Text Size

No Holds Barred

Microdiscectomy; any thoughts?

Need to get something off your chest? Have a topic that doesn't fit one of the other forums? Rant away in here. Mature audiences only, not for the easily offended.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, Ziner

Microdiscectomy; any thoughts?

Unread postby gotribe31 » Fri May 06, 2011 10:54 am

Long story short, started feeling pain in my left leg a year ago. Kept playing baseball/softball/golfing etc, and it kept getting gradually worse. Went to PT. No change. Got steroid injections into my spine, no change. Took oral steroid, no change. More PT, no change. Now I can't run, swing a bat/club, or even sit in a chair for more than an hr or so the pain is so bad.

Finally went to a suregon, who took one look at the MRI and said that a microdiscectomy could fix it, no problem. I've done some research online, and it looks like a pretty simple procedure. But I'm not even 30 yet, and don't particuarly want to have back surgery unless it's the only option. Anyone have this procedure before? Or have friends/family who have had the procedure? Would love to hear from someone who's actually had it done to see if it really helps or not. Thanks in advance.
You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves
-----Abe Lincoln

Let me tell you, if any of you douchebag empty headed stuffed suit nanny politicians tries to fuck with my bacon, I’m going after you like a crazed chimpanzee on bath salts.
-----Lars
gotribe31

Favorite Player: Francisco Lindor
Least Favorite Player: Michigan

Re: Microdiscectomy; any thoughts?

Unread postby motherscratcher » Fri May 06, 2011 10:59 am

Have you tried a chiropractor? I've never been to one myself, but a lot of people swear by them. No idea if it would help in your case but I might try that before surgery.
Shit The Bed For Ted

- Matty Toes (Vandelay Industries)
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby gotribe31 » Fri May 06, 2011 11:00 am

I have in the past, and my understanding from the docs I have seen is that it wouldn't help in my case.
You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves
-----Abe Lincoln

Let me tell you, if any of you douchebag empty headed stuffed suit nanny politicians tries to fuck with my bacon, I’m going after you like a crazed chimpanzee on bath salts.
-----Lars
gotribe31

Unread postby pup » Fri May 06, 2011 11:12 am

My best friend had it done and here are his thoughts verbatim:

Saved me. I was in really bad shape and for an in and out procedure it was worth it for me. 6 weeks recovery with rehab and I had no pain and am still good.

I think it has been about 4/5 years since he had it done.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby gotribe31 » Fri May 06, 2011 11:20 am

pup wrote:My best friend had it done and here are his thoughts verbatim:

Saved me. I was in really bad shape and for an in and out procedure it was worth it for me. 6 weeks recovery with rehab and I had no pain and am still good.

Awesome, thanks. Was he able to play sports/run/workout in 6 weeks? I want to be able to golf in the TCF outing this year.
-----Abe Lincoln

-----Lars
gotribe31

Unread postby pup » Fri May 06, 2011 11:40 am

gotribe31 wrote:
pup wrote:My best friend had it done and here are his thoughts verbatim:

Awesome, thanks. Was he able to play sports/run/workout in 6 weeks? I want to be able to golf in the TCF outing this year.

He had said he got it done in October and he is a lazy SOB in the winter so he didn't really try much until the following summer. I will ask him though.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby peeker643 » Fri May 06, 2011 2:26 pm

If you're having leg pain that's lumbar surgery. What level are the herniations/impingements?

I had the cervical fusion 3 years ago and it, like Pup's buddy who I also know, saved me too.

Mine was multiple level and they went through the throat, added part of some dead guys hip bone to my neck and bolted it all in.

If you can relieve that shit without adding hardware and either yours or someone else's bone in your back then hell yes, get it done if:

You Trust the doctor.

If you do get it done and you'll be amazed at how much better you feel. And it affects the rest of your body. Hips, mid and upper back, neck, etc will all be better off with you not compensating for back issues. You won't wake up, you won't have stand every 20 minutes cuz you're dying from sitting, planes aren't a whore, etc....
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby gotribe31 » Fri May 06, 2011 6:23 pm

peeker643 wrote:If you're having leg pain that's lumbar surgery. What level are the herniations/impingements?

I had the cervical fusion 3 years ago and it, like Pup's buddy who I also know, saved me too.

Mine was multiple level and they went through the throat, added part of some dead guys hip bone to my neck and bolted it all in.

If you can relieve that shit without adding hardware and either yours or someone else's bone in your back then hell yes, get it done if:

You Trust the doctor.

If you do get it done and you'll be amazed at how much better you feel. And it affects the rest of your body. Hips, mid and upper back, neck, etc will all be better off with you not compensating for back issues. You won't wake up, you won't have stand every 20 minutes cuz you're dying from sitting, planes aren't a whore, etc....

Doc said fusion wasn't necessary, but would be eventually if I didn't get my fat ass in shape. I replied that if he made my leg pain go away, I would be able to get my fat ass in shape.

Doc did his ortho spike surgery fellowship at the Cleveland Clinic, and worked on the Olympic ski team from there. So I trust him, just wanted to get a feeling on what someone who had the surgery thought of it. So Pup, thanks again.

The plane ride from AZ back to DC after spring training was the most miserable experience of my entire life. 5 hrs of pure hell. That's really what pushed me to surgery. That and the fact that there might be an NFL players strike and since I was pretty much just a slower, less athletic version of Evan Moore in college, I'm pretty sure I can be a scab.
-----Abe Lincoln

-----Lars
gotribe31

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Fri May 06, 2011 7:07 pm

Good luck with your surgery, hope everything goes well and you're pain free.

:cheers:
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby motherscratcher » Fri May 06, 2011 7:25 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:Good luck with your surgery, hope everything goes well and you're pain free.

You don't know anything about microdisectomy surgery.
Shit The Bed For Ted

motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Fri May 06, 2011 7:32 pm

motherscratcher wrote:
Cerebral_DownTime wrote:Good luck with your surgery, hope everything goes well and you're pain free.

You don't know anything about microdisectomy surgery.

True.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby mistero » Fri May 06, 2011 11:27 pm

I am involved in spine surgeries for a living. Microdisc is like preseason. Easy, beginner stuff. Nothing ever goes wrong and no one breaks a sweat. Do it man, and feel better.
In Chud We Trust
mistero

Favorite Player: Miller High Life
Least Favorite Player: Natural Light

Unread postby gotribe31 » Mon May 09, 2011 3:59 pm

Thanks again, appreciate it! Scheduled it for May 17. Wish me luck.
-----Abe Lincoln

-----Lars
gotribe31

Unread postby skatingtripods » Mon May 09, 2011 4:57 pm

gotribe31 wrote:Thanks again, appreciate it! Scheduled it for May 17. Wish me luck.

Good luck man. I'll be in jury duty. I wonder which of us will be in worse shape.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby gotribe31 » Mon May 09, 2011 6:02 pm

skatingtripods wrote:
gotribe31 wrote:Thanks again, appreciate it! Scheduled it for May 17. Wish me luck.

Good luck man. I'll be in jury duty. I wonder which of us will be in worse shape.

Well, I'll have access to my couch, xbox, 55" TV, blu-ray player and laptop. Plus some pretty good painkillers. I'll let you decide.
-----Abe Lincoln

-----Lars
gotribe31

Unread postby motherscratcher » Mon May 09, 2011 9:54 pm

gotribe31 wrote:
skatingtripods wrote:

Well, I'll have access to my couch, xbox, 55" TV, blu-ray player and laptop. Plus some pretty good painkillers. I'll let you decide.

How long will it be before you can travel?

As in, will you be making it to any more Tribe games?
Shit The Bed For Ted

motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Unread postby skatingtripods » Mon May 09, 2011 9:59 pm

motherscratcher wrote:How long will it be before you can travel?

I think I remember Al saying he was going to be in town this weekend. Not sure if that's changed.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby gotribe31 » Tue May 10, 2011 11:38 am

skatingtripods wrote:
motherscratcher wrote:How long will it be before you can travel?

I think I remember Al saying he was going to be in town this weekend. Not sure if that's changed.

Yeah, I was supposed to head to C-Bus and Cleveland the week of the 23rd, and was going to hit up games before/after and duringing that week. With the uptick in workload lately and the surgery keeping me out of the office for a couple days, I don't think that is going to happen. I will get to see Akron later this week when they come to Bowie though.

From what the doc said, I'll be able to drive at least short distances within a couple of days. From there, it's just pain tolerance. So yeah, I'll absolutely be back in Cleveland for some Indians games at some point this year, probably in June/July timeframe.
-----Abe Lincoln

-----Lars
gotribe31

Unread postby pod2dawg » Fri May 20, 2011 10:30 am

GoTribe- Micro is the way to go if you gotta go. There is always a risk involved in any surgery. Infection rate < 2%, failure etc. It's risk vs. reward, and knowing you have exhausted all conservative treatment available. My partner had microdisc surgery done and he said upon awakening from the procedure he immediately knew he was cured. He is a thrilled with the results.

Minimal risk for huge upside results. Good luck with your surgery and God Bless LaPorta!
pod2dawg
Warrior Poet aka Thread Killer

Favorite Player: Phil Gordon
Least Favorite Player: Lane Kiffin

Unread postby gotribe31 » Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:24 pm

Appreciate everyone's insight on this. I had the procedure on 5/17 and felt ok afterwards, but somehow the same disc re-herniated and I have to go in again on Tuesday for #2. Doc said it happens 5-10% of the time and I'm just unlucky that way. Says it almost never happens 3 times, so I should be in the clear after this one.

Mistero, that make sense to you? Could it really re-herniate that fast in the same spot or should I get a 2nd opinion?
-----Abe Lincoln

-----Lars
gotribe31

Unread postby mistero » Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:49 am

Sorry for the late response. I see some re-do's. It's not that rare. I can't say why it happens though. My gut feeling is they try to be a little too conservative and then don't get the job done 100% the first time.

Hard to say. I hope the second time is the charm for you.
In Chud We Trust
mistero

Favorite Player: Miller High Life
Least Favorite Player: Natural Light

Unread postby gotribe31 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:57 am

mistero wrote:Sorry for the late response. I see some re-do's. It's not that rare. I can't say why it happens though. My gut feeling is they try to be a little too conservative and then don't get the job done 100% the first time.

Hard to say. I hope the second time is the charm for you.

Thanks, appreciate it. Hopefully tomorrow fixes it.
-----Abe Lincoln

-----Lars
gotribe31

Return to No Holds Barred