoulDawg74

Unread postby rebelwithoutaclue » Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:30 am

I would do everything in my power to trade Baron Davis this off-season, even if it meant taking back an even worse contract. It will most likely be impossible to move him though.

I don't think there's any way Baron Davis plays another game as a Cav. There's either going to be a loooong lockout or the two sides will make a deal including an amnesty clause whereby each team can remove one player from their salary cap by paying his full contract. Baron is that guy for the Cavs.

And SD a mentoring situation for Kyrie vis a vis Davis? If it were up to me, Irving would never even meet Davis to lessen the chance of any of Davis' innumerable bad habits rubbing off on him.
Fuck the Browns...
rebelwithoutaclue

Favorite Player: Kyrie Irving
Least Favorite Player: Mike Lombardi

Unread postby OldDawg » Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:27 am

Speaking of lockout, wouldn't it be a pisser if there is no NBA season next year (which a few have mentioned, but I don't see it happening)... and we passed on a guy because he couldn't play next year... when there is no next year.
"The nose of the bulldog has been slanted backwards so that he can breathe without letting go." -- Winston Churchill
OldDawg

Favorite Player: Mark Price
Least Favorite Player: LePunk Jims

Unread postby JJN » Sat Jun 25, 2011 3:13 pm

Kyrie seems infinitely mature, so I'm not too worried about BD's bad habits rubbing off on him.

SoulDawg74 wrote:In addition on Tristan , first thing the wife says when she saw the choice , was thats a Scott pick all the way .

makes sense to add a more athletic version of Andy , ad a guy whose specialy is offensive rebounds and although his scoring output is weak , its on par with Andy's skills when he earned playing tie with his relentless hustle and heart .

snatching the best athlete who can play your type defense and run the floor is like picking a defensive lineman at 21 after trading down from 6 .

Not very sexy , but like drinking your milk getting your sleep eating right and making a religion on the fundamentals .

SoulDawg

I guess I kinda get it, but no, not really. Andy is 3inches taller than TT, and can play the 4 and the 5. TT is barely tall enough to play the 4. He might be quick enough to guard some 3's, but that's based solely on his lane agility tests, not seeing him guard actual 3's. Andy also shot 20% better from the line in the Euro league than TT did in college.

More to the point, you don't draft Anderson Varejao with the 4th pick in any draft, no matter how crappy it is. At best, this kid is a very poor man's Okafor. Which might work for Scott, be we sure as hell don't have a David West on this team to make that work.
JJN

Unread postby Orenthal » Sat Jun 25, 2011 5:28 pm

RYAN HOLLINS PICKED UP HIS OPTION WOOHOOOOOOOOOO! Yes a legit 7 footer.
"When a man with money meets a man with experience, the man with experience leaves with money and the man with money leaves with experience."
Orenthal

Favorite Player: Dan Gilbert
Least Favorite Player: Blacks, Gays, Poor

Unread postby SoulDawg74 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:35 pm

Orenthal wrote:RYAN HOLLINS PICKED UP HIS OPTION WOOHOOOOOOOOOO! Yes a legit 7 footer.

SD:

That really takes away the sting over missing on Enis ,, tell me we have a Kahn sighting anytime soon and you could really make my day.

SoulDawg
SoulDawg74

Unread postby SoulDawg74 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:56 pm

JJN wrote:Kyrie seems infinitely mature, so I'm not too worried about BD's bad habits rubbing off on him.

SoulDawg74 wrote:In addition on Tristan , first thing the wife says when she saw the choice , was thats a Scott pick all the way .

makes sense to add a more athletic version of Andy , ad a guy whose specialy is offensive rebounds and although his scoring output is weak , its on par with Andy's skills when he earned playing tie with his relentless hustle and heart .

SoulDawg

I guess I kinda get it, but no, not really. Andy is 3inches taller than TT, and can play the 4 and the 5. TT is barely tall enough to play the 4. He might be quick enough to guard some 3's, but that's based solely on his lane agility tests, not seeing him guard actual 3's. Andy also shot 20% better from the line in the Euro league than TT did in college.

More to the point, you don't draft Anderson Varejao with the 4th pick in any draft, no matter how crappy it is. At best, this kid is a very poor man's Okafor. Which might work for Scott, be we sure as hell don't have a David West on this team to make that work.

SD:

Andy can be moved to a center spot to do what he does and we won't lose the scrappy cleanup man he gives you when JJ or Hollis are at center and he's dishing from power forward.

We have versatility now, on paper, if the kid pans out , we have it for real.

Moreover his presence means we've seen the last of lazy ass Jeron Howard {sp} for ever hopefully and those of his ilk who won't run and battle and scrap.

TT is the energizer bunny part duex, that type of selfless sacrifice is infectious , and is a future building block for the change which must come .

Tis isn't another Andy clone , this is much much more.

SoulDawg
SoulDawg74

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers & The NBA