Text Size

Cleveland Browns & The NFL

The Nuclear Option

Talk Browns football and discuss the NFL here.

Moderators: peeker643, jb, swerb, pup

The Nuclear Option

Unread postby hiko » Wed May 11, 2011 2:51 pm

The players used their Nuclear Option and decertified and took the whole conflict to the courthouse, effectively stopping mediation and hoping that the court system would fight their fight for them. And it has worked (to an extent).

However, now there is rumbling that the Owners will use their Nuclear Option and shut down the league. Goodell didn't deny they might do that.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/05/11/goodell-on-nfl-shutdown-rumor-were-considering-a-variety-of-alternatives/

The courts can't force the NFL to open their doors if the NFL is not under operation.

That path would probably end up defeating the Players, since most of them don't have big fallback sources of income to tap into (just lucky ones like Kelly Holcomb and his assorted sandwich products). But is fraught with many other potholes, like licensing contracts and stadium leases and TV contracts and such.

Anyone know exactly how that would work?

I wonder if the NFL is just considering filing for Chapter 11 Bankruptcy protection. They could shut their doors and Bankruptcy law could protect them from lawsuits until they force the players to mediate. The Bankruptcy would never get discharged, but they can file it as many times as they want and are protected each time it gets filed (unless the players move to prevent future filings, which would require yet another separate hearing).

Course, this means that we'd be in for even more super-fun legal battles.

In the end, the only way this thing gets fixed is mediation. I hope the players are smart enough to realize this - the longer they wait, the worse the deal they strike is liable to be. They should be mediating their ass off in an effort to get this done while they still have an advantage.

But they won't.
hiko

Favorite Player: Gray
Least Favorite Player: Black and White

Re: The Nuclear Option

Unread postby JCoz » Wed May 11, 2011 3:50 pm

Well, the Mannings DO have....

So they have that going for them....
JCoz
Donnie, you're out of your element

Favorite Player: Competency
Least Favorite Player: Gene Smith

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Wed May 11, 2011 6:18 pm

Not me. But I do know this shit is becoming laughable.

They're all scum.

I ain't expecting no NFL this year.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby hiko » Wed May 11, 2011 6:40 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:

Not me. But I do know this shit is becoming laughable.

They're all scum.

I ain't expecting no NFL this year.

I never thought that might even be an option, but I too am beginning to feel that way. Too many spoiled rich people on both sides.
hiko

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Wed May 11, 2011 7:35 pm

The whole thing is a farce, the NFLPA dissolving, the courtroom drama, all of it. It'll be the fans that really miss out, and I doubt the NFL comes back hat in hand with lowered ticket and merch prices. They'll still rape our wallets.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby motherscratcher » Wed May 11, 2011 8:55 pm

If I'm understanding Hiko's new avatar, the only hope we have left as NFL fans is for President Comacho to step in and fix this thing.
Shit The Bed For Ted

- Matty Toes (Vandelay Industries)
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Thu May 12, 2011 1:18 pm

motherscratcher wrote:If I'm understanding Hiko's new avatar, the only hope we have left as NFL fans is for President Comacho to step in and fix this thing.

Isn't that Coco B. Wear? And WTF is yours?
This natural coozy comes free with every Miller Time
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Favorite Player: 1995 Indians
Least Favorite Player: Global Warming

Unread postby motherscratcher » Thu May 12, 2011 1:47 pm

Erie Warrior wrote:
motherscratcher wrote:If I'm understanding Hiko's new avatar, the only hope we have left as NFL fans is for President Comacho to step in and fix this thing.

Isn't that Coco B. Wear? And WTF is yours?

Shit The Bed For Ted

- Matty Toes (Vandelay Industries)
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby hiko » Tue May 17, 2011 9:38 am

He would, too. A couple players and owners run over by a monster truck, and the rest would be agreeing to anything.

Camacho ain't puttin' up with discussions of Labor Law and Injunctions.
hiko

Unread postby Triple-S » Tue May 17, 2011 12:36 pm

Weird hypothetical to play out, that was mentioned on ESPN just a few minutes a go.

The entire season is locked out...or..we only get 8 games in..whatever. The NFL decides to keep the draft order the same, or Carolina STILL winds up with the first overall.

