Text Size

College Sports Arena

Tressel Out

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

Re: Tressel Out

Unread postby daddywags » Tue May 31, 2011 4:39 pm

Read the SI article. Imagine the horror - college students trading stuff for spending money, taking part time jobs where they don't do much work, driving cars they didn't buy and don't own, and going to parties where people smoke dope. That's like, well, pretty much the experience of every single college student on a major college campus in America, isn't it?

The players broke rules and they have to answer for it. Tressel lied and broke rules and he is answering for it. That is how it should be. But for the love of God can somebody explain to me why a college football player can't get an arranged part time job or sell something they own for a tat or pizza money? Aren't those things that every 19 year-old kid in America does or tries to do?
daddywags

Unread postby googleeph2 » Tue May 31, 2011 4:45 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:Yep, shame on me for acting like he was different and that excused him for choking repeatedly on the national stage.

http://www.sbnation.com/ncaa-football/2 ... rospective

Tresselball wasn't exactly some pleasure to experience either, let's not front.

Hoo boy

Not a pleasure? To this Cleveland/OSU sports fan, compared to what?

And that's a gifted writer, but talk about choosing to pick some low-hanging fruit.
googleeph2

Favorite Player: Todd Beamer
Least Favorite Player: .

Unread postby danwismar » Tue May 31, 2011 4:53 pm

daddywags wrote:The players broke rules and they have to answer for it. Tressel lied and broke rules and he is answering for it. That is how it should be. But for the love of God can somebody explain to me why a college football player can't get an arranged part time job or sell something they own for a tat or pizza money? Aren't those things that every 19 year-old kid in America does or tries to do?

college kids can....football players and other NCAA athletes can't...potential for abuse, sayeth the NCAA. Athletes can't even work as much as they might like to in legit jobs. There are limits to what they can earn even in summer employment. Not sure what that number is today...not long ago it was $2000/year.

IMO, the Tat5 aren't even that great an example of the "potential for abuse" thing. The A.J. Green case is a better one. He sold a jersey to an agent....in other words, it could easily be perceived as (and probably was) just a way to funnel money from an agent to a player...illegally...and what makes it a more serious offense...with the expectation of a quid pro quo...future considerations...signing with that agent for pro representation, etc. Green got four games.
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

Dan's OSU Links - http://bit.ly/1o9DwFo
danwismar

Unread postby googleeph2 » Tue May 31, 2011 4:53 pm

daddywags wrote: explain to me why a college football player can't get an arranged part time job or sell something they own for a tat or pizza money? Aren't those things that every 19 year-old kid in America does or tries to do?

Well most would agree- except any transaction those kids take part in is seen as an opening to them getting way more value in return. Which is thought to possibly lead to a scenario in which they could be tempted to bargaining away their competitive integrity. I guess.
googleeph2

Unread postby peeker643 » Tue May 31, 2011 4:56 pm

http://deadspin.com/5807082/

Ray Isaac responds and pretty much calls SI writer a no-talent, pole-smoking fraud. At least that's how I read it. And I'd agree. That article reminded of a snow storm warning you hear about on the news for a week. The kind where they want you to stock up on food and canned goods as well as batteries and emergency items because this bitch is gonna blow the roof off.

Then you shovel off the inch and a half and go on about your day.

;-) ;) :wink:
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby daddywags » Tue May 31, 2011 5:04 pm

googleeph2 wrote:
daddywags wrote: explain to me why a college football player can't get an arranged part time job or sell something they own for a tat or pizza money? Aren't those things that every 19 year-old kid in America does or tries to do?

Well most would agree- except any transaction those kids take part in is seen as an opening to them getting way more value in return. Which is thought to possibly lead to a scenario in which they could be tempted to bargaining away their competitive integrity. I guess.

That's what I've thought. It's about protecting the gambling money mostly.

Somehow, the NFL (and the NBA and MLB) doesn't need such rules to make sure things are "fair" on the playing field. Well, maybe not the NBA.
daddywags

Unread postby furls » Tue May 31, 2011 5:05 pm

fundamentals wrote:If this link was posted previously, I apologize. I am having difficulty with accessing pages, here is the CNNSI big story and if you like/love the Vest this is not going to be a fun read:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/m ... tml?hpt=C1

Dude, it basically rehashes the same things that we have had rererererereported for the last 3 months, exception that it added a couple of new names as possible violators.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby motherscratcher » Tue May 31, 2011 5:31 pm

furls wrote:
fundamentals wrote:If this link was posted previously, I apologize. I am having difficulty with accessing pages, here is the CNNSI big story and if you like/love the Vest this is not going to be a fun read:

Dude, it basically rehashes the same things that we have had rererererereported for the last 3 months, exception that it added a couple of new names as possible violators.

Don't forget about the raffle.
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Tue May 31, 2011 7:04 pm

motherscratcher wrote:
furls wrote:

That was the pinnacle of lazy journalism.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby peeker643 » Tue May 31, 2011 7:22 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:
motherscratcher wrote:
furls wrote:

Yep. Yet look at the stir and the buzz.

God forbid one with a clue finds a useful nugget.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Tue May 31, 2011 8:04 pm

peeker643 wrote:
Cerebral_DownTime wrote:
motherscratcher wrote:
furls wrote:

Yep. Yet look at the stir and the buzz.

God forbid one with a clue finds a useful nugget.

Which "nuggets" did you find useful? My favorite is where the accuse a player of trading merch for a pound of dope, i'd like to know who that was, I think that's important when claiming something that serious. Plus a pound of dope could cost thousands of dollars, which suggests it wouldn't be Joe Palooka.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby peeker643 » Tue May 31, 2011 8:11 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:Which "nuggets" did you find useful? My favorite is where the accuse a player of trading merch for a pound of dope, i'd like to know who that was, I think that's important when claiming something that serious. Plus a pound of dope could cost thousands of dollars, which suggests it wouldn't be Joe Palooka.

I found next to nothing useful in that article.

My fear is something actually exists that someone not asleep or lazy will find. An actual, meaningful offense.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Tue May 31, 2011 8:19 pm

It's like the friggin Sword of Damocles, man.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby motherscratcher » Tue May 31, 2011 8:21 pm

peeker643 wrote:
Cerebral_DownTime wrote:Which "nuggets" did you find useful? My favorite is where the accuse a player of trading merch for a pound of dope, i'd like to know who that was, I think that's important when claiming something that serious. Plus a pound of dope could cost thousands of dollars, which suggests it wouldn't be Joe Palooka.

My fear is something actually exists that someone not asleep or lazy will find. An actual, meaningful offense.

Nobody with half a brain found anything useful, but I've read a hell of a lot about how it exposed the "crisis" at OSU. It's unbelievable really. People, including 90% of sports journalists, don't actually CARE what it actually said.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Unread postby peeker643 » Tue May 31, 2011 8:33 pm

motherscratcher wrote:
peeker643 wrote:

Nobody with half a brain found anything useful, but I've read a hell of a lot about how it exposed the "crisis" at OSU. It's unbelievable really. People, including 90% of sports journalists, don't actually CARE what it actually said.

My whole point. It had to stop or every failure to yield ticket was going to crank up the program-outta-control machine again and it eventually would grind the program down to a nub.

And no, they don't care what it said. Sharks will swallow a desk chair if ya throw enough blood in the water.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Bayou Tribe » Tue May 31, 2011 8:40 pm

As a third party observer, fan of college football with no ties to tOSU, that SI story left me with blue balls. I was hoping from deep in the Kiffen files. Meh.

I also don't see Gruden as a college coach anywhere, but to you guys pleasure it won't ever come to that. It's going to be the interim or Meyer.
"Dammit you piss me off. I f#ckin hate you and I hope you f#cking get killed by a rabid polar bear you douche bag."

-- TIMMAH to CDT
Bayou Tribe
"Rickey wants to play baseball"

Favorite Player: Drew Brees
Least Favorite Player: Steve Smith

Unread postby furls » Tue May 31, 2011 9:39 pm

I tend to agree with Bayou. I think that OSU will try to get Meyer to take the job next Dec. If he does... well yay, they got their guy. If he doesn't want it then I think it goes to Fickell unless he is unable to keep it together this year.

Personally, I think Fickell is a rising star in the NCAA. He reminds me of Pat Fitzgerald at NW. He is super young, 37, a players coach (and disciplinarian), and is ridiculously fiery. He has already convinced Kyle Kalis to continue to honor his 2012 commitment and I think he will keep the team together this year. The job is Meyer's if he wants it, Fickell's if he doesn't.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby peeker643 » Tue May 31, 2011 9:50 pm

furls wrote:I tend to agree with Bayou. I think that OSU will try to get Meyer to take the job next Dec. If he does... well yay, they got their guy. If he doesn't want it then I think it goes to Fickell unless he is unable to keep it together this year.

Personally, I think Fickell is a rising star in the NCAA. He reminds me of Pat Fitzgerald at NW. He is super young, 37, a players coach (and disciplinarian), and is ridiculously fiery. He has already convinced Kyle Kalis to continue to honor his 2012 commitment and I think he will keep the team together this year. The job is Meyer's if he wants it, Fickell's if he doesn't.

That's an issue that not many are talking about. Fickell is huge in recruiting from all I've read. They give him the interim gig and then whack him after a year they've lost Tressel and Fickell as a result of this shit. They lose 10-12 scholarships per year and maybe you argue it doesn't matter as much. I'd tend to argue it would actually matter more.

But it definitely does matter. A lot.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby furls » Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:03 pm

If Fickell keeps it together (11+ wins, no significant disciplinary issues) this year and the Buckeyes don't get Meyer and don't retain Fickell that would imply (IMO) that OSU is trying to sever all ties with Tressel and that would imply that guys like Hazell are out of the running as well. After them, I would have to say, who would make sense?

It would have to be a guy with serious Ohio ties or major national appeal (Gruden?) or it would be a huge blunder. Ohio State's success (or failure) hinges on the school's ability to retain Ohio's best, much like Michigan's relies on poaching some of Ohio's best. That makes guys like Patterson and Peterson a real reach. I would guess that the only real candidates right now are Fickell, Meyer, Hazell, Pelini, Dantonio and maybe a couple of other guys that I cannot think of off the top of my head.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby googleeph2 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:33 pm

furls wrote: the only real candidates right now are Fickell, Meyer, Hazell, Pelini, Dantonio and maybe a couple of other guys

Ron Zook

:hide:
googleeph2

Unread postby noles1 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:33 pm

This might have been posted already, maybe not but wanted to throw it up again regardless for some grounding again to all this...

"The sources for that kind of story would be no less reliable than the ones that Sports Illustrated relied on for its underwhelming investigative report that essentially a recycled version of the same article written by ESPN almost seven years ago. They both dug for dirt and they found it. Tressel's got dirt. Send the same resources anywhere, anywhere, and you'll find something.

SI spent months calling former Ohio State players, begging them for negative information, then begging them for referrals where they might be able to get the negative information they needed to fulfill the narrative that they were trying to best illustrate. Their story included an anonymous source citing a fixed camp raffle from 30 years ago. Apparently, this cut right to the core of Tressel as a cheater willing to do anything to win. The inclusion of this reckless endangerment indicates that nothing was deemed unreportable."

http://www.elevenwarriors.com/2011/05/t ... asnt-there
Playing here is the closest thing to heaven. Really, I mean it's amazing to be in a place where the fans truly cherish their football team and stick behind them win or lose. We players love them, too. I feel a sense of accomplishment playing here, we are a special breed of football players with a great opportunity." ~ tOSU LB Brian Rolle
noles1

Favorite Player: Jason Kipnis
Least Favorite Player: Mark May's Parents

Unread postby JCoz » Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:31 pm

Yah I posted that a few pages back, unfortunately I don't think anwhole lot of people read it, probably thinking from the first section that it was just some tressel fluff piece. It's actually a really fantastic article that puts some things into perspective, and it's hardly what anyone could reasonably call a fluff piece.

What you posted is also the most encouraging piece of circumstantial evidence to OSU not having much more dirt to be found. Not only SI but yahoo sports and wetzels team have all been digging for months and months. Nothing but some more tats for gear to be found. So far. Fingers crossed.
JCoz
Donnie, you're out of your element

Favorite Player: Competency
Least Favorite Player: Gene Smith

Unread postby pup » Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:16 pm

http://www.cleveland.com/osu/index.ssf/2011/06/ohio_state_football_program_wa.html

In a March 21, 2007 email to Tressel, which was provided to the Plain Dealer, a source gave the following warning about the alleged online activities of Talbott, a Columbus-based freelance photographer who also is involved in memorabilia sales:
"He has sold over 50 items with underclassmen signatures before their eligibility expires and would seem to be someone that both you and the university is aware of. I have a full report of his eBay activities if you would like to explore further or require documentation."

The email was sent to the account tressel.3@osu.edu. That is the same address that Columbus attorney Chris Cicero used to email Tressel in April of 2010 about OSU players selling memorabilia, an email that Tressel did not disclose to his bosses, an NCAA violation that eventually led to his May 30 resignation.

Despite the warning in 2007, Talbott received free tickets from an OSU player to eight Buckeye games during the 2008 season, according to school records. OSU redacted which player or players left tickets for Talbott.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby furls » Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:41 pm

/yawn, golf? We're talking about golf? Golf? Golf? We're talking about golf?

I think I need to contact OTL and tell them about the time I saw James Laurinaitis take 4 pennies out of the give a penny/take a penny jar at the 7-11 on Lane Ave. I think his bill came to 2.04, he reached into his wallet pulled out 2 singles, I noticed that he appeared to have two 20's in there (should probably investigate how he got those). He opted not to break one of his 20's and helped himself to his improper benefit.

Lots of allegations of diminishing value. I am betting that by the end of next week OTL and all the media outlets will be broadcasting stories about players that used someone else's Giant Eagle card at the grocery store to obtain a discount on hot dogs. It will probably be reported by a guy, blacked out with the robot voice over, from a prison visiting room where he the informant is doing 3-5 on some felony rap. The report will later be refuted and and reported during a single run of sports center at 4am on a wednesday night.

This shit is getting ridiculous. Terelle Pryor's car was cleared, the NCAA has left Columbus, James (the lawyer for the 9 players accused by SI as additional violators) has claimed that 8 of the 9 have already been cleared and he is working to clear the last one. Their source for the 20-40K in cash for Pryor autographs is a guy that clearly has an axe to grind and sports memorabilia dealers have already said that those numbers are ridiculous. Clearly Pryor and Talbot are connected, the reports of checks are being reported by insiders as bullshit. Did Talbot pay Pryor for autographs? Probably. Did he pay him 20-40K over a year? Doubtful. Will any of this ever be able to be proved? Nope. Is it going on elsewhere? Absolutely.

Sure, I am just another shill. I am blinded by my scarlet and grey goggles. I just can't see past my own biases, or maybe, just maybe I think we have kicked this fucking dead horse enough.

Maybe we can investigate this Clemson recruit now:
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_7OC0YbG2fek/R ... ollars.jpg

or this clemson recruit
http://www.lostlettermen.com/on-campus- ... with-cash/

or maybe we can look at the thinly veiled pay for plays with street agents:
http://www.sportsbybrooks.com/new-clien ... ties-29601

Why doesn't anyone seem to care about this scandal anymore, the final answers are bullshit we all know it, but it is OK?
http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/b ... aaf-282688

How about this?
http://content.usatoday.com/communities ... l-sports/1

and of course there is McCoy's wife:
http://content.usatoday.com/communities ... cowherd-/1

No one seems to care about this, although it directly affects competition in the NCAA:
http://www.sandiegoreader.com/weblogs/f ... ed-for-po/

My point is not to smear other schools, my point is that there is a lot of stuff going on out there, yet we still have the entire might of the sports journalism world looking into whether TP paid for an 80 round of golf, although hell, Scioto is private so even going as a guest is a minor infraction. The point remains... why is this still the only show in town?

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:27 am

Don't be so bitter Furls. Coach never lies and tries to cover all of this shit up and none of this happens.

Good for coach, he almost got the NC to vacate.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby danwismar » Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:57 pm

I'm told Pryor was also seen taking a drop out of a hazard...and a witness said he didn't take a stroke....breaking....

Thought this new version of Script Ohio that landed in my inbox yesterday was worth posting for comic relief, if nothing else....forgive the sacrilege:

"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

danwismar

Unread postby Fire Marshall Bill » Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:32 am

My point is not to smear other schools, my point is that there is a lot of stuff going on out there, yet we still have the entire might of the sports journalism world looking into whether TP paid for an 80 round of golf, although hell, Scioto is private so even going as a guest is a minor infraction. The point remains... why is this still the only show in town?

LOFL

Welcome to the REAL world, sonny...

I bet you loved every word when they were pimping ya?
Hope is a moment now long past
The Shadow of Death is the one I cast
Koo koo ka joob....I am the Walrus
Fire Marshall Bill

Favorite Player: Killer Bean
Least Favorite Player: Charcoal&Piss

Unread postby furls » Sun Jun 12, 2011 4:18 pm

Glad you are here to school me up on the "real world" on the interwebs. Why don't you school me up on whether there is an ignore user function here. Obviously you have are not interested in contributing anything constructive, so I would rather just not read your dribble.

FYI, they were never "pimping" me; I never played at tOSU.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby motherscratcher » Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:55 pm

FMB is funny because he thinks he's objective.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Unread postby FUDU » Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:25 pm

FMB's cool, I just think he struggles to recognize the genuine efforts that acknowledge OSU's mistakes and admittance that they deserve fair and equal punishment/treatment.

I mean really I have yet to read one take on this board that says OSU/JT are innocent and do not deserve a penalty.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby danwismar » Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:54 pm

it was inevitable....

danwismar

Unread postby Fire Marshall Bill » Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:02 pm

motherscratcher wrote:FMB is funny because he thinks he's objective.

I'm a centrist!
Hope is a moment now long past
The Shadow of Death is the one I cast
Koo koo ka joob....I am the Walrus
Fire Marshall Bill

Favorite Player: Killer Bean
Least Favorite Player: Charcoal&Piss

Previous

Return to College Sports Arena