Text Size

Cleveland Browns & The NFL

Players move from NFL to UFL now!

Talk Browns football and discuss the NFL here.

Moderators: peeker643, jb, swerb, pup

Players move from NFL to UFL now!

Unread postby Soul_Thief_420 » Tue May 17, 2011 1:01 pm

isn't it reasonable to assume that because the owners have locked out the players, the owners would be considered in breach of contract with the players? and if that is the case, wouldn't the players be free to look for employment elsewhere?

i say all the players should just desert the sinking ship s.s. nfl and all go over to the ufl and play...the owners would lose all their hard earned leverage...the owners keep fighting to keep the lockout in place, it could stay locked out forever this way.

we really don't need the nfl to have football...nfl, ufl,...a rose by any other name, ya know...fuck the owners, if they don't want football...we should make sure the big greedy babies don't get football.

the season is gonna be a bust anyway, might as well make good use of the time and build the ufl teams while the time is ripe!

i just hope all the cities who give teams tax breaks put the screws to the owners and demand compensation for the loss of the 2011 season.

Here's a sign for you nfl owners... :tool:
The opinions of worthless people...are equally worthless.
Soul_Thief_420

Favorite Player: Bernie Kosar
Least Favorite Player: Art Modell

Re: Players move from NFL to UFL now!

Unread postby hiko » Tue May 17, 2011 1:16 pm

What, you think there aren't owners in the UFL?

I'm sure that many players can choose to leave for the UFL or CFL if they want. Even the ones under contract could probably jump ship.

But the players all know that the NFL will re-appear at some point, so jumping ship would be collossally stupid. It's not like they'll be making big bucks with the UFL - the UFL can't afford to pay them shit. And I know that everyone thinks that 80,000 people will pack the stadium to watch the Butte Rattlesnakes if Adrian Peterson jumps ship, but the truth is that a lot of fans have a connection with the NFL team as much/more than with the players.

There's a reason that the USFL died.

Personally, I couldn't give a fuck less who plays for the Cleveland Burning Rivers (if Cleveland even got a UFL franchise), I don't want to see some crappy expansion-looking football team that'll probably be non-existant in a year just because Jay Cutler is the QB. Count me out of giving a fuck about the UFL.

Not to mention the contracts with the major stadiums that these UFL teams don't have. And the non-existant TV contracts.

The players will break soon enough and be back on real NFL teams. Why anyone would hope they bolted to some shithole alternate universe league is beyond me.

PS - It's not the owners who refuse to mediate in earnest.
hiko

Favorite Player: Gray
Least Favorite Player: Black and White

Unread postby Triple-S » Tue May 17, 2011 1:34 pm

The UFL was not designed to compete with the NFL, rather to try to be some psuedo farm league for the NFL.

The USFL was dumb in trying to compete with the NFL directly head to head.

I think the easiest way to do a spring league is..to have it set up like the minors, and have it just be the Arena league. Cleveland's team could just be in Cleveland for example, and be made up of guys trying to battle it out for a right to make the camp roster, and to try to see if they could find some diamonds in the rough.
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories

Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Unread postby Spin » Tue May 17, 2011 5:56 pm

Soul_Thief_420 wrote:isn't it reasonable to assume that because the owners have locked out the players, the owners would be considered in breach of contract with the players?

It's not a breach of contract as the contract expired. When the contract expired, the owners locked out the players, which was their option.
Spin

Favorite Player: Jack N. Coke
Least Favorite Player: 72 hour work weeks

Unread postby jb » Tue May 17, 2011 10:36 pm

hiko wrote:There's a reason that the USFL died.

jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby FUDU » Tue May 17, 2011 10:43 pm

Mack was jealous of those shoulder pads.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby Spin » Wed May 18, 2011 8:52 am

The USFL died because they didn't put a team in Akron.
Spin

Favorite Player: Jack N. Coke
Least Favorite Player: 72 hour work weeks

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Wed May 18, 2011 9:54 am

I've never heard of the UFL.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby bac5665 » Wed May 18, 2011 11:19 am

You know what the UFL needs to do to succeed? Pay ESPN what ever the hell it takes to get UFL scores on the website. If I can get womens track scores on ESPN now, and I can, I would think the UFL could get a page. But if that happens, people will see those scores and then watch.

Now, getting on ESPN might cost the UFL more money than they have, but that's another problem.
bac5665

Favorite Player: Jason Kipnis
Least Favorite Player: Bug Selig

Unread postby mistero » Wed May 18, 2011 9:44 pm

I watch the NFL and I watch the Browns. I could care less who they put in those 53 jerseys...obviously since I've been to almost every god forsaken game since 99.

I root for orange and brown. Fuck the players behind this revolt.
In Chud We Trust
mistero

Favorite Player: Miller High Life
Least Favorite Player: Natural Light

Return to Cleveland Browns & The NFL