Text Size

Cleveland Cavaliers & The NBA

Call the Picks

Talk Cavs hoops and other items from the NBA here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, papacass

Re: Call the Picks

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:39 pm

I would seriously think about Biyombo or Vala at six and no one else.

BTW: by all account Biyombo's US workouts have gone much better than the one in Europe
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby StewieG » Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:03 pm

Totally forgot about Biyombo. He'd probably be my pick if Vala isn't there.
StewieG

Favorite Player: Delonte MF'in West
Least Favorite Player: LeQuit

Unread postby motherscratcher » Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:08 pm

OldDawg wrote:
I know the Cavs have a lot of needs. But I think the NBA is a lot different than the NFL on draft day. In the NFL draft, you can make a case that quantity is more important than quality, because you need so many players. In the NBA I think it is all about quality. A ton of the guys drafted in only 2 rounds won't even make their teams. You need to try to draft stars. Look around.

It isn't so much that it would be quantity over quality. It's more a matter of giving yourself more chances that one of the guys you grabbed will be quality.

Everyone's taking for granted that who we grab at 1 and 4 will both be quality when the truth it that it's far more likely that at least one of them is a bust. If given the opportunity, and they are only moving down from 4 to 6, I'd rather take the chance on nailing 2/3 than trying to nail 2/2.
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby OldDawg » Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:11 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:The move down would be to grab Vala while still bringing in two rookies so Gilbert can get his nuts off about how much better the team will be.

It's actually brilliant and something I would love.

In a weak draft you are better off getting as many picks as you can because some of these guys will hit. Not playing Gilbert Fantasy World and trying to land the top two picks.

StewieG wrote:I've got no problems trading down a couple picks, still taking Vala (or T. Thompson, Burks, Klay Thompson, Singleton),

What about the early love for Bismack for us? Many on here saw him as a #4 pick early on. And the more I read about Vesely, the more intrigued I am with him. I still hope we get Kanter at 4.

Edit: was reading page 8 of the threads when posting this. I now see that Bismack's name popped up here on page 9.
"The nose of the bulldog has been slanted backwards so that he can breathe without letting go." -- Winston Churchill
OldDawg

Favorite Player: Mark Price
Least Favorite Player: LePunk Jims

Unread postby OldDawg » Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:16 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:I would seriously think about Biyombo or Vala at six and no one else.

BTW: by all account Biyombo's US workouts have gone much better than the one in Europe

Have the Cavs even had Biyombo, Vala, TT, or Vesely in for workouts?
"The nose of the bulldog has been slanted backwards so that he can breathe without letting go." -- Winston Churchill
OldDawg

Unread postby StewieG » Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:47 pm

OldDawg wrote:
e0y2e3 wrote:I would seriously think about Biyombo or Vala at six and no one else.

Have the Cavs even had Biyombo, Vala, TT, or Vesely in for workouts?

I'm pretty sure they saw Biyombo overseas, and I can pretty much guarantee they saw Vala. I saw something that said Vesely worked out for us (and some other teams) Sunday. Tristan Thompson worked out against Kanter and Markief Morris.

We've also worked out Tobias Harris, Marcus Morris, Jordan Williams, Cory Joseph, Chris Singleton, Diante Garrett, Marshon Brooks, Malcolm Thomas, Julyan Stone, Corey Stokes, Xavi Ravaseda, David Lighty, Alec Burks, Kawhi Leonard, Iman Shumpert, Jimmy Butler, Mark Payne, and Chandler Parsons.
StewieG

Unread postby Orenthal » Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:00 pm

"When a man with money meets a man with experience, the man with experience leaves with money and the man with money leaves with experience."
Orenthal

Favorite Player: Dan Gilbert
Least Favorite Player: Blacks, Gays, Poor

Unread postby pup » Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:39 am

I think someone on these boards mentioned the trade w/ Washington a couple days ago?
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby StewieG » Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:49 pm

Back to the original theme of the thread, I think we end up with Irving and Valanciunas.

After looking at everything, they're my top 2 prospects, followed by Williams, Kanter, Biyombo, Burks.
StewieG

Unread postby Orenthal » Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:40 pm

I obviously go...
1.)Irving - No brainer BPA. Point guard league, does everything well.
2.)Kanter - NBA body now, can face up to 18+ and has polish in the post.
Pending lockout length is under our immediate control.

