Text Size

College Sports Arena

Phil Steele's Preseason All-Big Ten

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

Phil Steele's Preseason All-Big Ten

Unread postby danwismar » Sat May 28, 2011 12:32 pm

http://blog.philsteele.com/2011/05/28/2 ... sec-teams/

With the exception of Posey, the Tat 5 are absent...understandably...although no way are there eight offensive tackles in the conference better than Mike Adams. There aren't two OT better than him. Nor are there four QB's better than Pryor...though I get why missing five games is enough to keep a guy off the all-conference team.

My only other departure from Steele on this is his suggestion that there are eight defensive linemen of any type that are better than Johnny Simon...'cuz that's crazy talk.
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

Dan's OSU Links - http://bit.ly/1o9DwFo
danwismar

Re: Phil Steele's Preseason All-Big Ten

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Sat May 28, 2011 1:43 pm

danwismar wrote:http://blog.philsteele.com/2011/05/28/2011-preseason-all-big-10-and-all-sec-teams/

With the exception of Posey, the Tat 5 are absent...understandably...although no way are there eight offensive tackles in the conference better than Mike Adams. There aren't two OT better than him. Nor are there four QB's better than Pryor...though I get why missing five games is enough to keep a guy off the all-conference team.

My only other departure from Steele on this is his suggestion that there are eight defensive linemen of any type that are better than Johnny Simon...'cuz that's crazy talk.

What do you think the WR core is going to look like the first 5 games?
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby danwismar » Sat May 28, 2011 2:17 pm

Chris Fields, Philly Brown, T.Y. Williams and Verlon Reed are the top four receivers at the moment. Brown's hands are still suspect, but all of them are very talented if inexperienced.

Look for a lot of throws to tight ends Stoneburner and Fragel, and also look for a lot of throwing to backs, especially Hall and Berry, who are both very good catching the ball out of the backfield.

Incoming freshman Devin Smith from Massillon will be a big time player at OSU, but it's probably too much to expect him to start practicing in August and help this team in September. Evan Spencer, son of Tim, is also a really good-looking talent as an incoming freshman, but same deal with him. Neither guy enrolled early, so not much can be expected in September
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

danwismar

Unread postby Symbolic47 » Sat May 28, 2011 4:20 pm

Seriously no Simon? The man is going to blow up this season and will be a household name by the end of the year.

-Mike Adams is Top ten NFL talent so thats laughable
Symbolic47

Favorite Player: Santana
Least Favorite Player: Ubaldo

Unread postby danwismar » Sat May 28, 2011 4:55 pm

Symbolic47 wrote:Seriously no Simon?

He has him 3rd team defensive end. Hey, Steele can't be right about everything.

danwismar

Unread postby FUDU » Sat May 28, 2011 7:24 pm

Look for a lot of throws to tight ends

I feel Buckeye prognosticators have been saying this since Granville Waiters left the school, which feels about as long as he was at the school.

No offense to you Dan but when I hear that I assume Buckeye TE's will have 16 catches in the first two weeks than about 7 the following 6 weeks.

Not a big fan when offensives hope rest the in the hands of a TE, what say you Ryan Hamby?
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby motherscratcher » Sat May 28, 2011 7:32 pm

FUDU wrote:

I feel Buckeye prognosticators have been saying this since Granville Waiters left the school, which feels about as long as he was at the school.

No offense to you Dan but when I hear that I assume Buckeye TE's will have 16 catches in the first two weeks than about 7 the following 6 weeks.

Not a big fan when offensives hope rest the in the hands of a TE, what say you Ryan Hamby?

Clearly, such a person as this Ryan Hamby, of which you speak, does not exist.
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby danwismar » Sat May 28, 2011 10:43 pm

FUDU wrote:

No offense taken...in fact this has been a running joke every preseason throughout the Tressel years...something always promised by coaches and players, but rarely delivered.

I checked this just now because I felt like they delivered on the promise, at least somewhat, last year...and here are the numbers.

They had 43 receptions last year by tight ends and fullbacks (not RB's)...30 by TE's and 13 by FB's...

which more than doubled the numbers from 2009 of 20 total...16 by TE's...4 by FB's.

TE's had 19 catches in 2008.

It's easy to predict this year for two reasons...necessity...inexperienced WR's and inexperienced QB's...plus good talent and experience at TE in Stoney and Fragel and 2 freshmen that look good too,. Heuermann and Vannett.

Plus, they showed it to us all spring this year in every scrimmage and the spring game. I would bet the TE's will top that 30 catch total this year.

danwismar

Unread postby furls » Sun May 29, 2011 10:15 pm

John Simon will destroy the B1G by himself this year and that is a fact. He is poised to have the best season by a Buckeye defensive player since Hawk in 05. I am telling you, that guy is going to dominate games.

Johnathan Hankins will only be beaten by Simon in terms of dominating games. Those two single handedly RUINED OSU's Spring Game. Hankins is unmovable and unblockable (and he is a true soph. coming into the season). Ommitting those 2 is laughable.

Rod Smith will be a household name following the first game of the season.

Devin Smith will be OSU's next #1 WR. (I was the guy that called Posey as the next when he was a HS Senior). Here are some stats on Smith, he ran a 10.5 100m, a 24ft Long jump, a 7ft High Jump and was uncoverable in a losing effort in the big 33 game. He is a freak athlete that should have been a 5* recruit, but got the "State of Ohio" discount and is only a 3*. He will be the next big thing at OSU. It is a bold call, but I am not a pussy.

Mike Adams is a top 10 pick in next year's draft.

We will see a lot of Stoneburner in the slot next year. He will have a lot of catches.

Mike Brewster is an All American and first rounder.

If you don't think Pryor is a top tier B1G QB next year you are just a hater. The kid is immature, entitled, and successful. He pisses me off but he is a great player. He gets the most hate for selling his crap, but he is no more guilty than Adams, Posey or Herron. He really is subpar at throwing the ball, but he generally makes good decisions and moves the chains. While you may not like him, he wins. He should be all conference.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Return to College Sports Arena