Text Size

Cleveland Indians & MLB

David Wright

Talk Tribe, talk baseball in this forum.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, paulcousineau

Re: David Wright

Unread postby swerb » Tue May 24, 2011 2:09 pm

Emailed my buddy in LA I do business with. Diehard/informed Dodgers fan. Really jaded right now though. ;-) ;) :wink:

Here's what he said about the Dodgers potentially selling and who they'd likely wanna dump:

The dodgers are a trainwreck right now. They are gonna unload and reboot, almost for sure.

Casey Blake, still injured and old, but could be productive for a playoff run with the tribe.

Carroll has been one of the most consistent players this year- always hustling… also a good playoff pickup.

Uribe was a terrible decision for the dodgers from the start- I wouldn’t want him on my team.

Garland- 4th or 5th starter?? Not much to me.

I don’t know why mccourt is fighting so hard? He could probably make some $ on the sale, and hang out in one of the many homes he bought with our dodger $.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
User avatar
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch
 
Posts: 17919
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2006 5:04 pm
Location: Twinsburg, OH
Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Re: David Wright

Unread postby googleeph2 » Tue May 24, 2011 2:24 pm

I come here mostly to learn, not teach- so pardon me if this is too outlandish.

Shawn Marcum is 6-1 LHP with like a 2.40. He's arby-eligible nextyear, and a free agent in 2013.

The Tribe has dealt with the Brewers- there was the CC trade.

The Brewers are a few games over .500, and 3 1/2 back of St. Louis.

Could he be a viable target for a midseason move if they tank (pleasepleaseplease)?
User avatar
googleeph2
 
Posts: 1717
Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2006 8:40 am
Favorite Player: Todd Beamer
Least Favorite Player: .

Re: David Wright

Unread postby dazindiansfanuk » Tue May 24, 2011 2:35 pm

googleeph2 wrote:I come here mostly to learn, not teach- so pardon me if this is too outlandish.

Shawn Marcum is 6-1 LHP with like a 2.40. He's arby-eligible nextyear, and a free agent in 2013.

The Tribe has dealt with the Brewers- there was the CC trade.

The Brewers are a few games over .500, and 3 1/2 back of St. Louis.

Could he be a viable target for a midseason move if they tank (pleasepleaseplease)?


Marcum's a RHP, not a LHP.

The Brewers just acquired him this past-offseason to team up with Gallardo and Greinke.... I doubt they'd trade him 3-4 months later.

EDIT: Especially as the Brewers traded their top prospect (Lawrie) for him.
User avatar
dazindiansfanuk
Tyner Is God
 
Posts: 8992
Joined: Fri Apr 27, 2007 9:21 am
Location: Cardiff, UK
Favorite Player: Jhonny Peralta
Least Favorite Player: Curt Schilling

Re: David Wright

Unread postby pup » Tue May 24, 2011 2:54 pm

Depending on the health of Pronk...



Image
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
User avatar
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan
 
Posts: 12020
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2006 9:15 pm
Location: Eastlake, Ohio
Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Re: David Wright

Unread postby British_Pharaoh » Tue May 24, 2011 2:54 pm

dazindiansfanuk wrote:
googleeph2 wrote:I come here mostly to learn, not teach- so pardon me if this is too outlandish.

Shawn Marcum is 6-1 LHP with like a 2.40. He's arby-eligible nextyear, and a free agent in 2013.

The Tribe has dealt with the Brewers- there was the CC trade.

The Brewers are a few games over .500, and 3 1/2 back of St. Louis.

Could he be a viable target for a midseason move if they tank (pleasepleaseplease)?


Marcum's a RHP, not a LHP.

The Brewers just acquired him this past-offseason to team up with Gallardo and Greinke.... I doubt they'd trade him 3-4 months later.

EDIT: Especially as the Brewers traded their top prospect (Lawrie) for him.


Especially with Gallardo languishing in AAA now
"There is but one thing of real value: to cultivate truth and justice and to live without anger in the midst of lying and unjust men"

-Marcus Aurelius
User avatar
British_Pharaoh
Tony Sipp IS HERE!
 
