Text Size

Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture

Green Lantern

Title is self explanatory. Discuss Hollywood, films, TV, and anything else from the entertainment world here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, mitch

Green Lantern

Unread postby mitch » Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:45 pm

The gone-but-not-forgotten (or missed) Macphisto might be ready to kill himself, if he hasn't already.

But it looks as if Green Lantern is going to tank, big time. Currently sitting at only 24% positive on Rottentomatoes. I expect that to get worse, as the first reviews posted on RT tends to be from the geekier type of reviewers.

$300 million for a movie that looks to be a mess (but I'll try to keep an open mind...I won't be seeing it until next Monday as I'm out of town this weekend).
mitch

Favorite Player: Joe Thomas
Least Favorite Player: Ben Toothlessburger

Re: Green Lantern

Unread postby hiko » Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:36 am

Zero interest in that. Ryan Reynolds made a poor decision when selecting his "star-making" role.
hiko

Favorite Player: Gray
Least Favorite Player: Black and White

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:13 pm

The Phist decreed The Dark Knight one of the greatest films ever made.

On that scale I am sure he will find this pile of deuce just fine.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:14 pm

Also, I saw Tree of Life last week and my head still hurts.

BTW: while I get that probably no one reading here will ever actually see Tree of Life, shocked a movie with as much press right now didn't even make your Crystal Ball Mitch.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby mitch » Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:38 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:Also, I saw Tree of Life last week and my head still hurts.

BTW: while I get that probably no one reading here will ever actually see Tree of Life, shocked a movie with as much press right now didn't even make your Crystal Ball Mitch.

I take a look at what's being released nationwide, and I don't touch on the "limited releases" as there are just too damn many of them. So if it's not a certainty that everyone reading the article can end up seeing the film in the month it's released, I don't bring it up.

Tree of Life is still just playing on 47 theaters total. If it looks like it will get a wide release in July, I'll talk about it then.

Or not. I still haven't forgiven Malick for "The New World".
mitch

Favorite Player: Joe Thomas
Least Favorite Player: Ben Toothlessburger

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:55 pm

Oh, I wouldn’t recommend you recommending it. Just figured you would mention it as no matter what it will end up one of the more “important” films of the year.

As I said my head still hurts and I’m still trying to unravel it. I bounce between that was bad and that was pretty cool daily. Possibly the most aspiring film I’ve ever seen and something that demands respect even if you hated it (which I may have, I don’t know). My head hurts right now just thinking about it. The abstract goes insane at the end, the wind is very long, and the opening birthing of earth/dinosaur segment seems to take a half an hour before throwing you into the 1950’s family/character/love piece. A couple of people sitting behind me started literally asking the movie to end w/ about 15 minutes left. Peeps sitting in front of me sat in the theater after the movie reveling in it’s brilliance for 15+ minutes after the movie. Just hard to explain and not something I would risk recommending to anyone. I didn’t get as introspective as others have but it does make you think at some point about exactly where you sit in the middle of everything.

Absolutely the opposite of the Summer blockbuster.

Beautiful cinematography though.

And next time I see it I’ll be finding something extra to be under the influence of. Maybe then I’ll figure out how I feel about it. I’m probably going to settle somewhere between not really loving it but respecting the aspirations and boundary pushing.

Dude went art, that is for sure.

I getchya on the nationwide thing. I saw it at one of our "big" theators, not even one of the indy theators that have had it for a couple of weeks so I figured it was going national. Meh.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:03 pm

And there is the fact that I saw it a week ago and I'm still sitting here at work dwelling on the damn thing.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby HoodooMan » Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:20 pm

hiko wrote:Zero interest in that. Ryan Reynolds made a poor decision when selecting his "star-making" role.

Blake Lively.
Q: What is the best/craziest location you've ever gotten lucky A: Mens room. Death Valley. (Fire Marshall Bill, 08/13/10)

...doesn't mean we cannot call you a spade when you are one. (donnyunitas, 10/21/09)

Plus it's kinda personal for me... I have a lot of family and friends who are Ducks... (angrybeaver, 11/08/09)
HoodooMan
The King

Favorite Player: Big_Lu
Least Favorite Player: Foldtop Sandwich Bag

Unread postby Triple-S » Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:57 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:The Phist decreed The Dark Knight one of the greatest films ever made.

The phist is at RCF, I shit you not.
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories

Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:12 am

If I weren't allergic to RCF I would go over there and paste his 100K word thesis on why LBJ is going to sign an extension to make the most money and be a Cav for life.

The Phist guaranteed it!!!

I can hit MYoung on Twitter whenever I want. That covers any RCF insight actually offered (unless Douglar is still around there, but I doubt it)

Man the old Fanhome Cavs board was great back in the day.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby Triple-S » Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:31 am

27 posts in a year! Post more often man, great stuff about CV today.

From his profile comment box thing, someone said this about the man who played touch football w/mitt.
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories

Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Unread postby mattvan1 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:51 pm

Triple-S wrote:
27 posts in a year! Post more often man, great stuff about CV today.

From his profile comment box thing, someone said this about the man who played touch football w/mitt.

It's one thing to be Macphisto.

It's another thing to be the guy who stalks Macphisto
I don't need to be patient, they're going to be shit forever.
- CDT, discussing my favorite NFL team
mattvan1

Return to Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture