Text Size

Cleveland Cavaliers & The NBA

Roker Gets The Lakers Gig

Talk Cavs hoops and other items from the NBA here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, papacass

Roker Gets The Lakers Gig

Unread postby swerb » Sun May 15, 2011 7:13 pm

"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
User avatar
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch
 
Posts: 17918
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2006 5:04 pm
Location: Twinsburg, OH
Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Re: Roker a Finalist for Warriors Gig

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sun May 15, 2011 8:01 pm

Yeah it's looked like the job is his for the last week.

That means you can expect a firesale from the W's.

Roker works as well with Ellis/Curry/Lee as Rat Tail would do at a MENSA meeting.

Damn shame to.

He's going to ruin that backcourt.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
User avatar
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?
 
Posts: 13982
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:41 pm
Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Re: Roker a Finalist for Warriors Gig

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sun May 15, 2011 8:03 pm

And FWIW: I think Roker deserves another gig, but not that one. He's not the greatest coach by any stretch, but there is a lot of shit out there. W's need to embrace their identity like the Suns, not rip its soul out.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
User avatar
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?
 
Posts: 13982
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:41 pm
Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Re: Roker a Finalist for Warriors Gig

Unread postby swerb » Sun May 15, 2011 8:32 pm

Roker - biggest flaws w him as a coach are that hes a total puss that will let a bad locker room run all over him. And he knows nothing about offensive basketball. And he was outcoached in every playoff series he was in. Other than that, he was great.

He knows D. I also think he did a good job navigating Cavs teams with not a lot of talent around LeHeartless to high win totals during the regular season.

I agree that he deserves another chance. I also think it would have to really be the right situation for him to thrive.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
User avatar
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch
 
Posts: 17918
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2006 5:04 pm
Location: Twinsburg, OH
Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Re: Roker a Finalist for Warriors Gig

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue May 24, 2011 10:30 pm

WojYahooNBA Adrian Wojnarowski
The Los Angeles Lakers are in serious discussions with Mike Brown about becoming the franchise's head coach, league sources told Y! Sports.

Whoa.

And a perfect situation for Roker.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
User avatar
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?
 
Posts: 13982
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:41 pm
Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Re: Roker a Finalist for Warriors Gig

Unread postby GodHatesClevelandSport » Wed May 25, 2011 12:23 am

Byron Scott must be fuming.
GodHatesClevelandSport
 
Posts: 1204
Joined: Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:48 am
Favorite Player: Joe Smith
Least Favorite Player: Joe Smith

Re: Roker a Finalist for Warriors Gig

Unread postby fundamentals » Wed May 25, 2011 7:04 am

GodHatesClevelandSport wrote:Byron Scott must be fuming.


It would appear that Mr. Brown is close to being employed by the Lakers, looking forward to Kobe meltdowns :lmfao:

http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angeles/n ... id=6585949

So what do the Lakers see in Brown that most of us don't? :pop:
"It's all about winning for me, and I think the Cavs are committed to doing that," he said. "But at the same time I've given myself options to this point, and like I said before, me and my team, we have a game plan that we're going to execute, and we'll see what we get."

"We had a great time together."
fundamentals
Goodwill Ambassador
 
Posts: 2915
Joined: Sun Sep 30, 2007 9:59 pm
Favorite Player: Mariano Rivera
Least Favorite Player: Rex Ryan

Re: Roker a Finalist for Warriors Gig

Unread postby Larvell Blanks » Wed May 25, 2011 7:33 am

^ the guy knows his D and was able to make James not only become a better defender but understand the different variables of good defense. We're seeing that now in the Bulls/Heat series.

If Roker gets a good offensive minded coach to work along side him it'd be a great opportunity for him. Hopefully for him he learned from past mistakes by deferring to his franchise player and not being THE voice in the locker room.
Galley Boys are slop on top of a so-so burger and a bun you coulde get from a Covneninet food mart generic pack. They the Antoine Joubert of burgers; soft, sloppy, oozing grease and cheap sauce and extremely overrated by a biased fan base. Proof that if you throw enough cheap sauce shit on a burger you still can't overcome the lame burger. -JB
User avatar
Larvell Blanks
 
Posts: 2574
Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2007 10:15 am
Location: Medina, Ohio
Favorite Player: Foots Walker
Least Favorite Player: un named sources

Re: Roker a Finalist for Lakers Gig

Unread postby Larvell Blanks » Wed May 25, 2011 3:44 pm

Looks like Roker just needs to place his Herbie Hancock on the dotted line...

Chris_Broussard Chris Broussard
Deal is done. Mike Brown and Lakers agree to 4-year, $18.25 million deal. Team option for 4th year. Brown gets $2.5 mil if option not taken
Galley Boys are slop on top of a so-so burger and a bun you coulde get from a Covneninet food mart generic pack. They the Antoine Joubert of burgers; soft, sloppy, oozing grease and cheap sauce and extremely overrated by a biased fan base. Proof that if you throw enough cheap sauce shit on a burger you still can't overcome the lame burger. -JB
User avatar
Larvell Blanks
 
Posts: 2574
Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2007 10:15 am
Location: Medina, Ohio
Favorite Player: Foots Walker
Least Favorite Player: un named sources

Re: Roker a Finalist for Warriors Gig

Unread postby scrambler » Wed May 25, 2011 9:07 pm

swerb wrote: And he was outcoached in every playoff series he was in.


that is so ridiculous it's not even worth commenting on...so I commented on it! I would go so far as to say he wasn't even outcoached the Spurs series in '07. That a team starting Eric Snow at point guard in the NBA finals actually had a chance to win a couple games is a pure testament to his coaching ability. And that series pretty much summed it all up (that Cavs team was hurt by an injury to Larry Hughes...think about that statememt for a long time). It was mainly a talent problem with the LeBron era Cavs, and not a coaching problem with the Cavs. AS much as we hate him, LeBron was right.
scrambler
 
Posts: 815
Joined: Wed May 18, 2011 10:58 am
Location: Idaho
Favorite Player: Charlie Spikes
Least Favorite Player: Oelkers/Yett

Re: Roker a Finalist for Warriors Gig

Unread postby swerb » Wed May 25, 2011 9:57 pm

scrambler wrote:
swerb wrote: And he was outcoached in every playoff series he was in.


that is so ridiculous it's not even worth commenting on...so I commented on it! I would go so far as to say he wasn't even outcoached the Spurs series in '07. That a team starting Eric Snow at point guard in the NBA finals actually had a chance to win a couple games is a pure testament to his coaching ability. And that series pretty much summed it all up (that Cavs team was hurt by an injury to Larry Hughes...think about that statememt for a long time). It was mainly a talent problem with the LeBron era Cavs, and not a coaching problem with the Cavs. AS much as we hate him, LeBron was right.

They were blown away in games 1 and 2 in SA and were swept. You act like they were competitive against the Spurs.

And that they didn't emerge from the weakest conference I've ever seen in 30 years of watching the NBA - the 2007 Eastern Conference. They needed a game five miracle from LeDouchebag and a barrage of Boobie threes in game six to get past an old, shitty Pistons team that was subsequently dismantled right after the season ended.

Mike Brown was outcoached in every playoff series we were in. Or just about every one. Including all those round one wins over the Wizards and Eddie Jordan.

Next season, loses to Boston in rd 2. Season after that, team rolls through two garbage teams and gets their asses handed to them by Orlando. Last year, another round two loss to Boston.

In every single series where the talent was roughly equal, we lost that series under Mike Brown. This is undisputable, with the possible exception of the aforementioned 2007 EC Finals.

He usually had the better defensive team, which was a testament to Brown. And always had the best player, which he had nothing to do with. He does deserve credit for being an excellent regular season coach in my mind, for whatever that's worth. Playoffs are a different animal.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
User avatar
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch
 
Posts: 17918
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2006 5:04 pm
Location: Twinsburg, OH
Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Re: Roker Gets The Lakers Gig

Unread postby swerb » Wed May 25, 2011 10:00 pm

"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
User avatar
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch
 
Posts: 17918
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2006 5:04 pm
Location: Twinsburg, OH
Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Re: Roker Gets The Lakers Gig

Unread postby daddywags » Wed May 25, 2011 10:31 pm

Good for Mike Brown. Glad to hear it and I figured it would happen. More to say, but I'll just leave it at that.
daddywags
 
Posts: 1462
Joined: Sat Jul 21, 2007 1:22 pm

Re: Roker Gets The Lakers Gig

Unread postby Kingpin74 » Thu May 26, 2011 2:38 am

Brown's a good guy and knows defense but this is an awful hire. He's among the worst in-game strategists I've ever seen and those fans will eat him alive. His value would be to a young sloppy team that needs discipline, not a flashy title contender on its last legs and filled with complicated personalities.

But who knows. If Cholly Manuel can be considered a shrewd MLB manager, anything is possible in coaching.
"Well then I guess there's only one thing left to do...win the whole, f***in', thing."- Jake Taylor
User avatar
Kingpin74
 
Posts: 624
Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:11 pm
Favorite Player: Mario Lemieux
Least Favorite Player: Dwight Howard

Re: Roker Gets The Lakers Gig

Unread postby swerb » Thu May 26, 2011 7:24 am

Bud Shaw endorses it too. As if the LeQuitter endorsement was damning enough.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
User avatar
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch
 
Posts: 17918
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2006 5:04 pm
Location: Twinsburg, OH
Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Re: Roker Gets The Lakers Gig

Unread postby pup » Thu May 26, 2011 7:48 am

The next time those Cavs teams were on equal levels talent wise with someone that beat them in the playoffs will be the first.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
User avatar
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan
 
Posts: 12020
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2006 9:15 pm
Location: Eastlake, Ohio
Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Re: Roker Gets The Lakers Gig

Unread postby leadpipe » Thu May 26, 2011 8:37 am

Storied franchise....LaLa land and all....but ILO this is about as big a no-win job you could take.

Nothing tougher than coaching and aging star. Especially one we all know is selfish, and won't be afraid to throw a conveinient person under the bus. Can see this coming a mile away - the team doesn't live up to past years standards, in large part because one of the games great players isn't all that great anymore. As things go south - and even though the aging player continues to age, he'll do what he's done in the past during trying times, which is ignore the offense and other players and chuck it up there, over and over again. Sure, he'll infer that it's Gasol or Bynums fault...but now there is an easy target sitting right there on the fence. And it's not Mike Brown - it's whomever took that job.

Plus you're following Phil.......no thanks.
User avatar
leadpipe
The Reverend
 
Posts: 6607
Joined: Fri Jan 19, 2007 1:58 am

Re: Roker a Finalist for Warriors Gig

Unread postby scrambler » Thu May 26, 2011 11:07 am

swerb wrote:
scrambler wrote:
swerb wrote: And he was outcoached in every playoff series he was in.


that is so ridiculous it's not even worth commenting on...so I commented on it! I would go so far as to say he wasn't even outcoached the Spurs series in '07. That a team starting Eric Snow at point guard in the NBA finals actually had a chance to win a couple games is a pure testament to his coaching ability. And that series pretty much summed it all up (that Cavs team was hurt by an injury to Larry Hughes...think about that statememt for a long time). It was mainly a talent problem with the LeBron era Cavs, and not a coaching problem with the Cavs. AS much as we hate him, LeBron was right.

They were blown away in games 1 and 2 in SA and were swept. You act like they were competitive against the Spurs.

And that they didn't emerge from the weakest conference I've ever seen in 30 years of watching the NBA - the 2007 Eastern Conference. They needed a game five miracle from LeDouchebag and a barrage of Boobie threes in game six to get past an old, shitty Pistons team that was subsequently dismantled right after the season ended.

Mike Brown was outcoached in every playoff series we were in. Or just about every one. Including all those round one wins over the Wizards and Eddie Jordan.

Next season, loses to Boston in rd 2. Season after that, team rolls through two garbage teams and gets their asses handed to them by Orlando. Last year, another round two loss to Boston.

In every single series where the talent was roughly equal, we lost that series under Mike Brown. This is undisputable, with the possible exception of the aforementioned 2007 EC Finals.

