Text Size

Cleveland Indians & MLB

David Wright

Talk Tribe, talk baseball in this forum.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, paulcousineau

David Wright

Unread postby bookelly » Tue May 24, 2011 2:20 am

I (inlove) Hanahands. But if the Mets are sellers who can argue David Wright. It would cost us the Chiz probably, and one of our stud lefties in the minors + ?. Would you make the deal assuming he's healthy? I would.

heres the link for story and stats http://bleacherreport.com/articles/676399-new-york-mets-is-it-time-to-consider-moving-david-wright

/I think Dolan would approve of this BTW - the contract is only for 2 years with an option. Expensive, but we got nearly everyone on this team on the dole(an) - ha!
Nobody, I mean nobody, voluntarily becomes a Cleveland sports fan.

"This team could fuck up a ham sandwich." -CDT
bookelly
Happy Easter!!

Favorite Player: My bunny hunny
Least Favorite Player: Elmer Fudd

Re: David Wright

Unread postby British_Pharaoh » Tue May 24, 2011 6:09 am

He's injured a lot and looks like a chipmunk.

I vote no and keep Chisenhall, he's gonna be good
"There is but one thing of real value: to cultivate truth and justice and to live without anger in the midst of lying and unjust men"

-Marcus Aurelius
British_Pharaoh
Tony Sipp IS HERE!

Favorite Player: Michael Brantley
Least Favorite Player: Chris Perez

Unread postby swerb » Tue May 24, 2011 8:11 am

Gonna be real interesting as we get into July. I do believe the Dolans are going to be willing to spend to enhance this team. But what do you do?

Can always use more arms. Nathan and Capps (both struggling now) are both FA's at year end for the 15-31 Twins. So is Francisco Rodriguez for the Mets, who has been lights out this season.

Offensively, clearly you could make a move at 3B. But any option where we won't have to give up Chisenhall, what kind of upgrade is that going to be over Hannahan?

The health of Hafner/Sizemore will dictate what the team does offensively. If both can return, I'm not sure the team makes a major move. Who do you supplant? If Sizemore cannot return to full strength, almost assuredly the team goes after a corner outfielder. Jason Kubel and Ryan Ludwick are both impending FA's on shit teams.

Could be a move to bring another corner infielder in. Former Indians Casey Blake and Jamey Carroll with the Dodgers may make sense.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby Jumbo » Tue May 24, 2011 9:18 am

Another bullpen arm would be really solid. Although the top of the bullpen has been lights out, it will be really nice to have some extra depth for down the stretch and making up the rainouts.

Obviously the health of Sizemore and Hafner is the key to figuring out where the team goes in terms of position players. An important question: in an ordinary year, they would've given Nick Johnson enough time to see if he can come back and play in Hafner's absence...but will they have that luxury this summer?

The biggest shocker to me of winning that game last night (and a testament both to how strong the pitching has been and how awesome Brantley and A-Cab have been) is that they won going O-Cab/Hannahan/Kearns/Marson at the bottom of the order...with Buck as the DH! You can different-hero-every-night all you want, but in the long run they will need another bat (RH outfielder?) if Sizemore and Pronk can't come back healthy.

(The upside to that, of course, is while watching that game it's so great to imagine RS fan comparing the lineups and wondering how in heaven's name they're getting beat.)
Jumbo
Chowderhead

Favorite Player: is not Buster Posey
Least Favorite Player: A.J. Pierzynski

Unread postby bookelly » Tue May 24, 2011 9:38 am

He blew a save tonight but Heath Bell would look good in the BP. Although I'd probably rather see Hagadone or even Miller as Bell would be expensive for something we have in-house options for.

I know Chiz is the second coming and all, but the kid realistically needs probably one, two or three years before he hits stride. David Wright is in his prime now, and we still have guys like Phelps, Kipnis, and Rodriguez (edit - Donald) in the farm as up and comers for the future. Mostly, I like Wright because of the gold glove. Add contact, major power, and speed without sacrificing D. Per my post above...he's available.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/w/wrighda03.shtml

Kid is nails. And a RH bat. Dream with me;

Grady - L
Droobs -S
Choo -L
Wright- R
Pronk - L
Santana - S
Laporta - R
Brantley -L
Uncle - L(or Phelps - S)

And we keep Hannahands as our utility guy. With Carrera - L , Buck- L, Duncan - R, Marson- R, and Phelps - S/Uncle on the bench.

That's an awesome deep, and flexible lineup. You can go all lefty or (although it would be weaker) almost all righty.

BTW- Phelps can play outfield too. So you can shorten your bench and carry an extra guy (in this case Carrera for speed.)
Last edited by bookelly on Tue May 24, 2011 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

bookelly
Happy Easter!!

