Text Size

College Sports Arena

Finally completed

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

Finally completed

Unread postby furls » Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:13 pm

Not really college sports related, but most of the people that I BS with on this board in any kind of regular fashion spend most of their time in here. Just got this:

Your application has been successfully submitted. Thank you for using our online application process.

Cut and pasted from Sloan School of Business (MIT) application page. My MBA application is finally complete and I cannot put into words how bad that sucked. Now all I have to do is wait and see if I am one of the lucky 1 out of 6 applicants that gets to spend 132K for a world class education!

Fortunately, they owe me a decision by 2 Sep, and if they do not call to interview me before 15 July then I know the answer is no.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Re: Finally completed

Unread postby gotribe31 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:13 pm

Good luck. If you get it, I have about $600 extra lying around that I'd love to let you turn into $60,000
You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves
-----Abe Lincoln

Let me tell you, if any of you douchebag empty headed stuffed suit nanny politicians tries to fuck with my bacon, I’m going after you like a crazed chimpanzee on bath salts.
-----Lars
gotribe31

Favorite Player: Francisco Lindor
Least Favorite Player: Michigan

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:26 pm

If you want me to drive up there and threaten them, I will.

I can be pretty convincing.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby motherscratcher » Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:58 pm

Make sure they know about your security clearance. I would never turn down a dude with security clearance.
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:22 pm

motherscratcher wrote:I would never turn down a dude with security clearance.

That explains your awkward high school foray with the guy that patrolled the parking lot, right?

And the mall cop with the keys to the Orange Julius?

And the old guard at the bank?

Good luck Furls. :thumb up:
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby motherscratcher » Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:43 pm

peeker643 wrote:

That explains your awkward high school foray with the guy that patrolled the parking lot, right?

Well what the hell was I supposed to do? They all had badges.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Unread postby motherscratcher » Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:44 pm

Oh yeah, good luck dude. I hope it's good news.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:44 pm

motherscratcher wrote:
peeker643 wrote:

Well what the hell was I supposed to do? They all had badges.

Dey deedn't neeed nooo stinging barges.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby swerb » Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:52 am

Good luck Furls!
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby Kingpin74 » Sun Jun 05, 2011 1:48 am

Good luck man, is that the only place you're applying?
"Well then I guess there's only one thing left to do...win the whole, f***in', thing."- Jake Taylor
Kingpin74

Favorite Player: Mario Lemieux
Least Favorite Player: Dwight Howard

Unread postby furls » Sun Jun 05, 2011 2:35 pm

Got an application ready for Indiana's Kelley School of Business and that is it.

I looked at NYU and I didn't care for how commercial their executive program seemed (it just felt like a money maker), they have a few hundred students per cohort at 144K, so it does make a lot of money.

I looked at UPenn (Wharton) and I just couldn't see paying 172K for a biweekly commute from my house near Mohegan Sun (in CT) to Philly, great school, nice program, but too far and too expensive.

I looked at Duke (Fuqua) and it was just to expensive (130K) and required too much international travel for a program outside of the top 10, it is clearly a good school, it is just out of that top echelon. It kind of falls into the same grouping as Ross, Kelley, Haas and McCombs right outside of the top tier.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby Kingpin74 » Sun Jun 05, 2011 6:21 pm

Got an application ready for Indiana's Kelley School of Business and that is it.

I looked at NYU and I didn't care for how commercial their executive program seemed (it just felt like a money maker), they have a few hundred students per cohort at 144K, so it does make a lot of money.

I looked at UPenn (Wharton) and I just couldn't see paying 172K for a biweekly commute from my house near Mohegan Sun (in CT) to Philly, great school, nice program, but too far and too expensive.

I looked at Duke (Fuqua) and it was just to expensive (130K) and required too much international travel for a program outside of the top 10, it is clearly a good school, it is just out of that top echelon. It kind of falls into the same grouping as Ross, Kelley, Haas and McCombs right outside of the top tier.

Nice, I have my BBA from Ross and a lot of our classes were undergrad versions of the MBA class plus I took a couple of MBA classes in law school. I'd recommend it to you but I'm guessing you wouldn't enjoy the athletic scene very much. You'll love either MIT or Indiana though. Great education, great networking, and an interesting mix of subjects at the MBA level. Even the stuff I knew I wouldn't go into specifically has helped me at some point so far.
"Well then I guess there's only one thing left to do...win the whole, f***in', thing."- Jake Taylor
Kingpin74

Unread postby furls » Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:28 am

No offense, but I wouldn't go to Ross on a bet. Great school, but I can't get over the whole scUM thing.

I told my kids that if they had a full ride to scUM or I had to pay their way at OSU that I would gladly reach for my checkbook.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:44 am

The only place worth your time is Sloan.

80+% of most any top ten MBA program's value is in Networking. I have to kidnapp my HBS friends to get them away from that cult.

Sloan is the dorkiest and will teach you the most. At this stage in your career that is the benefit to you. You aren't going to be going on ski trips to the Alps or be putting together Red Carpet parties during the Oscars. And if you are commuting it's not like you are going to be spending all day at company presentations nor that it would benefit you.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby Kingpin74 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:15 pm

No offense, but I wouldn't go to Ross on a bet. Great school, but I can't get over the whole scUM thing.

I told my kids that if they had a full ride to scUM or I had to pay their way at OSU that I would gladly reach for my checkbook.

Haha none taken, basically said the exact same thing about OSU Law School.
Kingpin74

Unread postby furls » Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:59 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:The only place worth your time is Sloan.

80+% of most any top ten MBA program's value is in Networking. I have to kidnapp my HBS friends to get them away from that cult.

Sloan is the dorkiest and will teach you the most. At this stage in your career that is the benefit to you. You aren't going to be going on ski trips to the Alps or be putting together Red Carpet parties during the Oscars. And if you are commuting it's not like you are going to be spending all day at company presentations nor that it would benefit you.

Nailed it. I learned many years ago that dorks rule the world, and if you are a dork with people skills you can actually rule the dorks which makes you ruler of the rulers of the world.

For me it is all about the education, particularly for an EMBA program. Most schools, even at the top, are afraid to hit director-level types with calculus, differential equations, linear algebra and regression analysis. That is one of the things that turned me off to NYU. Their recruiter basically told me that I wouldn't have to worry about the "calculus and heavy quantitative stuff" in the executive program. That told me all I wanted to know.

MIT's info session started with the following: 8 misconceptions about an Executive MBA from MIT. #1. The E stands for "Easy." Then a five minute rant from the director about how the program has to stay true to MIT's reputation for analytic rigor. Reminded me of enlisting in the USMC, the recruiter had a poster with a DI yelling in a recruits face with a caption that read, "We don't promise you a rose garden."

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=we+ ... ORM=IDFRIR

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:58 pm

Now don’t get me wrong (I am thinking about one of the two New York schools down the line or Kellogg, as I just want to spend some long period time in one of those cities) the other schools provide value and a lot of it. It is just a different value and you have led a very different career than your average MBA applicant.

Harvard’s case study process is intensive and highly educational. My HBS friends work and are challenged, it just isn’t quant work. The idea is that you pay people to do the quant. Either way, I get why Sloan is your choice and it makes 100% sense to me. It’s certainly the most unique of all the top MBA programs by far. Far. Far.

Unless things at my new job go so well I just say eff it altogether, who knows.

Also, Sloan's Sports Analytics group is the baddest ass thing in existence
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby furls » Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:08 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:Now don’t get me wrong (I am thinking about one of the two New York schools down the line or Kellogg, as I just want to spend some long period time in one of those cities) the other schools provide value and a lot of it. It is just a different value and you have led a very different career than your average MBA applicant.

Harvard’s case study process is intensive and highly educational. My HBS friends work and are challenged, it just isn’t quant work. The idea is that you pay people to do the quant. Either way, I get why Sloan is your choice and it makes 100% sense to me. It’s certainly the most unique of all the top MBA programs by far. Far. Far.

Unless things at my new job go so well I just say eff it altogether, who knows.

Also, Sloan's Sports Analytics group is the baddest ass thing in existence

I would seriously consider Booth as well if you are willing to go to Chicago. I never did my due diligence on Columbia. I saw the MIT program, learned about it and decided that I was going all in on MIT and if that was not in the cards then I would just go the more convenient route with the Kelley Distance program. There is no next year for me based on career constraints.

I need to learn the principles behind the numbers because of my lack of experience in the corporate world and MIT is perfect for me. The more I think about it, the luckier I feel that it is "in my backyard" at a mere 100ish miles away.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:19 pm

Yeah I meant to mention Booth.

Anyhow, good luck. You get in we'll have to have a beer to celebrate when you come up, as MIT is literally accross the Charles from me.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby furls » Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:58 am

The plot thickens:

Just got accepted at Kelley School of Business, Indiana University with $$. I can now get an MBA from Kelley for free!

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby furls » Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:03 pm

OK, I am not sure if they coordinated it, but I just received this from MIT:

Dear Michael:

Thank you for submitting your application for the MIT Executive MBA Class of 2013. Having read your materials with great interest, we would like to invite you to come to campus and interview with members of our admissions team.

To arrange your interview, please click on one of the links below to view the times we have available for interviews. Please keep in mind that the interview process will take approximately two hours. You will be interviewed by an EMBA program staff as well as en EMBA admissions officer. We will ask you questions based on your application and interests similar to a job interview, so there is no need for any special preparation.

We look forward to hearing from you and meeting with you soon. Congratulations on this important and positive step in your progress toward program admission.

Best regards,

Jonathan Lehrich
Program Director and Lecturer
MIT Executive MBA

So it looks like I made the first (and largest round of cuts at MIT).

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby furls » Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:11 pm

I completed my interview with MIT, it went pretty well (I think). I am still awaiting a decision from MIT, but I have decided to accept the free MBA from Indiana. The only way I will reconsider is if MIT comes through with an admission and 100k in scholarship money.

Put my deposit down at Kelley on the 1st.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby Kingpin74 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:23 pm

I completed my interview with MIT, it went pretty well (I think). I am still awaiting a decision from MIT, but I have decided to accept the free MBA from Indiana. The only way I will reconsider is if MIT comes through with an admission and 100k in scholarship money.

Put my deposit down at Kelley on the 1st.

Congrats, well deserved. And I think you're making the right choice. MIT's obviously great but Indiana's right in the conversation with all the top tier schools. I doubt that whatever prestige difference there is would make up for all of that cash from IU.
Kingpin74

Unread postby Fire Marshall Bill » Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:28 am

[quote=" :group:
Last edited by Fire Marshall Bill on Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hope is a moment now long past
The Shadow of Death is the one I cast
Koo koo ka joob....I am the Walrus
Fire Marshall Bill

Favorite Player: Killer Bean
Least Favorite Player: Charcoal&Piss

Unread postby motherscratcher » Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:11 am

Jeez Bill, why you gotta be such a dick?

Not bragging or attention seeking. Just talking with a few friends. That's how it feel to me anyway.

Btw, congrats Furls. Hope it works out well.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Unread postby googleeph2 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:46 am

Good Luck Furls.

Be sure to update on how it plays out for you.
googleeph2

Favorite Player: Todd Beamer
Least Favorite Player: .

Return to College Sports Arena