Grant talking like he will use 1 and 4.*

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/draft2011 ... id=6691980

*QUALIFIED KNOWING THAT ALL TALK AT THIS POINT IS MEANINGLESS. FUCK OFF.
"When a man with money meets a man with experience, the man with experience leaves with money and the man with money leaves with experience."
Orenthal

Unread postby Orenthal » Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:00 pm

Amick's latest Mock.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/w ... index.html

oh boy. I just know nothing of Tristan.
Orenthal

Unread postby JJN » Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:16 pm

There is more smoke coming out of the Cavs FO than if you left a door open at a Phish concert, so take everything with a grain of salt today. I don't think we take Tristan, though I've heard he could be as good defensively Bismack, with more offense.

Kings seem to be more and more interested in shopping #7. If the Jazz take Kanter, they might swap for Knight, though I'm not sure what else they would throw in for us.

In other news, Amico said that between Kanter and Vala, he would take Kanter. Should cement us taking Vala at #4 either way, no?
JJN

Favorite Player: Joe Haden
Least Favorite Player: David Stern

Unread postby JJN » Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:20 pm

http://www.draftexpress.com/article/DX- ... rrish-3768

Givony said that Bismack was destroying Morris and Tristan Thompson in Detroit, and the closest we have seen to D12 in years.
JJN

Unread postby Orenthal » Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:44 pm

If Kanter is taken 3, and Vala is no longer an option at 4, what do you offer Utah to get Kanter?

Provided he was a target, and they don't think they have value at 4? That were to happen I take Vala regardless and do my best to educate the fanbase and Gilbert. ;-) ;) :wink:
Orenthal

Unread postby StewieG » Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:18 pm

Orenthal wrote:If Kanter is taken 3, and Vala is no longer an option at 4, what do you offer Utah to get Kanter?

Provided he was a target, and they don't think they have value at 4? That were to happen I take Vala regardless and do my best to educate the fanbase and Gilbert. ;-) ;) :wink:

I don't even call Utah. At that point I call Sacramento and see if they have any interest in Knight. If they do, I see if they're interested in taking #4 and #32 (or 54) for #7 and next year's first. If they are, then I take Vala/Biyombo at 7. If they're not, then I take Vala/Biyombo at 4.
StewieG

Unread postby Triple-S » Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:25 pm

DraftExpress Jonathan Givony
Not sure I quite believe this yet, but Minnesota is apparently telling NBA teams that they are taking Enes Kanter #2 over Derrick Williams.

Here's an interesting scenario. likely bullshit, but it's fun to speculate

You're sitting there at 4, Utah is on the clock, Williams is there. How quickly does Comic Sans get on the phone to grant to beg for a deal of some sorts?
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories

Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Unread postby OldDawg » Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:51 pm

The spirit of OJ is seeping thru my keyboard and into my fingertips. To me, if we don't come out with Irving and Kanter, I will be deeply disappointed. Now if Kanter goes at 2 or 3, oh well.

I mean, we got a ton of mileage (and a few all star appearances) out of a much slower and less athletic version of Kanter with Z. Don't you guys think Kanter's upside is way above Zs?
OldDawg

Unread postby JJN » Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:10 pm

OldDawg wrote:I mean, we got a ton of mileage (and a few all star appearances) out of a much slower and less athletic version of Kanter with Z. Don't you guys think Kanter's upside is way above Zs?

Uh, maybe. Z did a pretty decent job, given his physical limitations, on stepping out on pick and rolls, and defending the post (excepting Howard or Shaq). Kanter hasn't shown that he is interested in defense. Z was a truly gifted rebounder. He was never going to out jump someone, but he had a great nose for the ball, especially on the offensive glass. Kanter has been rebounding against kids that were way smaller than him, or in all-star style games. He may be a very good rebounder, he may be an ok rebounder. No idea, he could be the next Darko, and has way more Darko risk than any of the other big international names.
JJN

Unread postby Madre Hill, Superstar » Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:53 pm

Triple-S wrote:You're sitting there at 4, Utah is on the clock, Williams is there. How quickly does Comic Sans get on the phone to grant to beg for a deal of some sorts?

Why would he? Utah already has Milsap, AJ, Favors, AK, and Hayward. After the past couple months, I'm having a harder time thinking Utah passes the easy hometown pick here.
"The fucking Who...... If I want to watch old people run around ill go set fire to a nursing home." - CDT
Madre Hill, Superstar
Eternal Optimist

Favorite Player: The Playa
Least Favorite Player: The Game

Unread postby Madre Hill, Superstar » Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:02 pm

Calling my shots here:

With the first pick, and surprising absolutely no one, the Cavs pick Kyrie Irving.
With the second pick, the Timberwolves pick Enes Kanter, thus creating the first-ever Double Darko. What does it mean? Bad basketball, that's what.
With the third pick, the Angel Moroni descends from the heavens to hand David Stern the slip saying 'Jimmer Fredette'.
With the fourth pick, no sooner has Stern finished pronouncing 'Jimmer' than Dan Gilbert rushes the stage, bowls over the angel, and announces the Cavs are selecting Derrick Williams.
With the fifth pick, aw hell, who cares at this point. Wake us when we get to the second round.
"The fucking Who...... If I want to watch old people run around ill go set fire to a nursing home." - CDT
Madre Hill, Superstar
Eternal Optimist

Favorite Player: The Playa
Least Favorite Player: The Game

Unread postby StewieG » Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:39 pm

One guy I really like if we end up scoring a pick in the late teens/20's is Nikola Mirotic. He's not coming over here for 3 years, but apparently he's really got some talent. He's the kind of guy the Spurs always draft, and I'd really like to get him before they do.
StewieG

Unread postby OldDawg » Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:59 pm

Madre Hill, Superstar wrote:Calling my shots here:

With the first pick, and surprising absolutely no one, the Cavs pick Kyrie Irving.
With the second pick, the Timberwolves pick Enes Kanter, thus creating the first-ever Double Darko. What does it mean? Bad basketball, that's what.
With the third pick, the Angel Moroni descends from the heavens to hand David Stern the slip saying 'Jimmer Fredette'.
With the fourth pick, no sooner has Stern finished pronouncing 'Jimmer' than Dan Gilbert rushes the stage, bowls over the angel, and announces the Cavs are selecting Derrick Williams.
With the fifth pick, aw hell, who cares at this point. Wake us when we get to the second round.

I seriously just got done watching the movie "Inception" just seconds ago. What level of dream is this??
OldDawg

Unread postby Triple-S » Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:48 pm

JVG on the NBA Draft preview show is..wow a million times better in that role, than as a color guy,

Seems well-spoken, and knowledgeable about the game, doesn't seem to be just joking around and rambling on during the actual action.

THAT's the JVG I'd like to see.
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S

Unread postby StewieG » Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:53 pm

TheHoopsReport.com is reporting on twitter that Biyombo has a medical red flag concerning his back.

BREAKING: I was told by a trusted league source today at NBA Draft media day that Bismack Biyombo has a medical red flag with his back.

The source said they still expect Biyombo to be drafted either at 8 by the Pistons or 9 by the Bobcats, despite the back issue.

If Biyombo slips past 9, he could easily slide to 19, or even further, a la DeJuan Blair when he had his medical red flag.

Not quite sure yet how reputable he is. Without knowing more, I'll file this away as "interesting".
StewieG

Unread postby JJN » Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:39 am

Madre Hill, Superstar wrote:Calling my shots here:

No way the Jazz take Jimmer over Knight or Kemba. Kevin O'Conner doesn't give two shits if the fans want Jimmer at 3 or not.

I'll call mine:
Cavs - Irving
Wolves - Dwill
Jazz - Knight
Wiz - Kanter
Raps - Kemba
Cavs - Jonas

If Jazz take Kanter, we take Jonas anyway and the Raps take Knight. It all hinges on those damn Mormons. Latter-day pains in the ass.
JJN

Unread postby pup » Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:12 am

The Bucks are open to moving Corey Maggette in a trade, according to ESPN.com.
The Bucks are reportedly trying to move out of the No. 10 spot, but someone would likely have to take Maggette's contract off their hands. The oft-injured swingman is owed about $21.1 million over the final two years of his deal. That's a tough pill to swallow considering Maggette is entering his age-32 season.

A possibility? If peeps are scared away by the fact that Lithuanian cat won't play next year, use the magic bullet and take Maggette and the #10? Is that better than Rip and the #8?

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Unread postby rebelwithoutaclue » Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:25 am

pup wrote:
The Bucks are reportedly trying to move out of the No. 10 spot, but someone would likely have to take Maggette's contract off their hands. The oft-injured swingman is owed about $21.1 million over the final two years of his deal. That's a tough pill to swallow considering Maggette is entering his age-32 season.

A possibility? If peeps are scared away by the fact that Lithuanian cat won't play next year, use the magic bullet and take Maggette and the #10? Is that better than Rip and the #8?

I dunno, Maggette is just such a black hole offensively that I think it would be detrimental to Irving's development having to pass to Maggette and then stand around and watch him go 1-on-1 vs. his defender. And having Maggette and Davis both on the same team? Couldn't be two worse guys for Irving to watch and get bad habits from. I'd rather have Rip and the 8.
Fuck the Browns...
rebelwithoutaclue

Favorite Player: Kyrie Irving
Least Favorite Player: Mike Lombardi

Unread postby Kingpin74 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:49 am

I dunno, Maggette is just such a black hole offensively that I think it would be detrimental to Irving's development having to pass to Maggette and then stand around and watch him go 1-on-1 vs. his defender. And having Maggette and Davis both on the same team? Couldn't be two worse guys for Irving to watch and get bad habits from. I'd rather have Rip and the 8.

Supposedly Rip said no at the trading deadline and the Pistons said no a few weeks ago. Plus if they think Maggette is that much of a cancer, they can just cut him (potential amnesty clause coming as well). This trade would be about the draft pick. I just don't know if we can do any better with the trade exception at this point.
"Well then I guess there's only one thing left to do...win the whole, f***in', thing."- Jake Taylor
Kingpin74

Favorite Player: Mario Lemieux
Least Favorite Player: Dwight Howard

Unread postby pup » Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:49 am

rebelwithoutaclue wrote:
pup wrote:

Buy him out. Just like they would for Rip.

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Unread postby motherscratcher » Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:00 am

Kingpin74 wrote:

Supposedly Rip said no at the trading deadline and the Pistons said no a few weeks ago. Plus if they think Maggette is that much of a cancer, they can just cut him (potential amnesty clause coming as well). This trade would be about the draft pick. I just don't know if we can do any better with the trade exception at this point.

My limited knowledge of all things NBA accepted, I find it astounding that the Cavs would be unable to turn the TPE into a future #1 in either 2011 or 2012, considering the reported financial state of some NBA franchises.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:08 am

The only reason to not do a deal w/ the Bucks (who are openly begging out of a bad contract) would be because all of you and your "TMLP WAS GOING TO BUY RIP AND BARON AT THE SAME TIME" are flat wrong and TMLP is only going to eat one bad contract at a time.

Buying Maggette out wouldn't be a problem.

Side note: Lamar Odom potentially getting shipped to philly make a lot of sense basketball wise for Philly, but I will pay to see the look on his face if the deal goes through.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:09 am

And I'm glad that you have been paying attention to why the TPE needs to be used now mother... :FACEPALM:

WE HAVEN'T GONE OVER IT TEN TIMES NOW OR ANYTHING... :FACEPALM:

I SENTENCE YOU TO READING MORE OJ RUMOR BLABBLE!!!
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby pup » Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:09 am

e0y2e3 wrote:The only reason to not do a deal w/ the Bucks (who are openly begging out of a bad contract) would be because all of you and your "TMLP WAS GOING TO BUY RIP AND BARON AT THE SAME TIME" are flat wrong and TMLP is only going to eat one bad contract at a time.

So if they do it, are you changing your tune on Da Prick?

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:11 am

On the whole, absolutely not. He will remain a loud mouthed wanna-be Cuban who has too much influence of basketball decisions.

That said, I will bow to him proving that he is will to deficit spend to win, something we really have no idea about thus far.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby motherscratcher » Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:16 am

Dude, I understand that the TPE is expiring. It just seems shitty to me that, in the end, the best we will be able to do with it is the 10 in this shitty draft and Corey fucking Maggette, who will then be bought out.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:20 am

motherscratcher wrote:Dude, I understand that the TPE is expiring. It just seems shitty to me that, in the end, the best we will be able to do with it is the 10 in this shitty draft and Corey fucking Maggette, who will then be bought out.

A lottery pick, even in a shitty draft, is nothing to sneeze at for the TPE.

It's not Rudy Gay, but we aren't the ones who shot that deal down.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby pup » Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:23 am

Let's get nuts.

Trade the #4 for #6 and #18.

Trade for the #10 and Cory.

1. Irving
6. Kawhi Leonard
10. Klay Thompson
18. Kyle Singler

PG - Kyrie
SG - Thompson
SF - Leonard
PF - Hickson
C - Andy

Bench
PG
Baron
Sessions
SG
Boobie
Eyenga
SF
Magette
Singler
PF
Samuels
Harongody
C
Hollins
Erden

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Unread postby motherscratcher » Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:25 am

e0y2e3 wrote:
motherscratcher wrote:Dude, I understand that the TPE is expiring. It just seems shitty to me that, in the end, the best we will be able to do with it is the 10 in this shitty draft and Corey fucking Maggette, who will then be bought out.

A lottery pick, even in a shitty draft, is nothing to sneeze at for the TPE.

It's not Rudy Gay, but we aren't the ones who shot that deal down.

Ok, I'll buy that.

How many picks in the same draft are too many? If this goes down are we better off with Vala specifically because we wouldn't have to carry him this year?
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Unread postby Orenthal » Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:27 am

Orenthal

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:29 am

I'm amped up about Vala right now because he is a potential franchise center and not having him next year gets you more ping pong balls.

Cavs had him in for a secret meeting last night according to DX. OJ, of course, won't tell anyone that though.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby Orenthal » Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:32 am

GIVONY HAS KANTER @12 RATED PROSPECT!!!

:spanky: :spanky: :spanky: :spanky: :spanky:

Not upset if they take Vala and suck another year to get a wing in a deep draft at that position. Life is nothing but a series of disappointments...
Orenthal

Unread postby Orenthal » Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:35 am

<Giving this Kings blabber substance>

1.)Irving
4.)Kanter
7.)Vala

SLOW WHITE FRONTLINE!
Orenthal

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:36 am

Something tells me even if they take a center this year you'll still be spending your special night time watching the biggest and slowest post scorer to come out next year.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby Orenthal » Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:38 am

I'm finishing some Pella windows here at home, and am knee deep in wiping stain and polyurethane fumes.

YEEHAW!
Orenthal

Unread postby Triple-S » Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:40 am

<Has been enjoying the takes and posted tweets in threads.

Triple-S

Unread postby OldDawg » Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:20 pm

chadfordinsider Chad Ford
Draft Buzz: Cavs trying to get a third lottery pick. Offering to take back a bad deal. Kings & Pistons are targets. espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/…
OldDawg

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:28 pm

Ford (in his article) just sort of said maybe the Cavs called those two teams.

And honestly after the save the team issues, the Maloof issues and considering the fact that the Kings are way below the cap trading a top seven pick to save twelve million over two years will get the arena burned down by a riot of angry kings fans.

Zero. Chance. Of. Happening.

Now, well, Detroit is in a whole different mess.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby JJN » Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:50 pm

Just like I already have a pitchfork and some extra torches in my truck in case the Cavs grab Williams over Irving.
JJN

Unread postby Triple-S » Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:57 pm

jimrome Jim Rome
Derrick Williams tells The Jungle it was 70-30 the Cavs take Kyrie Irving with the first pick. After his workout, he says he thinks 50-50.
2 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply
»
Ric Bucher
RicBucher Ric Bucher
by FSOhioZJackson
League sources now believe Jonas Valanciunas goes to Cavs at #4 even if Enes Kanter is still on the board. Story on the mothership shortly.

Triple-S

Unread postby rebelwithoutaclue » Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:16 pm

Kingpin74 wrote:

I figure they'd use the amnesty buyout on Baron Davis' contract so to take back another terrible contract just for another lottery pick would be counter-productive, at least in this draft.
Fuck the Browns...
rebelwithoutaclue

Favorite Player: Kyrie Irving
Least Favorite Player: Mike Lombardi

PreviousNext

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers & The NBA