Posts: 9164
Joined: Fri Oct 13, 2006 9:31 pm
Location: Pardubice, Czech Republic
Favorite Player: Michael Brantley
Least Favorite Player: Alexei Ramirez

Re: David Wright

Unread postby WiscTribeFan » Tue May 24, 2011 3:32 pm

British_Pharaoh wrote:Especially with Gallardo languishing in AAA now


You must be thinking of someone else. He pitched last night against the Nats.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/players/7926
Don't go away mad, just go away.
User avatar
WiscTribeFan
Mook
 
Posts: 2692
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 1:10 pm
Location: Kenosha, WI
Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Re: David Wright

Unread postby dazindiansfanuk » Tue May 24, 2011 3:49 pm

pup wrote:Depending on the health of Pronk...



Image


Thome would be a tough one..... some Indians fans hate him, but him hitting #600 at The Jake for the Tribe would (or should I say "should") be a big attendance boost.

And the guy can still hit.
User avatar
dazindiansfanuk
Tyner Is God
 
Posts: 8992
Joined: Fri Apr 27, 2007 9:21 am
Location: Cardiff, UK
Favorite Player: Jhonny Peralta
Least Favorite Player: Curt Schilling

Re: David Wright

Unread postby skatingtripods » Tue May 24, 2011 3:52 pm

Meh on Garland. Too much like all the guys we already have. Sinker/slider type.

I wish Lilly was up for FA after this year. I'd like a crafty LHP in the rotation like him. He's much better than this year's numbers.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
User avatar
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan
 
Posts: 14350
Joined: Tue May 01, 2007 12:27 pm
Location: Cleveland
Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Re: David Wright

Unread postby peeker643 » Tue May 24, 2011 4:02 pm

WiscTribeFan wrote:
British_Pharaoh wrote:Especially with Gallardo languishing in AAA now


You must be thinking of someone else. He pitched last night against the Nats.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/players/7926



They've also won 8 of their last 10 and 11 of their last 14. They'll have to make a call in a month whether they're looking for a lot of the same things the Tribe will be looking for.

They have a bad month it might be intersting but right now they're trending toward 'buyers'.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."


I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
User avatar
peeker643
Duly Noted
 
Posts: 22756
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:33 pm
Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Re: David Wright

Unread postby Jumbo » Tue May 24, 2011 4:54 pm

dazindiansfanuk wrote:
pup wrote:Depending on the health of Pronk...



Image


Thome would be a tough one..... some Indians fans hate him, but him hitting #600 at The Jake for the Tribe would (or should I say "should") be a big attendance boost.

And the guy can still hit.


I think Thome might fall into the category of time heals all wounds. Also, having the Decision lessened some of the sting of The Rock, which lessened some of the sting of Manny getting paid, which lessened the sting of Belle signing with the White Sox. In the end, winning trump (dis)loyalty.

If Pronk is definitely out for the season, Nick Johnson can't come back and play, and there's no other position player available that makes sense...then definitely give it some thought.
User avatar
Jumbo
Chowderhead
 
Posts: 949
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2006 8:29 pm
Favorite Player: is not Buster Posey
Least Favorite Player: A.J. Pierzynski

Re: David Wright

Unread postby googleeph2 » Tue May 24, 2011 5:12 pm

I like the thought of targeting a couple guys who have produced in pressure situations, proving their control over sphincter puckering. Hence a Paul Byrd circa 2007 type of guy.

We just don't know how most of these guys are going to react.
User avatar
googleeph2
 
Posts: 1717
Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2006 8:40 am
Favorite Player: Todd Beamer
Least Favorite Player: .

Re: David Wright

Unread postby Dnthateonthepronk » Tue May 24, 2011 7:14 pm

bookelly wrote:I (inlove) Hanahands. But if the Mets are sellers who can argue David Wright. It would cost us the Chiz probably, and one of our stud lefties in the minors + ?. Would you make the deal assuming he's healthy? I would.

heres the link for story and stats http://bleacherreport.com/articles/676399-new-york-mets-is-it-time-to-consider-moving-david-wright

/I think Dolan would approve of this BTW - the contract is only for 2 years with an option. Expensive, but we got nearly everyone on this team on the dole(an) - ha!



I have sent the same type of question to Hoynsie twice in the last month.

I would do Chisenhall and Kipnis and a lower level pitcher say a Bryson or a price.

Lets face it Chizzy wouldnt be teh fieldre Wright is and its obvious how important defense to this team is.

Plus Wright also has value as a trade chip in the event of unforseen circumstances
Alex White: Just like School on Sunday......No Class.
User avatar
Dnthateonthepronk
 
Posts: 1823
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:57 pm
Location: Virginia Beach
Favorite Player: Dan Marino
Least Favorite Player: Alex Rodriguez

Re: David Wright

Unread postby Dnthateonthepronk » Tue May 24, 2011 7:17 pm

Commodore Perry wrote:I would be surprised if the Indians traded any significant prospects. The farm is this team's life blood. With guys like grady, choo, haf and o.c., probably gone in the next couple of years, the tribe is going to need everyone they can get out of the farm.




yeha but if is needed they could trade those guys off for prospects or recieve very good compensation for them if they left as free agents
Alex White: Just like School on Sunday......No Class.
User avatar
Dnthateonthepronk
 
Posts: 1823
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:57 pm
Location: Virginia Beach
Favorite Player: Dan Marino
Least Favorite Player: Alex Rodriguez

Re: David Wright

Unread postby Dnthateonthepronk » Tue May 24, 2011 7:19 pm

RedDawg53 wrote:
And yeah, I would offer to drive Lonnie to the airport.



He is already gagged, tied up and in the trunk of my car ready to go
Alex White: Just like School on Sunday......No Class.
User avatar
Dnthateonthepronk
 
Posts: 1823
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:57 pm
Location: Virginia Beach
Favorite Player: Dan Marino
Least Favorite Player: Alex Rodriguez

Re: David Wright

Unread postby Dnthateonthepronk » Tue May 24, 2011 7:21 pm

Kingpin74 wrote:I'd try to rent Jose Reyes for the rest of the year,



Fuck it...go for both :thumb up:
Alex White: Just like School on Sunday......No Class.
User avatar
Dnthateonthepronk
 
Posts: 1823
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:57 pm
Location: Virginia Beach
Favorite Player: Dan Marino
Least Favorite Player: Alex Rodriguez

Re: David Wright

Unread postby Dnthateonthepronk » Tue May 24, 2011 7:24 pm

Personally if we are going to go to dream land, I say we call up the mariners offer them Chiz, Kipnis, and Alex White for King Felix.


It would never happen, but a true ace is really what we need, but doesnt everybody.


Plus then we could turn around and deal Felix for a bounty if need be.
Alex White: Just like School on Sunday......No Class.
User avatar
Dnthateonthepronk
 
Posts: 1823
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:57 pm
Location: Virginia Beach
Favorite Player: Dan Marino
Least Favorite Player: Alex Rodriguez

Re: David Wright

Unread postby WiscTribeFan » Wed May 25, 2011 9:06 am

Dnthateonthepronk wrote:Personally if we are going to go to dream land, I say we call up the mariners offer them Chiz, Kipnis, and Alex White for King Felix.


It would never happen, but a true ace is really what we need, but doesnt everybody.


Plus then we could turn around and deal Felix for a bounty if need be.


You mean Alex White the guy who probably isn't going to pitch anymore this year due to a freak injury on his pitching hand?
Don't go away mad, just go away.
User avatar
WiscTribeFan
Mook
 
Posts: 2692
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 1:10 pm
Location: Kenosha, WI
Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Re: David Wright

Unread postby skatingtripods » Wed May 25, 2011 9:07 am

WiscTribeFan wrote:
Dnthateonthepronk wrote:Personally if we are going to go to dream land, I say we call up the mariners offer them Chiz, Kipnis, and Alex White for King Felix.


It would never happen, but a true ace is really what we need, but doesnt everybody.


Plus then we could turn around and deal Felix for a bounty if need be.


You mean Alex White the guy who probably isn't going to pitch anymore this year due to a freak injury on his pitching hand?


If it were Bavasi, he still might do it.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
User avatar
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan
 
Posts: 14350
Joined: Tue May 01, 2007 12:27 pm
Location: Cleveland
Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Re: David Wright

Unread postby pup » Wed May 25, 2011 10:01 am

WiscTribeFan wrote:
Dnthateonthepronk wrote:Personally if we are going to go to dream land, I say we call up the mariners offer them Chiz, Kipnis, and Alex White for King Felix.


