Text Size

College Sports Arena

Road to Omaha

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

Road to Omaha

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Tue May 31, 2011 1:21 pm

http://www.kentstatesports.com/sports/b ... 0530fngcqb

Way to go Flashes- suck it Spin!

Another MAC title, and off to the Austin regional. I like them against Texas State, but Texas is a huge hurdle to the Super Regionals.

And props to UVA- F'n studs. ACC baseball is on some of the local channels here, and that conference is loaded.
This natural coozy comes free with every Miller Time
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Favorite Player: 1995 Indians
Least Favorite Player: Global Warming

Re: Road to Omaha

Unread postby dmiles » Tue May 31, 2011 2:32 pm

One Big10 team. We were kicking around the idea of kid firing off a letter to express interest in OSU, as his "reach school" although I am not sure where he'll be in two years (mentally or physically). Right now all he wants is an earring and a tattoo so I am not sure if that's a sign he's fading out, or that he he'll fit right in... The kids around here who go play at Stetson and UCF are clearly picking stronger baseball schools. NCAA Baseball is funny like that.

Warrior do you know how the field of 64 is chosen? I understand the double-elim and super regionals to the CWS, but wasn't sure about how the field was chosen. Is it similar to Hoops? I see references to RPIs and such but what I mean to ask is are there guaranteed bids for most D1 conferences?
On Twitter @DaBashers
dmiles

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Tue May 31, 2011 3:09 pm

dmiles wrote: Warrior do you know how the field of 64 is chosen?

Bids to conference champs, RPI, advisory committee opinions (there's too much baseball for any one panel to see), and head-to-head match ups. Slightly more subjective than hoops, but similar.

As long as your son has 3.0, he can play ball somewhere. Might not be where he wants to go, but there are lots of DIII places looking for ball players. And if he is good enough for a DI school, tell him to wait until he gets to college, I hear they provide players with things like cars, tattoos, and clothes. I bet if he's good enough, they'll toss in an earring.
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:29 pm

Tough draw for the Golden Flashes, Texas is real good. And I'm sure playing the sudden death game in the surface of the sun didn't help the Ohio boys.

UVA headed on to the SRs- wahoo wa!
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Unread postby Bayou Tribe » Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:01 am

fuck college baseball
"Dammit you piss me off. I f#ckin hate you and I hope you f#cking get killed by a rabid polar bear you douche bag."

-- TIMMAH to CDT
Bayou Tribe
"Rickey wants to play baseball"

Favorite Player: Drew Brees
Least Favorite Player: Steve Smith

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:39 am

Bayou Tribe wrote:fuck college baseball

I didn't realize southern grapes were so tart.
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Unread postby Bayou Tribe » Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:01 am

Erie Warrior wrote:
Bayou Tribe wrote:fuck college baseball

I didn't realize southern grapes were so tart.

I'm sure once they hit Omaha I'll watch some, but this season was tough to take.
"Dammit you piss me off. I f#ckin hate you and I hope you f#cking get killed by a rabid polar bear you douche bag."

-- TIMMAH to CDT
Bayou Tribe

Unread postby dmiles » Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:38 pm

Bayou how did BBCOR affect LSU's power numbers?
On Twitter @DaBashers
dmiles

Unread postby Spin » Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:29 am

Erie Warrior wrote:http://www.kentstatesports.com/sports/bsb/2010-11/releases/20110530fngcqb

Way to go Flashes- suck it Spin!

As long as it's a hot female tit. LOL

The rivalry only goes so far with me, and I'm really pulling for the Flushes. Especially with baseball being just about my favorite sport. And a class act like Orrville's Mike Birkbeck involved. A cold-weather team in the show.

I'm enjoying this. :cheers:
Spin

Favorite Player: Jack N. Coke
Least Favorite Player: 72 hour work weeks

Unread postby Bayou Tribe » Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:45 am

dmiles wrote:Bayou how did BBCOR affect LSU's power numbers?

I'm not one to put much emphasis on the new bats. Everyone had the same equipment, and LSU hit like shit all year. Power numbers were way down, but so was on obp. They just took a year off (minus Mahtook, but that kid is just an incredible competitor). Mainieri is going to have to re-evaluate his philosophy.

The one good note was that we had 2 stud frosh pitchers and another who came around towards the end to look solid (the last two weekends we threw 3 true freshman in the weekend rotation). Also looks like we lost very little in the draft.

-- TIMMAH to CDT
Bayou Tribe

Unread postby dmiles » Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:51 am

I only say that because I've been watching our kids hit with either wood or BBCOR in the summer league as mandated by the HS coach, and for most of the kids without good swings, it's laughable. What I mean is in the past it was hard to distinguish a 6'2" 200lb. power hitter from a 5'8" 2B with good fast twitch but a bad swing. Didn't matter with the hot bats because he was quick enough to catch enough barrel to be very effective. Now I see what looks like a line drive heading to gap being caught by a middle infielder. Granted by next spring it should be a little better, but it's a major impact.

Programs that may have gotten away with recruiting athletes with bad mechanics might have to rethink. Not saying LSU was like that, I have no idea really but things will change across the board soon.
On Twitter @DaBashers
dmiles

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:41 pm

dmiles wrote:Now I see what looks like a line drive heading to gap being caught by a middle infielder. Granted by next spring it should be a little better, but it's a major impact.

This will happen to every HS team in the country. Most kids just aren't very good, and the BBCOR will reveal true colors.

Small ball is the name of the game for a while. All these parents who have sent their kids to hitting coaches are going to see what they actually paid for. It's better in the long run, but there will be quite a few growing pains.

Most kids at D1 schools have solid mechanics, so power numbers may be down this year, but I wouldn't imagine there was much drop in overall BA.
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Unread postby dmiles » Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:12 pm

A lot of the guys teaching kids how to hit, have taken the typical cliche's you hear around hitting and built a little cottage industry around it. So you have some guys that teach a plunger, swing down on it swing even to the point of seeing kids finish around the waist. Terrible looking and you can always tell that a kid was over-taught and was a good student, but the teacher was kind of ick.

Basically as I sit here and watch Youkilis, I can't imagine a hitting instructor let a kid use his natural ability like that. Instead they would lock them up, no tipping, no hitch, no movement and get the front foot down before the ball is released. Some of these kids live at batting lessons with parents dropping big $$$ and I just can't see that type of over-taught robot swing being too successful.
On Twitter @DaBashers
dmiles

Unread postby Bayou Tribe » Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:56 am

Down to 8, final tourney cranks up in Omaha this weekend. The first time the camera pans into coverage and we aren't seeing Rosenblatt it's going to be wierd (and sad).

Good article on the '96 final game on ESPN.com (link below). 15 years already -- I still remember playing legion ball that summer and everyone on the team came to practice that next day with yellow t-shirts. We already all had those purple game caps, but man we just wanted to be like Morris, Coogan, Furniss, Koerner, and Laxton. We didn't have pro ball around, so these guys were the upper echelon of the game in our minds. We didn't know that his homer was a classic aluminum bat special that would have been a Texas League bloop shot with a wooden bat. This was the World Series for us, and I still remember where I was and who I was watching it with. Awesome stuff.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=williams/110615_warren_morris_college_world_series&sportCat=ncaa

-- TIMMAH to CDT
Bayou Tribe

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:39 am

My youngest plays soccer for Mark. This is just an example of what some of these schools are up against and the lin provided reiterates the point and the story:

The article hits home....

As many of you know, I was the Head Men's soccer Coach at the University of California - Berkeley for seven years 1993-99. The soccer program at Cal was being eliminated after the 1999 season when I resigned following a 12-5-3 season and another top 35 national ranking and #7 national ranking for best defense.

The news of elimination was espeically disappointing because I had already fundraised about $1 million dollars that went into and endowed scholarship fund (that is still fueling the program today) and we had just completed a $3.5 million stadium renovation that I initiated and even gave the first donation to kick off the project when the athletic department showed no interest in supporting it.

The current baseball coach was hired in '99 about a month before the announcement came that baseball, soccer, and men's gymnastics (national champions) would be cut......to ease the budget crisis and comply with gender equity Title IX mandates of the NCAA.

The programs ultimately survived after private fundraising .....

This time the baseball alumni raised $9 million to save the program.

The UC Berkeley Men's baseball team is now in the college world series!

