Text Size

The Neutral Zone

2011 NHL Playoffs

The place to talk hockey. NHL banter, discussions on the Columbus Blue Jackets, the Lake Erie Monsters, and college hockey.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, skatingtripods

Re: 2011 NHL Playoffs

Unread postby skatingtripods » Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:00 pm

Oh. My. God. What a save by Thomas.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby swerb » Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:01 pm

skatingtripods wrote:Oh. My. God. What a save by Thomas.

That was insane.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby skatingtripods » Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:01 pm

peeker643 wrote:I know fatigue plays a part but I wonder if the ice is effed up in Boston. Guys are having a tough time controlling the puck and there have been a lot of giveaways.

Ice is bad. Puck looks like a bouncy ball.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby peeker643 » Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:02 pm

Wow Tim Thomas
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby skatingtripods » Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:05 pm

That's about what it was going to take. A guy getting dirty in front of the net and an unlucky bounce.

Big save = big momentum.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby swerb » Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:31 pm

That sucked. Price and the Canadiens deserved the win tonight. Outplayed the Bruins in the 3rd and both OTs. Montreal D was so good late in this one. Both goalies were so good. This was a classic.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby StewieG » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:08 am

Anyone watching this CHI/VAN game 7? The intensity is amazing, and the crowd is even better.
StewieG

Favorite Player: Delonte MF'in West
Least Favorite Player: LeQuit

Unread postby swerb » Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:37 am

Ryan. Miller. Sucks.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby skatingtripods » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:13 am

swerb wrote:Ryan. Miller. Sucks.

Lack of depth. Team in front of him was dead. First goal a bad re-direction off Grier. Second goal, defensemen were soft and nobody picked up Briere.

The Leino goal was the only bad one of G7, and the game was over at that point.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby swerb » Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:25 pm

skatingtripods wrote:
swerb wrote:Ryan. Miller. Sucks.

Lack of depth. Team in front of him was dead. First goal a bad re-direction off Grier. Second goal, defensemen were soft and nobody picked up Briere.

The Leino goal was the only bad one of G7, and the game was over at that point.

He just looked really overrated to me all series. Had two shutouts, but the other 5 games, and games 5, 6, and 7 ...

Got lots of love for Ryan Miller from the Olympics. Was pulling for the Sabres in large part because of him. He was not good in this series overall IMO.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby skatingtripods » Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:28 pm

swerb wrote:He just looked really overrated to me all series. Had two shutouts, but the other 5 games, and games 5, 6, and 7 ...

Got lots of love for Ryan Miller from the Olympics. Was pulling for the Sabres in large part because of him. He was not good in this series overall IMO.

Fair assessment. I don't think overrated is the word I would use. I'd go more with underachieved. But, I'm also a Sabres fan and sometimes USA-biased in my evaluations so I made be a little blind to his shortcomings.

Looking back at the goals, the Sabres weren't strong enough in front of the net. Philadelphia's forwards go where goals need to be scored and the Sabres lack physical defensemen. Their team isn't built to play teams like the Flyers. More like Montreal and Tampa Bay.

Miller was spent from last season and he had a bad start to this year. Then he went on a tear and Lindy Ruff rode him every night. Then, in March, he missed a few games down the stretch with various nagging injuries. I'm not sure how healthy he was. Not an excuse, because nobody is fully healthy right now, but his legs seemed slow to me. There may be something more there.

Not sure if you watched the late one, VAN/CHI last night, but that was textbook for VAN on how the goaltender is only as good as the team in front of him. He saw every shot and had time to cover every rebound.

Miller wasn't given that luxury. The Sabres need an overhaul in front of him.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby swerb » Tue May 10, 2011 10:24 pm

This Wings/Sharks series has been amazing. What a game we got going on right now.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby swerb » Tue May 10, 2011 10:27 pm

Rookie Couture gets the first one for SJ, then his turnover leads to Det taking the 2-1 lead.

Jimmy Howard has been really good these last couple games.

Whoever wins this vs Vancouver is gonna be awesome.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu May 12, 2011 5:33 pm

9pm on Versus is one of my favorite things in sports: an NHL Playoffs Game 7.

OT is probably asking too much but it'd be nice. ;-) ;) :wink:

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby skatingtripods » Thu May 12, 2011 5:50 pm

peeker643 wrote:9pm on Versus is one of my favorite things in sports: an NHL Playoffs Game 7.

OT is probably asking too much but it'd be nice. ;-) ;) :wink:

You might get OT.

Been a great series. I'll be able to watch the last two periods after Bones. If I try to lobby to have that DVR'd, I'll be ducking from flying makeup all night.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu May 12, 2011 9:57 pm

Might take this entire break between periods for the Red Wings to dislodge their heads from their asses.

Christ, that was brutal.

Do these guys get extra cash for saying Joe Thornton's name? Roenick loves that cat.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby skatingtripods » Thu May 12, 2011 10:28 pm

peeker643 wrote:Do these guys get extra cash for saying Joe Thornton's name? Roenick loves that cat.

Has to make up for calling former teammate Patrick Marleau "gutless". Burned a lot of bridges. Didn't go over well.

Plus, Thornton's perennially a stiff in the playoffs.

Detroit's not doing the little things. Terrible on faceoffs, losing races to loose pucks. They look like a tired team.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu May 12, 2011 10:37 pm

skatingtripods wrote:
peeker643 wrote:Do these guys get extra cash for saying Joe Thornton's name? Roenick loves that cat.

Has to make up for calling former teammate Patrick Marleau "gutless". Burned a lot of bridges. Didn't go over well.

Plus, Thornton's perennially a stiff in the playoffs.

Detroit's not doing the little things. Terrible on faceoffs, losing races to loose pucks. They look like a tired team.

Dan Cleary- If the phone's ringing, don't answer it.

That was a wicked looking concussion.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby skatingtripods » Thu May 12, 2011 11:01 pm

peeker643 wrote:Dan Cleary- If the phone's ringing, don't answer it.

That was a wicked looking concussion.

Yeah it was.

Keith Jones was bold with his comment, but he's right about the loss of Cleary. That's an enormous loss for the Wings. He's their glue guy. Does all the little things and it's a game where Detroit hasn't done enough of the little things.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby skatingtripods » Thu May 12, 2011 11:10 pm

Hell of a start to this period.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby peeker643 » Fri May 13, 2011 9:53 am

Great finish and exciting hockey game.

Just missed my desired OT.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby swerb » Fri May 13, 2011 11:41 am

That was an incredible series.

ECF and WCF should both be excellent. I'll be pulling for Tampa ... I just can't see them beating Tim Thomas and Boston four of seven. Tampa and Roloson have been a great story, and what they did to the Caps was impressive ... Boston is just so deep. Thomas is so good. And I don't know if Roloson can hold up. Kubina is also gonna be missing from the TB defense for the first few games of the series. Tampa's clearly gonna continue to need big time production from St Louis, LeCavalier, and Stamkos. Should be fun.

Still up in the air on Vancouver/San Jose. Both teams nearly choked away 3-0 leads before winning in game seven. Canucks gonna be idle for a week going into this one and Niemi is playing real well for SJ. Sharks have Clowe back, and last nights win were big confidence boost for Marleau and Thornton. Leaning Sharks. I still don't trust Luongo either.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby skatingtripods » Sun May 15, 2011 12:33 pm

Boston looked horrible last night. The PP is pathetic, their top line looked like it did early in the Montreal series, and they couldn't keep up with TB's speed.

Guy Boucher is doing a phenomenal job. He turned the Jackets head coaching vacancy down before going to TB. Looks like he made the absolute right move.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby swerb » Sun May 15, 2011 1:05 pm

Amazing the Bruins power play impotence. Also amazing the two really bad goals Thomas gave up in that 85 second Lightning blitzkrieg last night. Watching him all year, that's two of the worst 5-6 goals I've seen him give up all season.

Agree on Boucher. Amazing the playoff production they are getting from guys like Downie, Purcell, Burgenheim, and Moore.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby swerb » Tue May 17, 2011 9:58 pm

My God ... what a game so far.

Tampa scores right outta the gates. Boston DOMINATES the last 18 min of the 1st period, their much maligned power play clicking on all cylinders, creating all kinds of excellent scoring chances ... and they finally get a PP goal at the end of their 3rd 1st period PP to tie it 1-1.

Then Tampa scores with 6 seconds left in the 1st on an amazing play by Stamkos and St. Louis. Tampa takes all the momentum into the locker room. Roloson playing amazing again. Lightning leads 2-1. Looking at their 9th straight playoff win, all against the beasts of the East, one away from the record of 10 straight playoff wins.

Wrong.

Bruins score twice in the first 2 min of the second to take a 3-2 lead. Drop five goals on Tampa in the second. Two by the pup Seguin, who also assisted on Ryder's two goals later in the period.

Bruins lead 6-3, and look scary good.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby swerb » Tue May 17, 2011 10:59 pm

What a game two. Had a little bit of everything.

Boston holds on for dear life to win 6-5. Some amazing saves by Thomas late.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby swerb » Mon May 23, 2011 9:27 pm

Ballsy move by Boucher going with Mike Smith in goal tonight. Tough call on Roloson ... he looked good early in this series. At times brilliant. But the last two games he looked like a 41 year old goalie running out of steam after playing a lot of games this season.

He's looked pretty good so far. Took a beautiful Lucic to Horton one timer to finally beat him.

Halfway through this one. 1-1. Been a really good series.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby skatingtripods » Mon May 23, 2011 9:30 pm

swerb wrote:Halfway through this one. 1-1. Been a really good series.

Little bit of everything in the series. Close games, blowouts, comebacks. It's definitely been interesting.

Too bad whoever wins this series gets clubbed by VAN with the way they're playing.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby swerb » Mon May 23, 2011 9:41 pm

skatingtripods wrote:
swerb wrote:Halfway through this one. 1-1. Been a really good series.

Little bit of everything in the series. Close games, blowouts, comebacks. It's definitely been interesting.

Too bad whoever wins this series gets clubbed by VAN with the way they're playing.

They're gonna be tough to beat. They're just rollin'. Penalties against them are death sentences with how good they've been on the PP. And Luongo seems to have mentally rebounded from that emotional collapse in rd 1 vs the Blackhawks. He's playing like the Vezina candidate that rolled through the reg season.

IMO, Boston has the much better chance against them with Bergeron back now and Thomas in goal. Much deeper than TB as well. They just gotta stop committing stupid turnovers. Give away a goal or two a game on dumb giveaways. Krejci gave TB their first one tonight a minute in.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby swerb » Mon May 23, 2011 9:44 pm

Marchand from Bergeron. 2-1 Bruins. Bergeron has been outstanding since returning. And Boston has itself three really good young players in Lucic, Marchand, and Seguin.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby skatingtripods » Mon May 23, 2011 9:56 pm

I just hope Bergeron can avoid another concussion. Guy's a very talented player, but his career is a ticking time bomb with every shift he takes.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby swerb » Tue May 24, 2011 7:58 am

Timmy Thomas ... big third period last night. As much as I dislike the Bruins, he's impossible not to like as an American hockey fan. Especially if you listen to the guys comments in the post game presser. Ultimate pros pro.

Thought Smith played OK last night for TB ... both goals he allowed were tough. Wasn't challenged too often though. Tampa outskated and outshot Boston, yet the Bruins allowed just the one goal, which took a bad bad turnover and a technically bad defensive play by Boychuk (defending the 2 on 1 that resulted) to get that one past Thomas.

Be interesting to see if Boucher goes back to Roloson back home in Tampa in game six.

Looking like a Boston/Vancouver Stanley Cup Finals, and it should be a great one.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby skatingtripods » Tue May 24, 2011 5:58 pm

swerb wrote:Be interesting to see if Boucher goes back to Roloson back home in Tampa in game six.

Word around all the major media outlets is that it's back to Rollie for Game 6.

Makes sense. Interesting tactic by Boucher to give him a game to rest. I like it. The Monsters did it with 37 year old John Grahame. It backfired and they lost Game 5 and subsequently the series. But, in this case, I support the move.

I expect a Game 7 in Boston.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby swerb » Tue May 24, 2011 9:52 pm

skatingtripods wrote:
swerb wrote:Be interesting to see if Boucher goes back to Roloson back home in Tampa in game six.

Word around all the major media outlets is that it's back to Rollie for Game 6.

Makes sense. Interesting tactic by Boucher to give him a game to rest. I like it. The Monsters did it with 37 year old John Grahame. It backfired and they lost Game 5 and subsequently the series. But, in this case, I support the move.

I expect a Game 7 in Boston.

Rollie it is

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_d ... nhl-wp5599

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Wed May 25, 2011 5:39 pm

Why are these national media goons bagging on Bieksa? Dude can't get credit for what I consider to be a heads up play and nice shot inti a small window.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby swerb » Wed May 25, 2011 6:19 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:Why are these national media goons bagging on Bieksa? Dude can't get credit for what I consider to be a heads up play and nice shot inti a small window.

He is one of the players I have really taken a liking to in these playoffs. I loved that play last night.

Not nearly as great as his ass whooping of Marleau though ... that was an epic beatdown.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed May 25, 2011 7:08 pm

Watched that replay 12 times last night and it's still squirrely. But I appreciate the 2bl OT going late and allowing me to forget the Tribe game.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby skatingtripods » Wed May 25, 2011 8:43 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:Why are these national media goons bagging on Bieksa? Dude can't get credit for what I consider to be a heads up play and nice shot inti a small window.

He's made himself at least 500-750k per year above what his market value was thanks to the series he had against SJ. Perfect time to head to free agency for him.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby swerb » Wed May 25, 2011 9:39 pm

Bruins special teams have been a joke in this series. Between that and the sloppy turnovers, it's a miracle they're leading this series 3-2.