It would never happen, but a true ace is really what we need, but doesnt everybody.


Plus then we could turn around and deal Felix for a bounty if need be.


You mean Alex White the guy who probably isn't going to pitch anymore this year due to a freak injury on his pitching hand?


Come on. It is only a finger. How long can that linger? :hide:

Besides, just tell the M's he can always cut it off if need be. Mordecai could do it.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
User avatar
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan
 
Posts: 12020
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2006 9:15 pm
Location: Eastlake, Ohio
Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Re: David Wright

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed May 25, 2011 10:35 am

M's are right in that race as of now and may stay in it solely because of the pitching they're getting from Hernandez, Pineda and Fister, et al.

The might soon be shopping in the same aisle as the Tribe.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."


I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
User avatar
peeker643
Duly Noted
 
Posts: 22756
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:33 pm
Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Re: David Wright

Unread postby Jumbo » Wed May 25, 2011 11:10 am

peeker643 wrote:M's are right in that race as of now and may stay in it solely because of the pitching they're getting from Hernandez, Pineda and Fister, et al.

The might soon be shopping in the same aisle as the Tribe.


Yeah. They could use David Wright, et al., even more than the Indians could.

Along those lines, this season seems unusual in that the AL seems tighter than the NL. The only definite AL seller at this point seems to be the Twins, with like 4 or 5 probable sellers already in the NL, aided by the Dodgers and Mets issues. We'll see where things are on July 15.
User avatar
Jumbo
Chowderhead
 
Posts: 949
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2006 8:29 pm
Favorite Player: is not Buster Posey
Least Favorite Player: A.J. Pierzynski

Re: David Wright

Unread postby bucknutz94 » Wed May 25, 2011 8:48 pm

Yeah. A lot of close races mean fewer sellers and more buyers. If the Dodgers and Mets decide to turn things over they'll have a shit ton of teams to deal with. And some of those teams will value their own prospects much less than the Tribe does.
bucknutz94
 
Posts: 211
Joined: Fri May 22, 2009 11:40 pm
Favorite Player: Billy Wood
Least Favorite Player: Jeff Downs

Re: David Wright

Unread postby pup » Wed May 25, 2011 8:53 pm

If 85% of the people in Cleveland have ever heard the name of the minor leaguer being requested by another team, you can pretty much cross him off the list of being traded.

No way is this group suddenly going to go Anti-Plan and unload any of the kids for a quick fix. This isn't even the year they are supposed to be full tilt. They will scream patience and hope the yutes are what they expect next year.

Right, wrong, or indifferent.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
User avatar
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan
 
Posts: 12020
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2006 9:15 pm
Location: Eastlake, Ohio
Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Re: David Wright

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed May 25, 2011 9:32 pm

pup wrote:If 85% of the people in Cleveland have ever heard the name of the minor leaguer being requested by another team, you can pretty much cross him off the list of being traded.

No way is this group suddenly going to go Anti-Plan and unload any of the kids for a quick fix. This isn't even the year they are supposed to be full tilt. They will scream patience and hope the yutes are what they expect next year.

Right, wrong, or indifferent.


Well, I get the point, but no way in hell 85% of the people in Cleveland have ever heard of Kipnis, Chisenhall, Phelps or Pomeranz.

Just saying....
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."


I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
User avatar
peeker643
Duly Noted
 
Posts: 22756
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:33 pm
Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Re: David Wright

Unread postby pup » Wed May 25, 2011 9:44 pm

peeker643 wrote:
pup wrote:If 85% of the people in Cleveland have ever heard the name of the minor leaguer being requested by another team, you can pretty much cross him off the list of being traded.

No way is this group suddenly going to go Anti-Plan and unload any of the kids for a quick fix. This isn't even the year they are supposed to be full tilt. They will scream patience and hope the yutes are what they expect next year.

Right, wrong, or indifferent.


Well, I get the point, but no way in hell 85% of the people in Cleveland have ever heard of Kipnis, Chisenhall, Phelps or Pomeranz.

Just saying....


Sorry. If 85 people in Cleveland...
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
User avatar
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan
 
Posts: 12020
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2006 9:15 pm
Location: Eastlake, Ohio
Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Re: David Wright

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed May 25, 2011 9:49 pm

pup wrote:
peeker643 wrote:
pup wrote:If 85% of the people in Cleveland have ever heard the name of the minor leaguer being requested by another team, you can pretty much cross him off the list of being traded.

No way is this group suddenly going to go Anti-Plan and unload any of the kids for a quick fix. This isn't even the year they are supposed to be full tilt. They will scream patience and hope the yutes are what they expect next year.

Right, wrong, or indifferent.


Well, I get the point, but no way in hell 85% of the people in Cleveland have ever heard of Kipnis, Chisenhall, Phelps or Pomeranz.

Just saying....


Sorry. If 85 people in Cleveland...


:thumb up:

;-) ;) :wink:
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."


I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
User avatar
peeker643
Duly Noted
 
Posts: 22756
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:33 pm
Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Re: David Wright

Unread postby bookelly » Wed May 25, 2011 11:20 pm

I agree they will be stingy in giving up players, but its clear to me now that they have some sort of numbers system they crunch to evaluate trades. They will have a set number value for Wright, Reyes, the King and if a trade comes in at above said # value (including $alary no doubt) I bet they pull the trigger.

Like it or not, this team is run by a computer program now. Tribe is one of the most SABr metric teams in the league.

Edit; After thinking about it, there is prolly only one number the computer spits out which is relative player value, then the FO would have to decide if it made business sense. I bet it's any interesting process, one which they guard very deeply I heard as it's obviously quite a good system/program.
Nobody, I mean nobody, voluntarily becomes a Cleveland sports fan.

"This team could fuck up a ham sandwich." -CDT
User avatar
bookelly
Happy Easter!!
 
Posts: 3511
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:58 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Favorite Player: My bunny hunny
Least Favorite Player: Elmer Fudd

Re: David Wright

Unread postby skatingtripods » Thu May 26, 2011 7:57 am

bookelly wrote:Like it or not, this team is run by a computer program now. Tribe is one of the most SABr metric teams in the league.


If this were true, you really think that they'd have signed Orlando Cabrera?
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
User avatar
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan
 
Posts: 14350
Joined: Tue May 01, 2007 12:27 pm
Location: Cleveland
Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Re: David Wright

Unread postby bookelly » Thu May 26, 2011 8:36 am

skatingtripods wrote:
bookelly wrote:Like it or not, this team is run by a computer program now. Tribe is one of the most SABr metric teams in the league.


If this were true, you really think that they'd have signed Orlando Cabrera?


Well, yeah. Obviously defense plays into the formula, and he was cheap. I think he's more than fulfilled his spot holding down 2B until one of the kids is ready. Not arguing there wasn't some gut instinct involved, there always is.
Nobody, I mean nobody, voluntarily becomes a Cleveland sports fan.

"This team could fuck up a ham sandwich." -CDT
User avatar
bookelly
Happy Easter!!
 
Posts: 3511
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:58 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Favorite Player: My bunny hunny
Least Favorite Player: Elmer Fudd

Re: David Wright

Unread postby skatingtripods » Thu May 26, 2011 8:49 am

bookelly wrote:
skatingtripods wrote:
bookelly wrote:Like it or not, this team is run by a computer program now. Tribe is one of the most SABr metric teams in the league.


If this were true, you really think that they'd have signed Orlando Cabrera?


Well, yeah. Obviously defense plays into the formula, and he was cheap. I think he's more than fulfilled his spot holding down 2B until one of the kids is ready. Not arguing there wasn't some gut instinct involved, there always is.


In retrospect, I should have put completely in front of true. I know what the point you were making was.

There are plenty of other exceptions, basically all the vet signings over the last 5-6 years.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
User avatar
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan
 
Posts: 14350
Joined: Tue May 01, 2007 12:27 pm
Location: Cleveland
Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Re: David Wright

Unread postby motherscratcher » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:18 am

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/11/27/the-mets-lowball-david-wright/

The Mets recent "lowball" offer of a measly $100mil (actually it is a lowball offer. Crazy world) made me think of this thread. Reading through it, it's not quite as embarrassing as you might think. A few "what would we do with Chiz" comments and my favorite (sorry Jumbo):
It looks like the Mets a major hole at second base. Hmm...Phelps or Kipnis + Hagadone for Wright? But that leaves Chiz blocked, but there'd be no rush to deal him or anything.


