Text Size

No Holds Barred

Getting into Cleveland for an Indians game

Need to get something off your chest? Have a topic that doesn't fit one of the other forums? Rant away in here. Mature audiences only, not for the easily offended.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, Ziner

Getting into Cleveland for an Indians game

Unread postby Bayou Tribe » Tue May 24, 2011 9:42 pm

Going to be staying at Quail Hollow. Is there a feasible way to get into the city by metro (even a park and ride out towards where I'm staying) or am I better off driving the rental into town? Are there a good bit of options in terms of parking around the stadium?

What areas should I avoid and what should I hit up? Every other time I've been there I have stayed downtown and walked to The Jake. So this is somewhat uncharted. TIA.
"Dammit you piss me off. I f#ckin hate you and I hope you f#cking get killed by a rabid polar bear you douche bag."

-- TIMMAH to CDT
Bayou Tribe
"Rickey wants to play baseball"

Favorite Player: Drew Brees
Least Favorite Player: Steve Smith

Re: Getting into Cleveland for an Indians game

Unread postby swerb » Tue May 24, 2011 9:55 pm

Don't think you're gonna get a park and ride out that far east. Quail is sweet though. You golfing?

Weekday or a weeknight? Will somewhat dictate the best places to hang before/after.

There's parking all around the stadium. Attendance will obviously dictate how easy it is to park and how close you'll be.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby Squints » Tue May 24, 2011 10:03 pm

I come in on 90-east like you will staying at Quail Hollow. Take route 2 east off 90 when you are in the city- the exit says "Downtown." Take route 2 for 1-2 miles to the west 3rd exit- Browns stadium is directly on your right. Turn left on W 3rd St. It dead ends into the Renaissance Hotel in roughly 4 blocks. There are 3 surface lots. I park in the small lot adjacent to the right of the Renaissance Hotel. That lot is $5 the other lots are $6. I walk through Tower City which is connected to the hotel. The Tower City walk way leads directly to the Gateway plaza. It's about a 10 minute walk from the lot to the plaza. It's a walk, but it's the backway into the city, you bypass all of the traffic and you'll find the cheapest parking. It's also not far from Paninis, etc.

You will get many recomendations to get into the city. As for the RTA, I grew up in the area and I have a jaded, suburbonite opinion about that, but can be cheaper to drive in than take the RTA from its eastermost stop.
Squints

Favorite Player: Howard, Tim
Least Favorite Player: Howard, Desmond

Unread postby Bayou Tribe » Tue May 24, 2011 10:24 pm

swerb wrote:Don't think you're gonna get a park and ride out that far east. Quail is sweet though. You golfing?

Weekday or a weeknight? Will somewhat dictate the best places to hang before/after.

There's parking all around the stadium. Attendance will obviously dictate how easy it is to park and how close you'll be.

Going to be in Thursday thru Saturday next week (Rangers series). Making the Friday night game with a vendor and co-worker (going to ride in with them and take their lead on pregame and things of that sort), but trying to get out Thursday night by myself. No problem driving in, just going to have to do my "site seeing" before the game and chill for the last few innings for the drive back.

I would love to golf out there (place looks awesome), but I'm not sure I'll have time on this trip. Should be at least a yearly thing now with my new job, so I'll be getting a better lay of the land in the future.
"Dammit you piss me off. I f#ckin hate you and I hope you f#cking get killed by a rabid polar bear you douche bag."

-- TIMMAH to CDT
Bayou Tribe

Unread postby Larvell Blanks » Wed May 25, 2011 7:41 am

Bayou Tribe wrote:
Going to be in Thursday thru Saturday next week (Rangers series). Making the Friday night game with a vendor and co-worker (going to ride in with them and take their lead on pregame and things of that sort), but trying to get out Thursday night by myself. No problem driving in, just going to have to do my "site seeing" before the game and chill for the last few innings for the drive back.

I would love to golf out there (place looks awesome), but I'm not sure I'll have time on this trip. Should be at least a yearly thing now with my new job, so I'll be getting a better lay of the land in the future.

Where you sitting Friday Night? We're taking our 2.5 yr old down for his first game and will be sitting out in RF near the Tribe pen.
Galley Boys are slop on top of a so-so burger and a bun you coulde get from a Covneninet food mart generic pack. They the Antoine Joubert of burgers; soft, sloppy, oozing grease and cheap sauce and extremely overrated by a biased fan base. Proof that if you throw enough cheap sauce shit on a burger you still can't overcome the lame burger. -JB
Larvell Blanks

Favorite Player: Foots Walker
Least Favorite Player: un named sources

Unread postby skatingtripods » Wed May 25, 2011 8:47 am

Finally, something I can give my expertise on.

Since you're coming in town for a weekend series, the cheapest lot you'll find close to the ballpark will probably be $20. If you're coming down very early, you can check on Carnegie for an abandoned parking meter. The meters are only enforced til 6 pm and only on weekdays. So, if you get down there at 4, you'd pay basically $2 to park at a meter for the night.

Either that or there's a brick road called Sumner right next to the Erie Street Cemetery. You can park there for free, but be aware of the pole that has the sign on it that says you can park behind it. They ticketed everybody parked in front of it last Saturday.

If you have to park somewhere, Tower City's the way to go, but they're messing around with the roads in and out of the parking lot, so it's a bit of a pain in the ass to get down there. There's detour signs posted, though. If you're parking there for weekend games, do the hourly parking. $6 v. $10 for event parking.