Unread postby peeker643 » Tue May 24, 2011 9:41 am

British_Pharaoh wrote:He's injured a lot and looks like a chipmunk.

Exactly. Who needs a 28 yr old five time All Star and two time gold glove winner with a career OPS+ of 135?

If (IF) his back will mend and not be an issue and it will cost you Lonnie Chisenhall you offer to drive Chisenhall to the airport.

I remember when Jaret Wright and Albie Lopez were can't miss guys who held up deals for Randy Johnson and Pedro.

That worked out splendidly.

Relatively young, proven all star over those can't miss guys who might one day be a shitty defensive version of Wright.

Don't understand this line of thought BP.

Unless it's all about the injury and fears of future back issues and I'd agree then that it all comes down to medical.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby Commodore Perry » Tue May 24, 2011 9:51 am

I would be surprised if the Indians traded any significant prospects. The farm is this team's life blood. With guys like grady, choo, haf and o.c., probably gone in the next couple of years, the tribe is going to need everyone they can get out of the farm.

We might pick up someone as a salary dump, for a few average prospects in positions we're deep in. But i don't see them trading any penciled in future starters like chiz.

Nearly every position on this team has legitimate starters in AAA waiting to fill in for an injury. I'd say season ending injuries to either santana or haf would be most likely to lead to a trade, but that's it.
All the Good Things Happening in Cleveland
http://www.clevelandnewsblog.com
Commodore Perry
Old School American

Unread postby bookelly » Tue May 24, 2011 9:55 am

peeker643 wrote:
British_Pharaoh wrote:He's injured a lot and looks like a chipmunk.

Exactly. Who needs a 28 yr old five time All Star and two time gold glove winner with a career OPS+ of 135?

If (IF) his back will mend and not be an issue and it will cost you Lonnie Chisenhall you offer to drive Chisenhall to the airport.

I remember when Jaret Wright and Albie Lopez were can't miss guys who held up deals for Randy Johnson and Pedro.

That worked out splendidly.

Relatively young, proven all star over those can't miss guys who might one day be a shitty defensive version of Wright.

Don't understand this line of thought BP.

Unless it's all about the injury and fears of future back issues and I'd agree then that it all comes down to medical.

This is the 800 million lb gorrilla. But he's only under contract for through 2012 with a club option for 13. What then really is the risk? He won't come cheap tho. But we have the chips... that's for sure. But the best part is that the Mets are REALLY gonna look to dump salary...so the bidding price (in terms of prospects) can be lowered for cash.
Last edited by bookelly on Tue May 24, 2011 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

bookelly
Happy Easter!!

Unread postby gotribe31 » Tue May 24, 2011 9:59 am

His back is broken. I repeat; his BACK is BROKEN. If he were healthy, it would cost too much and if he's not healthy, then there's no point.

When healthy, David Wright is one of the best players in baseball, offensively and defensively. He would cost a LOT more than just Chiz.

There are lots of internal options this team will turn to before they even need to think about dealing for someone outside the org. Phelps, Putnam, Judy, Hagadone...no reason not to at least give these guys a shot before dealing some of our prospect currency for vets outside the org.
You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves
-----Abe Lincoln

Let me tell you, if any of you douchebag empty headed stuffed suit nanny politicians tries to fuck with my bacon, I’m going after you like a crazed chimpanzee on bath salts.
-----Lars
gotribe31

Favorite Player: Francisco Lindor
Least Favorite Player: Michigan

Unread postby bookelly » Tue May 24, 2011 10:11 am

gotribe31 wrote:His back is broken. I repeat; his BACK is BROKEN. If he were healthy, it would cost too much and if he's not healthy, then there's no point.

When healthy, David Wright is one of the best players in baseball, offensively and defensively. He would cost a LOT more than just Chiz.

There are lots of internal options this team will turn to before they even need to think about dealing for someone outside the org. Phelps, Putnam, Judy, Hagadone...no reason not to at least give these guys a shot before dealing some of our prospect currency for vets outside the org.

He has a stress fracture in his back yes. He didn't even know about it and played four games. He's currently on rest for a week until it heals and then he's back to baseball activities. If anything, this lowers the asking price.

Look guys, I don't mean to harp on this, but it's just a great fit. When you look around the team you think of where the weak points are and Hanahands bat always comes up but you say no...we must live with that for the glove. Well, Mr. Wright has two Gold Gloves...

Does anyone really want to see the Chiz up here for his glove? This staff relies on IF D. And the Chiz is no Wiz at the hot corner.

bookelly
Happy Easter!!

Unread postby Kingpin74 » Tue May 24, 2011 10:13 am

I'd try to rent Jose Reyes for the rest of the year, move Asdrubal to 2B, and platoon OC and Mannahan at 3rd. Probably a much more reasonable price than Wright, who would be a PR disaster for the Mets to trade with 1.5 years left. That team sucks but he's a star in NY. I don't think the fans in that market will be too sympathetic to the Wilpons being broke. We also should be in the market for a Byrd/Pavano type veteran starter to put in the 4 or 5 spot. Our rotation is paper thin after the top 3.
Last edited by Kingpin74 on Tue May 24, 2011 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Well then I guess there's only one thing left to do...win the whole, f***in', thing."- Jake Taylor
Kingpin74

Favorite Player: Mario Lemieux
Least Favorite Player: Dwight Howard

Unread postby RedDawg53 » Tue May 24, 2011 10:14 am

Maybe we could get Blake back from the Dodgers for "cash consideration". That could be your 3B & OF, although Blake never has played LF.

I wouldn't mind seeing that scenerio, but then again Hannahan been great at the hot corner. Jack is a better defensively while Blake has the better bat (in 14-15 games so far that he's played for the Dodgers).

Gotta wait til after the All-Star break. Maybe things will change. In July 2007, I was against the Tribe trading for Kenny Lofton (so was Bruce Drennan if I remember correctly), not sure how everyone on this board felt. To my surprise that trade was fantastic.

If there is the chance to get David Wright.. as much as I like the "potential" of Lonnie, think with your head and not with your heart. The biggest risk is not taking one. And yeah, I would offer to drive Lonnie to the airport.
RedDawg53
Witness The Kipnis

Favorite Player: Nick Swisher
Least Favorite Player: NYY

Unread postby swerb » Tue May 24, 2011 10:18 am

I'm just excited to be talking about this shit.

If you would have told me two months ago that we'd be talking about the 30-15 Indians adding David Wright to get them over the top, I would have told you you're crazier than Delonte West off his meds.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby Kingpin74 » Tue May 24, 2011 10:19 am

I'm just excited to be talking about this shit.

Amen, it will be so much fun to have a summer of relevant baseball.
"Well then I guess there's only one thing left to do...win the whole, f***in', thing."- Jake Taylor
Kingpin74

Unread postby RedDawg53 » Tue May 24, 2011 10:22 am

swerb wrote:I'm just excited to be talking about this shit.

If you would have told me two months ago that we'd be talking about the 30-15 Indians adding David Wright to get them over the top, I would have told you you're crazier than Delonte West off his meds.

I don't drive a 3-wheeled motorcycle (yeah, that's badass) and I don't own 9mm Beretta pistol, .357 Magnum and a Remington 870. I also don't own a guitar or a guitar case. Are we talking about Delonte or Antonie Banderas from "Desperado"?

I also haven't slept with Gloria yet.
RedDawg53
Witness The Kipnis

Unread postby gotribe31 » Tue May 24, 2011 10:42 am

bookelly wrote:
gotribe31 wrote:His back is broken. I repeat; his BACK is BROKEN. If he were healthy, it would cost too much and if he's not healthy, then there's no point.

He has a stress fracture in his back yes. He didn't even know about it and played four games. He's currently on rest for a week until it heals and then he's back to baseball activities. If anything, this lowers the asking price.

Look guys, I don't mean to harp on this, but it's just a great fit. When you look around the team you think of where the weak points are and Hanahands bat always comes up but you say no...we must live with that for the glove. Well, Mr. Wright has two Gold Gloves...

Does anyone really want to see the Chiz up here for his glove? This staff relies on IF D. And the Chiz is no Wiz at the hot corner.

Of course it is a great fit. Albert Pujols would be a great fit too. But again, if he's healthy, the cost will be prohibitive and if he isn't, it's pointless. The only way it lowers the asking price is if he's really hurt.

And I'll bet you a case of great lakes he's not back playing in a week.
You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves
-----Abe Lincoln

Let me tell you, if any of you douchebag empty headed stuffed suit nanny politicians tries to fuck with my bacon, I’m going after you like a crazed chimpanzee on bath salts.
-----Lars
gotribe31

Unread postby skatingtripods » Tue May 24, 2011 10:46 am

I think what we're going to see are depth moves rather than a big name. There's no way they move Pomeranz, Chiz, Phelps, or Kipnis. But, they can move A guys like Soto, maybe guys like Barnes or McAllister at AAA. Those guys return you a solid, not spectacular, player.

Case in point, we got Barnes for Betancourt. Those are guys that can get you an 8th inning RHP or maybe a veteran SP.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby gotribe31 » Tue May 24, 2011 10:48 am

skatingtripods wrote:I think what we're going to see are depth moves rather than a big name. There's no way they move Pomeranz, Chiz, Phelps, or Kipnis. But, they can move A guys like Soto, maybe guys like Barnes or McAllister at AAA. Those guys return you a solid, not spectacular, player.

Case in point, we got Barnes for Betancourt. Those are guys that can get you an 8th inning RHP or maybe a veteran SP.

We actually got Barnes for Garko and McAllister for Austin Kearns, but your point is valid.
-----Abe Lincoln

-----Lars
gotribe31

Unread postby bookelly » Tue May 24, 2011 10:51 am

Kingpin74 wrote:I'd try to rent Jose Reyes for the rest of the year, move Asdrubal to 2B, and platoon OC and Mannahan at 3rd. Probably a much more reasonable price than Wright, who would be a PR disaster for the Mets to trade with 1.5 years left. That team sucks but he's a star in NY. I don't think the fans in that market will be too sympathetic to the Wilpons being broke. We also should be in the market for a Byrd/Pavano type veteran starter to put in the 4 or 5 spot. Our rotation is paper thin after the top 3.

We have Tomlin, Masterson, Carmona, Carrasco, Talbot, Gomez, Mcallister, Huff, Putnam. And add White in mid August. I wouldn't add a starting arm unless Cleveland sports happens. There are two known guys in AAA that can come up and pitch MLB, and two rooks who look promising. McAllister has won 7 games in 8 starts with a 1.02 WHIP and a 4:1 K/BB ratio.

If we're gonna add a player, look to the three weak spots in the everyday lineup offensively (excluding Santana - who is not really a weak spot but that is another thread).

Laporta - he's not going anywhere but 1B should see more production. And I think he's gonna get better.

Uncle - Team leader. Mediocre defense (his range is not good) and worse overall bat. BUT, he has a knack for doing exactly what is needed at the right time. He's a winner. So we're not gonna trade for a guy to take his spot. That would be a demoralizing effort. I hope we see Cord Phelps come up and get some AB's tho.

Hanahands. I love this guys glove. But realistically, he's hit >.200 since his fiery start. At what point does your OPS become such a liability that your glove can't help. The hit last night that started the game winning rally was really an error. The guy is clutch with the glove, but do you want him in the ALCS against CC with the tying run at third? BTW- this is not mutually exclusive. You can still have Jack on your team cause I think he plays everywhere but P, RF, C and CF.

Anyway, we need a better 3B. That's our one hole in the lineup. Hence this David Wright thread.
Last edited by bookelly on Tue May 24, 2011 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

bookelly
Happy Easter!!

Unread postby Kingpin74 » Tue May 24, 2011 10:54 am

I agree that Pomeranz is close to untouchable right now. Cheap young pitching is this team's only chance to contend on a regular basis. But I wouldn't get too attached to Chisenhall and Kipnis. You can find position players down the road if you know what you're doing. Like Peeker said, either of those guys would be very lucky to be David Wright/Jose Reyes/Other hot trade names when all's said and done. And remember, you get a couple of first round draft picks for these guys when they leave as free agents as well.

I just have to think that Pomeranz would be a non-negotiable part of the Mets asking price for Wright. He's a marketable star and has 1.5/2.5 years left on his deal at an appropriate salary. It would have to be worth their while. That's why I think the Reyes type rent-a-players are more realistic for us.
Kingpin74

Unread postby bookelly » Tue May 24, 2011 10:57 am

gotribe31 wrote:
bookelly wrote:

Of course it is a great fit. Albert Pujols would be a great fit too. But again, if he's healthy, the cost will be prohibitive and if he isn't, it's pointless. The only way it lowers the asking price is if he's really hurt.

And I'll bet you a case of great lakes he's not back playing in a week.

Baseball activities in a week. Per my fantasy update thingy. Not scheduled to return for 20[edit- seeing specialist today in LA...] days or so.
Last edited by bookelly on Tue May 24, 2011 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

bookelly
Happy Easter!!

Unread postby Kingpin74 » Tue May 24, 2011 11:00 am

Anyway, we need a better 3B. That's our one hole in the lineup. Hence this David Wright thread.

In that case, couldn't Reyes play an adequate third base for a few months? He wouldn't be staying here anyway so he wouldn't have to sulk about a permanent position shift. He's one of the best gloves in the league at short and his bat would be worth it even if he ends up being a defensive downgrade from Hannahan.
Kingpin74

Unread postby bookelly » Tue May 24, 2011 11:07 am

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/709555-mlb-trade-rumors-jose-reyes-felix-hernandez-and-all-the-latest-buzz/entry/86110-mlb-trade-rumors-jose-reyes-and-new-york-mets-ready-to-part-ways

I think the Giants are in on Reyes. And would a guy be willing to switch positions in a contract year? I don't know. Also, my source above has the Twins as a possible destination. So take it for what it's worth. :pigs:

He's a great player tho.

bookelly
Happy Easter!!