Huge second period for the Lightning. They're not nearly as talented as Boston, but they're much more well coached, capitalize on mistakes and opportunities, and are more fundamentally sound.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby swerb » Wed May 25, 2011 10:51 pm

What a finish to this one. Another great game. This series has been incredible. And we get a game seven Friday night. :thumb up:

Nathan Horton - another player I have learned to love this post-season.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed May 25, 2011 10:55 pm

swerb wrote:What a finish to this one. Another great game. This series has been incredible. And we get a game seven Friday night. :thumb up:

Yep to the Game 7 :thumb up:

Last four minutes it was like rink was severely tilted to Bruins offensive sound. The St. Louis goal a minute after the Bruins cut it one may go down as the key goal of that series.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby swerb » Wed May 25, 2011 11:01 pm

peeker643 wrote:
swerb wrote:What a finish to this one. Another great game. This series has been incredible. And we get a game seven Friday night. :thumb up:

Yep to the Game 7 :thumb up:

Last four minutes it was like rink was severely to Bruins offensive sound. The St. Louis goal a minute after the Bruins cut it one may go down as the key goal of that series.

Was classic Boston. That whole sequence just defined them as a team. Horton and Krejci make an amazing play to pull em within one, then that god damn bonehead Johnny Boychuck makes about his fifth idiotic mistake this postseason that has led to a goal.

Boston has 14-15 of the 20 most talented players in this series.

Tampa is so much tighter as a team. Love Guy Boucher. The look on his face addressing his team during that time out Boston called late ... my God. Dude is going to enjoy a long, successful career as a coach.

Tampa is set up well for the long haul with Yzerman, Boucher, Stamkos. A GM, a coach, a star player.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Thu May 26, 2011 10:08 am

The NHL playoffs are for the hardcore sports fan, the action and skill trumps the NBA going away. One is chess, the other checkers. But still it gets no respect.

I'm picking the Lightning to upset the Bruins at home, Boston's PP makes the CBJs look like a stone cold killer. Too many weapons for TB, they can make mistakes and still pull themselves out of the hole with their firepower.

Vancouver should raise Lord Stanley's Cup IMO.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby swerb » Thu May 26, 2011 10:09 am

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:The NHL playoffs are for the hardcore sports fan, the action and skill trumps the NBA going away. One is chess, the other checkers. But still it gets no respect.

I'm picking the Lightning to upset the Bruins at home, Boston's PP makes the CBJs look like a stone cold killer. Too many weapons for TB, they can make mistakes and still pull themselves out of the hole with their firepower.

Vancouver should raise Lord Stanley's Cup IMO.

Yeah - Vancouver is a clearly superior team, save a potential Bobbu Lou meltdown.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby skatingtripods » Thu May 26, 2011 10:13 am

Vancouver's hoping for Boston, I can promise you that.

Tampa's leaders seem to have stepped up more. St. Louis with 20 in 17. Cat's a player. Amazing to think I saw him some 15 odd years ago when he was on an amateur try-out contract with the Cleveland Lumberjacks. He was clearly superior to the others on the ice though.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Thu May 26, 2011 10:34 am

Tampa Bay vs Vancouver would be like 2 Bantam Roosters going at each other.

Skill and speed all over the ice.

I would've loved to see St. Louis in a CBJ sweater, but alas it was never to be. Of course had the got him he would've probably slipped on a banana peel and broke his ankle. Or maybe he might've caught the gout and be forced into early retirement.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby swerb » Thu May 26, 2011 10:54 am

skatingtripods wrote:Vancouver's hoping for Boston, I can promise you that.

Tampa's leaders seem to have stepped up more. St. Louis with 20 in 17. Cat's a player. Amazing to think I saw him some 15 odd years ago when he was on an amateur try-out contract with the Cleveland Lumberjacks. He was clearly superior to the others on the ice though.

Nothing more I admire in sports than guys that are able to take their games to a new level when the stakes are highest, when all the chips are in the middle of the table.

Marty Freaking St. Louis is one of those guys. Scrappy, little, tough ... and absolutely nails when TB needs him most. He has been outstanding in this series.

Also, listening to Stamkos speak on XM this morning at the post game presser, the kid sounds like he's been in the league 10 years. What a grounded kid. He's started to really come around as well after a slow start to the playoffs.

LeCavalier too.

The Big Threee have been $$$ in the bank for the Lightning in this series. :clap:

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby swerb » Fri May 27, 2011 8:35 pm

Electric intensity so far in this one. Both goalies have been outstanding. Thomas has made some great saves, looks really dialed in. Couple massive hits by Seidenberg.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby skatingtripods » Fri May 27, 2011 9:02 pm

I really should change the channel from the Indians game to Game 7, but I can't get myself to do it.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby swerb » Fri May 27, 2011 9:02 pm

Great pic of Downie putting Chara in the stands.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

PreviousNext

Return to The Neutral Zone