I think the North Gateway Garage is always $10-12, which will be your cheapest bet for a weekend if you aren't there early enough to secure a meter/spot on Sumner.

You could pick up the RTA Rapid out East on Van Aken out in Shaker Hts., but I take no responsibility for the safety of your car or your personal safety. That's $2.50 each way I think, maybe $5.

Anything else, feel free to ask.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby Larvell Blanks » Wed May 25, 2011 9:05 am

There's a small lot, 2 levels, just to the east of E9th and Prospect that's $10 for gameday parking. You'll literally be less than 1,000 ft from Panini's/Alesci's/Lizard/etc.
Galley Boys are slop on top of a so-so burger and a bun you coulde get from a Covneninet food mart generic pack. They the Antoine Joubert of burgers; soft, sloppy, oozing grease and cheap sauce and extremely overrated by a biased fan base. Proof that if you throw enough cheap sauce shit on a burger you still can't overcome the lame burger. -JB
Larvell Blanks

Unread postby Bayou Tribe » Wed May 25, 2011 9:18 am

Thanks to all of you guys, great info. Looks like Thursday night I'll just drive in and park. Should be cheaper and less hastle than trying to park and ride.

Larvell, I'm not sure where I'll be sitting either night. I was planning on buying tickets outside the gate on Thursday night and then Friday night I'll be with a vendor (not sure where their company's tickets are). I'll be with them Friday night, but I'll be good to sneak away for a bit and roam around the stadium if you want to meet up and grab a quick brew. I'll post here or pm you next week closer to game day.

-- TIMMAH to CDT
Bayou Tribe

Unread postby Toxicadam » Thu May 26, 2011 9:44 am

Larvell Blanks wrote:There's a small lot, 2 levels, just to the east of E9th and Prospect that's $10 for gameday parking. You'll literally be less than 1,000 ft from Panini's/Alesci's/Lizard/etc.

^^ This is where I always go, because I like to grab a beer/sandwich before I go to the game.
Toxicadam

Unread postby swerb » Thu May 26, 2011 11:43 am

I think I'm gonna be at the Fri night game as well w the little guy in sec 159
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby Bayou Tribe » Thu May 26, 2011 12:07 pm

swerb wrote:I think I'm gonna be at the Fri night game as well w the little guy in sec 159

Something makes me think I'll be between home and first (over the 1st base dugout). I'll let you know next week when I find out for sure. I really wish Friday night was my non-work related night because it would be great to set something up beforehand (beer and a bite to eat). Either way, would enjoy meeting some of you guys if possible.

I'll be the one proudly rocking the Albert Belle jersey :cheers:

-- TIMMAH to CDT
Bayou Tribe

Unread postby Larvell Blanks » Thu May 26, 2011 3:06 pm

Bayou Tribe wrote:
swerb wrote:I think I'm gonna be at the Fri night game as well w the little guy in sec 159

Something makes me think I'll be between home and first (over the 1st base dugout). I'll let you know next week when I find out for sure. I really wish Friday night was my non-work related night because it would be great to set something up beforehand (beer and a bite to eat). Either way, would enjoy meeting some of you guys if possible.

I'm sure I'll be walking around the joint w/ the little guy at some point during the game. He like to "run the bases" when the plyers do when watching so he may need to xpend some energy after sitting watching. Hopefully we can at least meet up for a quick beer.

Bayou Tribe wrote:I'll be the one proudly rocking the Albert Belle jersey :cheers:

Tribe or LSU jersey?
Larvell Blanks

Unread postby Bayou Tribe » Fri May 27, 2011 3:41 pm

Larvell Blanks wrote:Tribe or LSU jersey?

Tribe. Getting a Joey Belle LSU jersey would be a huge coup, he didn't exactly leave Baton Rouge in the best terms. Either way, I'll get with you middle of next week and hopefully we can grab a brew and talk Tribe next Friday for a minute.

-- TIMMAH to CDT
Bayou Tribe

Unread postby Larvell Blanks » Sat May 28, 2011 8:45 am

Bayou Tribe wrote:
Larvell Blanks wrote:Tribe or LSU jersey?

Tribe. Getting a Joey Belle LSU jersey would be a huge coup, he didn't exactly leave Baton Rouge in the best terms. Either way, I'll get with you middle of next week and hopefully we can grab a brew and talk Tribe next Friday for a minute.

A Belle LSU jersey would rank right up there w/ my Mo Scurry UNLV jersey

Defintley hit me up.
Larvell Blanks

Unread postby Bayou Tribe » Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:38 pm

Thanks for all of the directions and recommendations guys, everything was spot on.

Settled back in at home now, but had a great trip up. Weather was fantastic, Tribe could have played better, but I'll take the good with the bad.

-- TIMMAH to CDT
Bayou Tribe

Unread postby swerb » Sun Jun 05, 2011 6:43 pm

Bayou/Brian, Larvell/Scott ... great meeting you guys. Good times.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby Bayou Tribe » Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:13 pm

Good meeting you as well, Rich. Enjoyed the small talk. Hopefully I get to make it up there more often with the new job.

-- TIMMAH to CDT
Bayou Tribe

Unread postby Larvell Blanks » Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:55 am

Rich, great meeting up with you as well.

Bayou, damn iPhone and delayed text messages. By the time you made it down to the Bud deck, we were passing through the gates headed out to the car. We'll get it figured out one day. Like I said that night, may try to make it down for a Tiger game in the fall.
Larvell Blanks

Return to No Holds Barred