Unread postby googleeph2 » Tue May 24, 2011 11:16 am

I agree with the Tribe brass that pitching is the key.
To the point that if they're really in the playoff hunt later in the year, getting an experienced starter and maybe a reliever as well is what I'd want.

Shouldn't need to deal high-minors untouchables. I thought the system's strength was in depth vs. high end prospects anyway.

I think of Byrd in 2007. CC and nana-NANAna, FAUST-O, CARMONAAA (sorry, channeling The Knack) were the best starters but Byrd was clutch in the playoffs. I want a guy or 2 like that. Maybe has a 4.00 ERA but with the makeup to man up come playoff time. And maybe a calming presence a la Orly. I love our starters, but can't see throwing just them out there in a packed Yankee Stadium or Fenway in October.

And yes, this is great.
googleeph2

Favorite Player: Todd Beamer
Least Favorite Player: .

Unread postby Jumbo » Tue May 24, 2011 11:19 am

skatingtripods wrote:I think what we're going to see are depth moves rather than a big name. There's no way they move Pomeranz, Chiz, Phelps, or Kipnis.

Shouldn't they actually be looking to move one of Phelps or Kipnis? Only one of them can play second base down the road.

It looks like the Mets a major hole at second base. Hmm...Phelps or Kipnis + Hagadone for Wright? But that leaves Chiz blocked, but there'd be no rush to deal him or anything.

Or...you know...Carlos Beltran just happens to be hitting .280/.377/.910 this year. Just saying.
Jumbo
Chowderhead

Unread postby gotribe31 » Tue May 24, 2011 11:22 am

Jumbo wrote:
skatingtripods wrote:I think what we're going to see are depth moves rather than a big name. There's no way they move Pomeranz, Chiz, Phelps, or Kipnis.

Shouldn't they actually be looking to move one of Phelps or Kipnis? Only one of them can play second base down the road.

It looks like the Mets a major hole at second base. Hmm...Phelps or Kipnis + Hagadone for Wright? But that leaves Chiz blocked, but there'd be no rush to deal him or anything.

Or...you know...Carlos Beltran just happens to be hitting .280/.377/.910 this year. Just saying.

Why would the Mets deal an MVP-caliber 3B for a projected above-average 2B and a lefty reliever?
-----Abe Lincoln

-----Lars
gotribe31

Unread postby Kingpin74 » Tue May 24, 2011 11:24 am

I love our starters, but can't see throwing just them out there in a packed Yankee Stadium or Fenway in October.

Bingo. Even if he isn't great, a veteran leader is huge for a young pitching staff in a playoff race and the playoffs themselves.
Kingpin74

Unread postby bookelly » Tue May 24, 2011 11:39 am

Just crunched a few numbers here;

If we play .500 ball we wind up with 96 wins.

Detroit would have to play at a .643 clip to catch up to that win total. Besides Philly, no other team besides the Tribe has an over .600 clip (philly is .612).

Obviously anything can and will happen. But realistically if you're the Chris Antonelli, the post-season has to be the end game plan.

We need;

More Bullpen - on its way in house or a guy thats a closer on another team willing to step into the hold role.

Starter - in house too. I'd hate to see a gun for hire come in here with a 5. ERA. Unless its a Jedi type guy who can show the young guys how to cheat their way out of a jam.

And either -2 medium bats from in house like Kipnis/Chiz/Phelps (I think these guys will be great down the road, I'm just thinking this year )
or
1 mega bat.

I vote mega bat.

bookelly
Happy Easter!!

Unread postby skatingtripods » Tue May 24, 2011 11:56 am

gotribe31 wrote:We actually got Barnes for Garko and McAllister for Austin Kearns, but your point is valid.

Yeah, my bad. I get the Barnes/Garko, Graham/Betancourt deals mixed up all the time.

I realized my McAllister mistake and deleted it from my post, but you saw it first.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby dazindiansfanuk » Tue May 24, 2011 11:58 am

I brought up David Wright on Tony's boards a week or so ago - before he was hurt.

As a player, he's a great fit. But the biggest questions are: -

1. Would the Mets risk the backlash of trading their best player
2. Would the Tribe be able to take on a $15m salary
3. Would the Tribe be prepared to cough up the prospects to get it done

When you consider all those things, it's just a very very long shot!
dazindiansfanuk
Tyner Is God

Favorite Player: Jhonny Peralta
Least Favorite Player: Curt Schilling

Unread postby WiscTribeFan » Tue May 24, 2011 12:02 pm

I was looking through the 3B in the majors and was stunned by a few things.

1) Jose Bautista has 19 dingers. Holy Christ. How did this guy go from borderine solid player to a freak of nature?
2) Jhonny Peralta has a line of .295/.355/.503 with 7 dingers and 26 RBI.

Given that no-one thought we'd be where we are right now, it probably cost us a chance to maybe go after a guy like Michael Young in the off-season. He'd be a solid stick in our lineup right now.

Aramis Ramirez might also be a consideration from my woe-begotten Cubs, although his power is way down this year. Problem is, if he's dealt, the $16M option for 2012 kicks in automatically.
Don't go away mad, just go away.
WiscTribeFan
Mook

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby smalls1129 » Tue May 24, 2011 12:03 pm

I've been thinking since hearing about the financial of the Mets and Dodgers that if we're going to go after a stud bat it should be from one o of those teams. We need to take advantage of someone else being broke for once and come away with a young all start, if not I think you keep the chemistry you have going and ride it out.
"Strangers passing in the street, by chances two separate glances meet and I am you and what I see his me."
smalls1129

Favorite Player: A-Cab
Least Favorite Player: Squire James

Unread postby bookelly » Tue May 24, 2011 12:08 pm

gotribe31 wrote:
Jumbo wrote:

Why would the Mets deal an MVP-caliber 3B for a projected above-average 2B and a lefty reliever?

It would take a ton more than that or the NY media would lynch Wilpon.

bookelly
Happy Easter!!

Unread postby Jumbo » Tue May 24, 2011 12:27 pm

bookelly wrote:
gotribe31 wrote:
Jumbo wrote:

It would take a ton more than that or the NY media would lynch Wilpon.

Three things:

(1) Upthread it sounded like we'd be doing the Mets a favor to take a crippled ~$16 million salary off their hands. Of course, if Wright was healthy, it would take a lot more to get him.

(2) I don't see Chiz+Lefty (bookelly's OP) being so much better Kipnis/Phelps+Lefty that the former would be a good deal for the Mets while the second would result in Wilpon being lynched. Perhaps you're overrating Chiz's value? (He's probably get lynched in either case, but I don't see it as Chiz>>>>>>Kipnis/Phelps)

(3) If the Wilpons really do have to dump salary, then WTF do I care what happens with the Mets fans? Offer to take the contract, and screw it if they say no. Let the shoe be on the other foot for once.
Last edited by Jumbo on Tue May 24, 2011 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jumbo
Chowderhead

Unread postby swerb » Tue May 24, 2011 12:27 pm

The financial problems w the Mets and Dodgers are very real. That, coupled with the facts that both teams will almost assuredly be out of it in July ... and are loaded with players on short term deals that could help us ... could be a stroke of good luck for the Indians, who are producing, and will continue to produce much more revenue than even their most optimistic models showed this off-season.

Thing about David Wright though, as someone mentioned upthread ... he's young, in his prime, marketable, and likable. In a market like NY, even with a crap team, a guy like that produces a lot of bottom line revenue. Trading him will also heavily impact jersey and ticket sales this year and next. Not saying they wouldn't move him in the right deal ... but it's not gonna be a Kipsnis and Hagadone package that gets it done. I agree with whoever said that Pomeranz would prolly have to be in the deal. Or Chis and a couple other big time prospects, maybe one of em lower level.

I do not believe the Indians will deal any of their elite level prospect SP's. They firmly feel that is their only chance of staying competitive for a long time, doing it with young, talented, waves of hard throwing home grown arms. And its hard to argue that.

Aramis Ramirez, cause of the buyout, wouldn't be an option. Not a lot of other 3B options out there.

To me, the most likely scenario offensively is the Indians going after a Casey Blake or Jamey Carroll type. You have Hannahan, you have Jason Donald coming back down the road ... and a vet "grinder" option gives you some pieces to choose from there if Hannahan is hitting .230 on Aug 15.

And if Grady can't come back, potentially trying to go after a Jason Kubel/Ryan Ludwick type ... or maybe even a Beltran.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby RedDawg53 » Tue May 24, 2011 12:35 pm

smalls1129 wrote:I've been thinking since hearing about the financial of the Mets and Dodgers that if we're going to go after a stud bat it should be from one o of those teams. We need to take advantage of someone else being broke for once and come away with a young all start, if not I think you keep the chemistry you have going and ride it out.

