Text Size

Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture

The Killing

Title is self explanatory. Discuss Hollywood, films, TV, and anything else from the entertainment world here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, mitch

Re: The Killing

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Thu May 05, 2011 9:34 pm

For sure CDT's ADHD and need for blood riddled ass couldn't watch this.

But this show is made exactly in the same style as Mad Men and BB. This has been a slow build up. I think it has been weak on the character building in that no one has surprised yet, but they all still they.

This is nowhere not Mad-Mean (for CDT), not BB, and not even this last season of Justified. But as with all AMC shows the last four Eps will make or brake the season.

CDT can't handle slow developing plots that play chess for the mid part of the season then move to check-mate at close. He wants wolves eating white zombies penii.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Thu May 05, 2011 10:10 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:For sure CDT's ADHD and need for blood riddled ass couldn't watch this.

But this show is made exactly in the same style as Mad Men and BB. This has been a slow build up. I think it has been weak on the character building in that no one has surprised yet, but they all still they.

This is nowhere not Mad-Mean (for CDT), not BB, and not even this last season of Justified. But as with all AMC shows the last four Eps will make or brake the season.

CDT can't handle slow developing plots that play chess for the mid part of the season then move to check-mate at close. He wants wolves eating white zombies penii.

lol.

That worked perfectly.

"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sun May 22, 2011 11:07 pm

I caught up on the past two weeks eps this weekend (haven't watched tonights) but holy shit did this thing fall apart fast.

I mean the first 3 hours were fantastic TV. My biggest concern was how the show was going to build community and keep people emotionally involved. Instead of taking on that task they just decided to layer race, terrorism, city politics, crying and rain.

Damn shame where this went.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Sun May 22, 2011 11:11 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:I caught up on the past two weeks eps this weekend (haven't watched tonights) but holy shit did this thing fall apart fast.

I mean the first 3 hours were fantastic TV. My biggest concern was how the show was going to build community and keep people emotionally involved. Instead of taking on that task they just decided to layer race, terrorism, city politics, crying and rain.

Damn shame where this went.

Good thing I bailed.......
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby swerb » Sun May 22, 2011 11:14 pm

Show has been average. Worth watching, but the plot line has been very predictable, and has fallen short of expectations.

Hopefully they can salvage the last month with a strong finish.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Mon May 23, 2011 8:04 am

swerb wrote: Hopefully they can salvage the last month with a strong finish.

It took an interesting turn last night. They need more evidence to break the case open and keep people guessing.
This natural coozy comes free with every Miller Time
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Favorite Player: 1995 Indians
Least Favorite Player: Global Warming

Unread postby peeker643 » Mon May 23, 2011 9:58 am

Still watching as well but e0y is right: it went 45 predictable directions and now it's all over the place.

I mean, a $5million free throw and 'Kill Muslims' spray painted on a mosque window. Kinda lame, no?
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby rebelwithoutaclue » Mon May 23, 2011 7:35 pm

Erie Warrior wrote:
swerb wrote: Hopefully they can salvage the last month with a strong finish.

It took an interesting turn last night. They need more evidence to break the case open and keep people guessing.

If by interesting you mean that the last 5 episodes were worthless and they're almost back to square one, then yeah, it's interesting. Only reason I'm still watching is to get a resolution. It's been pretty bad the last few weeks.
Fuck the Browns...
rebelwithoutaclue

Favorite Player: Kyrie Irving
Least Favorite Player: Mike Lombardi

Unread postby Larvell Blanks » Wed May 25, 2011 7:42 am

NM
Last edited by Larvell Blanks on Wed May 25, 2011 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Galley Boys are slop on top of a so-so burger and a bun you coulde get from a Covneninet food mart generic pack. They the Antoine Joubert of burgers; soft, sloppy, oozing grease and cheap sauce and extremely overrated by a biased fan base. Proof that if you throw enough cheap sauce shit on a burger you still can't overcome the lame burger. -JB
Larvell Blanks

Favorite Player: Foots Walker
Least Favorite Player: un named sources

Unread postby motherscratcher » Wed May 25, 2011 9:42 am

Larvell Blanks wrote:I

Spot on dude. You nailed it.
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby Larvell Blanks » Wed May 25, 2011 9:47 am

motherscratcher wrote:

Just sums up my feelings after episode 2...

I'm an idiot ::doh::
Galley Boys are slop on top of a so-so burger and a bun you coulde get from a Covneninet food mart generic pack. They the Antoine Joubert of burgers; soft, sloppy, oozing grease and cheap sauce and extremely overrated by a biased fan base. Proof that if you throw enough cheap sauce shit on a burger you still can't overcome the lame burger. -JB
Larvell Blanks

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Wed May 25, 2011 4:13 pm

Larvell Blanks wrote:
motherscratcher wrote:

Just sums up my feelings after episode 2...