This has been a storybook season for CAL.....the program was being eliminated AGAIN after the season due to the continuing budget crisis in the athetic department that dates back to my era coaching there.

http://www.ncaa.com/news/baseball/2011-06-15/cal’s-roller-coaster-season-continues
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:50 am

Not sure if you cats have been watching, but great games. Last night was excellent. I feel bad for Hultzen, but what a game.

Florida looks real tough, they are mashing the ball right now.
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Unread postby pup » Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:21 am

Erie Warrior wrote:Not sure if you cats have been watching, but great games. Last night was excellent. I feel bad for Hultzen, but what a game.

Florida looks real tough, they are mashing the ball right now.

I promise it is not hindsight, but I thought both coaches in the UF/Vandy tilt screwed the pooch.

I know the LH was extended, but Vandy had not a prayer against him.

And to send even the biggest, toughest gamer there is in the country is terrible coaching after 120+ stressful pitches. With one of the top bullies in the country.

Hultzen. Christ. Filthy. But how sick can you really be? I would have dumped right there on the mound if I had 8 through 3, then gone for another 8.

Not exactly a clinic on situational hitting in that nightcap. Mad props to a couple of short inning guys though. Greatest aspect of college baseball is dudes always willing to lay it on the line (which is why coaches have to be smart, ie Sonny from above).

UF is going to be tough to get, but this SC team has some serious stones. Should be at least a couple of good ones.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:15 pm

pup wrote:And to send even the biggest, toughest gamer there is in the country is terrible coaching after 120+ stressful pitches. With one of the top bullies in the country.

Always a tough call. Do you listen to the player, or conventional wisdom? And we don't know what there conditioning program is like. If there off-day work is 60 or 70 pitches, maybe they can handle it. Some people do have rubber arms.

And why can't a trainer get some Immodium for Hultzen before the game? That shit works in a few hours. At the very least some Depends to prevent total public humiliation. I'm sure he's pretty upset today.
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Unread postby peeker643 » Sat Jun 25, 2011 2:16 pm

Tell you what I do love is the legit bats. No fisted balls short hopping the wall. Brought pitching, defense and athleticism back to the game and I couldn't be more thrilled that I'm not watching softball any more.

Seriously, does this cement Florida as the very best collegiate athletic program in the country?

I'm hoping they lose this championship but even if they do......

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby danwismar » Sat Jun 25, 2011 7:44 pm

peeker643 wrote:Seriously, does this cement Florida as the very best collegiate athletic program in the country?

Well, Stanford has won 17 straight Director's Cup trophies. Does that count as a trend?
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

Dan's OSU Links - http://bit.ly/1o9DwFo
danwismar

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:55 pm

For sure dan, people generally give a fuck about who won last years field hockey title.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby pup » Sun Jun 26, 2011 12:50 am

Erie Warrior wrote:
pup wrote:And to send even the biggest, toughest gamer there is in the country is terrible coaching after 120+ stressful pitches. With one of the top bullies in the country.

Always a tough call. Do you listen to the player, or conventional wisdom? And we don't know what there conditioning program is like. If there off-day work is 60 or 70 pitches, maybe they can handle it. Some people do have rubber arms.

And why can't a trainer get some Immodium for Hultzen before the game? That shit works in a few hours. At the very least some Depends to prevent total public humiliation. I'm sure he's pretty upset today.

Come on dude. No conditioning drill in the world has you prepared to trot out there for the 8th after his 1-7. I am sure he can handle throwing 150 pitches. But most of the night from the stretch and battling for his team's life for a majority of those pitches. you walk over and say "Sonny, I know you are ready to fight some more, but thank you for those 7 innings. And if we cannot get it done, thanks for your time at Vandy. We have a great bullpen. Let's see if that can't pick you up and get ya another start on Wednesday."

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Unread postby danwismar » Sun Jun 26, 2011 12:13 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:For sure dan, people generally give a fuck about who won last years field hockey title.

Well, he did say "the best collegiate athletic program in the country", and not "the best program for men's major sports"

But my point is that even if he HAD said "men's major sports", how strong, really, would the case be for U. of Florida?

They won NC's in FB and BB five years ago, and again in BB in 2007, but where have they been since in football and basketball? Surely not dominant in any way...not even consistently good. Nowhere near elite in BB in recent years...and football was in the dumper in 2010.

I just couldn't figure out what they had done to be "the best" overall. If you take just men's sports, they can't touch (for example) OSU at the moment. In the last year, OSU spent time ranked #1 in football, and finished 5th, and spent most of the season ranked #1 in basketball. They won the NC in volleyball, 3rd in tennis, 5th in golf, etc. etc. They have been consistently top 10 in wrestling recently, and have had the conference's best baseball team for the most part.

There is just one objective measure of the overall performance of a "collegiate athletic program", and it is the Director's Cup...and overall excellence seemed to be the topic of Peeker's post.

Your point (I guess) that Stanford racks up Director's Cup wins by dominating lesser (and women's) sports is valid, as far as it goes. If you'd care to make Peeker's case that Florida is now somehow "cemented" as the best athletic program in the country, have at it.

Or are you just all snark, all the time?
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

Dan's OSU Links - http://bit.ly/1o9DwFo
danwismar

Unread postby dmiles » Sun Jun 26, 2011 5:24 pm

peeker643 wrote:Tell you what I do love is the legit bats. No fisted balls short hopping the wall. Brought pitching, defense and athleticism back to the game and I couldn't be more thrilled that I'm not watching softball any more.

Seriously, does this cement Florida as the very best collegiate athletic program in the country?

Going forward there could be a better projector now of what guys might work in the minors. With the hot-bats you weren't sure and clearly the scouts can't all look at swings and project. Most go off of results.

The kid's HS went to wood for the summer although if you have a BBCOR bat you can use it. I am going a bit contrarian to conventional wisdom about the new bats bringing athleticism into the game with the understanding that I get what you are saying about softball.

I think the new rules hurts the good athlete with a great fast-twitch who was very successful in HS ball and got to play some college ball because of it. What I mean is a good athlete with good fast-twitch who was smallish... That guy was indistinguishable from a really good hitter, other than the visual check. Guys with excellent hand-to-eye coordination with crappy swing were bailed out with composites. Little 5'8" 2B hitting as many homers as big white stiff sometimes. There are going to be good athletes who never learned how to swing who now fail. Just this summer our best hitter on HS, I don't think I've seen him get a good hit with wood all summer against above avg. pitching. Certainly he hasn't driven any line drives or gappers. If you've gotten away with not getting barrel on the ball, your are in trouble going forward.

Peek, I would also agree and you are probably referring to now having better athletes on defense. Now teams might not carry the fat RF with 25 homers who has to get on the field but was a weak arm/slow feet or whatever. The new bat definitely cuts both ways, if that kid's homers are now flyouts, see-ya.
On Twitter @DaBashers
dmiles

Unread postby peeker643 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:55 am

I should have been more specific on the 'athleticism' being brought back and relating it to softball but we're on the same page.

When the bats and balls got so lively the infielders (and outfielders to a degree) could make a play on a ball hit at them but range was limited because balls not hit at someone were typically by them.

Pitchers were getting killed and little guys were hitting softballs 350feet. It hurt the game badly. Big part of what drove me away.

Just seems like the game is closer to what was intended now with really good hitters and power guys doing what they do. Defensive athleticism has become part of the game again in my eyes and that was always my favorite component of the game itself.

dmiles wrote:
peeker643 wrote:Tell you what I do love is the legit bats. No fisted balls short hopping the wall. Brought pitching, defense and athleticism back to the game and I couldn't be more thrilled that I'm not watching softball any more.

Going forward there could be a better projector now of what guys might work in the minors. With the hot-bats you weren't sure and clearly the scouts can't all look at swings and project. Most go off of results.

The kid's HS went to wood for the summer although if you have a BBCOR bat you can use it. I am going a bit contrarian to conventional wisdom about the new bats bringing athleticism into the game with the understanding that I get what you are saying about softball.

I think the new rules hurts the good athlete with a great fast-twitch who was very successful in HS ball and got to play some college ball because of it. What I mean is a good athlete with good fast-twitch who was smallish... That guy was indistinguishable from a really good hitter, other than the visual check. Guys with excellent hand-to-eye coordination with crappy swing were bailed out with composites. Little 5'8" 2B hitting as many homers as big white stiff sometimes. There are going to be good athletes who never learned how to swing who now fail. Just this summer our best hitter on HS, I don't think I've seen him get a good hit with wood all summer against above avg. pitching. Certainly he hasn't driven any line drives or gappers. If you've gotten away with not getting barrel on the ball, your are in trouble going forward.

Peek, I would also agree and you are probably referring to now having better athletes on defense. Now teams might not carry the fat RF with 25 homers who has to get on the field but was a weak arm/slow feet or whatever. The new bat definitely cuts both ways, if that kid's homers are now flyouts, see-ya.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby dmiles » Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:53 pm

Wow how about some clutch play from the SC Defense? The diving 2B play to get that first out in the bottom of the 9th was just nails. DP to end inning and runner might have been safe who knows. However that throw from LF to nail the guy at home...sheesh. Loved the rear view of that play. Then Florida goes all Little League on one play to give up the key run.
On Twitter @DaBashers
dmiles

Unread postby peeker643 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:02 am

dmiles wrote:Wow how about some clutch play from the SC Defense? The diving 2B play to get that first out in the bottom of the 9th was just nails. DP to end inning and runner might have been safe who knows. However that throw from LF to nail the guy at home...sheesh. Loved the rear view of that play. Then Florida goes all Little League on one play to give up the key run.

I said earlier I'd trade Indians infield defense for SC infield defense and never think twice. Back to back plays by Wingo to get it done, the first of which was incredible.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby pup » Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:46 am

The pick by the catcher on the throw from Wingo was something pretty special as well. Not to mention the good fortune of missing the catchers mask by about 3 inches with that short hop. Yo, dude, throw the damn ask to the side. Please.

Typical SC. Just finding ways.

Pitch it.
Catch it.
Find a way to scratch some across.

When is the last time (not that it is over, but if SC does win it) a team won the CWS without hitting a home run in Omaha?

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Unread postby skatingtripods » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:13 am

Fiance's from SC so I've watched both of their CWS runs. Can't help but like their team. The play by Wingo and the pick at the plate were unreal. And then the game ends on two errors by Florida. That's what it's all about with the new bats, pitching and defense.

Indians pick Michael Roth on the bump for SC tonight too. Kid's pitched his share of big games. Too bad his arm probably translates to middle relief in the bigs.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:00 pm

Whitson has some nasty movement. Over-throwing a bit right now, but this kid is for real.
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Unread postby peeker643 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:12 pm

Pretty cool if SC holds on to not only win back-to-back titles but to do so by closing Rosenblatt and opening TD Ameritrade.

That'd have some lasting historical significance.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:47 pm

skatingtripods wrote:Indians pick Michael Roth on the bump for SC tonight too. Kid's pitched his share of big games. Too bad his arm probably translates to middle relief in the bigs.

He's got about 30 arm angles, and really doesn't throw many strikes. Deceptive delivery, but I don't see him as more than a LOOGY.

A celling of El Duque, a floor of an A ball RHP.
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Unread postby pup » Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:27 pm

Stupid homer ruins my trivia question.

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Unread postby Larvell Blanks » Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:42 am

pup wrote:Stupid homer ruins my trivia question.

Pretty sad that your post is the first thing I thought of once the ball cleared the fence.

I'm spending far too much time here ::doh::
Galley Boys are slop on top of a so-so burger and a bun you coulde get from a Covneninet food mart generic pack. They the Antoine Joubert of burgers; soft, sloppy, oozing grease and cheap sauce and extremely overrated by a biased fan base. Proof that if you throw enough cheap sauce shit on a burger you still can't overcome the lame burger. -JB
Larvell Blanks

Favorite Player: Foots Walker
Least Favorite Player: un named sources

Unread postby pup » Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:54 am

Larvell Blanks wrote:
pup wrote:Stupid homer ruins my trivia question.

Pretty sad that your post is the first thing I thought of once the ball cleared the fence.

I'm spending far too much time here ::doh::

Ridiculous. Completely and totally ridiculous. Life is TCF...The rest is just details.

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Unread postby dmiles » Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:15 pm

I had just blurted that stat out to my spouse who thinks I am smart or something. An Inning later the SC kid jacks one.
On Twitter @DaBashers
dmiles

Return to College Sports Arena