I see the Dodgers as sellers... IMO, I think they will take cash considerations, single-A prospect, PTBNL, or a bag of balls (stuffed with money, of course). Fire sale in Dodger town.
RedDawg53
Witness The Kipnis

Unread postby WiscTribeFan » Tue May 24, 2011 12:36 pm

I agree with Rich on many levels. One goal would be to simply get better production out of that lineup spot without sacrificing a ton in terms of defense. If Blake were healthy, then he'd actually be a decent option. Aside from that, there's not a ton of upside out there that's available.

The Tribe will not gut the farm system in order to put someone like Wright on the team. It would, most likely, cost 2-3 of our top prospects for the Mets to even consider moving him. It's not going to happen.
Last edited by WiscTribeFan on Tue May 24, 2011 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WiscTribeFan
Mook

Unread postby Dellucci TailGator » Tue May 24, 2011 12:36 pm

I think Beltran is a perfect solution. The guy doesn't want to be the star, so he doesn't screw up the chemistry. And his stint with the Astros where he was Jesus H. Beltran, Centerfielder and Esquire, make me think he could handle the change well. Plus, he is a switch hitter. Someone to balance out this line-up who can legitimately hit in the sixth spot (apologies to Uncle Orly) works for me.

Blake is another good solution, given his ability to play everywhere and his prior relationship with the Tribe. Ditto with Ryan Ludwick.

And as others have said: if this team is without Grady and Hafner for much of the season, you can't keep putting Hannahan out there. If they are back, you live with him in the eight or nine spot.

David Wright fits, but I'd worry he would need to become the team's centerpiece player and mess with the vibe this team has. That's why an older, more subservient player is my ideal.
Dellucci TailGator

Favorite Player: Derek Lilliquist
Least Favorite Player: Matt LaPorta

Unread postby WiscTribeFan » Tue May 24, 2011 12:41 pm

I think that we could pry Beltan away for very little in return if we were willing to foot the rest of his salary, which isn't an insignificant sum.

The Mets are a mess. Most of their big FA signings in the last few years have been total busts. Who'd have thought Jason Bay would turn into a toad after that great year he had?
Last edited by WiscTribeFan on Tue May 24, 2011 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WiscTribeFan
Mook

Unread postby swerb » Tue May 24, 2011 12:42 pm

RedDawg53 wrote:
smalls1129 wrote:I've been thinking since hearing about the financial of the Mets and Dodgers that if we're going to go after a stud bat it should be from one o of those teams. We need to take advantage of someone else being broke for once and come away with a young all start, if not I think you keep the chemistry you have going and ride it out.

I see the Dodgers as sellers... IMO, I think they will take cash considerations, single-A prospect, PTBNL, or a bag of balls (stuffed with money, of course). Fire sale in Dodger town.

The Dodgers are 21-28, and are already 7-8 games back of the defending champion Giants, who look just as good this year. Also, the Rockies, despite recent struggles ... are gonna heat back up.

Dodgers pitching has been a mess. Lilly and Garland have been disappointments, and the back end of their pen, led by Broxton, has been a disaster.

They'll be toast by July 10. I believe they will be big time sellers. New manager there for the long haul, team in desperate financial straits ... shitty farm system. Sellers.

All kinds of infield options there: Loney, Blake, Carroll, Juan Uribe. Jon Garland is on a one year, 5mm deal. And some back end of the pen options as well.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby peeker643 » Tue May 24, 2011 12:49 pm

Beltran has been as unhealthy as Grady and is more expensive. Half a year of Beltran is actually more than Grady.

Wright is the perfect type of player IF healthy.

I have no issue with using position prospects as chips.

I have no desire for any bullpen help that isn't named Hagadone, etc.

Protect your pitching prospects and utilize your position prospects in deals.

We here ALWAYS overvalue the prospects in our organization. I'm not listening to anyone tell me otherwise because that would make me go pull threads instead of actually earn my salary today.

And believe me, there are dozens of threads to pull.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby smalls1129 » Tue May 24, 2011 12:58 pm

I might get shot for this but, if it takes adding Choo to a package that includes CB and DW in order to lessen the prospects needed then I seriously consider it. With the Boras connection I already feel like we're renting him and if we can convince the Mets of the international appeal minimizing the backlash of trading Wright then so be it.
"Strangers passing in the street, by chances two separate glances meet and I am you and what I see his me."
smalls1129

Favorite Player: A-Cab
Least Favorite Player: Squire James

Unread postby skatingtripods » Tue May 24, 2011 1:02 pm

It's premature for this thread because the team's trade needs are going to be dictated by the injuries they have in a month and a half/two months time. If Hafner and Sizemore do come back, there's no need for Beltran.

Wright's the only one that unequivocally makes sense, but are we willing to pay a king's ransom for a rental that doesn't help the most questionable playoff component of the team - the rotation.

Put me down for a veteran LH SP and a more experienced RHP for the 8th. I like Pestano's resolve and mentality, but do I want it in the 8th inning of the ALDS against A-Rod and Tex or against Nelson Cruz or Youkilis? Not really.

Who that RHP may be, I don't know. The middle relief crop is mediocre and the closer crop will be very costly.

I'd like Hiroki Kuroda, but he has a no trade clause. I doubt he'd waive it to come to Cleveland.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby RedDawg53 » Tue May 24, 2011 1:11 pm

swerb wrote:
RedDawg53 wrote:

The Dodgers are 21-28, and are already 7-8 games back of the defending champion Giants, who look just as good this year. Also, the Rockies, despite recent struggles ... are gonna heat back up.

Dodgers pitching has been a mess. Lilly and Garland have been disappointments, and the back end of their pen, led by Broxton, has been a disaster.

They'll be toast by July 10. I believe they will be big time sellers. New manager there for the long haul, team in desperate financial straits ... shitty farm system. Sellers.

All kinds of infield options there: Loney, Blake, Carroll, Juan Uribe. Jon Garland is on a one year, 5mm deal. And some back end of the pen options as well.

From what I see, Loney is mostly a 1B and is batting .240. Would he be a better option than LaPorta. Defensively, yes. Hell, maybe a change of leagues and no turmoil in the front office, might benefit Loney.

Carroll I would pass on. Don't need another slap-n-judy. Adam Everett has that role filled.

Uribe, hmm just looked at his stats, might be better than Hannahan at 3B. Would be a plus if he has the production that he had with SFG last year. 24HR, 85RBI, .248avg. Not too bad.

Garland, can't hurt to have a vet and to have an extra SP. Injuries might happen. Jon could be that Paul Byrd of '07.

Also, I've noticed Coco Crisp might be available from the last place A's. Might get more butts in the seats at the Prog. Better than Kearns, Buck, and even Sloth Duncan, IMO. Kearns could be DFA to clear a roster spot for Covelli.
RedDawg53
Witness The Kipnis

Unread postby RedDawg53 » Tue May 24, 2011 1:16 pm

smalls1129 wrote:I might get shot for this but, if it takes adding Choo to a package that includes CB and DW in order to lessen the prospects needed then I seriously consider it. With the Boras connection I already feel like we're renting him and if we can convince the Mets of the international appeal minimizing the backlash of trading Wright then so be it.

Say that again. I dare ya, I doulble dawg dare ya. Choo out of your mind? : )
Attachments
l_f9e008ed8c5157db49189029ca6a88bb.jpg
l_f9e008ed8c5157db49189029ca6a88bb.jpg (7.79 KiB) Viewed 3312 times
RedDawg53
Witness The Kipnis

Unread postby skatingtripods » Tue May 24, 2011 1:20 pm

RedDawg53 wrote:Carroll I would pass on. Don't need another slap-n-judy. Adam Everett has that role filled.

Just thought I'd mention that Carroll's .374 OBP leads ALL Major League SS.

But carry on.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby swerb » Tue May 24, 2011 1:26 pm

skatingtripods wrote:
RedDawg53 wrote:Carroll I would pass on. Don't need another slap-n-judy. Adam Everett has that role filled.

But carry on.

Dude is having a monster year. And he's a grinder.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby RedDawg53 » Tue May 24, 2011 1:27 pm

skatingtripods wrote:

But carry on.

Jamey must be getting a little help from Man-Ram.
Attachments
l_f9e008ed8c5157db49189029ca6a88bb.jpg
l_f9e008ed8c5157db49189029ca6a88bb.jpg (36.87 KiB) Viewed 3276 times
RedDawg53
Witness The Kipnis

Unread postby peeker643 » Tue May 24, 2011 1:33 pm

No on Carroll.

We had to give up a stud prospect like Sean Smith the first time he was acquired and that was a steep price.

Kind of hits the point that our prospects are almost always over-valued.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby scrambler » Tue May 24, 2011 1:52 pm

bookelly wrote:Just crunched a few numbers here;

If we play .500 ball we wind up with 96 wins.

Detroit would have to play at a .643 clip to catch up to that win total. Besides Philly, no other team besides the Tribe has an over .600 clip (philly is .612).

Not a big deal, but .500 ball only gives us 88 wins. (or 89 if you're optimistic as we're at an odd number of games played right now.)
scrambler

Favorite Player: Charlie Spikes
Least Favorite Player: Oelkers/Yett

Next

Return to Cleveland Indians & MLB