He usually had the better defensive team, which was a testament to Brown. And always had the best player, which he had nothing to do with. He does deserve credit for being an excellent regular season coach in my mind, for whatever that's worth. Playoffs are a different animal.


When was the talent ever equal?? Late in the playoffs? So the 2nd round of 2008 when they pushed the World Champion to 7 games and were tied or down 1 with 2 minutes left in game 7 they were equal talent to that team?? We always had the best player on the floor those series' and after that the talent was overwhelming for the other side. Period, end of story. Mike Brown was running out Drew Gooden, the corpse of Ben Wallace, Z, Sasha Pavlovic, the corpse of Shaq, Wally Sczerbiak, Larry Hughes, Varejao et al as the number 2 guy until mighty Mo came, then he was the number 2 guy. Mike Brown outcoached Doc Rivers badly in 2008 playoffs and it's not even debatable. That may have been reversed dramatically in 2010 so it equals out I guess.
scrambler
 
Posts: 815
Joined: Wed May 18, 2011 10:58 am
Location: Idaho
Favorite Player: Charlie Spikes
Least Favorite Player: Oelkers/Yett

Re: Roker Gets The Lakers Gig

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Thu May 26, 2011 11:09 am

Mike Brown went into series with good gameplans.

If that gameplan didn't work Mike Brown didn't care and never changed that gameplan.

If Mike Brown is ever going to be a championship coach he is going to have to break that habit.

Kobe not being consulted on the hiring and Buss' kid (AKA the Bynum Fanboi) picking Roker shows some serious divide within the team between Team Kobe and Team Bynum.

Non of this bodes well for Roker.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
User avatar
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?
 
Posts: 13982
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:41 pm
Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Re: Roker Gets The Lakers Gig

Unread postby Madre Hill, Superstar » Thu May 26, 2011 11:10 am

Does Roker get Brian Shaw?
"The fucking Who...... If I want to watch old people run around ill go set fire to a nursing home." - CDT
User avatar
Madre Hill, Superstar
Eternal Optimist
 
Posts: 4656
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2007 7:06 am
Location: Parma, OH
Favorite Player: The Playa
Least Favorite Player: The Game

Re: Roker Gets The Lakers Gig

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Thu May 26, 2011 11:13 am

Early rumors are Chuck Person (who has a relationship with Roker from Indy) will be the bridge the gap assistant that stays on.

Roker is also fucked in that his list of potential assistant coaches includes some extremely expensive and awesome guys that the Lake Show may tell him he can't have with all of the budget cutting they are doing.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
User avatar
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?
 
Posts: 13982
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:41 pm
Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Re: Roker Gets The Lakers Gig

Unread postby FUDU » Thu May 26, 2011 12:13 pm

leadpipe wrote:Storied franchise....LaLa land and all....but ILO this is about as big a no-win job you could take.

Nothing tougher than coaching and aging star. Especially one we all know is selfish, and won't be afraid to throw a conveinient person under the bus. Can see this coming a mile away - the team doesn't live up to past years standards, in large part because one of the games great players isn't all that great anymore. As things go south - and even though the aging player continues to age, he'll do what he's done in the past during trying times, which is ignore the offense and other players and chuck it up there, over and over again. Sure, he'll infer that it's Gasol or Bynums fault...but now there is an easy target sitting right there on the fence. And it's not Mike Brown - it's whomever took that job.

Plus you're following Phil.......no thanks.

100% agreed, good luck Mike.
Last edited by FUDU on Thu May 26, 2011 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
User avatar
FUDU
 
Posts: 13356
Joined: Sat Feb 17, 2007 2:02 am
Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Re: Roker Gets The Lakers Gig

Unread postby scott » Thu May 26, 2011 12:29 pm

Madre Hill, Superstar wrote:Does Roker get Brian Shaw?