Some things that struck me the most was the thought that Wright's injury might mean he's never the same again. The Dodgers were sellers and in dire straights financially. We had a promising player named Cord Phelps. Pomeranz was all but untouchable...

This thread is only a year and a half old...but it was a million damn years ago.
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
User avatar
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers
 
Posts: 7748
Joined: Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:14 pm
Location: La La Land
Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Re: David Wright

Unread postby gotribe31 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:07 am

If he were healthy, it would cost too much and if he's not healthy, then there's no point.


Why would the Mets deal an MVP-caliber 3B for a projected above-average 2B and a lefty reliever?
You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves
-----Abe Lincoln

Let me tell you, if any of you douchebag empty headed stuffed suit nanny politicians tries to fuck with my bacon, I’m going after you like a crazed chimpanzee on bath salts.
-----Lars
User avatar
gotribe31
 
Posts: 2494
Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2008 5:38 pm
Location: Fairfax, VA
Favorite Player: Francisco Lindor
Least Favorite Player: Michigan

Re: David Wright

Unread postby Jumbo » Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:12 pm

motherscratcher wrote:http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/11/27/the-mets-lowball-david-wright/

The Mets recent "lowball" offer of a measly $100mil (actually it is a lowball offer. Crazy world) made me think of this thread. Reading through it, it's not quite as embarrassing as you might think. A few "what would we do with Chiz" comments and my favorite (sorry Jumbo):
It looks like the Mets a major hole at second base. Hmm...Phelps or Kipnis + Hagadone for Wright? But that leaves Chiz blocked, but there'd be no rush to deal him or anything.


Ironically, Kipnis vs. Wright is actually an interesting short-term vs. long-term, contender vs. rebuilding comparison. Would one season of Wright (before FA) be more or less valuable than 6 years of Kipnis? How good of a team do you need in 2013 before your answer changes from Kipnis to Wright?

FWIW, Jonah Keri ranks Kipnis #31 on his trade value list on Grantland. Wright is not listed (or, at least, I didn't see him on a quick scan).
User avatar
Jumbo
Chowderhead
 
Posts: 949
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2006 8:29 pm
Favorite Player: is not Buster Posey
Least Favorite Player: A.J. Pierzynski

Re: David Wright

Unread postby skatingtripods » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:07 pm

Jumbo wrote:FWIW, Jonah Keri ranks Kipnis #31 on his trade value list on Grantland. Wright is not listed (or, at least, I didn't see him on a quick scan).


Can't list a guy when you don't know his contract situation, which was a big part of Keri's rankings.

Kipnis is likely to be worth 15-25 wins over that six years, possibly more. Wright won't be worth that in one season.

Couple that with what we'd have to give up. Really not close between the two.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
User avatar
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan
 
Posts: 14350
Joined: Tue May 01, 2007 12:27 pm
Location: Cleveland
Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Re: David Wright

Unread postby bookelly » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:43 pm

My God am I WAAAAY too much of an optimist.

Like MS said...amazing what 1 1/2 can do. I'm now at the point where I probably won't buy the MLB ticket this year, and just give up on the Tribe for a while...maybe forever. Ouch that hurt to type. :pb:

/FTR - If you've lost ME as a fan, you are in deep, deep trouble. I'm as loyal as they come, but even I have my limits as to how much bullshit I can take from this owner.
Nobody, I mean nobody, voluntarily becomes a Cleveland sports fan.

"This team could fuck up a ham sandwich." -CDT
User avatar
bookelly
Happy Easter!!
 
Posts: 3511
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:58 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Favorite Player: My bunny hunny
Least Favorite Player: Elmer Fudd

Previous

Return to Cleveland Indians & MLB

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: ybot and 2 guests

Who is online

In total there are 3 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 2 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 181 on Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:50 pm

Users browsing this forum: ybot and 2 guests