Now on the other hand, Football LeBron is kicking ass at Stanford his senior season, and even winds up with the Heisman in the end. He doesn't suffer a Jake Locker senior-season, and blows everyone away at the combine, senior bowl, you name it.

McCoy on the other hand doesn't look bad, or doesn't play at all, either way the Browns are back in the top 10 range.

Do you stay the course and continue to try to build around Colt, who still has some uncertainty around him, or do you offer the farm for that first overall pick, making mike ditka blush?
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories

Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Unread postby hiko » Tue May 17, 2011 1:20 pm

Triple-S wrote:Weird hypothetical to play out, that was mentioned on ESPN just a few minutes a go.

The entire season is locked out...or..we only get 8 games in..whatever. The NFL decides to keep the draft order the same, or Carolina STILL winds up with the first overall.

Now on the other hand, Football LeBron is kicking ass at Stanford his senior season, and even winds up with the Heisman in the end. He doesn't suffer a Jake Locker senior-season, and blows everyone away at the combine, senior bowl, you name it.

McCoy on the other hand doesn't look bad, or doesn't play at all, either way the Browns are back in the top 10 range.

Do you stay the course and continue to try to build around Colt, who still has some uncertainty around him, or do you offer the farm for that first overall pick, making mike ditka blush?

This is the easiest question ever.

If Colt sucks, you try to get Luck.

If Colt plays OK, you try to get Luck.

If Colt gets hurt, you try to get Luck.

If Colt plays pretty well, you try to get Luck.

The only way that you don't try to upgrade from Colt to Luck is if Colt just blows the socks off the world this season, b/c Luck is a once-in-10-years franchise QB and you don't pass that up for Colt McCoy.

Hell, if Carolina does pick #1 again next year, THEY should take Luck, even if they just drafted Newton.
hiko

Unread postby bac5665 » Tue May 17, 2011 1:45 pm

You realize of course, that now Luck will be a bust right? No one gets this much hype and pans out. Doesn't happen.
bac5665

Favorite Player: Jason Kipnis
Least Favorite Player: Bug Selig

Unread postby hiko » Tue May 17, 2011 2:09 pm

bac5665 wrote:You realize of course, that now Luck will be a bust right? No one gets this much hype and pans out. Doesn't happen.

hiko

Unread postby SoulDawg74 » Tue May 17, 2011 4:18 pm

hiko wrote:
bac5665 wrote:You realize of course, that now Luck will be a bust right? No one gets this much hype and pans out. Doesn't happen.

SD:

What no Joe Namath
SoulDawg74

Unread postby hiko » Tue May 17, 2011 5:35 pm

SoulDawg74 wrote:SD:

What no Joe Namath

I was just going #1 overall picks that won championships and became Hall of Famers.

I even left off Eli Manning, who only won a championship (the HoF would be doubtful at this point).
hiko

Unread postby SoulDawg74 » Tue May 17, 2011 9:19 pm

hiko wrote:

What no Joe Namath

I was just going #1 overall picks that won championships and became Hall of Famers.

I even left off Eli Manning, who only won a championship (the HoF would be doubtful at this point).

SD:

I think Bradshaw went about 5th in the first round IIRC.

No matter Just tried to support your position that not all ballyhood prospects were busters.

Namath not only made the HOF his upset of Bmore as a 17/1/2 point dog put that event on the map and changed the league forever giving the AFL its first win just as they disbanded.

Joseph William "Joe" Namath (pronounced /ˈneɪmɨθ/; born May 31, 1943), nicknamed "Broadway Joe" or "Joe Willie",[1] is a former American football quarterback. He played college football for the University of Alabama under coach Paul "Bear" Bryant and his assistant, Howard Schnellenberger, from 1962–1964, and professional football in the American Football League (AFL) and National Football League (NFL) during the 1960s and 1970s. Namath was an American Football League icon and played for that league's New York Jets for most of his professional career but finished his career with the NFL's Los Angeles Rams. He was elected to the Hall of Fame in 1985.

SoulDawg
SoulDawg74

Unread postby hiko » Tue May 17, 2011 9:32 pm

Per Wikipedia:

Bradshaw was the first player selected in the 1970 NFL Draft by the Pittsburgh Steelers; the Steelers drew the first pick in the draft after winning a coin flip tiebreaker with the Chicago Bears due to both teams having identical 1-13 records in 1969.[4] In either case, Bradshaw was hailed at the time as the consensus number one pick, regardless of which team drafted him.

FWIW, I didn't think he was a #1 overall either, but then again I was a zygote in 1970.
hiko

Unread postby Madre Hill, Superstar » Wed May 18, 2011 9:44 am

How did this turn from a labor drama thread into yet another fucking QB thread?
"The fucking Who...... If I want to watch old people run around ill go set fire to a nursing home." - CDT
Madre Hill, Superstar
Eternal Optimist

Favorite Player: The Playa
Least Favorite Player: The Game

Unread postby jb » Wed May 18, 2011 11:01 am

Madre Hill, Superstar wrote:How did this turn from a labor drama thread into yet another fucking QB thread?

He's gifted that way.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby Fire Marshall Bill » Wed May 18, 2011 12:26 pm

jb wrote:
Madre Hill, Superstar wrote:How did this turn from a labor drama thread into yet another fucking QB thread?

He's gifted that way.

Who?

hiko or SD?
Hope is a moment now long past
The Shadow of Death is the one I cast
Koo koo ka joob....I am the Walrus
Fire Marshall Bill

Favorite Player: Killer Bean
Least Favorite Player: Charcoal&Piss

Unread postby hiko » Wed May 18, 2011 12:53 pm

Fire Marshall Bill wrote:
jb wrote:

He's gifted that way.

Who?

hiko or SD?

He means SD.

I would've preferred this to stay a labor thread, but no one wants to talk about that so much (can't blame them).

It's all but a done deal that the NFL wins the appeal and the lockout becomes permanent. If the Players had any brains, they'd try to cut the best deal they could before the ruling comes back (probably by the end of June). But DeMo is a petty little man and maybe football players are as dumb as people figure they are, so they'll likely wait until the ruling (desperately hoping for a miracle that probably won't come), pout and whine for a while until Training Camp is lost, then cut a deal that they probably could've had back in March.

If the Players hadn't gone the nuclear option in the first place (decertifying) and just kept negotiating, this whole fuggin' thing would prolly be done already.
hiko

Unread postby SoulDawg74 » Wed May 18, 2011 1:50 pm

hiko wrote:
Fire Marshall Bill wrote:
jb wrote:

He's gifted that way.

Who?

hiko or SD?

He means SD.

I would've preferred this to stay a labor thread, but no one wants to talk about that so much (can't blame them).

It's all but a done deal that the NFL wins the appeal and the lockout becomes permanent. If the Players had any brains, they'd try to cut the best deal they could before the ruling comes back (probably by the end of June). But DeMo is a petty little man and maybe football players are as dumb as people figure they are, so they'll likely wait until the ruling (desperately hoping for a miracle that probably won't come), pout and whine for a while until Training Camp is lost, then cut a deal that they probably could've had back in March.

If the Players hadn't gone the nuclear option in the first place (decertifying) and just kept negotiating, this whole fuggin' thing would prolly be done already.

SD:

But then the malevolent little troll , and the fake prince would never have had their high noon show down .

Dumb ass players are getting pimped like looney tunes ,while Goody Goodell is sweating bullets for having overplayed his hand.

The problem all along has been the personalities in the room weren't large enough , both succumbed to the chattering blatherings of their minions .

The leadership void by both parties is quite shocking,,neither fool understands the art of the deal.

Lawyers are shit when it comes to negotiation, its incumbent upon the clients to be smart enough to reign them in and close the deal.

SoulDawg
SoulDawg74

Unread postby hiko » Wed May 18, 2011 2:51 pm

But then the malevolent little troll , and the fake prince would never have had their high noon show down .

Dumb ass players are getting pimped like looney tunes ,while Goody Goodell is sweating bullets for having overplayed his hand.

The problem all along has been the personalities in the room weren't large enough , both succumbed to the chattering blatherings of their minions .

The leadership void by both parties is quite shocking,,neither fool understands the art of the deal.

Lawyers are shit when it comes to negotiation, its incumbent upon the clients to be smart enough to reign them in and close the deal.

SoulDawg

Agree - DeMo never had any intentions of negotiating a contract without going to war. And when a leader drags the masses into a war that he's convinced them they will win - and they lose - the masses eventually turn on that leader.

And like many leaders throughout history, I see DeMo's ego bringing his "nation" to ruin by continuing to fight when any reasonable chance of victory has passed.

Goodell hasn't looked all that great in this thing either. He passed up several chances to take the high road, and he's looked weak at times. Stronger leadership on both sides could've headed this thing off a long time ago.
hiko

Unread postby hiko » Wed May 25, 2011 12:13 pm

Thought this was an interesting article in PFT today:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/05/25/agent-wants-to-present-latest-labor-offer-to-players-these-guys-are-driving-these-players-right-off-a-cliff/

We don’t know if it’s a groundswell or a grassroots movement just yet, but there appears to be growing support for the players and owners to sit down and negotiate once again.

Falcons running back Jason Snelling, Falcons linebacker Coy Wire, and Eagles kicker David Akers have all publicly expressed a desire to negotiate soon rather than continue to pursue a litigation/leverage strategy. And if the NFLPA* doesn’t want to negotiate, at least one agent wants to do it for them.

Agent Joe Linta wants to get a copy of ownership’s most recent proposal and present it to his players.

“I’d like to see it myself so when I talk to my 45 guys, I can show them what it is – since there is no union,’’ Linta told Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. “I would like Mr. Rooney to forward the offer to me. I represent two percent of the union, I’m not insignificant. Let me ask you something, who has the players’ back more, the players union or the player’s agent? Why can’t I get copy of this and disseminate it to my players?”

Agents generally have their interests aligned with the players. But we’ve also seen many of them implore the NFLPA* via Twitter to negotiate with the league again or make a counter proposal. That runs counter to the current player strategy.

Ultimately, agents have similar interests to fans: They just want a fair deal done quickly, with labor peace to follow. Linta worries that this litigation strategy could wipe out the season, and he wonders if most players would really oppose the current NFL offer.

He thinks that top agents, who negotiate for a living, could help if they were kept in the loop.

These guys are driving these players right off a cliff right now. I told a father of one of my players who got drafted, it’s 50-50 this season is not going to happen. These coaches are starting to go looney-toon too,” Linta said.
hiko

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Wed May 25, 2011 12:57 pm

New rules changes are soooo awesome. Now a flag can only be thrown on a "forcible blow" to a QB's head. WTF is a forcible blow? Does Ray Lewis grab Big Ben's head and try to jam his phallus into his mouth while muttering "I need this".

They're also considering banning farting and swearing from the locker room. No more full pads at practice either, only heavy touching followed by a 30 minute cool down and tea party.

The NFL is gay.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby pup » Wed May 25, 2011 1:12 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:New rules changes are soooo awesome. Now a flag can only be thrown on a "forcible blow" to a QB's head. WTF is a forcible blow? Does Ray Lewis grab Big Ben's head and try to jam his phallus into his mouth while muttering "I need this".

They're also considering banning farting and swearing from the locker room. No more full pads at practice either, only heavy touching followed by a 30 minute cool down and tea party.

The NFL is gay.

Isn't "forcible blow" better than simply touching the helmet drew the same flag?
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby hiko » Wed May 25, 2011 1:19 pm

pup wrote:
Cerebral_DownTime wrote:New rules changes are soooo awesome. Now a flag can only be thrown on a "forcible blow" to a QB's head. WTF is a forcible blow? Does Ray Lewis grab Big Ben's head and try to jam his phallus into his mouth while muttering "I need this".

The NFL is gay.

Isn't "forcible blow" better than simply touching the helmet drew the same flag?

I agree. Scratching the helmet with the fingernail would draw a penalty last year - "forcible blow" might actually be an improvement.
hiko

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Wed May 25, 2011 1:23 pm

pup wrote:

The NFL is gay.

No.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby Gradysmanldy » Tue May 31, 2011 4:42 pm

Yes. Last years rule was chizekopf, this is better.
Check me out at Dawgsbynature, where I write stuff, or @twitter as Josh Finney.
Gradysmanldy

Favorite Player: Melts Parmageddon
Least Favorite Player: The East Coast media

Unread postby googleeph2 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:36 pm

I couldn't care less if David Akers ever plays football again.
I don't even know who Jason Snelling and Coy Wire are.

I do care whether the Falcons, Eagles et al plays again.
And I have in fact heard of Andrew Luck.

That all means something, I am sure.
googleeph2

Favorite Player: Todd Beamer
Least Favorite Player: .

Return to Cleveland Browns & The NFL