Shaw was expecting the head job by most accounts. Can't see him sticking around after he got passed over.
User avatar
scott
 
Posts: 1039
Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2007 5:09 pm
Location: New York
Favorite Player: Sabby Piscitelli
Least Favorite Player: Everyone Else

Re: Roker Gets The Lakers Gig

Unread postby scott » Thu May 26, 2011 12:33 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:Roker is also fucked in that his list of potential assistant coaches includes some extremely expensive and awesome guys that the Lake Show may tell him he can't have with all of the budget cutting they are doing.


What was Phil making at the end? 15 mil per? They can pay Roker, add a couple high priced assistants and still save some cash. I guess we'll see how dramatic these cost cuts will be. They must know hiring him that they at least need to add a competent offensive coach.

If they do somehow end up with Dwight coming out of this offseason the defense there could be historic.
User avatar
scott
 
Posts: 1039
Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2007 5:09 pm
Location: New York
Favorite Player: Sabby Piscitelli
Least Favorite Player: Everyone Else

Re: Roker Gets The Lakers Gig

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Thu May 26, 2011 12:37 pm

Lake Show just "released" the guy that has been their equipment manager for AGES to cut costs.

Strikes me a bit as fronting pre lockout, but they are really trying to convey that they are seriously cutting costs.

Of course that doesn't mean they intend on breaking up that $90++MM payroll....
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
User avatar
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?
 
Posts: 13982
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:41 pm
Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Re: Roker Gets The Lakers Gig

Unread postby OldDawg » Thu May 26, 2011 2:05 pm

Little ironic that Byron Scott at one time was thought to be holding out and waiting for the Lakeshow gig. Now he has the Cavs and Roker has the Lakeshow.
"The nose of the bulldog has been slanted backwards so that he can breathe without letting go." -- Winston Churchill
User avatar
OldDawg
 
Posts: 3883
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:05 pm
Favorite Player: Mark Price
Least Favorite Player: LePunk Jims

Re: Roker Gets The Lakers Gig

Unread postby Cease » Thu May 26, 2011 2:14 pm

This hire pretty well shocked me, I had B. Shaw penciled in. Some new blood is prolly what the Lakers' brass is looking for, and they will at least let someone from the outside come in and shape things without strings attached to the current roster/regime.

Agreed with Mike's good "Defense 1st" mentality and sufficient game planning skills. But, also that he was consistently out-coached during games. Every team seemed to make adjustments to us at the half, Brown's Cavs never seemed to match wits. Once he had his game plan in motion, he couldn't/didn't adjust.

Maybe he didn't have players (ever?) who could carry out adjustments... Doubtful. You live and learn, if he's matured as a coach, it's a potentially great hire.
User avatar
Cease
 
Posts: 1395
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:47 am
Location: The View
Favorite Player: Gamers
Least Favorite Player: Chuckers

Re: Roker Gets The Lakers Gig

Unread postby OldDawg » Thu May 26, 2011 2:17 pm

And why does it always seem that Roker is doing his mouth and jaw stretches and exercises every time he talks.

Edit: Contrasted to Wedgie's facial contortions, twitches and sniffs
"The nose of the bulldog has been slanted backwards so that he can breathe without letting go." -- Winston Churchill
User avatar
OldDawg
 
Posts: 3883
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:05 pm
Favorite Player: Mark Price
Least Favorite Player: LePunk Jims

Re: Roker Gets The Lakers Gig

Unread postby mattvan1 » Thu May 26, 2011 9:51 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:Mike Brown went into series with good gameplans.

If that gameplan didn't work LeBron didn't care and freelanced.

If Mike Brown is ever going to be a championship coach he is going to have to gain the respect of his superstars.

Kobe not being consulted on the hiring and Buss' kid (AKA the Bynum Fanboi) picking Roker shows some serious divide within the team between Team Kobe and Team Bynum.

Non of this bodes well for Roker.


Embelished a bit but the end result is the same. Mike Brown is the rebound fling before the Lakers completely rebuild in 3 years from now.
I don't need to be patient, they're going to be shit forever.
- CDT, discussing my favorite NFL team
User avatar
mattvan1
 
Posts: 3687
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2006 1:41 pm
Location: Houston


Return to Cleveland Cavaliers & The NBA

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests

Who is online

In total there are 4 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 4 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 181 on Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:50 pm

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests