Text Size

No Holds Barred

SCHOOL'S OUT!

Need to get something off your chest? Have a topic that doesn't fit one of the other forums? Rant away in here. Mature audiences only, not for the easily offended.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, Ziner

SCHOOL'S OUT!

Unread postby hebner20 » Mon May 30, 2011 2:37 pm

Even before Alice Cooper’s 1972 hit School’s Out, the last day of school for summer break was celebrated throughout the land with much gusto. I remember that song when it was released way back then and it was truly a great song to hear on the last day of school. I can’t think of a better time for a kid than the last day of school and the 3 months of summer time fun that lies ahead. Even Christmas can’t compete because it only lasts one day.

What is the comparable feeling for an adult? Is there one? Perhaps the last day of high school or college has the same feeling but that is really a short lived feeling as the real world waits with deadlines, responsibilities and student loans to repay. When the student loan is repaid there is not much time to celebrate because you now have a car payment and perhaps a 30 year mortgage. The truth is; the utter joy that you experience on the last day of school is probably one of the happiest days you will have in your life. The awesome thing about the last day of school is you have 13 of them beginning with kindergarten to your senior year in high school.

So what is there for us adults to revel in? I am not sure I can suggest something that matches the last day of school but I have compiled a list of some exhilarating times for an adult. Below in no particular order is a list of really great things for an adult to experience. Youngsters out there may want to stop reading now because the list may seem boring and depressing.

The list of fun things for an adult:
-Waking up Saturday morning knowing you don’t have to cut the grass, wash the car, do the laundry or go grocery shopping or any do any other mundane task normally reserved the weekend.
-Coming home to find that your spouse took care of a task for you – cut the grass, made dinner did the laundry or whatever. Talk about celebration! That is like the get out of jail free card and worthy of a jump for joy.
-Friday at 5 o’clock riding home from work on the cusp of a sun filled holiday weekend with the radio blaring like a young fool – perhaps Old Alice screaming the words to School’s Out.
-Getting to work and finding that someone brought in donuts and your favorite kind is sitting there waiting for you – looking sexy.
-Catching all the lights green and rolling into your favorite restaurant with no waiting and a perfect table ready for you.
-Finding yourself all alone at home and watching the ballgame undisturbed with a cool refreshing beverage close at hand.
-Going to the grocery store for a few items and no one is in the 20 items or less checkout lane when you are ready.
-Checking in to your room at the all inclusive resort for a well deserved vacation.
-Filing your taxes and finding out you’re getting a big, juicy refund.
-Putting on your winter coat for the first time since last winter and finding a Twenty dollar bill in the pocket – woo hoo!

I hope you can experience a "School's Out" moment soon. Have a great week, summer is here at last.
Attachments
school's out!.jpg
No more pencils, no more books...
school's out!.jpg (23.27 KiB) Viewed 748 times
hebner20

Favorite Player: shoeless joe
Least Favorite Player: Barry Bonds

Re: SCHOOL'S OUT!

Unread postby FUDU » Mon May 30, 2011 3:07 pm

For some reason all the kids in the neighborhood would start a water fight that afternoon. Started with balloons and always ended up with garden hoses. Carried over to the adults later at night some years, always a blast.

It's always funny, till someone gets hurt....then it's hilarious.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Mon May 30, 2011 8:54 pm

I hate the summer. All these little bastard kids running around.

Just fast forward to fall please.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby mattvan1 » Mon May 30, 2011 9:19 pm

hebner20 wrote: What is the comparable feeling for an adult? Is there one?

Cool post. Mine was yesterday when the son of a good friend and a guy I have coached a bunch of little league stuff with had a HS graduation party for his oldest son, off to play ball at Colorado State. Saw some of the other neighborhood kids (now men) that I have known for 10 years who have returned from college for the summer and shared a beer. That was a nice "school's out" moment for me.
I don't need to be patient, they're going to be shit forever.
- CDT, discussing my favorite NFL team
mattvan1

Unread postby JJN » Tue May 31, 2011 9:22 pm

Having sex and getting drunk. Sometimes by themselves, sometimes together.

Also, being a dick and not getting in trouble for it any more.
JJN

Favorite Player: Joe Haden
Least Favorite Player: David Stern

Unread postby mattvan1 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:16 pm

JJN wrote:Having sex and getting drunk. Sometimes by themselves, sometimes together.

Did you mean "by yourself" instead of "by themselves" :hide:
I don't need to be patient, they're going to be shit forever.
- CDT, discussing my favorite NFL team
mattvan1

Unread postby Triple-S » Thu Jun 02, 2011 5:38 pm

JJN wrote:Also, being a dick and not getting in trouble for it any more.

peeker calls this "wednesday".
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories

Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Return to No Holds Barred