I'm an idiot ::doh::

But you have excellent taste in cereal.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby swerb » Mon May 30, 2011 10:35 pm

Good episode last night. Still a disappointing series after a promising start, but to me, at least there is now hope for some kind of interesting finish.

Richmond is obviously involved somehow.

But who is the killa?
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby motherscratcher » Mon May 30, 2011 10:46 pm

I'm getting more and more convinced that it's going to be something retarded like the cops fiancé.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Unread postby jerryroche » Tue May 31, 2011 12:56 am

Aunt Terri seems to be the most unobvious obvious killer now. She's also the favorite on AMCTV.com's "Suspect Tracker." There's been less emphasis lately on Sterling (Rosie's best friend), but IMO she's a definite darkhorse.

Current fan picks as the killer: Terri (14%), Jamie (campaign manager) 14%, Darren (the politician) 13%, Belko (Stan's guy) 12%.

Wish they'd get rid of the chewing gum, rain, boyfriend and son. It's already been established many, many times that Linden is a former smoker, that Seattle is wet, and that domestic problems exist. (But then they probably couldn't drag this thing out for 13 weeks.)
jerryroche

Favorite Player: Ol' No.32
Least Favorite Player: Black & gold

Unread postby metalhead9x9 » Tue May 31, 2011 5:14 pm

It's making less and less sense why Linden was asked to stay and work the case. She's kinda incompetent. Leaking shit all over the place? Waiting until NOW to create a timeline? Not like Holder coulda fucked up any worse without her.
metalhead9x9

Favorite Player: Schaudenfraude
Least Favorite Player: Jeffrey Maier

Unread postby swerb » Tue May 31, 2011 7:29 pm

metalhead9x9 wrote:It's making less and less sense why Linden was asked to stay and work the case. She's kinda incompetent. Leaking shit all over the place? Waiting until NOW to create a timeline? Not like Holder coulda fucked up any worse without her.

Cause she looks good in a sweater?

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby peeker643 » Tue May 31, 2011 9:06 pm

swerb wrote:
metalhead9x9 wrote:It's making less and less sense why Linden was asked to stay and work the case. She's kinda incompetent. Leaking shit all over the place? Waiting until NOW to create a timeline? Not like Holder coulda fucked up any worse without her.

Thank God. Not much else in the old wardrobe. In fact, this entire show's wardrobe budget might not crack the cost of one D-Wade tailored suit.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby swerb » Tue May 31, 2011 9:20 pm

peeker643 wrote:
swerb wrote:

Thank God. Not much else in the old wardrobe. In fact, this entire show's wardrobe budget might not crack the cost of one D-Wade tailored suit.

Is a little bizarre how the two cops on the case have worn the same thing for ten days straight covering the case. Show has gotta have a big enough budget where $ can't be the issue. Wondering what kind of strange statement they are trying to make with that.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby peeker643 » Tue May 31, 2011 9:28 pm

swerb wrote:
peeker643 wrote:
swerb wrote:

Is a little bizarre how the two cops on the case have worn the same thing for ten days straight covering the case. Show has gotta have a big enough budget where $ can't be the issue. Wondering what kind of strange statement they are trying to make with that.

Rosie's worn one more outfit than Linden. ;-) ;) :wink:

I know this only because I'm still waiting to see Linden in something else to see what's going with that.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby motherscratcher » Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:22 pm

Just watched the most recent episode last night.

What.

The Fuck.

Was That?
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:50 pm

Due to the small overlap between the Killing and GoT plus Game 3 of the Finals I had to choose between watching GoT on Monday after it was On Demand and cancelling the recording, missing four minutes of basketball during the overlap, checking if GoT was over and the overlap was just credits then ending it manually and just cancelling the entire recording of The Killing.

I cancelled The Killing and didn't bother to schedule a recording for any later airing.

Show can bite me, I'm out.

Maybe I'll catch up On Demand after it ends.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby motherscratcher » Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:37 pm

You chose...

wisely
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:46 pm

All commentary I have caught here and there has taken pretty much the same line:

"that would have been a great episode: IF IT WAS FOR ANOTHER SHOW ALTOGETHER!!!!"
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby Larvell Blanks » Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:35 am

It rained again

The relationship between Holder and Linden should have been done a couple episodes ago

Vegetarians can order burgers with no meat but attack a bag of pork rinds like Shaggy and Scooby.

I'm glad that only 2 episodes remain, I'm too invested to walk away now
Larvell Blanks

Unread postby swerb » Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:29 pm

The last episode was the most inexcusable pile of shit I have ever seen in my life of any hour drama I've watched.

To completely throw away an episode, on nothing, with just two left after it ... is amazing to me.

This show has gone down the shitter. Will watch the last two just out of spite.

Shame.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:30 am

I really don't understand how a show has a first three hours as awesome as this had and then blows it this bad. You almost have to try to do that shit.

Also am shocked AMC let it go that route. The premier for this thing grabbed insane ratings. Tons more than Mad Men or Breaking Bad and the writers just shit it away.

First true huge wiff for AMC, but it was a big one with all the people that were watching.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:16 am

Good episode last night. Good to see some focus brought back to the original plot.
This natural coozy comes free with every Miller Time
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Favorite Player: 1995 Indians
Least Favorite Player: Global Warming

Unread postby rebelwithoutaclue » Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:42 am

After this week's episode what are everyone's guesses? Like most of you, I only stuck through the terrible Ahmed mini-season to get some resolution at the end. Taking out all that crap, this would have been a great 6-show mini-series though the worthless "lost Jack" episode should have come much earlier to give some actual characterization to Linden/Holder and also actually intermixed in stuff about the case instead of just waiting the whole episode for a warrant to come in.

I don't think this is really spoiler-y so here goes:

I'd been saying it's Richmond for the last 2 weeks or so but now I'm convinced it's Gwen with a dark horse of the father of Rosie's ex. We can discuss reasons but those would definitely come with spoilers from last nights episode for people who might not have seen it yet.
Fuck the Browns...
rebelwithoutaclue

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:10 pm

So I didn't watch the finale. Or last weeks. Or the weeks before that.

That said I did just read how the season ended.

:lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao:
:lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao:
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby swerb » Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:32 am

F this show.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby jerryroche » Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:28 am

Cop-out.

Many viewers -- like me, Swerb and other posters here -- just wanted to give this show a chance. We've been had. The producers blew it big time.

AMC agreeing to a second season was a mistake. Nobody'll watch next season.
jerryroche

Favorite Player: Ol' No.32
Least Favorite Player: Black & gold

Unread postby swerb » Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:32 am

And F e0y2e3 for sucking me in and then bailing on it.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby Larvell Blanks » Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:12 am

You've got to be f'ing kidding me!

When I read on AV Club that the show was renewed for a season 2 I thought it'd be a longshot that they'd pull this stunt.

How wrong I was.

I no longer give 2 shits who killed Rosie Larson. I'm just pissed the hid it so weel they weren't discovered in episode 4.
Larvell Blanks

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:55 am

Honestly, you can't be that pissed because you just watch a show piss away more potential than maybe any show ever in the history of shows.

That was amazing.

A true trainwreck.

And it also got AMC a major wart, something they haven't had to deal w/ before.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby swerb » Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:59 am

I think they're trying for the Twin Peaks Laura Palmer intrigue. It's just not that interesting though.

I'm with you LB. I just don't give a shit who killed her anymore.

Especially after the trailers promised "a final five minutes so shocking you'll be talking about it all summer".

The only reason I'm talking about it the next morning is to make fun of it, and I still feel dirty wasting the time and calories.

F Rosie Larsen. F e0y2e3. F AMC. F the producers for the third to last episode.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby rebelwithoutaclue » Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:02 am

Just completely terrible. One of the worst finales ever right out of the M. Night Shyamalan school of adding a stupid twist for nothing but the sake of the twist.
Fuck the Browns...
rebelwithoutaclue

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:04 am

I am still laughing out loud everytime I think of the cliff these writers jumped off of.

Faaaaaaaaaaantastic.

The AV Club grade for the Finale was a D+. That is incredible. For a reviewable show to get a D+ is something the writers have to actually strive for.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby peeker643 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:30 pm

I don't recall the last one I watched. The $5million free throw maybe?

Whatever.

I was hooked. They had too much slack in the line.

Never went back and don't even care enough to ask what happened.

Deleted the dvr'd episodes to make sure I didn't waste another few hours.

Too bad. The first three episodes were as good as it gets from an uncomfortable voyeur standpoint.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby hiko » Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:06 am

All right, so I was successful at my attempt to not read any message in this thread prior to this because I wanted to watch this show. So to lend my halfway through the 3rd episode late analysis:

Show tries too hard. The melodrama bullshit needs go.
hiko

Favorite Player: Gray
Least Favorite Player: Black and White

Unread postby hiko » Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:32 am

And to lend my end of the 3rd episode critique: Show is cheese, waste of an interesting character in whatever Mireille Enos' character's name is, I thank it for saving me the time I might otherwise waste watching it.

Oh, and I don't give a fuck who killed Rosie Palmer or what.
hiko

Unread postby hiko » Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:43 am

And in review, looks like everyone came to the same conclusion as I did. Restores my faith in mankind.
hiko

Unread postby Larvell Blanks » Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:15 am

Simmons with a write up o Season 1. Pretty much in line w/ this thread from episode 4 on.

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/6680958/hackery-first-degree

You can't even calculate the amount of time we wasted watching/talking/dissecting a show that, fundamentally, sucked to watch. Every episode covered a day in Rosie's murder investigation (thirteen in all). By about Episode 7, everyone watching it was in "this show royally sucks, I screwed up, I shouldn't have gotten sucked in — but at least we're going to find out who killed Rosie" mode. It was like being stuck in an amusement-park line for what you thought would be 45 minutes, only it turned out to be 90. Halfway through, you can't bail. You just can't. You just have to hope the ride is worth it.

This ride was not worth it. To say the least.

Larvell Blanks

Unread postby Damage » Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:52 am

Here's the thing: It's not the acting, it's the writing. The actors, imo, are really good. There are some scenes, as Simmons mentioned, that make you go, "THAT'S why I'm watching this show".

At first, I didn't hate the twist as much as everyone else did. In fact, I kind of liked it. Watched it again last night and I hated it. Not so much that they delayed on telling us who killed Rosie, but the logistics behind the episode is what set me off. The timeline just doesn't make sense, all the questions that were never answered, just sloppy writing. And this was going to be their finale all along, with or without a renewal? Bullshit.

Keep the main characters around, ditch the egomaniacal writers.
"I must be cruel only to be kind;
Thus bad begins, and worse remains behind."
Damage

Favorite Player: Terrell Brandon
Least Favorite Player: Joe Table

Unread postby swerb » Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:07 am

Me personally, I am for them pumping air into the veins of all the writers and producers until their hearts explode.

And filming it as a reality show. They could even keep the name the same.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby hiko » Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:08 pm

Larvell Blanks wrote:Simmons with a write up o Season 1. Pretty much in line w/ this thread from episode 4 on.

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/6680958/hackery-first-degree

You can't even calculate the amount of time we wasted watching/talking/dissecting a show that, fundamentally, sucked to watch. Every episode covered a day in Rosie's murder investigation (thirteen in all). By about Episode 7, everyone watching it was in "this show royally sucks, I screwed up, I shouldn't have gotten sucked in — but at least we're going to find out who killed Rosie" mode. It was like being stuck in an amusement-park line for what you thought would be 45 minutes, only it turned out to be 90. Halfway through, you can't bail. You just can't. You just have to hope the ride is worth it.

This ride was not worth it. To say the least.

If it was bad enough for me to drop after the 3rd episode, I can only imagine how bad it got later on. I can understand everyone's anger at having wasted the time - the writing and directing is HORRIBLE. The first episode had lots of potential, but it shortly thereafter turned into a bad after-school special.
hiko

Unread postby rebelwithoutaclue » Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:46 pm

It's all downhill after episode 3; after that it's a 6 episode mini-series on Muslims, white people hating Muslims, and female circumcision. Episode 10 is great as it gets back to the case which is promptly followed by a completely unnecessary detour episode that would have been perfect right after episode 3, as it actually, you know, built some characterization for the two leads. As the 10th episode it was a waste because I was too far gone in my lack of caring. The penultimate episode was great since actual police work was being shown, albeit police work that should have been done about 2 (real-life) hours after Rosie was reported missing, but I digress.

Here's a quote from the star, Mirielle Enos

"To solve [the murder] in one episode, it would have felt rushed," she said. "If there's anything that's been true about this season, [it's that] we've taken our time. That continued to be true through the finale. I think the payoff next season is going to be really worth it."

That's why the season was 13 episodes long and why the viewing audience was so angry that half the entire series (to that point not knowing it was to be renewed) was wasted on an almost useless red herring. Too bad nobody will be around to see the payoff next season.
Fuck the Browns...
rebelwithoutaclue

Unread postby swerb » Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:05 pm

Finally had a chance to read this:

http://espn.go.com/espn/grantland/story ... rst-degree

Hammer. Nail.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby hiko » Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:17 am

swerb wrote:Finally had a chance to read this:

http://espn.go.com/espn/grantland/story ... rst-degree

Hammer. Nail.

That's way too much fucking effort from someone who should've had the presence of mind to stop after Episode 3.
hiko

Unread postby Larvell Blanks » Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:42 am

So does anybody give a rat's ass that season 2 starts tonight?

Me? I'm just gald that the Audience network for directv is 4 episodes in on season 4 of The Wire.
Larvell Blanks

PreviousNext

Return to Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture